Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:30 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SpongeBebop
Freedom Fighter Morgan

SpongeBebop is still being judged by the masses

Joystick Discussion of Man

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...ge_N.htm?csp=1

I felt I needed to have a talk with all the menes of rage3d. Especially with the number of indirect hints I have been receiving from the internets. The internets have told me this is a subject that needs to be tackled. As you can see from the link above, this is only part of it. I won't be injecting my own bias into this thread as much as I would like to.

Instead I will leave the subject open for discussion. Taking the first link into context, look at the second link below. Isn't it strange how the subject seems to be on the tip of everyone's tongues?

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/03/21

"...mediocrity is what's rampant. Excellence is rare." -Don Cheadle

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
My spouse is in child support enforcement so I'll always be happily married. :)
SpongeBebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:39 AM   #2
JDwoods[TeamATi]
Something witty goes here

JDwoods[TeamATi] is still being judged by the masses

My thought to link #1: Get some balls. The guy at the end of the article merged names. That makes sense. However, taking your wives name makes you a whipped sissy. IMO.

Link #2: Seemed only slightly related. I think there's something to be said for being afraid to enjoy your masculinity. Some guys have been so "converted" they don't know how to do it anymore. 300 was very Alpha male. If your blood wasn't pumping by watching that movie, you might consider turning in your card.
JDwoods[TeamATi] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:41 AM   #3
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

men have become little bitches these days.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:43 AM   #4
vazel
Banned

vazel is still being judged by the masses

If I ever marry a pretty white woman I'll let her keep her last name so she won't have to carry my last name(Ramirez).
vazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:44 AM   #5
ViCyniC
Radeon Arctic Islands

ViCyniC is still being judged by the masses

It's all good to me, as long as we guys can still win a fist fight against our wives. With the women getting more power, we're bound to fight physically following confrontations. That's what's most important, that we still have our physical strength.

Though you will probably take it up the ass more often in bed from your wife and her strap-on.
ViCyniC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 12:02 PM   #6
bete
Huh?

bete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestbete considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViCyniC View Post

Though you will probably take it up the ass more often in bed from your wife and her strap-on.
Ahh jeez, I thought we were gonna leave the boys pecker fixation alone.

Sorry bubba...it's a hard world for you nancy types.

There is no gray area. There is right and wrong and I will decide which side your on.
bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 01:23 PM   #7
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazel View Post
If I ever marry a pretty white woman I'll let her keep her last name so she won't have to carry my last name(Ramirez).
Nothing wrong with your last name.

Even if it was "make-fun-able", it's still your name, you're the man, be who you are. Fall in, Soldier!!
jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 01:29 PM   #8
Djinn
Rage3D Fixture

Djinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete stranger

Eh, it's unusual certainly. But if the wife has a lot vested in her name (such as running a medical practice, or an acting career), then I can understand perfectly why she wouldn't want to change her name. And since spouses with differing names always seem to raise eyebrows and cause confusion, why shouldn't the husband change his name? Obviously, if the husband has a stupid name, the decision is even easier. Hell, I have a cousin whose last name is "Dorfman." If he ever manages to find someone willing to marry him, it would be a smart move, career-wise, to adopt her last name.

- Robert Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
Djinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 01:29 PM   #9
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I do not at all in any way agree with this stuff. Women become a part of their Man when they marry. They become Mrs. Him, whatever his name is.

I am convinced that women of today are confused. They don't have any idea who they are or what they are supposed to be. I partly blame the feminists, but I mostly blame the men of previous generations who LET the feminists do the damage they've done.

How we behave is rooted in and is the fruit of what we fundamentally believe. Therefore, if you have no moral foundation or compass, you will believe whatever is most convenient for yourself. If that means going along with the feminists, then that's what you'll do. But if you believe in someone and something greater than yourself, then you'll live accordingly.

My foundation is the Judeo-Christian bible. My bible tells me that woman was made for man, not the other way around; that she is flesh of his flesh, bone of his bone, and the two of them together are one flesh. There's more to this, but in short, she becomes his Mrs., and therefore takes his name. Hyphenated last names and such are just another weak compromise, one which I will have no part of.

EDIT: shouldn't this be in P&R...?
Old Mar 22, 2007, 01:31 PM   #10
Djinn
Rage3D Fixture

Djinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyboy View Post
... My foundation is the Judeo-Christian bible. My bible tells me that woman was made for man, not the other way around; that she is flesh of his flesh, bone of his bone,...
Yeah, well the bible says a lot of things.

Old Mar 22, 2007, 01:32 PM   #11
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
Yeah, well the bible says a lot of things.
It sure does.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 01:34 PM   #12
Drunken Janitor
Blistering Barnacles!

Drunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

If I get married, I wouldn't mind if my wife didn't take my hard-to pronounce and harder-to-spell last name.

On a side note, I love that penny-arcade. I had just read it 30 seconds before this thread.
i5 4670 Haswell <> Gigabyte radeon 280x <> 8 gigs of some ram that happened to be on sale that week <> Asus Z87-K <> Some DVD burner that has been used for 3-4 computers - might be a pioneer <> Winblows 10 Now!
Drunken Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 01:48 PM   #13
theundead

theundead is still being judged by the masses

What value does a name have besides sentimental value. How important are you if the changing of your name makes you feel less of a man.
theundead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 03:42 PM   #14
Pinedon
1k posts and going strong

Pinedon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
My foundation is the Judeo-Christian bible. My bible tells me that woman was made for man, not the other way around; that she is flesh of his flesh, bone of his bone, and the two of them together are one flesh. There's more to this, but in short, she becomes his Mrs., and therefore takes his name. Hyphenated last names and such are just another weak compromise, one which I will have no part of.

EDIT: shouldn't this be in P&R...?
And what if you were a woman, and this little bible credo would cease to so conveniently work out in your favor? Would you still be so submissive to its declaration? Yes, perhaps most would not care so deeply about whichever last name was thrust upon them... it's about the people in marriage, not their names, correct? But, to be automatically labeled as a mere extension of your husband, of all man, a tool of existence... would it not build some negative tension within yourself?
Old Mar 22, 2007, 03:42 PM   #15
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

My wife takes my last name.

If you have one that's dorky or hard to pronounce. Tough sh it.

Man be a man, woman be a woman. The genders are so damn confused these days. That's why gayness is "cool". pfft, Please.

That's why men are acting like wussies (wtf - metrosexual) and women are dressing in jeans & tshirts or just "slut wear" and walk like men, instead of carrying themselves like ladies.

Who's last name is his child going to take. Bullshi t. Men are going to end up with nothing. Ladies got enough and get more as it is. WTF do we have? Least let a man keep his name and brand his family in maness.

The fall of civilization (in US terms) is upon us.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 03:48 PM   #16
Djinn
Rage3D Fixture

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhjr77 View Post
... Least let a man keep his name and brand his family in maness.
Don't worry; your penis is safe. No one is suggesting that anyone - male or female - be forced to cede his or her name due to marriage. Those that change their names as a result of marriage do so by choice. The issue isn't whether or not men must take the woman's name when they marry; it's whether they should be allowed to take the woman's name when they marry.

It's about giving additional rights to men, not women.

Old Mar 22, 2007, 03:50 PM   #17
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
Don't worry; your penis is safe. No one is suggesting that anyone - male or female - be forced to cede his or her name due to marriage. Those that change their names as a result of marriage do so by choice. The issue isn't whether or not men must take the woman's name when they marry; it's whether they should be allowed to take the woman's name when they marry.

It's about giving additional rights to men, not women.
Men should not have this right. Period. It takes away your manness. Seriously, I can't believe a man would feel right taking his woman's name. Crazy.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 03:53 PM   #18
Pinedon

Quote:

I am convinced that women of today are confused. They don't have any idea who they are or what they are supposed to be. I partly blame the feminists, but I mostly blame the men of previous generations who LET the feminists do the damage they've done.

How we behave is rooted in and is the fruit of what we fundamentally believe. Therefore, if you have no moral foundation or compass, you will believe whatever is most convenient for yourself. If that means going along with the feminists, then that's what you'll do. But if you believe in someone and something greater than yourself, then you'll live accordingly.

What you see as confusion, others may see as an effort to re-establish identity. Perhaps women do not know who they are (which is such a highly pretentious statement to begin with... how can anyone appraise the identity of a whole gender's worth of people... I mean, what red-blooded American freedom fighter would support this nearly communist notion?) because they are finally rejecting what identities have been so blindly thrust upon them through the ages. Perhaps they are finally actually identifying themselves, via their own individual efforts, rather than letting "something greater than themselves" outline their lives for them?

And just a side note... why is it such an alien idea to establish your own beliefs, based on your own life, and root them yourself, rather than turning your nose up at any belief which does not abide by the ones you were influenced to follow since birth? Just because something is foreign, does not mean it is unnatural, or without divinity. What man grows from never branching out into uncharted experiences?
Old Mar 22, 2007, 03:57 PM   #19
Pinedon

Quote:
The fall of civilization (in US terms) is upon us.
The fall of one culture, the rise of another. Both lasting only temporarily... welcome to the history of all anthropology. If humanity did not develop in this fashion, we would still have scattered tribes in Europa worshiping whatever they happened to be fascinated, and seemingly protected by.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 04:16 PM   #20
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by vazel View Post
if you married a pretty white tranny would you take his last name?
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 05:00 PM   #21
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Society's definition of man is changing, probably not for the better or for the worse but we can always hope for the better.

If it makes you happy, do it, just because something is traditional doesn't mean it has to be done and definitely doesn't mean it's right.

Doing something 'unmanly' doesn't make you less of a man, it makes you a different man. Make your own definition, don't just live like people tell you.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 05:27 PM   #22
Djinn
Rage3D Fixture

Quote:
Men should not have this right. Period. It takes away your manness. Seriously, I can't believe a man would feel right taking his woman's name. Crazy.
Men should not have this right? Women should be able to easily change their name, but you'd deny this same right to men? Why should they enjoy legal freedoms that are denied to us? Do you consider them superior to men? What are you, some sort of ultra-liberal feminist?

Old Mar 22, 2007, 05:55 PM   #23
Ambitious Loser
Banned

Ambitious Loser is still being judged by the masses

I had not thought women had undone so many....
Ambitious Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 06:26 PM   #24
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

More men taken wive's last names? Jesus.
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:13 PM   #25
Pinedon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJMasta View Post
Society's definition of man is changing, probably not for the better or for the worse but we can always hope for the better.

If it makes you happy, do it, just because something is traditional doesn't mean it has to be done and definitely doesn't mean it's right.

Doing something 'unmanly' doesn't make you less of a man, it makes you a different man. Make your own definition, don't just live like people tell you.
This pretty much sums up all the points I made, except much more concisely.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:19 PM   #26
bounty_hunter
Radeon Arctic Islands

bounty_hunter is still being judged by the masses

eh I think i'd change it if she had a really cool last name

like killington

or outbreak (my name is christian )
Old Mar 22, 2007, 11:50 PM   #27
squid
Cute

squid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird sings

no way is some woman taking away my last name! i wouldn't mind if she kept her own last name, but i'm definitely not getting rid of mine. that's just the way i feel, and she has no right to force her name upon me, nor do i have any right to force my name upon her.
squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:23 AM   #28
ThirdEye
goodnight sweet prince

ThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
My wife takes my last name.
Says the guy with "Don't forget your roots" as his custom title.

Quote:
If you have one that's dorky or hard to pronounce. Tough sh it.
That's right, the woman is obligated to take her husband's last name.

Quote:
Man be a man, woman be a woman. The genders are so damn confused these days. That's why gayness is "cool". pfft, Please.
Gayness, as you call it, is not a fad or a passing phase. A gay person is born gay. It's natural.

Quote:
That's why men are acting like wussies (wtf - metrosexual) and women are dressing in jeans & tshirts or just "slut wear" and walk like men, instead of carrying themselves like ladies.
Who the **** are you to say what it is to act like a lady or not? You've been watching too much television.

Last edited by ThirdEye : Mar 23, 2007 at 12:28 AM.
ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 12:30 AM   #29
DorXtar
SMILE!

DorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDorXtar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I have little to no interest in seeing 300. Here's my penis.

I considered changing my last name to the last name of any future wife I may have for the simple fact that I was mad at my father for being a cheater. Here is my man card.

And you're all noobs. Male noobs. With male boobs.
2 Peter 3:3) For YOU know this first, that in the last days there will come ridiculers with their ridicule, proceeding according to their own desires 4) and saying: “Where is this promised presence of his? Why, from the day our forefathers fell asleep [in death], all things are continuing exactly as from creation’s beginning.” 5) For, according to their wish, this fact escapes their notice [...]

8) However, let this one fact not be escaping YOUR notice, beloved ones, that one day is with Jehovah as a thousand years and a thousand years as one day. 9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with YOU because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
Like 12Bass says, critical thinking and the scientific method are probably the best tools we have to avoid it. (bias)

However, this method relies on repeatable, falsifiable hypotheses and theories. Only an extremely small spectrum of time and space can be rendered into these, or at least a good approximation of such.

-RFtinkerer

“The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.” ― Daniel J. Boorstin
DorXtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2007, 01:05 AM   #30
riho
Breaking a take

riho can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyriho can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorXtar View Post
I have little to no interest in seeing 300. Here's my penis.

I considered changing my last name to the last name of any future wife I may have for the simple fact that I was mad at my father for being a cheater. Here is my man card.

And you're all noobs. Male noobs. With male boobs.
Thx for your penis Dorx. You have no use for it anyway. You pee sitting down. you don't beat your meat. Hell you should be convicted of penis abuse
riho is offline   Reply With Quote