Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Jan 7, 2009, 12:41 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
Words are just words and going to be tough to convince some when one has to see first-hand. I'm pretty convinced based on the first hand views offered so far and really paying attention, but the only way to truly know is frigg'n try it.
I don't need words, I use to be a owner of the E-Dimensional Stereographic glasses, and know just how well the 3D works.

Thing is though, I can't be arsed with PC hardware anymore.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 01:22 PM   #92
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Desire to hear first hand views on these 3d glasses and desire to know if they're much better than past offerings. If they're similar to past offerings than what's the point? They have to be the real deal to me or just will go 2560 x 1600. I've tried past glasses - loved the effect initially but the limitations soured the experiences after some time.

Last edited by SIrPauly : Jan 7, 2009 at 01:26 PM.
SIrPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 01:24 PM   #93
CyberScott
Radeon R300

CyberScott is still being judged by the masses

Looks like the MSRP will be $199 US and initially support up to 350 games.

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/s...leID=212700486
CyberScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 7, 2009, 01:57 PM   #94
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

There's always some premium at the start but pricing should go down as time passes. They're finally going to be offered -- about time -- will see what they're all about very soon, one may imagine.

Thanks for link.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 02:05 PM   #95
CyberScott
Radeon R300

CyberScott is still being judged by the masses

I've been keeping on on the technology too. I have a 3D ready DLP TV so I'm waiting on reviews to start flooding the web to make a decision.
We should know more as CES 2009 progresses
CyberScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 02:42 PM   #96
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberScott View Post
I've been keeping on on the technology too. I have a 3D ready DLP TV so I'm waiting on reviews to start flooding the web to make a decision.
We should know more as CES 2009 progresses
Please, if you get the glasses -- so do share, it will be appreciated!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 06:10 PM   #97
JethroBodine
Banned

JethroBodine is still being judged by the masses

http://cnettv.cnet.com/2001-1_53-500...-50004878.html

Tomorrow morning on the CBS News you can see Bryan Del Rizzo (NVIDIA PR Sr. Manager) discussing this.

It all changes tomorrow, fellow gamers.
JethroBodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2009, 08:00 PM   #98
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Thats a good find Jethro -- thank you! CBS news -- that's something.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 08:06 PM   #99
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Finally we are almost here and will find out if this is the goods. Jethro I hope it delivers -- you're endorsing it you bastard.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 06:21 AM   #100
JethroBodine
Banned

JethroBodine is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Finally we are almost here and will find out if this is the goods. Jethro I hope it delivers -- you're endorsing it you bastard.
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...1&limitstart=6

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid...e=expert&pid=7

The reviews agree with me so far.
JethroBodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2009, 09:37 AM   #101
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

That's the thing, many are going to need to see this first-hand to appreciate the effect and no doubt nVidia understands this much more than anyone else.

It's a choice; it's welcomed and something to look forward to. Just so happen, I'm in the market for a monitor -- so that doesn't bother me too much.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 10:35 AM   #102
mynakedrat2
Bobcats gold weights

mynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Old Jan 8, 2009, 11:18 AM   #103
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

I like ChrisRay's view because he presented the cons and what to expect over-all. There are a lot of pro's but some work to be done to improve this over time -- which is to be expected. Reminds me a bit like Sli -- in it's earlier days -- great potential -- needs maturity.

The Bastard had to offer this though:

Quote:
World of Warcraft: World of Warcraft was actually my best experience with the glasses. It seems Blizzard and Nvidia have been working hard on making this game a showcase of the technology. For those familiar with the game. These descriptions will bear alot more meaning. But when your flying around the world on your flying mount the world has so much more depth to it. Passing by other people mounted in the air would make it seem like a dragon is swooshing by me. In the daily quest for the Battle of Wymrest Temple. The Blue dragons are shooting you with bolts of energy. And these bolts look as if they are "flying" into your monitor. I had one zap past me and it almost made me jump. Blizzard is also apparently releasing a patch a that will improve the experience. The only flaw I encountered was the mouse pointer appeared 2D. Nvidia informed me that the mouse pointer should be fixed in an upcoming blizzard patch. I very much look forward to testing these glasses with other MMORPGs as I think they have the chance to provide true realism to these games.

Hehe, enjoyed that but will see how things mature over time.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 03:01 PM   #104
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...11324&Itemid=1

Monitors are not too bad at 349 and should drop as times passes. Really do need an extra monitor.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:18 AM   #105
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Here is a review from Anandtech:

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3493

Pretty tough on it at times but desire to hear cons as well.

Last edited by SIrPauly : Jan 9, 2009 at 11:23 AM.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:25 AM   #106
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=656&type=overview

Another review. It seems there are still some sacrifices here and there but good to see an IHV bringing this back.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:33 AM   #107
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Quote:
But when I played Call of Duty: World At War, it was another story: Stereoscopic technology is going to totally change the way we play first-person shooters. Along with a good pair of headphones, the GeForce 3D Vision had me totally immersed in the game. Blood, bodies, and bullets were flying all around me, and it was awesome. The images produced were not quite the 3D we are used to seeing at the movies. There was nothing flying out over my head, for instance, but the glasses give a depth of feel that is almost tangible. It felt like I was playing a game where the monitor was like an intense diorama; the images were no longer flat on the screen, and I felt like I was in the middle of the combat, not just standing behind or in front of it
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2338296,00.asp

Then you read quotes like this -- and gets ya excited a bit.

The only way to know is hopefully nVidia will showcase this at local retail outlets or a nVidia road trip traveling to malls around countries. People would need to see the effect first-hand -- then they would share their views with others.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:37 AM   #108
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

This is a great line to me and sums up what I've read:

Quote:
Having played with Nvidia’s new shades for the past several days, it’s safe to say that they’ll fundamentally change the way you experience 3D. However, we’re not quite ready to call the technology bullet-proof.
Very good line.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ereo,2121.html
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:40 AM   #109
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

Now do the glasses still retain the sharpness of color in the images? I mean... everytime I've tried 3d movies or anything the color got all screwed up. Does everything look the same as it normally would, except with added depth?
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:45 AM   #110
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokerzwild View Post
Now do the glasses still retain the sharpness of color in the images? I mean... everytime I've tried 3d movies or anything the color got all screwed up. Does everything look the same as it normally would, except with added depth?
Yes, colour is not affected.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:51 AM   #111
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Quote:
Nvidia says it is seeding developers right now with stereoscopic hardware and expects those same "pop-out" effects to start emerging in games this year. Once that happens, the must-experience factor of GeForce 3D Vision will increase. Ideally, prices on the glasses, monitors, and cards will also be lower by then.
Another quote from Tom's Hardware's site above

The performance hit is expected considering it has to do twice the work and why Sli abilities are welcomed. It's here now and lets see what the future holds moving forward with this.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:53 AM   #112
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

Here's a cool breakdown of the game impressions in that pcper article you linked above. I especially like the bit about GRID. The in-car view would be simply coolness with these things.

Breakdown by Game

Left 4 Dead

I played this game the most simply because it has been the game of choice in recent weeks for me and my friends. Not only is it simply addictively fun, the zombie-attacking-you-from-the-side routine actually translates into the 3D imagery quite well. The game play is very fun and the additional feeling of zombies coming “at” you is unique to say the least and there are some interesting details like the way the smoke from your weapon change lingers on the screen. The only downside to the 3D Vision technology on this game came with the text hovering over other characters heads or over items you interact with – the text didn’t seem to have the same location depth as the item it was point to and sometimes caused my eyes to freeze up and refocus as I read the text.

Call of Duty 4

The CoD4 engine required me to turn off Glow and Depth of Field features to get the best 3D Vision experience but I have to say I didn’t much miss those settings once I got in the game. The engine played beautifully with the NVIDIA software and even just seeing the depth provided by looking down the scope of a sniper rifle was impressive to see.

Call of Duty: World at War

World at War had a few more bugs and problems but was still very playable. The smoke in the game, and the heat haze effect, didn’t play perfectly well with the 3D Vision and while I assume the game has the same support for depth of field and for glow, there were no settings in the control panel to disable them.

Far Cry 2

Again here the fire effects in the game gave 3D Vision the most problems but the title still looked great through the 3D glasses. In this game, I was forced to turn off DX10 mode and revert to DX9 in order to lower a couple of IQ settings that NVIDIA recommend for the best experience.

Guitar Hero: Aerosmith

A very simple title, the game didn’t require any kind of in-game adjustments and admittedly the difference between the standard and 3D versions of this game are fairly small. Seeing the notes scroll from “inside” the screen to the front makes it more fun but doesn’t necessarily add to this basic rhythm game’s experience.

Race Driver: GRID

GRID was a great example of how the NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision technology can change how the game feels, especially when you zoom into the camera view inside the car itself. All of the dashboard gadgets, steering wheel and other items truly fell separated and the sensation of driving was definitely stronger. Even in out-of-car viewing angles other cards on the road added a new dimension (okay, a slight pun intended) to racing.

World in Conflict

Somewhat surprisingly to me, this game actually benefited dramatically from the 3D Vision technology. Even though you have to turn off shadows in the game for the best experience, and the smoke on the field produced some slight artifacting, the overall game play was definitely better with the 3D glasses than without.

Crysis

This is the only game in which I found a game-ender: attempting to enable the 3D Vision technology caused the image to “freeze” on the screen while the audio continued to run correctly. Hitting the 3D Vision button another time “unfroze” the image and any movements you had made during the lock up period were definitely being accepted and used. It seems this is likely a driver bug the team will address soon after the products release.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 12:01 PM   #113
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Some views differ from others -- Anand's view on fallout was tough and then you read this view:

Quote:
The fact that Fallout 3 didn’t require any configuration alterations in order to work correctly made it the most representative of how Nvidia might be able to leverage its developer relations strengths in the future to ensure that this technology "just works" in upcoming titles.
It's neat to read all the views though to try to gauge this new technology.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 08:04 AM   #114
Creig
Radeon R100

Creig is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Another quote from Tom's Hardware's site above

The performance hit is expected considering it has to do twice the work and why Sli abilities are welcomed. It's here now and lets see what the future holds moving forward with this.
What's odd is that the "old" ELSA Revelator 3D stereoscopic glasses work exactly the same as these "new" Nvidia 3D stereoscopic glasses, yet the ELSA glasses framerate hit was only around 30% whereas the Nvidia glasses reduce framerates by 50% across the board.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/revelator/page5.asp

Are the Nvidia drivers simply not optimized yet or are they trying to use the glasses to sell SLI? It seems hard to believe that they managed to have lower overhead drivers 10 years ago that can't be duplicated today.
Creig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2009, 11:06 AM   #115
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

http://chrisray.soterial.com/3dglasses/3dvisionperf.png

I don't know if they are done the same exact way but do know that GeForce 3d Vision does the scene twice and then merges the data. In GPU limited scenes can see this taking quite the hit -- sure -- but there isn't too many games that are strictly GPU limited at 1680 x 1050 right now.

Granted, since these are GPU limited -- just another bonus for Sli owners and eventually Tri and Quad moving forward.

The key to this is the actual gaming experience factors more-so than jumping up for joy about frame-rate. Raw performance is great and all but so is more choices to use the Raw performance as well.

Still learning more about it. But what I've learned is nVidia seems to be very committed to making this as seamless as possible and going to use the developer strength to add out-of-the-screen effects in games.

What happens when 120hz monitors become more mainstream? And glasses drop in price as software and hardware improves? With anything new there are always cons but what is great about this is the choice and a commitment from a powerful IHV.

Here is something that was curious about since they're doing the screen twice and merging the data:

Quote:
Positive Note: Since you basically rendering the scene twice and merging it. You do get a psuedo AA effect. So the need for high levels of AA does diminish by a substancial bit
Old Jan 14, 2009, 02:11 PM   #116
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Here is an article offering a GeForce3d vision vs IZ3d and touches on AMD/ATI.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/iz3...l#xtor=RSS-181
Old Jan 15, 2009, 09:15 AM   #117
mynakedrat2
Bobcats gold weights

mynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

thanks for that sirpauly!! I just ordered one of the last gen 3d models, which is just like the current gen except it cant be used well on a LCD. I got it for 5.00$ on Amazon So i am excited., I will have it in a day or two.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 12:52 PM   #118
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

I just had a thought - you better know where you keys, mouse and stuff are!
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2009, 02:29 PM   #119
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

I thought these monitors are supposed to be available, yet I haven't seen any offered online anywhere.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2009, 10:34 PM   #120
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
I thought these monitors are supposed to be available, yet I haven't seen any offered online anywhere.
Indeed. Just for a laugh, I wandered into my local Austin Computers shop and asked them if they had any 120Hz compaitble monitors. They looked at me and said, "Err, monitors are rated by millisecond refresh rate". I said, "Yes, that's the response time of the monitor, but the refresh rate supported by the monitor is controlled by the display circuitry within it, as well as the drivers for it."

Blank stare.

"So, I take it you don't."

"Err, no."

"Pity, since nVidia are releasing their new stereoscopic glasses that require 120Hz monitors for LCD."

"Huh?"

"You've not heard of that either?"

"Err..."

"Bye."
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote