Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Mar 11, 2021, 04:19 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Nvidia Has a Driver Overhead Problem, GeForce vs Radeon on Low-End CPUs

Old Mar 11, 2021, 08:43 AM   #2
xCLAVEx
Will not conform

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Pfft, not like anybody can find any of those cards listed anyway.

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2021, 08:59 AM   #3
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

It feels like this thread belongs in the Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies section.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 11, 2021, 09:45 AM   #4
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
It feels like this thread belongs in the Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies section.
Report it so mod can move it there.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2021, 11:12 AM   #5
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Report it so mod can move it there.
Done!
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2021, 11:13 AM   #6
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Good ol Hardware Unboxed, if its not AMD its bad.
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 3080Ti Sixtuple SLI KAC Edition, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2021, 11:39 AM   #7
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

HU is not saying that its saying dont pair a low end 6 core cpu with a high end gpu because nvidia will use 20-30% more of your cpu just to run their driver.

Its also not a good idea to pair a high end amd gpu as cpu limited situations will show up sooner.

Considering games will push towards cpu limitations over time its a good info to know what cpu to buy if you intend to hold onto it a long time.

Most people I know buy a cpu/mobo then swap out the gpu 2-3 times. Not the other way around. But to see a huge 20% to 30% cpu penalty just to run the gpu driver is insane. Nvidia has gotten lazy due to its market dominance and isnt optimizing properly. Something we've seen a lot of in the past.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.2.2, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.2.2. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2021, 11:49 AM   #8
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
Done!
Thanks!

yoz
Old Mar 11, 2021, 05:15 PM   #9
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post
Nvidia has gotten lazy due to its market dominance and isnt optimizing properly. Something we've seen a lot of in the past.
It's more like, AMD has always had less overhead in Vulkan/DX12, while the opposite is true in DX11.

In any case it doesn't matter much as AMD GPU's are not a real consideration for me. Poor RT performance, poor VR performance, lack of features etc etc. My only option is to get faster CPU's..

Last edited by acroig : Mar 12, 2021 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Bill comment edited out
demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2021, 06:22 PM   #10
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I dunno, looks to me like AMD has better optimized drivers, which implies the nVidia has a good chunk of potential performance wasted due to driver overhead, possibly limiting performance with more powerful CPUs as well (even though high core counts mitigate the impact, that driver processing will still need to occur and will lower performance). My last ATI card was an 800XL, so it's not as if I'm a fanboy of either company....

So, rather than acting as an apologist for nVidia, why not put pressure on them to better optimize their drivers?
Old Mar 11, 2021, 06:47 PM   #11
pax
Rage3D Spammer

pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'pax once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
You're worse than bill. It's more like, AMD has always had less overhead in Vulkan/DX12, while the opposite is true in DX11.

In any case it doesn't matter much as AMD GPU's are not a real consideration for me. Poor RT performance, poor VR performance, lack of features etc etc. My only option is to get faster CPU's..
Obviously those who spend an inordinate amount on upgrades on a regular basis dont need to worry. This is meant for people who care that their upgrades last. When 6 core 12 threads is now considered low end due this massive driver overhead its hardly reassuring. Eating 20-30% of the fps perf on that kind of cpu is disarming.

Ive been critical of amd as well. They fabbed almost literally half the number of gpus in Q4 2020 than they did in Q4 2019. All the while telling us they had ample supply.

Piledriver Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. XFX RX 480 GTR Cats 21.2.2, SoundBlaster ZXR, 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb Firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. Sharp 60" 4k 60 hz tv. Win 10 home.

Ryzen Rig 2017: Gigabyte X370 K7 F50d bios. Ryzen 1700x. 2 x 8 ddr4 3600 (@3200) Gskill. Sapphire Vega 64 Reference Cooler Cats 21.2.2. Soundblaster X Ae5, 32" Dell S3220DGF 1440p Freesync Premium Pro monitor, Kingston A2000 1TB NVME. 4 TB HGST NAS HD. Win 10 pro.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Mar 11, 2021, 07:12 PM   #12
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Ive been critical of amd as well.
Whatever pax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
So, rather than acting as an apologist for nVidia, why not put pressure on them to better optimize their drivers?
No apologies for Nvidia. In DX11 it's the opposite way around, but I don't call AMD lazy because of it. Instead of just throwing insults like 'lazy', how about trying to provide some insight? It's because of architectural differences and their approaches to scheduling. Nvidia have actually done far more work when it comes to scheduling which is why their DX11 implementation is far superior - they don't rely on developers or API to do it for them. They do it via their drivers on CPU.

In a nut shell:

Quote:
They moved away from handling the scheduling on hardware because not enough developers were multithreading the calls and thus it was bottlenecking.

Both AMD and Nvidia support deferred contexts, but Nvidia also supports driver command lists. So when DX11 games are single thread heavy, Nvidia's driver will spread out and make it thread friendly. When Developers take the time to make it thread friendly to begin with, both work AMD and Nvidia work well and neither end up CPU bound.

So yes, Nvidia is more reliant on the CPU than AMD since they handle it through drivers, but they aren't limited to a single CPU if the game isn't optimized well.

So, poor CPU utilization = Nvidia faster (driver moves to other cores), good CPU utilization = AMD has lower overhead because the GPU handles it.

This is nothing new and not limited to Ampere. Almost double the draw calls for Nv in DX11, while about 30% more for AMD in DX12.

Last edited by acroig : Mar 12, 2021 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Removed bit about Bill
demo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2021, 07:25 PM   #13
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I personally like investigations and would like to see this improve, especially for gamers that demand more raw frames for higher refresh monitors that don't have a higher end CPU.

Awareness for limitations or cons are always welcomed, so companies may improve.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 07:33 PM   #14
mizzer
Believing is Seeing

mizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymizzer can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Subscriber

I mean, didn’t we all know this? Nvidia driver downloads are closing in on 700MBs. Sheesh.
mizzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2021, 07:43 PM   #15
demo
space cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
I personally like investigations and would like to see this improve, especially for gamers that demand more raw frames for higher refresh monitors that don't have a higher end CPU.

Awareness for limitations or cons are always welcomed, so companies may improve.

Certainly, there's always room for improvement.

In comparison to DX11, DX12/Vulkan draw call rates are through the roof, so it was probably seen as a non issue, instead focusing on improving DX11 scheduling via drivers on CPU.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 07:48 PM   #16
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Another, perhaps related, issue, is that nVidia is behind AMD in terms of DPC latency. People who use their PCs for digital audio recording require very low DPC latency for uninterrupted realtime audio processing. So, this has led many in the DAW world to use AMD cards, or just on-board Intel graphics, as nVidia cards/drivers cause more pops and crackles due to increased overhead.

Bit more of a digression, but I've always taken issue with the "just throw more CPU/RAM/etc..." at the problem type of solution rather than the "let's actually optimize the drivers" approach. In that spirit, I appreciate the things that creative programmers have been able to accomplish with older hardware, creatively fleshing out more performance than the original hardware designers had ever imagined possible. That's why something like the ray-tracing SNES interests me.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 08:05 PM   #17
demo
space cadet

Quote:
but I've always taken issue with the "just throw more CPU/RAM/etc..." at the problem type of solution rather than the "let's actually optimize the drivers" approach. In that spirit, I appreciate the things that creative programmers have been able to accomplish
Then you appreciate Nvidias efforts to take it upon themselves to handle scheduling on the CPU via drivers, instead of relying on API, developers, or faster hardware. There are thousands of DX11 games where the real problem with draw calls lies, compared to barely 100 DX12 games where draw call rates are already 10x higher by virtue of API and not a real world issue.

HUB are 100% correct. But keep in mind they only tested 2 games in DX12 where it's not really an issue. They had to run DX12 at 1080p medium to expose Nv's driver overhead, or should I say AMD's lack of it because they don't actually do anything.
Old Mar 11, 2021, 08:59 PM   #18
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Old Mar 12, 2021, 12:13 AM   #19
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Don’t think it is too relevant at all. I ran a 3080 paired with 8086K and didn’t have any issues. I also ran a 3070 paired with 10700 vanilla and had no issues. Not sure who that article is for. Seems like someone had time to waste and they wasted it.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2021, 12:51 AM   #20
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I dunno, looks to me like AMD has better optimized drivers, which implies the nVidia has a good chunk of potential performance wasted due to driver overhead, possibly limiting performance with more powerful CPUs as well (even though high core counts mitigate the impact, that driver processing will still need to occur and will lower performance). My last ATI card was an 800XL, so it's not as if I'm a fanboy of either company....

Also the hardware scheduler vs the software one in Nvidia might be coming into play. It might not matter at higher resolutions now but if people stick to their newish 6 cores and face new games in the near future it could hobble perf on higher resolution with current gpus as well.

Heck perf on CP2077 is still odd on top end gpus. Be nice if proper drivers or the addition of hardware scheduling gave up 20-30% more fps.

And to think many said 4 cores were plenty not too long ago.

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Mar 12, 2021, 01:00 AM   #21
demo
space cadet

You didn't understand a word I said, did you pax? I even gave you graphs.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 04:20 AM   #22
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Don’t think it is too relevant at all. I ran a 3080 paired with 8086K and didn’t have any issues. I also ran a 3070 paired with 10700 vanilla and had no issues. Not sure who that article is for. Seems like someone had time to waste and they wasted it.
I am in this case.If i have to upgrade my gpu and keep ryzen 1700 i would get a 5700 or a 6800 instead of 3070.
5700 will have better performance than 3070 or even 3090.

Last edited by badsykes : Mar 12, 2021 at 04:29 AM.
badsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2021, 07:08 AM   #23
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
You didn't understand a word I said, did you pax? I even gave you graphs.
Demo, keep comparisons to other members out of your arguments please.

Carry on.

yoz
Old Mar 12, 2021, 09:48 AM   #24
bobvodka
Sleeping.

bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
I dunno, looks to me like AMD has better optimized drivers, which implies the nVidia has a good chunk of potential performance wasted due to driver overhead
That's not really the case.

The reason why NV has always had better DX9/11/OpenGL performance than AMD is because their drivers do a lot more behind the scenes to optimise their GPU performance.

So the draw call the app does ends up being sent to effectively a 'server' process which will be doing things like on-demand shader recompiling, caching, draw call rewriting and reordering (per game/engine), and correcting mistakes/issues that can happen.

AMD does a lot less of this aggressive optimisation which is why their performance on DX9/11/OpenGL has been traditionally lower, or doesn't increase like NVs would so often do.

This is also the reason why DX12/Vulkan saw AMD suddenly jump up performance wise, the driver basically got 'out of the way' and NV lost their 'server' advantage as those APIs are very much "do what I say" where as previous APIs are a bit more "do what I mean" - and NV has also been far more forgiving in that regard; my rule of thumb tends to be if it works on NV and not on AMD I've done something wrong, if it works on AMD and not on NV then NV have an optimisation which has done something wrong.

That's not to say that the drivers don't make a difference, however how much of a difference they can make and when they can do it is now heavily constrained.

Anyway, the point of all that is that this isn't "poorly optimised", it's just doing a lot of useful work which, yes, on lower performance CPUs might cause an issue.
bobvodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2021, 09:50 AM   #25
GTwannabe
Radeon Northern Islands

GTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete strangerGTwannabe once held a door open for a complete stranger

The latest NV driver package is ~630MB. No bloat there.
GTwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2021, 10:05 AM   #26
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Anyway, the point of all that is that this isn't "poorly optimised", it's just doing a lot of useful work which, yes, on lower performance CPUs might cause an issue.
Could more of that work be done on the gpu vs the cpu in the case of nvidia or are their architecture not suited for that?

www.realitysandwich.com

Old Mar 12, 2021, 10:06 AM   #27
bobvodka
Sleeping.

bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'bobvodka once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTwannabe View Post
The latest NV driver package is ~630MB. No bloat there.
Large size != high CPU usage.

I could write a tiny program which burnt CPU time for no reason at all if I felt the need.

The large package is likely due to all the various driver profiles, which is likely to include both code and custom shaders and other support things for games.

The thing that matters is the code which executes on the critical path while it is doing work.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 10:12 AM   #28
bobvodka
Sleeping.

Quote:
Could more of that work be done on the gpu vs the cpu in the case of nvidia or are their architecture not suited for that?
Not really, because it's all setup work that is being carried out before the commands are written to the command queue that the front end consumes.

An example would be if a game was to issue say four draw calls; it might issue them in the order 1,2,3,4 but via profiling NV might know that for their hardware (and maybe even just a particular generation of GPU) doing 4,3,1,2 yields better results, so they have to cache everything for the first 3 draw calls before doing them in that order - that's something you'll do CPU side as it's more efficient to do it there vs trying to jam more logic and resources into the GPU.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 03:18 PM   #29
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

I wonder if on an 8 core processor like a 2700X or 1800X if this would be less of an issue since you'd have the two more cores to spread the load out to? Maybe all the talk about games not utilizing more than 6 cores wouldn't really turn out to be true once you take into account driver overhead on a slower system? If so, the 2700X might turn out to have been a better buy than the 2600X.

I guess I should look and see if HU has already run the 8 core Ryzen tests, since that should answer my question.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2021, 09:14 PM   #30
pax
Rage3D Spammer

Im wondering with graphical and ai complexity in games going forward if the driver overhead will grow faster than cpu ipc.

www.realitysandwich.com