Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Aug 6, 2020, 05:32 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber
Default New Monitor

My turn for a new monitor thread.

Moved my office in my house to a room more suited for that purpose, especially since I'm now working from home until likely next year some time. I was using a 49" Sony X900F, and it was fantastic...but I'm sitting at my desk like a normal person now and that's overkill.

This won't be the primary PC gaming rig since I still have the Sony in the other room, which is now strictly a movie/gaming space (gaming PC in my sig is in that room). The office will be productivity, but also some gaming here and there if the mood strikes me or a particular games is better at a desk. I've already built a 2nd PC with my other hardware, and one of my 1080Ti's will be going in it whenever I get my hands on a new 3080Ti. I kind of want want to dabble in something different, like higher refresh rates. If I do go 4k, it should probably have GSYNC.

Considering a variety of options, and I'll be sitting ~30" from the display(s). Budget is ~$1000, but I'd be willing to splurge on a VERY good display if it hits every criteria and is perfect.

1. 27" 2560x1440
2. 32" 4k
3. No curved displays

I've been looking for a week now at different options and countless reviews/videos. Curious what you guys think are good monitors in these options, and why.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard

Last edited by OverclockN' : Aug 8, 2020 at 08:41 PM.
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2020, 06:55 PM   #2
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

As someone who now regularly works on their gaming setup more than I game as I work from home now. Loving having an ultra-wide vs the triple(technically 4 if I include the laptop's screen and 5 if I also include my trouble shooting screen) setup I have at my office desk.

Not as much workspace, but I don't really miss it. The 21:9 is like having 2 x 5:4 monitors in a single screen. Snapping windows around is WAY more functional in this aspect ratio as such I just don't find the need to have 3 screens.

SOooo imho..

1. 60hz...., no... Although potentially affordably awesome.
2. Nicer resolution to work at for the size.
3. If your considering dual screens, look at 21:9 or 32:9 instead(although 32:9 is la pricey unless you find a sale)
4. , but will feel giant given the distance.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2020, 07:46 PM   #3
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

LG 34GN850 has just been released which is a refresh of my current display (34GK950F). 160hz, 21:9, IPS, 3440x1440, 1ms, Freesync+Gsync support.

Or if budget allows, look at the 38" versions with 3840x1600 resolution. Two models, the 38GL950G (Gsync module) and 38WN95C-W (Freesync+Gsync). I'd probably choose the latter due to price.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 6, 2020, 07:51 PM   #4
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

I've looked at ultrawide quite a bit the past week. I even went as far as cutting out cardboard representations of the exact screen size of the 34" and 38" models and taped them on the wall in front my desk. I just don't care for the width vs height. They're not tall enough, I think it would be annoying to play games on them, odd resolution for video content, and I can't stand curved screens.

Maybe I need to see one in person, but that's currently impossible.

EDIT: Added budget to first post.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Aug 6, 2020, 07:55 PM   #5
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I think you need to see them in person. Initially height was an issue for folk that still want to work on these monitors but the resolutions have improved such that should not be an issue anymore.
dodger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2020, 08:01 PM   #6
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I absolutely love 21:9, perfect for gaming and can't go back. I also didn't like curved at first, but it makes sense on these displays. I would never use curved on 16:9 displays or TV, but it looks right on 21:9 monitor. I had the same reservations as you, but I'm 100% converted to 21:9 curved now.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 09:28 PM   #7
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Unless you are buying a CX OLED, wait for this.

https://videocardz.com/press-release...gaming-monitor

It'd be kinda silly to not buy something without HDMI 2.1 right now.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2020, 09:39 PM   #8
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
Unless you are buying a CX OLED, wait for this.

https://videocardz.com/press-release...gaming-monitor

It'd be kinda silly to not buy something without HDMI 2.1 right now.
If I go that route, I'd probably entertain the idea if it had any chance of being in my price range. The current ones can still do 4k 120Hz, just not maximizing all the settings (4:4:4, 10bit, HDR). Not that anyone has a chance in hell in running 120fps in 4k any time soon anyway. It'll be years before you could, and that TV will be outdated anyway. So it seems entirely pointless, IMO.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Aug 6, 2020, 09:49 PM   #9
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

LG CX 48 should be right up your alley and budget.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2020, 09:52 PM   #10
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
LG CX 48 should be right up your alley and budget.
Except it's not right up my alley, as mentioned in my original post.

Quote:
I was using a 49" Sony X900F, and it was fantastic...but I'm sitting at my desk like a normal person now and that's overkill.
And also, OLED is completely out of the question for my application. It's an automatic no.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Aug 6, 2020, 10:00 PM   #11
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

What is wrong with OLED? You have a 43 inch in there and 48 vs 43 is not that big of a difference.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 10:00 PM   #12
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
If I go that route, I'd probably entertain the idea if it had any chance of being in my price range. The current ones can still do 4k 120Hz, just not maximizing all the settings (4:4:4, 10bit, HDR). Not that anyone has a chance in hell in running 120fps in 4k any time soon anyway. It'll be years before you could, and that TV will be outdated anyway. So it seems entirely pointless, IMO.
Then wait until fall/winter until a bunch more 2.1 HDMI devices come out to support consoles. There's really not much out there right now for what you are seeking that is a worthwhile purchase.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Aug 6, 2020, 11:12 PM   #13
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
Then wait until fall/winter until a bunch more 2.1 HDMI devices come out to support consoles. There's really not much out there right now for what you are seeking that is a worthwhile purchase.
I don't think we're on the same page here. Console systems are completely irrelevant to this thread. I have a setup in a different room for console games and movies.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Aug 6, 2020, 11:35 PM   #14
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Quote:
I don't think we're on the same page here. Console systems are completely irrelevant to this thread. I have a setup in a different room for console games and movies.
I understand, but consoles will utilize HDMI 2.1, thus making people finally bring it to usable products for you and me for PC. I'm not saying use it for console, I'm saying because consoles are coming out, and they use HDMI 2.1, manufactures will put it into products we will want to use.
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Aug 12, 2020, 08:42 PM   #15
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Btw from a watching video content perspective, it's worth noting that while most YouTube content might look a little odd because most content is 16x9. The 21:9 aspect ratio is purposefully nestle in between the cinema aspect ratios of 2.35:1 and 2.39:1. So content shot in CinemaScope tends to look pretty dope.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21:9_aspect_ratio
21:9 monitors are closer to 2 35-2.4:1 in reality.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 09:04 PM   #16
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
How does 21:9 work with older games and movies/shows? I'd imagine I'd have borders on the sides on a lot of stuff.
Nevermind older games and videos... It's all over the place, you have to accept black bars are potentially everywhere.

For movies, Nolan movies are the most annoying because he used IMAX camera only on select scenes of the movies, the result? Most of the movies are going to have Quad black bars when viewed in ultrawide display.

Same thing with games, for AAA games, many still only give you 16:9 cutscenes, some of the worse one would add letterbox black bars on the cutscenes, making them just exactly like Nolan movies

Some games flat out do not support 21:9 at all, some can be hacked some don't.

Game UI are other potential problems, not just placementsome can straight up bugged when displayed in ultrawide.

Etc.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 09:09 PM   #17
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post
Nevermind older games and videos... It's all over the place, you have to accept black bars are potentially everywhere.

For movies, Nolan movies are the most annoying because he used IMAX camera only on select scenes of the movies, the result? Most of the movies are going to have Quad black bars when viewed in ultrawide display.

Same thing with games, for AAA games, many still only give you 16:9 cutscenes, some of the worse one would add letterbox black bars on the cutscenes, making them just exactly like Nolan movies

Some games flat out do not support 21:9 at all, some can be hacked some don't.

Game UI are other potential problems, not just placementsome can straight up bugged when displayed in ultrawide.

Etc.
Yeah, all of that sounds incredibly annoying.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:24 PM   #18
KAC
It might be gays!

What Napoleonic said. I hated the cutscene nonsense and HUD issues. I think Overwatch had just come out and it was terrible. I had to use some hack for Witcher 3 and whatever shooter I was playing. Youtube was garbage to watch. Most movies had black bars even with UW creating the viewing experience garbage. Now I remember why I opted for OLED instead of this garbage. In my country price of LG or Samsung was higher than the OLED. Plus apparently the G9 was even 400 bucks more expensive and has the issue of flickering at the center even in Linus review.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:36 PM   #19
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

It took 3 pages to get these kinds of answers to my questions.

Except KAC, you did mention it the first time.

I'd really like a 4k screen in 32", but man...it's REALLY hard to find anything that's gsync or gsync compatible, and decent. Just a huge gap right now in anything 32-43". Which is why I was looking at the ultrawide stuff. I think the display/size will work, just not sure if I could live with the format issues.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:40 PM   #20
demo
space cadet

Witcher 3 supports 21:9 natively out of the box. I think you're just a n00b man.

I honestly don't have issues with games as you describe - but about 5 years ago on my Dell 21:9 I did run into a few.

The aspect ratio is just too good for gaming imo, I probably won't upgrade until 4k UW, although those 38" 1600p UW's are pretty tempting.
Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:51 PM   #21
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Witcher 3 supports 21:9 natively out of the box. I think you're just a n00b man.

I honestly don't have issues with games as you describe - but about 5 years ago on my Dell 21:9 I did run into a few.

The aspect ratio is just too good for gaming imo, I probably won't upgrade until 4k UW, although those 38" 1600p UW's are pretty tempting.
2015, it supported out of the box? Game was supported to fix UW. When I had UW, the HUD placement was off and cutscenes would run 16:9.

I am not going to spend time searching for when it was fixed but it wasn't definitely native on release. It took them about 6 months at the very least to fix it. It is also the reason why I played and finished the game on PS4 even though I had it on PC.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 12:18 AM   #22
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Mang, can you talk a bit more about your experiences with UW in recent games like:

Horizon Zero Dawn
Death Stranding
Red Dead Redemption 2
Call of Duty MW
Divinity Original Sin 2
Total War Troy
Ori and the Blind Forest
Little Nightmares
Ghost Recon Breakpoint

Or any other new game that you played and enjoyed. Would be helpful for me.
Can't you just Google it?

Or follow this steam curator

https://store.steampowered.com/curat...terrace-Group/
Old Aug 14, 2020, 12:37 AM   #23
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
Can't you just Google it?

Or follow this steam curator

https://store.steampowered.com/curat...terrace-Group/
If I wanted to google it, I won't join a forum for discussion.
Old Aug 14, 2020, 07:40 PM   #24
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Lg 34gn850 and lg 27gn850 would fit such an idea
Old Aug 14, 2020, 09:31 PM   #25
demo
space cadet

I had the same set up about 7 years ago but with 24" 16:9 (1080p) + 29" 21:9 (2560x1080p) and it was great TBH.

Quote:
Lg 34gn850 and lg 27gn850 would fit such an idea
Old Aug 14, 2020, 11:51 PM   #26
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
I had the same set up about 7 years ago but with 24" 16:9 (1080p) + 29" 21:9 (2560x1080p) and it was great TBH.

I see you're using a bit wider 34" display now, but what made you decide to not supplement with another display again? Felt you had enough space with the single this time?

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Aug 15, 2020, 12:36 AM   #27
demo
space cadet

Yeh it seems big enough and have a 4k 55" next to my desk now, maybe 2 feet to the right of monitor.
Old Aug 15, 2020, 11:22 AM   #28
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Cut out a cardboard representation of the 27" 16:9 and put it up on my desk with the 34" 1440, and man...that is a LOT of screen. Maybe too much.

Need to get moving on this though. Thinking maybe I'll just order up the 34" 1440 and slap it up here and see what I think. Can always add the 27" at any time.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Sep 5, 2020, 05:22 PM   #29
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Gsync will make it so even if you don't reach 144hz ( or whatever Hz the montir is) it will still have really low input latencty + no screen tear anyway.
Oh yes, i understand the advantages of Gsync and high refresh features. What I'm saying is I'm still perfectly happy with old school 60Hz and vsync. I don't see any reason pushing me to want to upgrade to those features.

My brother has a 21:9 120Hz with Gsync and it is nice. But i just don't feel the need to buy a new monitor right now. Maybe if i was into competitive first person shooters, but i generally play slower single player stuff. I just like 1440p for resolution. 1080 wasn't cutting it for me anymore, too blurry at 27" and bigger.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2020, 09:21 AM   #30
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

IPS glow, or backlight bleed is nothing to fuss over if you ask me. You only ever can see it on a solid black screen and how often is that?

I think its only really an issue if you watch movies on it but most people i don't think watch movies on their PC.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote