Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Mar 27, 2019, 05:58 AM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Andy22
Radeon R700

Andy22 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyko View Post

Lure him off the tower and then when he’s chasing you dive into the river. Wait a few seconds and jump back up to the area. If you time it right he’ll be walking past the area back up to the tower. Go stealth, sneak up behind him and deathblow his @ss.
Nice...I like it
Andy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2019, 07:07 AM   #62
borat
Radeon R700

borat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyborat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyborat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

If this is tougher than Dark Souls 1 then I'm out.

I don't like to get help from guides or even advice from people.

Is it tougher or just different?
borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:08 AM   #63
Drexion
Radeon Sea Islands

Drexion once held a door open for a complete strangerDrexion once held a door open for a complete strangerDrexion once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by borat View Post
If this is tougher than Dark Souls 1 then I'm out. Is it tougher or just different?
LOL, this game makes DS1 look like Hello Kitty Island Adventure. Saw on top the Sekiro sub a couple days ago this post, "Sekiro is the Dark Souls of FromSoftware games", which is a better way of putting it. Never seen so many "rage quit" posts before.

That said, the core combat gameplay is different to Soulsborne games and it has a rythmic style that will click for some players - so there'll be a small percentage of players that will have an easier time.
[Proc: Intel Core i7 [email protected]][GPU: MSI RTX3060Ti 8GB][Mem: 64GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 2666-DDR4][Mobo: Asus X99-A][HD: Samsung 1TB SSD 870 EVO][PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W G2][Audio: Yamaha RX-V673 7.2/JBL 7.2 Surround]
Drexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:17 AM   #64
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I really get the sense a lot of players are having a tough time getting into the difference of the combat in this game because of Soulsbourne muscle memory.

Its a tough game obviously, not trying to downplay that. But its still just a game, and a brilliantly designed and fair one at that. So its just a matter of time, patience, and practice before you can learn the mechanics and it becomes easier. That said, the early hours of these games before that learning sets in is when a lot of whining and rage quitting will happen. Its been that way with every new FS game.

Honestly I applaud From Soft for recognizing their Souls formula was getting old and having the will to take the risk of changing it up before it gets too stale. That kind of thinking is what can separate good developers from legendary ones, and keeps us players on our toes. Love it.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:33 AM   #65
methimpikehoses
transmigrator

methimpikehoses is still being judged by the masses

Dark Souls was the upper limit of difficulty where I was still enjoying myself, most of the time. Not interested in dedicating significant time and energy on this frustration fest. PASS.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:50 AM   #66
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
There's plenty of parrying videos online to help you. Just don't be afraid to die a bunch learning it. Find a good spot not too far from a bonfire and just practice. Its all about patience and timing, and learning the enemy attack pattern.
Why not just use Hanbei? That's what FS put him there for.

Brilliant game btw.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:21 PM   #67
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by methimpikehoses View Post
Dark Souls was the upper limit of difficulty where I was still enjoying myself, most of the time. Not interested in dedicating significant time and energy on this frustration fest. PASS.
To be fair its not a "frustration fest" for everyone. Some people genuinely enjoy challenge in video games, especially when its designed with such quality as in From Soft games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
Why not just use Hanbei? That's what FS put him there for.

Brilliant game btw.
Correct! But I believe he was asking about parrying in Dark Souls so that's what I was referring to.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 01:09 PM   #68
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
To be fair its not a "frustration fest" for everyone. Some people genuinely enjoy challenge in video games, especially when its designed with such quality as in From Soft games.

Correct! But I believe he was asking about parrying in Dark Souls so that's what I was referring to.
Ah went back and read his, I think you're right.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 02:45 PM   #69
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
So... did you hit 100 hours logged into this one already?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 02:58 PM   #70
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
So... did you hit 100 hours logged into this one already?
2nd playthrough.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 03:14 PM   #71
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
2nd playthrough.
I wouldn't be surprised.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 03:48 PM   #72
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
sorry, lost track of the discussion, I suppose you were talking about my post and if so yes, I was referring to DS3.
Anyway, after reading through the thread, the level of punishment in Sekiro sounds far off for me atm, as my level of masochism is being stressed-tested thoroughlly by a mix of real-life and Dark Souls 3.
l will soon need a more laid-back gaming experience, so I guess I'll hold off Sekiro for the time being. Maybe winter or next year.
Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2019, 04:19 PM   #73
Drexion
Radeon Sea Islands

Drexion once held a door open for a complete strangerDrexion once held a door open for a complete strangerDrexion once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Hanbei
The issue with him is that mobs/minibosses/bosses have widely different timings on their attack animations. So you could be a god against Mr. Undead Practice Dummy but still a weakling against the majority of the game.

No doubt practicing with him helps a lot, though I still think the timing for a successful parry/block/deflect should be loosened just a *little* bit.
[Proc: Intel Core i7 [email protected]][GPU: MSI RTX3060Ti 8GB][Mem: 64GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 2666-DDR4][Mobo: Asus X99-A][HD: Samsung 1TB SSD 870 EVO][PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W G2][Audio: Yamaha RX-V673 7.2/JBL 7.2 Surround]
Drexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2019, 06:35 PM   #74
mercs2007
Radeon HD 6870

mercs2007 once held a door open for a complete strangermercs2007 once held a door open for a complete strangermercs2007 once held a door open for a complete stranger

This game is awesome. If you play this like DS you will die plenty. Total diff mechanics. Learn it and this game is amazing.
mercs2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2019, 01:26 PM   #75
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Agreed this game is awesome. I'm not exaggerating when I say it has potential to possibly become my new favorite From Soft game. Yes, I like it that much.

What's really hitting all the right buttons for me is the fact it feels like they have melded the gameplay of my favorite games of all time - Dark Souls, Zelda, and little bit of Metal Gear Solid.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 03:27 PM   #76
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Not sure yet but I may have found a pretty incredible combat exploit that makes this game, and boss fights especially, waaay easier.

Apparently whenever you're having trouble with a particularly nasty and fast enemy attack just spam the deflect button and you will pretty much always deflect it without having to get your timing perfect. Don't hold it down, that's just a normal block - but keep mashing the button and you'll always get a deflect. It just eliminates the need to have Jedi reflexes with the timing.

When I figured this out I beat the Gyoubu Oniwa mounted horsemen boss pretty easily. As an aside just dawned on me this guy is the first proper "boss" in the game. I guess everyone I've faced up to this point has been mini-bosses.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 06:29 PM   #77
Brainstew
The Nameless One

Brainstew can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyBrainstew can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

It has nothing to do with new mechanics, this game is legitimately the hardest From game of this era. In Bloodborne when you run into Darkbeast Paarl the first time you know right away that you probably shouldn't be fighting that guy yet. Half the bosses in this game feel like that first run in with Paarl, except they are literally the boss you need to fight.

I'm still enjoying the Hell out of the game though, but I grew up on NES and SNES games that were always this hard.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 06:52 PM   #78
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Yes, the hardest From Soft game yet for sure. Mainly because the margin of error is smaller and on top of that the game design encourages aggressive play which gets you killed easier.

That said though, I've only encountered 5 or so mini-bosses so far and the first real boss fight just today but i haven't run into anything yet that seems balls to wall impossibly difficult. Every enemy type I've seen has a predictable pattern to their attacks. Just learn that and its doable. Also I imagine things will get easier as you level up your health, posture, and attack power. In addition there's several different upgrade trees which gives who knows what kinds of useful abilities. I'm thinking once we learn what all the upgrades are there will be a few in there that can be considered easy mode for this game.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 07:24 PM   #79
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

It took me about 90 attempts to kill the Psycho Troll .. but I one shot the flaming bull and the mounted horseman, 5 attempts on lady butterfly, and shinobi hunter took about 15-18 attempts until I cheesed him accidentally.

I just ran into a full-on boss just now, forgot his name but he’s in castle and he killed me in the first 6 seconds of the fight before I had to leave for work.

The games tracking is absolutely ridiculous. I think I struggled so much on the caged troll because he is very grab heavy and 90% of the time I must be dodging barely too soon because he would always track me and grab me for 90% of my HP.

Deflecting is pretty easy. Working on my Mikiri counter timing now because the mobs I’m facing are extremely thrust attack based and it’s hitting for 75% HP.

I don’t really think the game is all that great in comparison to souls. I like the more visceral combat and the rhythmic style but overall I don’t like losing all equipment options and customization. The stances and stuff are cool but don’t make up for the loss of equipment etc.

It’s a good game, and I’m enjoying it at times but it’s difficulty feels slightly artificial by making a lot of the mobs 1 shotting or essentially 1 shotting.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe

Last edited by Nunz : Mar 30, 2019 at 07:36 PM.
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 2019, 07:31 PM   #80
ThirdEye
goodnight sweet prince

ThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Tried the game a little and holy fuzz balls it's great! Unlocked frame rate is
ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2019, 01:21 PM   #81
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Phantom Lady Butterfly was quite a challenge. Who else beat her yet?

Took me at least 15 tries and I ran out of snap seeds early on. You don't really need them to stop her illusions in the 2nd phase. When she spawns her little helper mob just run around the room until they disappear then you can fight her again until she respawns them. Watch out for the energy blast first before you engage her again though.

Last edited by Meteor_of_War : Mar 31, 2019 at 03:58 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 01:23 PM   #82
globalist
Radeon Evergreen

globalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyglobalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

So many spoilers in this thread..... I've only defeated the first general miniboss and the Shinobi Hunter. Not much time or desire to play these days....
TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt <---> KRK Rokit 5's
globalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2019, 03:59 PM   #83
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Yeah sorry, i put spoiler tags about the boss fight.

To me boss strategies aren't spoilers but for anyone who wants to find out on their own. At least while the game is still new.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 07:21 PM   #84
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Phantom Lady Butterfly was quite a challenge. Who else beat her yet?

Took me at least 15 tries and I ran out of snap seeds early on. You don't really need them to stop her illusions in the 2nd phase. When she spawns her little helper mob just run around the room until they disappear then you can fight her again until she respawns them. Watch out for the energy blast first before you engage her again though.
She's tough at first, yeah - I found out she's basically a tutorial boss compared to later. I'm on my 20th go or so for what I thought was the, or at least an end game boss, and the story is always the same - get it down to low health/high posture damage and make a bad move - dead again.

I'll get it eventually, but this is a whole new level/style for me.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 09:04 PM   #85
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
She's tough at first, yeah - I found out she's basically a tutorial boss compared to later. I'm on my 20th go or so for what I thought was the, or at least an end game boss, and the story is always the same - get it down to low health/high posture damage and make a bad move - dead again.

I'll get it eventually, but this is a whole new level/style for me.
Well, only natural for the bosses to get tougher. Wouldn't really want it any other way.

With Lady Butterfly by the final attempt when i beat her I didn't take not one hit of damage. She is very predictable once you learn her pattern, and once I figured out how to handle the second phase without snap seeds since i ran out, it was piece of cake.

Think I have a couple different paths to go right now. Further up the castle, and the other way seems a bit "spooky" so I'm thinking that's a side path.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 09:59 PM   #86
Brainstew
The Nameless One

Brainstew can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyBrainstew can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Lazy8s, I know who you're talking about. I found the key to that fight is pure aggression, in every phase of the fight. I also recommend you have 8 healing gourds for that fight. The upgraded fire crackers are really good too, I think I had long spark. Just be relentless though, constantly attacking or parrying, always in his face.

As far as spoilers go, I think even naming bosses is a spoiler. I'm very anti-spoiler though.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:55 PM   #87
KAC
All ur gays r belong 2 me

KAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsKAC glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

I literally watched a few streams of this game and came in to say that, how anyone finds this fun is beyond me. I play games to relax and unwind and watching the streams made me be angry and rage quit lol. Man if I had about 10 years to live, I wouldn’t be wasting my time on this crap.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2019, 03:24 AM   #88
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Well, only natural for the bosses to get tougher. Wouldn't really want it any other way.

With Lady Butterfly by the final attempt when i beat her I didn't take not one hit of damage. She is very predictable once you learn her pattern, and once I figured out how to handle the second phase without snap seeds since i ran out, it was piece of cake.

Think I have a couple different paths to go right now. Further up the castle, and the other way seems a bit "spooky" so I'm thinking that's a side path.
My comment was geared more towards the spike in difficulty between the two. I think I get that bosses get harder as the game progresses lol.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 03:31 AM   #89
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainstew View Post
Lazy8s, I know who you're talking about. I found the key to that fight is pure aggression, in every phase of the fight. I also recommend you have 8 healing gourds for that fight. The upgraded fire crackers are really good too, I think I had long spark. Just be relentless though, constantly attacking or parrying, always in his face.

As far as spoilers go, I think even naming bosses is a spoiler. I'm very anti-spoiler though.
Funny you commented on this - I got disgusted last night and basically threw caution out the window and had the best attempt yet. Went the whole final phase with next to no health and no items left, and then right after that, I stumbled across that one gourd seed that Fromsoft puts right in front of you out in the open. I can't believe I missed it all that time.

I know what my biggest problem with the combat is in this game too. It's that Nioh muscle memory. One of my favorite builds in Nioh is a Shenobi lol, using a katana. So I keep catching myself holding L1 to block instead of just tapping it to deflect.

This guy will burn that out of me if nothing else lol.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 07:09 AM   #90
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
My comment was geared more towards the spike in difficulty between the two. I think I get that bosses get harder as the game progresses lol.
Ohhh... so it's like the next boss you face? Thought you were saying its much further in the game.