Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Jul 27, 2021, 09:09 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Austin was where everyone wanted to move to from South Central TX back in the early 80s. I’m afraid I wouldn’t even recognize it (or other parts of TX) today.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2021, 10:23 AM   #32
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by koralis View Post
I used to live in Austin 24 years ago (wow) and everything was well maintained back then. Guess things aren't what they used to be.
The older parts of the city aren't doing too well, the roads there are pretty terrible. We live in a newer part of town, roads aren't as bad, but any time I drive around the rest of Austin it sucks. I35 also can't handle the amount of people who live here, neither can Mopac or 290.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2021, 04:48 PM   #33
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Subscriber

If you're going to base your decision to move to Cleveland on the conditions of the roads - stay away. That being said, I dont see the roads in Cleveland being any worse than any other city in the States. Lived here since I was 10, would never move away, mainly because family and friends are here. I love Cleveland, amazing restaurants, good night life (tons of concerts at Blossom and other venues). Cleveland is not the city it was in the 80's and 90's and people giving advice on moving here when the last time they visited was 20+ years ago should not speak at all. Same can be said for most cities. The metroparks are a hidden treasure in Cleveland covering 23,000 acres. 300 miles of bike paths, walking trails, bridal trails to explore.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 27, 2021, 05:41 PM   #34
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

We've more or less opened up our search to the areas around Cleveland as well, still prefer to be a bit more rural/small town, but definitely have a wider swath of the state to consider now.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 06:21 PM   #35
koralis
Radeon 5850

koralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird singskoralis knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Cleveland is not the city it was in the 80's and 90's and people giving advice on moving here when the last time they visited was 20+ years ago should not speak at all. Same can be said for most cities. The metroparks are a hidden treasure in Cleveland covering 23,000 acres. 300 miles of bike paths, walking trails, bridal trails to explore.
I did a short term business trip 6 years ago. I'm sure there are hidden gems to behold, but it was the worst city impression I've ever had and I've been to a fair number of cities. Not for long, but as a first impression it'd be at the bottom of my list of places to move.

Quote:
If you're going to base your decision to move to Cleveland on the conditions of the roads - stay away.
It screamed a city that had given up if they can't even keep the roads around the AIRPORT in good repair. Either they don't care, or don't have the money to do it. Neither one is good.

If you feel differently as a resident, then I'm sure that matters more then my quick impression. You might want to have a talk with your city council/mayors/whatevers though.

Kcrucible - Playing with Fire
koralis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2021, 06:25 PM   #36
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by koralis View Post
I did a short term business trip 6 years ago. I'm sure there are hidden gems to behold, but it was the worst city impression I've ever had and I've been to a fair number of cities. Not for long, but as a first impression it'd be at the bottom of my list of places to move.

It screamed a city that had given up if they can't even keep the roads around the AIRPORT in good repair. Either they don't care, or don't have the money to do it. Neither one is good.

If you feel differently as a resident, then I'm sure that matters more then my quick impression. You might want to have a talk with your city council/mayors/whatevers though.
Whole country's infrastructure is falling apart...
Old Jul 27, 2021, 06:46 PM   #37
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Whole country's infrastructure is falling apart...
We spend billions, and it seems to go nowhere. I keep seeing articles talking about how China can build highways so fast. Well they fail to realize they don't give a damn about the environment. Here, if you want to build a new highway, you get to deal with millions of dollars spent on lawsuits and studies done about potentially killing a few frogs and birds. Apples to Oranges...

If it were me, and you're dead set on that cold ass area, I would go to the Des Moines area. Plenty of land, and jobs. Equally as cold. Way less crime.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2021, 10:11 PM   #38
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
We spend billions, and it seems to go nowhere. I keep seeing articles talking about how China can build highways so fast. Well they fail to realize they don't give a damn about the environment. Here, if you want to build a new highway, you get to deal with millions of dollars spent on lawsuits and studies done about potentially killing a few frogs and birds. Apples to Oranges...

If it were me, and you're dead set on that cold ass area, I would go to the Des Moines area. Plenty of land, and jobs. Equally as cold. Way less crime.
No.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 10:44 PM   #39
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Good lord the snow?

Never going back to that ever again. Good luck to you sir. Get yourself a nice coat.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
Sapphire Nitro+ 6800 XT
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2021, 08:28 AM   #40
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

We generally know how to deal with winter weather here.
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI 3080 VENTUS 3X OC 10G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | WD Black SN750 1TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox One S
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2021, 05:51 PM   #41
Elysian
SCAATSJW

We got the insurance check for our roof repair back from our lender today, and my wife got an offer for a remote job that pays pretty well. Been a great day!
Old Aug 19, 2021, 08:53 PM   #42
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Roof repair is scheduled for Sept 7th through 9th, with the solar panels going back on about a week after that. We've started the pre-approval process for another mortgage, we decided we will put a massive amount down and do a 15 year mortgage for the rest, so we can take care of higher interest rate debt with the remainder, as well as put some away in savings for the tax man.

My work STILL hasn't listed the job listing I sent them, we've already lost a month... My job is at least 6 months of on the job training, even for really experienced CNC programmers. I may wind up having to train remotely if we find a home in Ohio, because I'm not going to wait around for work, I gave them more than enough notice.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 11:13 AM   #43
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Found out this morning not even one person has applied for my position, pretty surprising TBH. Pay is competitive, benefits here are great, and it's a great company to work for. I went ahead and relaxed some of the requirements, moved them to "preferred qualifications."

My boss was asking me this morning if me leaving was about money, basically trying to keep me on board. I wish it was, but it's a lot more than that. Nice to know how valued I am though. At this point it's almost a certainty I'm going to have to work here remotely, there's not enough time between when we expect to move and now to train someone.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 11:19 AM   #44
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Found out this morning not even one person has applied for my position, pretty surprising TBH. Pay is competitive, benefits here are great, and it's a great company to work for. I went ahead and relaxed some of the requirements, moved them to "preferred qualifications."

My boss was asking me this morning if me leaving was about money, basically trying to keep me on board. I wish it was, but it's a lot more than that. Nice to know how valued I am though. At this point it's almost a certainty I'm going to have to work here remotely, there's not enough time between when we expect to move and now to train someone.
That’s surprising. People don’t want to work I guess, but that’s all in your favor. There are worse ways to go than working remotely. Is that something you’re ok with?
Old Sep 20, 2021, 11:31 AM   #45
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
That’s surprising. People don’t want to work I guess, but that’s all in your favor. There are worse ways to go than working remotely. Is that something you’re ok with?
I think it might be the high requirements I set. I basically set requirements that I meet. I've loosened them up to be more like the requirements I had when I first started here.

I told them up front I'd be okay with remote work. They know that may be required at this point, but they aren't stoked on it.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 11:15 PM   #46
jimmyboy
Walk it off!

jimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badgesjimmyboy doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzer View Post
As one of the 3Cs (Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati) Columbus is the best of them.

The northern shores are nice around Lake Erie. Southeastern Ohio is actually quite beautiful (hills, forests, caves, etc.) and sparsely populated. Cincinnati has some nice attractions and waterfront restaurants.
I've spent a little bit of time in Cleveland, the only C city I've been to in Ohio. Not sure I'd live there but it was fine during the time of year when I was there, which was in spring time (March or April).

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Ive been reading about Tennessee as some kind of low tax happy land. Winters cant be too bad in Ohio, Toronto/Montreal much north of there have mild winters (compared to here anyways), and you can avoid the east coast humidity being more inland.
I've also spent a little bit of time in Nashville, and time of year was I think late January or some time in February. There was a lot of rain but temperature wasn't too bad. I could see myself living there at least for a while. It's certainly a place to be if you like live music.
jimmyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM   #47
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
I think it might be the high requirements I set. I basically set requirements that I meet. I've loosened them up to be more like the requirements I had when I first started here.

I told them up front I'd be okay with remote work. They know that may be required at this point, but they aren't stoked on it.
I hope it all works out to the best for you I get nervous when there’s any uncertainty surrounding my employment (and we get it a lot lol) so hopefully you won’t have to deal with that.