Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old May 5, 2021, 04:56 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default NVIDIA & AMD Won't Like This: GPU Price Creep, Greed, and Generational Stagnation

Old May 5, 2021, 08:38 AM   #2
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Yep. They're crying all the way to the bank.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2021, 08:45 AM   #3
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I do remember years ago getting absolutely massive performance increases with each GPU upgrade, and that's even when only spending $200-$300 for a mid range card. Nowadays you need to buy the flagship GPU to see such performance improvements.

Its not surprising though, to see a business trying to squeeze more $ out of its consumers for less value. Is what it is.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 5, 2021, 09:11 AM   #4
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

All the more reason why I'm sticking with my 2080ti for now. Granted, I don't play in 4K, I play in 1440p. But even if I did, the 2080ti is still a beast of a card with most games at ultra settings.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2021, 09:46 AM   #5
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I don't know why people would expect performance to increase at the same rate every year. Diminishing returns and increasing difficulty of shrinking nodes, plus increased costs in R&D.. what do you expect? There's a reason feature-set is being pushed so much now; another way to stand-out from the competitors besides raw raster performance.

The infancy of a technology will see massive gains in the beginning, and as it matures and the difficulty to improve on the process increases, the results will slow down. Prices have increased because inflation and demand has gone up.

$300 in the year 2000 is equivalent to roughly $460. With the rumored massive rate of inflation coming to the U.S. Dollar in the next two years, I could easily see that coming near $600. Prices can't stay the same forever.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2021, 09:55 AM   #6
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I don't expect performance increase at the same exact rate year over year, but the increases have really fallen off a lot as evidenced in the research Gamers Nexus did and shown in the video.

I think its true that you get diminishing returns after a while trying to get more and more performance out of the same tech. But I also think there's a fair bit of complacency and greed that's involved too, especially when there's a lack of competition for a good period of time.

But as I said, its to be expected. Why would a business care more about giving the consumer the best value all the time than making more money?
Old May 5, 2021, 10:54 AM   #7
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

3080 really was a great improvement. I also pretend that the 20 series never happened.

I don’t know wtf the gays on the video are on about.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2021, 11:41 AM   #8
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
I don’t know wtf the gays on the video are on about.
They are claiming performance per dollar of recent GPUs has been far off from what it used to be.
Old May 5, 2021, 11:50 AM   #9
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Optical Drive

There was solid price performance with the x60 sku's with the Gtx 1660 and the Gtx 1660 Super offerings.
Old May 5, 2021, 12:14 PM   #10
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
3080 really was a great improvement. I also pretend that the 20 series never happened.
2080 Ti was a solid card and was king of the hill for two full years.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2021, 07:03 PM   #11
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
They are claiming performance per dollar of recent GPUs has been far off from what it used to be.
Yes I normally dose off after 5 minutes of watching him.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2021, 12:12 PM   #12
jimjobob
Radeon Volcanic Islands

jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
More that the price is going up from generation to generation but the performance increase generationally has gone down. Even though it really only went down for the 2060 to 3060 but so did the price. They are also ignoring added features and material/manufacturing cost increases as well.
They also point out the lack of sub 200 cards but it sounds like previous gen price decreases may serve that market.
jimjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2021, 04:53 PM   #13
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
2080 Ti was a solid card and was king of the hill for two full years.
Given all the supply issues at the moment maybe the 3090 might do the same? Don't think the 3080Ti will make a difference but who knows. By the way I can't remember which card I own, Alzheimer’s has kicked in or so I'm advised
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2021, 05:07 PM   #14
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
Given all the supply issues at the moment maybe the 3090 might do the same? Don't think the 3080Ti will make a difference but who knows. By the way I can't remember which card I own, Alzheimer’s has kicked in or so I'm advised
Given all the supply issues to this point none of the 3000's count there were tons of 2000's and everyone that wanted one could buy them even last year when they starting selling like hotcakes

they are now reissuing all 3000 cards but the 3090 with a miner block after the 3080 ti i hope it works and they have been stocking piling the new chips for awhile
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote