Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:45 PM   #1741
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I'm not convinced 8K displays are necessary right now. We don't have the GPU horsepower to push that kind of resolution anyway. There is already next to no SDE with 4K displays, and the clarity is pretty damn good, as well.
I have a question. Would there even be a noticeably perceivable difference between a 4k and a 8k display 3 inches from your eye?
andino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2021, 06:41 AM   #1742
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Destroy once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
I have a question. Would there even be a noticeably perceivable difference between a 4k and a 8k display 3 inches from your eye?
With owning a Reverb, as nice as it is, yes.

Its the newspaper effect right now, higher res would improve and I would definitely want higher than 4k for a better image.
Old Mar 7, 2021, 08:22 AM   #1743
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Yes, it would make a large difference.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 8, 2021, 08:38 AM   #1744
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

Looking into the "distance" in VR would benefit greatly with an 8k display. I'd probably wager even 16k wouldn't be enough to achieve the kind of clarity we'd need for distance fidelity.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2021, 02:12 PM   #1745
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Yeah, I fully agree that 8K, or maybe even 16K would provide more clarity. Even at 4K it's definitely not "real life" clarity.

However, it doesn't really matter right now, because even if you had a game that supported SLI, two 3090s in SLI can't push two 8K VR displays. We're a ways off from hitting the hardware requirements, and it's probably going to require eye tracking for dynamic FOVeated rendering. Also they probably can't even make small 8K displays affordably right now, so we're a long way away in terms of all the technology.

From a practical standpoint, 4K displays are pretty damn good for the tech we currently have. If all VR displays were 4K, and we had the graphics horsepower to easily push that res on sub $400 GPUs, then VR would be in a good place.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2021, 02:08 PM   #1746
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

8K is doable with DLSS and Foveated Rendering tricks.

Plus they want to eventually track your eyeballs, so that the screen is only high res directly where you are looking.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 02:35 PM   #1747
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

https://www.roadtovr.com/valve-index...t-head-mounts/

Newly Published Valve Patent Envisions Wireless & Standalone Versions of Index, New Head-mounts

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2021, 12:17 PM   #1748
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Old Mar 31, 2021, 06:11 PM   #1749
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/31/micr...r-us-army.html

Microsoft wins U.S. Army contract for augmented reality headsets, worth up to $21.9 billion over 10 years

Microsoft will deliver to the U.S. Army more than 120,000 devices based on its HoloLens augmented reality headset.

The deal, which could be worth as much as $21.88 billion over 10 years, follows a contract Microsoft received to build prototype headsets for the Army.

The contract comes a year and a half after Microsoft won a cloud contract from the Pentagon that could be worth up to $10 billion.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...tundra-tracker

kickstarter for tundra tracker

Old Apr 7, 2021, 07:48 PM   #1750
Cream
Radeon R700

Cream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Just got myself a Quest 2, loving the quality improvement over my CV1, and no cables whoop whoop. Using virtual desktop to play Project cars 2.
16GB Corsair DDR4 ,1TB 970 EVO plus / 1TB SSD 860 evo / 2TB SSD 870 QVO / 2X 1TB SSD 870 QVO, 2TB hybrid drive storage drive,
Zowie FK1, Oculus CV1 & Quest 2, Logitech G920, black widow Ultimate, Xbox one pad. Saitec X-55 H.O.T.A.S.
Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2021, 11:42 AM   #1751
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Old May 11, 2021, 12:29 PM   #1752
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

Just pre-ordered the Vive Pro 2.

Old May 11, 2021, 02:48 PM   #1753
Arrowhead
to the knee.

Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Just pre-ordered the Vive Pro 2.

Yup, instant preorder.

Kinda nervous though that HTC has moved away from OLED screens and are using LCD on the Pro 2. Oh well, better not suck.
Arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2021, 03:48 PM   #1754
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Looks nice, but to rich for my blood.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2021, 05:13 PM   #1755
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
Yup, instant preorder.

Kinda nervous though that HTC has moved away from OLED screens and are using LCD on the Pro 2. Oh well, better not suck.
Probably just a price/supply issue. Oculus faced this same issue back when this all started for VR. Pointing out that the screens chosen had less to do with what is best, than what was easily available. Coming down really to what the cellphone industry is doing.

Doubt it will suck overall

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2021, 06:58 PM   #1756
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

I'm not feeling that price though.
Old May 11, 2021, 07:22 PM   #1757
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

For Pro VR equipment, it's not that bad of a price.

It's $50USD less than I paid for the Vive Pro in 2018.
Old May 11, 2021, 07:54 PM   #1758
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

For me coming from a Samsung Odyssey I would need the whole $1400 package. I'm thinking a reverb G2 would be a better upgrade at $599.

It's also possible Samsung might eventually have their own new cheaper VR headset as well with the same lens as the Vive Pro 2, which is what the Odyssey is to Vive Pro. The updated display is what I would really want, not the extra stuff or better room tracking from the Vive.
Old May 12, 2021, 02:13 AM   #1759
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

What do you guys think are the top three headsets? I have a reverb G1 and was thinking about getting the G2, but would like some options. For 100% seated play.
Old May 12, 2021, 02:15 AM   #1760
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

$1400 is a chunk of change. You can piece it out for cheaper. Get a few Gen 1 base stations ($135 each) and some gen 1 wands ($129 each). $1280 with the $750 headset total. For $120 extra though you get the Gen 2 stuff which is really nice.

But IMO it's not a bad investment. This will be my third Vive VR headset. Each and every one is still in working order and each and every one was well worth the cost to me and the family. My Vive Pro gets about 20~30 hours of play a week. Sometimes more if the kiddos are our of school. Aside from a few controllers that lost their directional pad clicking to the right (that I looked up the fix on youtube) I haven't had many issues with them. Even with that much play. That to me is worth the extra that I pay.
Old May 12, 2021, 11:27 AM   #1761
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Quote:
$1400 is a chunk of change. You can piece it out for cheaper. Get a few Gen 1 base stations ($135 each) and some gen 1 wands ($129 each). $1280 with the $750 headset total. For $120 extra though you get the Gen 2 stuff which is really nice.

But IMO it's not a bad investment. This will be my third Vive VR headset. Each and every one is still in working order and each and every one was well worth the cost to me and the family. My Vive Pro gets about 20~30 hours of play a week. Sometimes more if the kiddos are our of school. Aside from a few controllers that lost their directional pad clicking to the right (that I looked up the fix on youtube) I haven't had many issues with them. Even with that much play. That to me is worth the extra that I pay.
I only use VR for maybe one or two hours a week, and that is mainly for indie VR horror games. I also prefer sitting down, so the inside out tracking of the Odyssey (and Reverb G2) would benefit me more than the extra cost of base stations since I don't really stand up and walk around (I prefer teleportation movement in VR games).

But, the biggest thing for me is the optics. So I have to see how much better the Vive Pro 2 is compared to the Reverb G2 in terms of clarity. Especially for "in the distance" clarity like looking at the scenery towards the horizon. Up close is fine with the Odssey, but distance scenery tends to get blurred because it's not high resolution enough.

I wouldn't mind buying the Vive Pro 2 if it has much better distance clarity over the Reverb G2. Will wait for a review something like this:

Old May 13, 2021, 01:01 PM   #1762
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I think the price for these things are outlandish especially when they really have no big games backing them.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2021, 01:26 PM   #1763
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

VR doesn't really need big games. I prefer the smaller indie titles, and there are tons of them with new ones coming out all the time.
Old May 13, 2021, 01:38 PM   #1764
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
VR doesn't really need big games. I prefer the smaller indie titles, and there are tons of them with new ones coming out all the time.

I would definitely disagree. It needs some super exclusive thing that can only be done with a VR unit to draw way more people in to get more poeple into the eco system to drive VR unit costs down.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2021, 03:32 PM   #1765
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

IMO, you are both kinda right here.

It needs more HL Alex type games and AAA releases for sure. At this point, I'm comfortable adding MSFS2020 to the list of AAA releases. It's getting better and better with each update for VR.

I think Exposed is also right here. Indy VR games keeps VR afloat between the AAA game releases.

I'd love to see VR be standardized releases. No more Oculus Only games and no more Steam Only games. That's what is killing the growth of VR more than anything else.

Last edited by andino : May 13, 2021 at 03:48 PM.
Old May 13, 2021, 03:40 PM   #1766
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

The big stuff is probably going to end up being Quest only and psvr2 only in the future.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2021, 05:15 AM   #1767
CyanBlues
Radeon Southern Islands

CyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete stranger

didn't even see this, now I gotta go test it out lol

Quote:
The latest beta update of SteamVR, version 1.17.8, now offers two more.

First is a ‘Field-of-view’ adjustment which works a bit like foveated rendering—you can optionally choose to reduce the size of the application’s field-of-view, thereby concentrating all of the available processing power in a smaller region.

https://www.roadtovr.com/steamvr-fie...cale-override/
Old May 16, 2021, 06:50 AM   #1768
CyanBlues
Radeon Southern Islands

CyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete strangerCyanBlues once held a door open for a complete stranger

yeah field of view sucks, it just really shrinks the field of view on the lens, basically feels like putting black bars on the side of the lens
Old May 25, 2021, 10:41 AM   #1769
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

I've been reading the new Pimax 8k X (latest revision) offers the best in terms of visuals and fov that even the Vive Pro2 won't touch.

Problem is that $1400 price tag for just the headset alone. Controllers and base stations are extra. That's almost a $2k investment. But damn VR Pr0n, I mean Half Life Alyx, would be damn good to play in VR with

Last edited by Exposed : May 26, 2021 at 09:36 AM.
Old May 25, 2021, 06:01 PM   #1770
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Will stick with my console peasant Quest 2 at these prices.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote