Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Mar 15, 2021, 10:42 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Well it's like Acroig said, if you want ray tracing at 1080p and especially Cyberpunk there really is only one consideration, something from Nvidia. But even if it wasn't ray tracing you're looking at, you have to find a card that balances with your system, and what settings you want to play games at. If I was really in your shoes a video card would be the last thing to look at, first would be the monitor (1440p minimum, pretty cheap these days even with freesync), the CPU, and then the video card 3rd. Even just going to 1440p you can invest in a video card that will benefit it much more on the same processor than if you remained at 1080p.

The falling in Cyberpunk from 1080p ultra to 1440p ultra 86fps to 62 fps in minimum framerate is substantial really.I keep a card for a number of years and that means it will be overwhelmed faster in newer RTX games.And i am talking about RTX3090.Also i postponed the CPU upgrade because i am not upgrading at all anytime soon.I decided to play old games or newer games like Doom eternal that are easy on the current rig.When i will upgrade i will have different options and prices than now in the CPU market.Another matter is you don't when the GPU prices will come back to decent levels.Investing now in a CPU that i cannot use fully is a waste of money.I am still upgrading collateral components like monitor.The monitor market is not having such drama like GPU market right now.There are also stock available for my favourite models.
Also you forget about VSR.Is easier to go up in resolution than to go down.I didn't see blurring and stuff going up in resolution.Once you go 1440p native panel you cannot go 1080p if necesary.It will look crap.This is not acceptable for me.If you have guaranteed deep pocket and afford expensive gpu upgrades at every 2 year at least go ahead buy a native 1440p.In Cyberpunk the 1080p Ultra is equivalent with 1440p medium in performance.

Last edited by badsykes : Mar 15, 2021 at 11:43 PM.
badsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2021, 07:47 AM   #92
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

There will probably not be another game as RT-heavy as cyperpunk this gen, the consoles can't handle it.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2021, 08:11 AM   #93
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
There will probably not be another game as RT-heavy as cyperpunk this gen, the consoles can't handle it.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 16, 2021, 08:48 AM   #94
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
Ha ... didn't think of this ...
Old Mar 16, 2021, 09:06 AM   #95
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

Watch Dogs Legion only had ray traced reflections and they had to water that down significantly for consoles as well. These consoles just came out too.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2021, 01:35 PM   #96
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Default Get Rid Of Nvidia Bloat...

Extract the Nvidia driver pack using whatever too, or just run the exe and then cancel the installation, the install file will be under the C:

Delete the highlighted folders:

You don't need Nvidia Audio or Physx unless you run HDMI to an audio source like an AV receiver, TV or Soundbar. And Physx... well....

Next open the Setup.CFG filed located in Nvidia Folder and scroll to the bottom

Delete the highlighted section.

Your folder should now resemble something like this:

YAY!!!! No more junk, run the setup.exe

Don't be a fool, stay in skewl.
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 3080Ti Sixtuple SLI KAC Edition, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2021, 02:31 PM   #97
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

A solid read and a bit more investigating:

https://www.igorslab.de/en/driver-ov...r-own-drivers/
Old Mar 16, 2021, 04:43 PM   #98
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
The falling in Cyberpunk from 1080p ultra to 1440p ultra 86fps to 62 fps in minimum framerate is substantial really.I keep a card for a number of years and that means it will be overwhelmed faster in newer RTX games.And i am talking about RTX3090.Also i postponed the CPU upgrade because i am not upgrading at all anytime soon.I decided to play old games or newer games like Doom eternal that are easy on the current rig.When i will upgrade i will have different options and prices than now in the CPU market.Another matter is you don't when the GPU prices will come back to decent levels.Investing now in a CPU that i cannot use fully is a waste of money.I am still upgrading collateral components like monitor.The monitor market is not having such drama like GPU market right now.There are also stock available for my favourite models.
Also you forget about VSR.Is easier to go up in resolution than to go down.I didn't see blurring and stuff going up in resolution.Once you go 1440p native panel you cannot go 1080p if necesary.It will look crap.This is not acceptable for me.If you have guaranteed deep pocket and afford expensive gpu upgrades at every 2 year at least go ahead buy a native 1440p.In Cyberpunk the 1080p Ultra is equivalent with 1440p medium in performance.
badsykes if you're not in lock down you need to get out more as you're contemplating your navel too much. Firstly the monitor issue of 1.09bn vs 16.7m colours which most people won't see and now driver overheads limiting slower CPU's. You're drilling down into the minutiae too much and missing the big picture (pun intended) that a lot of people prefer gaming at higher resolutions.

Personally I'd prefer 62fps at 1440 than 86fps at 1080. I left 1080 behind a long time ago as a lot of people have done. I don't understand your comment about buying a 1440p native monitor and wanting to play at 1080? Why buy the monitor in the first place it's crazy.

The RTX 3090 won't be overwhelmed anytime soon as Mangler pointed out the consoles can't handle heavy RT and as most games are console ports a 3090 will be fine for a few years to come. In fact at 1440p the 3090 wasn't really being taxed as some benchmarks I ran were showing 50% GPU utilisation. Now I'm gaming at 3440x1440 the GPU utilisation is in the 90's so much better.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2021, 04:58 PM   #99
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
A solid read and a bit more investigating:

https://www.igorslab.de/en/driver-ov...r-own-drivers/

Excellent read
Old Mar 17, 2021, 12:13 AM   #100
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
badsykes if you're not in lock down you need to get out more as you're contemplating your navel too much. Firstly the monitor issue of 1.09bn vs 16.7m colours which most people won't see and now driver overheads limiting slower CPU's. You're drilling down into the minutiae too much and missing the big picture (pun intended) that a lot of people prefer gaming at higher resolutions.

Personally I'd prefer 62fps at 1440 than 86fps at 1080. I left 1080 behind a long time ago as a lot of people have done. I don't understand your comment about buying a 1440p native monitor and wanting to play at 1080? Why buy the monitor in the first place it's crazy.

The RTX 3090 won't be overwhelmed anytime soon as Mangler pointed out the consoles can't handle heavy RT and as most games are console ports a 3090 will be fine for a few years to come. In fact at 1440p the 3090 wasn't really being taxed as some benchmarks I ran were showing 50% GPU utilisation. Now I'm gaming at 3440x1440 the GPU utilisation is in the 90's so much better.
I wanted to move away from 16.7 8bit panel that are being phased out ... Plain and simple.Also 1.07b is not worthless.It helps with gradients and fine stuff.Regarding monitors gaming community was so brainwashed to accept any missery and all sorts of compromises. (I am pointing to Lurk situation)

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pict...ality/gradient --- For me personally is noticeble.

A 3090 with 62 fps mins will last much fewer years at 1440p Ultra.Not even 4k.This is a 2000$ card!!! It will be quickly overwhelmed.I would not give the 3090 more than 2 years until it can't sustain minimum of 60fps in fully RTX games.Also the deeply need of DLSS smells very bad.I have a feeling that deactivating DLSS on 1440p ultra you may not like it.If you have deep pockets to pay 2000$ every 2 years to keep 60fps minum in RTX games at 1440p be my guest.

Mangler has a valid perspective but I still don't think fully that we will be "stuck" the next years.We will see.

Last edited by badsykes : Mar 17, 2021 at 02:19 AM.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 04:46 PM   #101
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
I wanted to move away from 16.7 8bit panel that are being phased out ... Plain and simple.Also 1.07b is not worthless.It helps with gradients and fine stuff.Regarding monitors gaming community was so brainwashed to accept any missery and all sorts of compromises. (I am pointing to Lurk situation)

https://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/pict...ality/gradient --- For me personally is noticeble.

A 3090 with 62 fps mins will last much fewer years at 1440p Ultra.Not even 4k.This is a 2000$ card!!! It will be quickly overwhelmed.I would not give the 3090 more than 2 years until it can't sustain minimum of 60fps in fully RTX games.Also the deeply need of DLSS smells very bad.I have a feeling that deactivating DLSS on 1440p ultra you may not like it.If you have deep pockets to pay 2000$ every 2 years to keep 60fps minum in RTX games at 1440p be my guest.

Mangler has a valid perspective but I still don't think fully that we will be "stuck" the next years.We will see.
badsykes you're taking my comments out of context. When I mentioned 62fps at 1440p I wasn't talking about the 3090. It was a graphic card agnostic statement relating purely to the frames per second and the monitor's native resolution. In BF5 with everything on Ultra settings and Ultra RT at 1440p,no DLSS, I was getting >100fps. Now I've got another 1.2m pixels to push it's probably about 90.

The few other games I have that have RT are more than playable at acceptable frame rates at my native resolution of 3440x1440 without DLSS so I'm not sure what you're talking about. The lowest I've seen is in SOTTR where I averaged 75fps with Ultra settings and native Ultra RT. And that's a poorly optimised RT game. I think you're reading too many click bait articles and youtube videos where they're talking out of their ars**.

Ray tracing is no where near ready for the mainstream yet, why do you think Nvidia has DLSS and AMD are looking to launch their own version? IMHO you're looking at maybe 4 to 5 years until you get 4K >100fps with no DLSS. That's probably a conservative estimate.

To quote Cyberpunk as an example of RT is a bit of a joke really. They released a half baked game that was so buggy it was embarrassing. Even the people who worked on it are trying to distance themselves from the mess. It's a bit like quoting the Titanic as a good example for a cruise ship

There are a lot of people like me who aren't really interested in RT in the games we play and I, for one, didn't buy the 3090 because of its RT performance. I bought it because I think I can play games on it for at least 3 to 4 years at Ultra settings (no RT) no problem. Well the first person shooters and sports sims I play anyway just totally disinterested in role playing crap, no offence.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
Old Mar 18, 2021, 02:09 AM   #102
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
badsykes you're taking my comments out of context. When I mentioned 62fps at 1440p I wasn't talking about the 3090. It was a graphic card agnostic statement relating purely to the frames per second and the monitor's native resolution. In BF5 with everything on Ultra settings and Ultra RT at 1440p,no DLSS, I was getting >100fps. Now I've got another 1.2m pixels to push it's probably about 90.

The few other games I have that have RT are more than playable at acceptable frame rates at my native resolution of 3440x1440 without DLSS so I'm not sure what you're talking about. The lowest I've seen is in SOTTR where I averaged 75fps with Ultra settings and native Ultra RT. And that's a poorly optimised RT game. I think you're reading too many click bait articles and youtube videos where they're talking out of their ars**.

Ray tracing is no where near ready for the mainstream yet, why do you think Nvidia has DLSS and AMD are looking to launch their own version? IMHO you're looking at maybe 4 to 5 years until you get 4K >100fps with no DLSS. That's probably a conservative estimate.

To quote Cyberpunk as an example of RT is a bit of a joke really. They released a half baked game that was so buggy it was embarrassing. Even the people who worked on it are trying to distance themselves from the mess. It's a bit like quoting the Titanic as a good example for a cruise ship

There are a lot of people like me who aren't really interested in RT in the games we play and I, for one, didn't buy the 3090 because of its RT performance. I bought it because I think I can play games on it for at least 3 to 4 years at Ultra settings (no RT) no problem. Well the first person shooters and sports sims I play anyway just totally disinterested in role playing crap, no offence.
I do plan to play RTX full implementation and have the experience so this is why i kinda take Cyberpunk as a baseline for 1440p ultra in consideration.In 1080p ultra i can escape with a 2080ti/3070 but in 1440p ultra a 3090 is needed.
From your history of buying amd in the last years you jumped from vega64 to 5700xt to 3090. Your cards didn't last too much.You bought in 400-500$ segment and you jumped to 2000$ segment..It doesn't feel you have been very pleased with the performance otherwise you would have stayed with that semgnet.I don't think all the youtube reviewers big or small lie.They wouldn't last if they lied.

Last edited by badsykes : Mar 18, 2021 at 03:55 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2021, 07:46 PM   #103
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/...76102754160640

Quote:
GameGPU.com has confirmed our GeForce overhead results by showing Vega 64 beating the RTX 3090 by over 20% with a Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3 GHz. They tested 5 games here
https://gamegpu.com/%D0%B1%D0%BB%D0%...-radeon-v-dx12

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2021, 05:01 AM   #104
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Well ... at least i know that going to 1280x720 my vega56 have better performance than RTX3090..This is where the CRT would be an awesome investment.Going down in resolution to 720p leads to better performance more than rtx3090.I don't need to buy a new gpu actually...I have a gpu that is better than the most expensive gpu

Last edited by badsykes : Mar 19, 2021 at 05:24 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 06:25 AM   #105
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Enjoy low resolution I guess? That's kind of an absurd statement.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2021, 06:55 AM   #106
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
We are leaving in "absurd" times.
I buy graphic monitors for playing doom eternal in black and white...
KAC bought AMD ...
GPU's have "absurd" prices.I can sell my vega56 for the same price i bought it.

Should i add more "absurd" stuff ?

Later Edit: I moved the 6700xt vs 5700xt in the 6700xt thread.

Last edited by badsykes : Mar 19, 2021 at 09:07 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 08:41 AM   #107
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Well ... at least i know that going to 1280x720 my vega56 have better performance than RTX3090..This is where the CRT would be an awesome investment.Going down in resolution to 720p leads to better performance more than rtx3090.I don't need to buy a new gpu actually...I have a gpu that is better than the most expensive gpu
Yes.... ok.... if you can play at 720 then. I'm sure you can find a great CRT that you can play at that res in B&W.

yoz

Last edited by acroig : Mar 20, 2021 at 09:48 PM.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 08:58 AM   #108
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Silly question, because I'm not one of the knowlegeable guys here...but at 720p wouldn't the CPU, not the GPU be doing most of the heavy lifting?

Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2021, 09:03 AM   #109
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
Silly question, because I'm not one of the knowlegeable guys here...but at 720p wouldn't the CPU, not the GPU be doing most of the heavy lifting?

Yeah at that res the bottleneck goes to the CPU as GPU is waiting for triangles to be received from CPU.

The thing is, one can always go down in resolution but the IQ would certainly suffer. Aliasing and texture filtering would become huge issues for me. Not to mention that most CRT's are locked at 60Hz (not all).

To each his own.

yoz
Old Mar 19, 2021, 09:05 AM   #110
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Yeah at that res the bottleneck goes to the CPU as GPU is waiting for triangles to be received from CPU.

The thing is, one can always go down in resolution but the IQ would certainly suffer. Aliasing and texture filtering would become huge issues for me. Not to mention that most CRT's are locked at 60Hz (not all).

To each his own.
Thanks man, maybe badsykes should just upgrade his CPU
Old Mar 19, 2021, 09:08 AM   #111
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Thanks man, maybe badsykes should just upgrade his CPU
... to play 720p
Old Mar 19, 2021, 10:32 AM   #112
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
... to play 720p
/anything_for_framerates
Old Mar 19, 2021, 10:45 AM   #113
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
/anything_for_framerates
Friends don't let friends play at 720p.

yoz
Old Mar 19, 2021, 11:15 AM   #114
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Old Mar 20, 2021, 05:54 PM   #115
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Quote:
I do plan to play RTX full implementation and have the experience so this is why i kinda take Cyberpunk as a baseline for 1440p ultra in consideration.In 1080p ultra i can escape with a 2080ti/3070 but in 1440p ultra a 3090 is needed.

From your history of buying amd in the last years you jumped from vega64 to 5700xt to 3090. Your cards didn't last too much.You bought in 400-500$ segment and you jumped to 2000$ segment..It doesn't feel you have been very pleased with the performance otherwise you would have stayed with that segment. I don't think all the youtube reviewers big or small lie.They wouldn't last if they lied.
When I owned my AMD Fury X I bought my first freesync monitor which only AMD supported at the time so I became "locked" in the AMD Eco-system. So that's why I bought Vega 64 and then 5700XT as I liked using freesync for no tearing or stuttering. I even briefly bought the Radeon VII for Ł700 but cancelled my order when I read the reviews because of the noisy fans. For 1440p 144hz, Fury, Vega64 and 5700XT were very good and I had no issues with any of them in playing games.

For this generation my initial thoughts were to buy a 6800XT or a 3080 whichever I was able to get. Obviously that didn't work out well so I broadened my horizons and budget and moved on to a 6900XT or 3090. The 6900XT was basically vapour ware but I was able to purchase a 3090 so I did. Quite simple really. I didn't need to upgrade my 5700XT but I WANTED to which is totally different.

Personally I wouldn't play Cyberpunk if it was free I just don't like that genre of games. I've just purchased Metro Exodus for Ł9.00 because they're bringing out a whole new PC enhanced ray tracing version (which is free if you own the game) so I might be able to see what all the fuss is about with that game.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 06:06 PM   #116
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Just to give you an idea of what a 3090 can really do I fired up Forza 4 Horizon demo and cranked everything up to Ultra (including AF) and 4x MSAA. I unlocked the frame rates and in the demo I averaged 157fps at 3440x1440. I then did some racing and fps never dropped below 145 and in some places were 211 so I probably averaged >175fps.

TBH the graphics in the game look very good and at those frame rates it's buttery smooth. Basically If I limit the fps to 144 to match my monitor the frame counter won't move. All that and the GPU utilisation was only in the high 80's so the card still has more to give. This is with everything in my system at stock. As I've said in other posts gaming is fun again.

Last edited by acroig : Mar 20, 2021 at 07:06 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2021, 07:11 PM   #117
acroig
Troll SMod

LordHawkwind, I have edited your post to remove your unnecessary commentary. I know badsykes plays at a much lower resolution due to his hardware limitations and there's no need to ridicule him for it.

Let's keep it less antagonistic from here on please.

yoz
Old Mar 21, 2021, 01:33 AM   #118
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

LordHawkwind: ..The RTX full implementation was the most exciting thing to me and worth spending 600$.I waited for RTX from GTX480 era.Cyberpunk just made this true.This is why i am baselining on it .The industry is not there yet.
I can consider Cyberpunk a technological demo.

Last edited by badsykes : Mar 21, 2021 at 01:40 AM.
Old Mar 26, 2021, 05:12 AM   #119
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Old Mar 26, 2021, 12:12 PM   #120
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote