Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Feb 26, 2021, 01:54 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Troubleshooting Help

So as it goes I was getting errors all across the board on my RTX 3090 whilst playing games. I finally found the Intel graphics driver installation and nuked it. Post that I starting getting some exception on Death Stranding rather than hang/reboot. Thus far, I did not get any issues that are plaguing the RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra models specifically namely: black screen and 100% fan speed, voltage spikes, or games causing reboots (with the exception of Death Stranding example above). Looking at event viewer I was seeing errors on Intel services, DCOM services and sometimes on bluetooth services. So here is what I have tried:

- Check all connections to the card
- Run multi loop 3dmark runs
- Cock slap the card
- Uninstalling a lot of junk drivers (including Z370 drivers that I found, ASUS drivers I found and Intel drivers)
- Completely reinstalling windows
- Mining non stop on the card since it arrived

Everything has been fine with the exception of these intermittent crashes to desktop in CODCW and Death Stranding.

Right now I am downpumping about 250 GB of games again so that I can try a lot of games today to see if the card is good.

Any other ideas are welcome. If I get one more crash, next step already in the pipe is to remove cable extensions that I have on the card right now.

Anything else I am missing?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2021, 05:26 AM   #2
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

So after downloading about 400 GBs of games and crap at least no crashes yet on Death Stranding and Cold War. Still tentative if this whole thing worked. Was getting slightly lower benches on CBR20 so downloaded AMD chipset drivers and seem to have gotten back in terms of scores.

Mining is also running fine. Can’t wait to put a hybrid on this and install those ram sinks at the back.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 07:57 AM   #3
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Cool man!

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 26, 2021, 08:38 AM   #4
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Thought this was going to be a remorse thread. Was disappoint.

Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2021, 08:46 AM   #5
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Thought this was going to be a remorse thread. Was disappoint.

If I didn’t sell my 3080 for 1635 and also didn’t make a 150 profit on the previous FTW3 3080 to make up the cost of this 3090 then yes I would be having remorse. As it stands I am OK with this card. It is hashing at a higher rate, running silent and has lower mem junction temps than the ASUS TUF. Asus was also running fan speed very high at 80% for mining with memory junction temps of 106 C.

With the mods I am going to be doing hopefully I can bring those temps down. I also have a hybrid cooler coming which will only cost an additional 50 shipping to reach me. So yeah not complaining right now. All is good and well under the ~$1000 spend limit on a graphics card. Also to be honest if you have a 3080 you aren’t really missing out. Except the FPS counter jumping 20 FPS at 1440P on most games already at 160-180 FPS you won’t notice a difference.

I have yet to try two games that really challenged the 3080 which were Cyberpunk and WDL. Since I finished those both I don’t care either way for them.

P.S. there is still a likelihood that this card won’t survive and that my issues are not fixed. I haven’t played enough to claim all is rosy just yet.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 08:49 AM   #6
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Good job, KAC. I'm just jealous that you were able to get your hands on those cards. Every place I look is sold out.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2021, 09:00 AM   #7
KAC
It might be gays!

Try Hardforum. Always some peep selling cards at near MSRP.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 11:02 AM   #8
KAC
It might be gays!

Btw I got the Death Stranding CH000005 error as well. Finally figured out that it is nothing to do with my hardware and everything to do with the game conflicting with Windows guards against exploits. So found a Russian video that showed how to disable exploit guards for DS and run it. Played about 2 hours after that and delivered tons of packages without a single issue.

Still very surprising that I didn't get these errors on my 3080 and 3070 where I finished my game but happened with a 3090. Many people were saying disabling DLSS will fix but it seems even people w/ 1080s were having issues.

So anyways, if someone gets that error don't chalk it up to bad video card or windows. It was really just the damn game.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 01:12 PM   #9
KAC
It might be gays!

Damn, kid was playing BOCW and it crashed again asking for scan and repair. The new release notes state that the game might crash.

https://support.activision.com/black...k-ops-cold-war

Really not sure if it is the card still.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 01:36 PM   #10
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Man that's really getting hard to diagnose.

yoz
Old Feb 26, 2021, 01:55 PM   #11
KAC
It might be gays!

It seems it might be the monitoring software such as MSI AB that is causing this. Going to play CODBOCW tomorrow w/o any software and see if it happens.

First it was Death Stranding and now this. 2 games I am playing lol. I need to also check an angle that it might be DLSS/RTX features causing this crap as well. Will try Cyberjunk 2077 tomorrow and see if it crashes. If it does, it is either nV drivers or the card h/w. Not even sure if it's possible that RTX causes crashes?

Everything runs fine using different cards. I also backed down CO on core 6 as I saw a WHEA error logged in event viewer (might be because of this card pulling so much power that CPU threw a WHEA error?) No BSOD or anything though and error said Core 6 which is not a preferred core.
Old Feb 26, 2021, 01:57 PM   #12
acroig
Troll SMod

Yeah everyone says that AB causes crashes but personally I have never been able to reproduce that.

yoz
Old Feb 26, 2021, 03:13 PM   #13
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Wait, did I miss something here? Aren't you running an AMD system? Like you secure erased your **** before booting up the AMD system right? After removing your drives from your old Intel rig???
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 3080Ti Sixtuple SLI KAC Edition, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2021, 07:05 PM   #14
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

He needs to reinstall Windows.

andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 2021, 08:23 PM   #15
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
He needs to reinstall Windows.

Check first post.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 03:55 AM   #16
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Check first post.
Put the chip and memory to stock for testing purposes. No OC
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2021, 04:35 AM   #17
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Put the chip and memory to stock for testing purposes. No OC
You know this is a good point.

It could be the GPU is either allowing higher frame rates, putting the CPU under higher load where it's proving not to be 100% stable. Or the higher power draw of the GPU is putting more strain on the PSU so the power delivery to the CPU is not as consistent, also resulting in instability if the CPU was right at the edge of stable.

It's something worth considering at least.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2021, 04:46 AM   #18
KAC
It might be gays!

Card I am running stock but 5900X is running with mild overclock and curve optimizer. I really don’t think it is power since errors seem to be known/software errors. Another suggestion I saw for CODCW was to disable DLSS which is what I did and managed to play for 1 hour without issues.

I did try other games and they are running fine including Cyberpunk and Dirt 5. I will keep testing but both Death Stranding and COD are having known issues which are widely acknowledged. However, I am able to find fixes and play those games. Very weird as these two games I had no issues playing with on my 3080 and 3070.

Now I do know that windows is running fine, most games are fine, even Death Stranding is fine, mining is fine so it has to be software.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 05:22 AM   #19
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Have you tried different drivers? Try rolling back one driver set.

Main thing is that you test one change at a time though. I would remove all CPU OC and curve optimizer bs. Turn it all off, run CPU entirely stock.

I haven't had any issues with CODCW except the one set of NV drivers that would crash with my 9900K. When I put the 10900K in with a fresh install of Windows, it never crashed again.

Good to run the card stock as well. Eliminate as many potential variables as possible; it'll make finding the issue much quicker.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Feb 27, 2021, 06:11 AM   #20
KAC
It might be gays!

Right now I am testing system stability. Then will dive deeper into COD. System seems to be absolutely fine doing everything else including Death Stranding.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 09:34 AM   #21
KAC
It might be gays!

So I turned off curve optimizer but did not turn off PBO.

Tried 2 games. Dirt 5 crashed with this error.
Faulting application name: game_release.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x6029c8b4
Faulting module name: VCRUNTIME140.dll, version: 14.28.29231.0, time stamp: 0x5f4c66c9
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00000000000012de
Faulting process id: 0x1494
Faulting application start time: 0x01d70d16bd7f73d4
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\CodemastersSoftwareCompan.DiRT5_1.2579.81.0_x64__4cfye3zbe1gaw\game_release.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\microsoft.vclibs.140.00.uwpdesktop_14.0.29231.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\VCRUNTIME140.dl l
Report Id: 61fc343b-6253-452b-a606-f9d5c81bd250
Faulting package full name: CodemastersSoftwareCompan.DiRT5_1.2579.81.0_x64__4cfye3zbe1gaw
Faulting package-relative application ID: game.release

And then I tried Immortals Fenyx Rising and it also crashed.

Next up is to turn down ram overclocks and see what's up. This is extremely annoying. I had no such issues without the 3090.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 09:55 AM   #22
acroig
Troll SMod

Intel to the rescue?

yoz
Old Feb 27, 2021, 10:06 AM   #23
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

Are your memory sticks getting heat dumped on them by the card? Some memory types are temperature sensitive. I'm always running high memory overclocks so I have to not only use direct cooling on the sticks, but also redirect the GPU heat away from them. Anyway, more GPU power = more heat = memory issues?

If you have a box fan or a table fan you could try placing it so it blows on your memory and see if that helps. Also you could up the memory/SOC/VDDG voltages a notch (assuming you're not running them high already).
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2021, 10:19 AM   #24
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Intel to the rescue?
Sounds like the card. No problems with 3080 and now all games crash with new card.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27, 2021, 10:56 AM   #25
KAC
It might be gays!

So I backed down the overclock on CPU and was very happy because everything was running fine. I also set memory back to default XMP profile. The only thing overclocked is FCLK at 1867 and DDR4 at 3733. I am going to back that down now as well.

Played Immortals Fenyx Rising for more than 1 hour. Then logged onto the Dirt 5 and everything was fine until got a crash yet again. My theory is that CPU PCIe lanes can't handle the load and I need to back down FCLK to stock otherwise, the card is causing the crash. Something I have no way to prove since all crashes seem to be software related.

Rebooting now again.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 11:55 AM   #26
KAC
It might be gays!

Well I reset bios and only set XMP to Profile 1 (DDR4 3600) and everything else on Auto and Dirt 5 still crashed. It seems this is a common issue.

Wtf all games I am playing are crashing and it is a common issue? You can search Dirt 5 crashing to desktop and there are tons of users on steam or gamepass having this issue not only on PC but also on PS5 and XSX.

Time to try out COD CW and Immortals Fenyx Rising. Immortals I played for quite a lot without crashes. Now my PC is fully bone stock. I am just pissed off.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 12:20 PM   #27
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Have you tried a different driver yet?
Old Feb 27, 2021, 12:28 PM   #28
KAC
It might be gays!

Not really. I got the latest driver. I can maybe go back to the previous one. Drivers are different this time around. That is correct since a new one was released 2 days ago.

What a disaster. I spent so much time trying to replicate issues since they don’t crop up immediately. For example right now my son has been playing CW with DLSS for past 30 minutes and no crash. Wtf is this? I am literally losing half hour to 1 hour before an issue is reproduced. Will try new driver tomorrow morning now.

1 hour 22 minutes of COD BOCW w/ DLSS. No crashes.

Last edited by KAC : Feb 27, 2021 at 01:23 PM.
Old Feb 27, 2021, 02:05 PM   #29
acroig
Troll SMod

Any regrets?

yoz
Old Feb 27, 2021, 02:13 PM   #30
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Not really. I got the latest driver. I can maybe go back to the previous one. Drivers are different this time around. That is correct since a new one was released 2 days ago.

What a disaster. I spent so much time trying to replicate issues since they don’t crop up immediately. For example right now my son has been playing CW with DLSS for past 30 minutes and no crash. Wtf is this? I am literally losing half hour to 1 hour before an issue is reproduced. Will try new driver tomorrow morning now.

1 hour 22 minutes of COD BOCW w/ DLSS. No crashes.
Well KAC I've got an AMD 3800X and a KFA2 3090 and I've played a lot of Dirt 5 and COD CW and never had a single issue. I previoulsy had an AMD 5700XT and all I did was nuke the AMD drivers with DDU in safe mode and installed the new 3090 and bingo no issues. Haven't had to reinstall windows and all benchmarks I've run with everything stock are where they should be. I'm also running everything on an FSP Hydro 850w PSU.

IIRC when the 3080/3090 were launched there was an issue with some AIB's cheaping out on capicators which was causing the type of issues you are experiencing. EVGA admitted to being one of them. The full story is here.

https://www.techspot.com/news/86900-...0-crashes.html

Unfortunately whilst you might hope it's a software issue it's most likely a GPU issue and you'll have to bite the bullet and RMA it. Sometimes the answer is staring you right in the face.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote