Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Apr 4, 2019, 07:51 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind once held a door open for a complete strangerLordHawkwind once held a door open for a complete strangerLordHawkwind once held a door open for a complete stranger

ATI Technologies Worth upgrading CPU now?

I'm aware that Zen 2 is going to launch sometime this year but the prices of Zen+ chips are becoming very attractive. I can pick up a 2600X for £168, a 2700 for £215 and a 2700X for £268. I'm also looking at an Asrock B450 Fata1ty K4 (?) for just £75 which would make a vey cheap upgrade from my 7700K and Asus Z270.

I'm not bothered by the coolers as I've got a Bequite Dark Pro 4 which is way better than the stock ones. I only real game on my Windows 10 machine so I'm leaning towards the 2600X although my interest is piqued by the 2700 which has two more cores and by all accounts overclocks very well with good cooling which I think I've got.

I game at 1440p on a 144hz free sync monitor which means I'm GPU bound anyway so I don't think the speed of the CPU is going to matter very much TBH. My idea would be to then wait till Zen 3 launches and then buy a Zen 2 CPU for a reduced price like now. That should then last me for some time.

I don't really need the extra goodies that an X470 brings so I think a B450 will be fine and that Asrock Fata1ty looks quite good. If I do this I will give my son my current CPU & mobo which will be a nice bump up for him from my old dependable 2500K.

Obviously I could wait for Zen 2 but it will cost more and I'm not interested in upgrading my GPU ATM so probably wouldn't benefit from some of the new things on the X570 chipset like Pcie 4. As I said I can always do that when Zen 3 comes out and buy a Zen 2 then.

Any thoughts?
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2019, 08:28 AM   #2
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

At the res you play at I think a GPU upgrade would serve you better.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2019, 09:10 AM   #3
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

I would wait on the CPU and not cheap out on an AM4 mobo; the lower end boards usually have really unimpressive VRMs.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 4, 2019, 10:18 AM   #4
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind once held a door open for a complete strangerLordHawkwind once held a door open for a complete strangerLordHawkwind once held a door open for a complete stranger

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
At the res you play at I think a GPU upgrade would serve you better.
At today's inflated prices for a GPU i'm not interested TBH. My Vega 64 plays all the games I play at max settings so another 20fps or so when I'm already getting 80+ isn't really worth the cost. A new 6c/12t or 8c/16t CPU on the other hand could be useful as games begin to use more cores and for overall general smoothness. I also just bought some 3000hz ram so that should be good to go for Zen.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
Old Apr 4, 2019, 11:53 AM   #5
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled with

As long as Zen 2 doesn't disappoint, I plan on probably picking up a 12/24 3700x and X570 motherboard.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2019, 01:53 PM   #6
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
I would wait on the CPU and not cheap out on an AM4 mobo; the lower end boards usually have really unimpressive VRMs.
I have a aorus x470 gaming 7 wifi board. Vrms are nicely cooled.

Sittal on BF2142 "wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."

Logical "u dont have to lie to us that u got fired again we dont judge here that your 🌯 weren't up to snuff."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2019, 02:11 PM   #7
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

considering how close to release it is I would at least wait for details on the new chipsets (x570, B550) to see what they offer.

As well there's little point in spending $200+ on a cpu now just to replace it in a couple of months with a newer 3000 series

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2019, 02:40 PM   #8
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Yeah, I'd definitely wait. Your 7700K should still be performing decently, so this is not the time to rush into a purchase. Put it on the back burner for 2-3 months and there will be better options available.

Also the 2600X or 2700 wouldn't necessarily be a tangible upgrade from what you currently have. They have more cores, but lower clockspeed/IPC, so in things like games it probably comes out more or less the same (that is if you're not GPU limited, in which case it's literally the same).
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2019, 03:54 PM   #9
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Yeah, I'd definitely wait. Your 7700K should still be performing decently, so this is not the time to rush into a purchase. Put it on the back burner for 2-3 months and there will be better options available.

Also the 2600X or 2700 wouldn't necessarily be a tangible upgrade from what you currently have. They have more cores, but lower clockspeed/IPC, so in things like games it probably comes out more or less the same (that is if you're not GPU limited, in which case it's literally the same).
I know it's not necessarily an upgrade but it gets me away from Intel and gives me more cores and threads. Plus, as I've said, I can still upgrade to Zen 2 in 18 months or so for a lower price. TBH my 7700K easily does 5ghz but I wouldn't use that 24/7 I use 4.7 which removes any bottleneck but it's still 4 core.

Plus my son gets a big upgrade from my old 2500K to 7700K with 16gb 2400 ram so he'll be happy considering he's 20 in a couple of weeks. Birthday present
Old Apr 4, 2019, 04:29 PM   #10
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled withNascar24 is not someone to be trifled with

I say wait, its not a very long wait, when upgrading I expect reasonable speed increases, you wont see much with your purchase, just seems like a waste, use that money your spending on this side grade and buy a Zen 2 at launch.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 05:37 PM   #11
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Evileh once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

If you get a 2700x and play at almost 4k resolutions and you are using a flag ship tier video card 2080 or 2080 ti then the difference in your fps will be exactly the same as any intel current gen chip (besides like the ridiculously expensive upper tier i9's). Now that you are saying you have a 1st edition skylake, you should see either a) better fps b) more constant fps c) way better multi tasking (this is the biggest reason I went amd in the first place as well as the gurentee with x470 to have another few generations that can be shoved into it)

Sittal on BF2142 "wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."

Logical "u dont have to lie to us that u got fired again we dont judge here that your 🌯 weren't up to snuff."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2019, 06:01 PM   #12
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
MSI MEG X570 Creation motherboard with Zen 2 CPU spotted

Quote:
Ryzen 7 3700X - 12/24 - 4.2/5.0GHz - 105w - $329

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/65427...ted/index.html

Quote:
Gigabyte’s X570 motherboards for upcoming Zen 2 Ryzen 3000-series desktop processors leaked
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Gigaby....415592.0.html

wait
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2019, 02:03 PM   #13
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

Where did those prices come from An 8/16 CPU at 4.0/4.8 for $229 FFS absolutely no chance. A 12/24 for just $329 AMD would be mad to sell at these prices TBH. I think people might be in for a big shock with the real prices when Zen 2 launches.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 05:13 PM   #14
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Prices are in line with the Zen+ release.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 10:33 AM   #15
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Prices are in line with the Zen+ release.
But Zen 2 will be on 7nm so prices won't be comparable as I presume yields will be lower and hence higher prices. Maybe in 12/18 months time when yields improve prices might start to drop and that's when I'll look to buy a Zen 2 CPU.

I can now get the 2700 for £200 and an X470 mobo for £125 which seems a real bargain as I can pair it with my 3000hz ram and Dark power 4 cooler so should be able to get a good overclock. I'm not looking for the fastest machine but just something that's not Intel and is a good upgrade to my present rig.

It's effectively free as I'd give the money to my son for his birthday and PC upgrade anyway so this way we both win. Not being mean but hey ho it's a win-win situation.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 04:07 PM   #16
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

You are thinking Nvidia business practices of ripping people off, usually pricing stays at least close to what it was the previous gen, we will know soon enough, I would still wait and put that money your going to spend towards Zen 2 now! If it isn't as the prices are showing, I'm sure Zen+ will be even cheaper in 3 months.
Old Apr 7, 2019, 04:44 PM   #17
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
But Zen 2 will be on 7nm so prices won't be comparable as I presume yields will be lower and hence higher prices. Maybe in 12/18 months time when yields improve prices might start to drop and that's when I'll look to buy a Zen 2 CPU.

I can now get the 2700 for £200 and an X470 mobo for £125 which seems a real bargain as I can pair it with my 3000hz ram and Dark power 4 cooler so should be able to get a good overclock. I'm not looking for the fastest machine but just something that's not Intel and is a good upgrade to my present rig.

It's effectively free as I'd give the money to my son for his birthday and PC upgrade anyway so this way we both win. Not being mean but hey ho it's a win-win situation.
nope

chiplets will be much smaller so higher yields most likely even with a new process

Quote:
Separating CPU chiplets from the I/O die has its advantages because it enables AMD to make the CPU chiplets smaller as physical interfaces (such as DRAM and Infinity Fabric) do not scale that well with shrinks of process technology. Therefore, instead of making CPU chiplets bigger and more expensive to manufacture, AMD decided to incorporate DRAM and some other I/O into a separate chip. Besides lower costs, the added benefit that AMD is going to enjoy with its 7 nm chiplets is ability to easier bin new chips for needed clocks and power, which is something that is hard to estimate in case of servers
https://www.anandtech.com/show/13560...s-14-nm-io-die

and most likely Ryzen, Threadripper and Epyc all use the same chiplets

so what won't work in one may in another

………….

Quote:
AMD 7nm Zen 2 Based 3rd Generation Ryzen Threadripper ‘Castle Peak’ and EPYC Rome CPU Preliminary Information Added To AIDA64
Quote:
Considering that AMD would want to remain in dominant position with Threadripper 3000 series, we will be looking at some spectacular amounts of multi-threaded performance numbers which would only get better with the added clock speeds thanks to the 7nm process node. The CPUs will also be getting a major core bumps but AMD would like to keep prices close to current levels.

If we look at the trend with AMD’s jump from Ryzen Threadripper 1000 to Ryzen Threadripper 2000, we saw that the new processors with core parity of the previous generation were priced around the same with a $200-$300 shaved off from their previous price tag. The 1950X became 2950X and cost $200 US less. The higher core count parts were at a different market tier entirely, costing north of $1200 US but at the same time, much cheaper than their Core-X competitors.

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threa...upport-aida64/

Last edited by bill dennison : Apr 7, 2019 at 04:51 PM.
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2019, 03:42 AM   #18
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Do not upgrade CPU now. Wait for Zen2. 2700x is slower than (or about the same as) 7700k in most games.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 03:13 AM   #19
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

Yeah, I'm waiting too. I have a feeling that it'll be worth it though.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2019, 03:44 AM   #20
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I know I am waiting. 3rd Gen Threadripper is looking very promising.