Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Feb 22, 2017, 08:32 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber
Default It's better to drive a slow car fast than it is to...

Why You'll Never Learn to Be Fast Until You Get Rid of Your Fast Car

"In fact, I'm so sick of "slow cars fast," and the passive-aggressive, player-hater mentality that typically accompanies it, that I've come up with a snippy little response that I deliver at every opportunity: "Sure, but it's better to drive a fast car fast than it is to spend your life chugging along in a slow car." You're a fool if you think that some of the big-bore drivers out there aren't pushing just as hard, and just as skillfully, as the most talented Spec Miata racer in your local SCCA region. Not everybody with a "Jake" emblem on his Z06 is an utter moron, you know. Some of them can really wheel.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cult...your-fast-car/

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2017, 09:01 PM   #2
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Cool article, definitely makes good points too.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2017, 05:30 PM   #3
Shadowless
Deez Nuts

Shadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShadowless doesn't need no stinkin' badges

If this article was written by anyone other than Jack Baruth I wouldn't have taken a word of it seriously.
Desktop - MSI MPG Gungnir 111M | MSI MAG Z590 Tomahawk Wifi | Intel Core i7 11700K | Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200 | 1TB Intel 670p | 2TB Samsung 860 EVO | PNY GeForce RTX 3070 XLR8 Gaming REVEL | Sound BlasterX AE-5 Plus | SeaSonic Focus GX-750 | Acer ET322QU | Windows 10 Pro
Shadowless is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 25, 2017, 06:03 AM   #4
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Yeah but it is not nearly as exciting.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 09:10 AM   #5
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Yeah but it is not nearly as exciting.
Then you aren't driving hard enough...
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2017, 09:19 AM   #6
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Then you aren't driving hard enough...
You can only push a Miata gas pedal into the floor so far, it's not going to make it any quicker.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 09:50 AM   #7
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationElysian has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
You can only push a Miata gas pedal into the floor so far, it's not going to make it any quicker.
It's easier to drive a Miata at its limits than a Ferrari. Driving at the limits is exciting, even if it's not terribly fast.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2017, 09:59 AM   #8
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Any real race driver will tell you that they would rather drive a race prepped Miata than a standard street Ferrari on a track. It's just apples to oranges.

However, it mostly will depend on the track. Driving a car like a Viper on a small track is going to be tedious. You'll never hit full throttle and you'll be muscling around it's weight through the course. However, you'll be able to fully take over the track using a Miata to it's full potential. Doing the same in reverse (i.e. driving a Miata on Road America), yea there are going to be plenty of stretches where you are just "waiting".

What the article is referring to though is mainly around looking at lap times. You can run a fast lap in a fast car, but that doesn't make you a fast driver. For instance, on some tracks, my S2000 is 5-6 seconds faster than a street driven C7 Z06.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote