Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Mar 8, 2021, 08:48 AM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

So you gonna sell the hybrid kit?

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2021, 08:51 AM   #92
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Nope. Keeping it. I might give it a go when I change my case down the road.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2021, 08:58 AM   #93
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Nope. Keeping it. I might give it a go when I change my case down the road.
Cool.

yoz
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 8, 2021, 09:24 AM   #94
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Thinking about re-doing the front pads tonight
I have pulled apart this card now 6 times and it seems it will only take me 15 mins to do the whole thing.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 09:42 AM   #95
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Thinking about re-doing the front pads tonight
I have pulled apart this card now 6 times and it seems it will only take me 15 mins to do the whole thing.
Moar !!

yoz
Old Mar 8, 2021, 09:56 AM   #96
KAC
It might be gays!

Next time I do it, will take more shots. Can’t do it tonight. I already strained my back due to lifting this crap multiple times and standing for hours working on the card. First time it took so long. Now I don’t even know why it took that long lol. I think it were the bitch screws with nuts that you have to re do each time. Completely unnecessary and a very poor design from EVGA.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 12:44 PM   #97
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

Quote:
I am applying thermal paste on the pads (MX-4) to have a layer for transfer. I can't seem to find decent 2.5 mm or 3 mm pads that have high transfer. Best I found was 2 Watts lol. Even the Thermal Grizzly minus 8 (8 W) is only available in 1.5 mm size.

Right now I am stacking pads and my memory temps and power temps are exactly as per stock. The only one (where I haven't stacked) are the front chips and I am damn sure it is what is causing the 100-106 C junction temps. I also didn't apply thermal paste on those pads (between pad and copper).

I am going to re-do the whole thing when these pads are here. I don't know of a better thermal pad so if you know of one I am happy to go ahead and order that. I also tried finding out if I can order stock thermal pads same from EVGA and couldn't find it. If all else fails the last thing I will do is remove all pads from the hybrid kit and install those on the stock HSF. It will suck ass to do that but oh well, what can you do?
Do not stack pads. The coolers are made for certain size thermal pads. Stacking pads adds pressure to the chips and can damage the board. Pads are built for 1 layer use. Not stacking.

And, just so I know, you were putting TIM on too?

Dude....
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2021, 01:07 PM   #98
KAC
It might be gays!

Pad to copper TIM won’t do ****. I am not stupid enough to try it on memory chips that can be ripped from the board.

Everyone and their mothers is adding pads because EVGA went out of spec for their pads. If they had used pads like normal humans use of sizes that are readily available then we won’t have these issues. Heck their own hybrid cooler came with pads that don’t work. Also I feel like I was one of the few lucky ones who got a card that was under 100 C memory junction while mining. Most are in the 106-112 C which is where I was until I stacked some pads.

Btw not only is EVGA suffering from this my ASUS TUF also hit 110 C junction temperature with fans hitting 100% speed. I have heard same happen on Gigabyte and MSI cards as well. P.S. my PCB is already a bit bent due to stacking.

So stacking will have to do for now.
Old Mar 8, 2021, 11:51 PM   #99
KAC
It might be gays!

Been a full day now and I see that whatever I did is working. Typically my mining performance was about 0.000041XX or 0.000045XX per hour (across both 3090 and 3070). For past day my payments have increased to 0.000047XX to 0.000053XX. I don't know how but it happened. I can't believe it is just due to difficulty decrease or profitability increase on NH.

I also see routinely my hash rate is hovering in the 105-110 MH/s mark for the 3090 (used to be about 95-100 MH/s mark). This is because I run the Medium profile on NH which limits card at 80% power.

Can't wait for new thermal pads to be here.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 01:47 PM   #100
acroig
Troll SMod

yoz
Old Mar 9, 2021, 07:25 PM   #101
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Subscriber

I do not have temp problems on my FTW3 3090 with the hybrid cooler installed. then again - I have a noctua nh-d15 right next to the top of the card with 2 fans attached to it. I also have the rad for the hybrid cooler exhausting out of the top of my case and 2 140mm fans at the front of the case dumping cold air directly on to the card.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2021, 07:55 PM   #102
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

Even when my 3090 had the fans on it I don't think my memory temps were ever above 75C~80C. The GPU only got to 75C~80C. It sounded like a hair dryer after 70C. The card actually ran really cool with the fan on it compared.

That 110C memory temp would freak me out.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 08:31 PM   #103
KAC
It might be gays!

Dave what are your mining temps on memory junction. Albeit I can get it to exhaust air through hybrid but then my CPU rad would be front mounted and pulling in hot air so I am SOL with this case. I will not be installing a hybrid until I change my case.

The link above are the pads I ordered. The problem with EVGA is that they need stacking as EVGA has varying gaps between HSF and components.

andino my gaming temps are about 75-80 C on memory junction and 65-72 C on memory components. Unless you are posting temps with mining, it is tough to understand what you are referencing as “your temps”. For me I am only worried about mining temps. For everything else I didn’t need to touch the card at all.

In hindsight it seems I really didn’t need to touch the card at all as memory was cooled much better without my interventions, fans were silent and card was running like a trooper all along.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 09:07 PM   #104
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Subscriber

Didn't see above 80c memory junction while mining. I don't mine anymore though and don't have nicehash installed. Made $1200 mining which offset the cost of the 3090 to a point where I'm satisfied.
Old Mar 9, 2021, 09:18 PM   #105
KAC
It might be gays!

I guess your ambient must be low. I have never seen 80 C in mining on any of my 3080s or this 3090.
Even others with 3090 haven’t reported temps that well. What pads did you use for memory with the hybrid?
Old Mar 10, 2021, 03:54 AM   #106
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I honestly think my 3090 is tapped out with the default air cooler, not going to bother water cooling it. Perhaps next gen.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 04:00 AM   #107
KAC
It might be gays!

If temps are 80 C or below for your use case there is no need. I also find the cooler on 3090 FTW3 much quieter than the POS 3080 FTW3 cooler I had.
Old Mar 10, 2021, 05:19 AM   #108
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
I guess your ambient must be low. I have never seen 80 C in mining on any of my 3080s or this 3090.
Even others with 3090 haven’t reported temps that well. What pads did you use for memory with the hybrid?

The ones that came with it
Old Mar 10, 2021, 11:41 PM   #109
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

KAC, I downloaded NiceHash and ran it for about an hour today.

The memory junction temp maxed at 65C and the GPU temp maxed 50C.

Old Mar 11, 2021, 12:32 AM   #110
KAC
It might be gays!

Yup, water cooling ftw
Also EVGA started a new RMA process for gays who can demonstrate that their card is crap by emailing [email protected] and getting the new revision of the cards. I am now seeing if my card really has power balancing issues but apparently if you can show PCIe slot watts to be above 80 watts consistently without any overclocking they will honor the shizzle ma nizzle.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 12:39 AM   #111
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Yup, water cooling ftw
Also EVGA started a new RMA process for gays who can demonstrate that their card is crap by emailing [email protected] and getting the new revision of the cards. I am now seeing if my card really has power balancing issues but apparently if you can show PCIe slot watts to be above 80 watts consistently without any overclocking they will honor the shizzle ma nizzle.
If I were you, I'd look into it.

I'd also say that it has issues with Dirt 5 and that there are random crashes on other games.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 12:52 AM   #112
KAC
It might be gays!

Yes, I just registered my card and am downloading Heaven to see if I have the issue.
I have not had any crashes with the 7 games I have tried except Dirt 5 which is an application error. It is also mining like a champ.

Yeah I don't think I can claim warranty. My max power draw is around 430 watts and PCIe slot power doesn't go above 78 watts even with power slider to the max in Heaven.

Last edited by KAC : Mar 11, 2021 at 12:57 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 12:11 PM   #113
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I love being right
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2021, 05:06 PM   #114
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Even though my card is OK, I'm applying for RMA just to see if I can get the new updated version with 500w BIOS preinstalled. Rumour is shunts have been reconfigured.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 02:57 PM   #115
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

KAC, if you are going to mine with this card you might want to think about going with a full water cooled system. You could offset the cost with the mining.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 09:27 AM   #116
KAC
It might be gays!

I know water can work wonders but I am just not mentally ready to do water right now. Maybe later can indulge in it. My pads shipped so first order of things would be to bring those memory temps down to about 98-100 C. Right now it keeps hovering between 100-108 C with average of 103.5 C.

Will probably fix it by next weekend. I am also thinking of making the 10700 my main PC for gaming as it is better to turn off mining on a 3070 than a 3090.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 09:46 AM   #117
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Fired up nicehash just for you kac - with a +950 memory overclock - tjunction was at 94c
Old Mar 13, 2021, 11:42 AM   #118
KAC
It might be gays!

At 950 memory overclock my card craps out lol.
What was your hash rate?
Old Mar 13, 2021, 11:52 AM   #119
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Old Mar 13, 2021, 03:33 PM   #120
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

When memory temps hit that high does it throttle the card?