Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Aug 17, 2003, 11:29 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

P1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird sings

Default Mafia...Wow!

Hello,
Firstly I want to THANK everyone who recommended me this game in the thread I started a few weeks ago. I knew it was going to be good, but I kept telling myself that there are other games worth checking out first. Until last Wednesday that is. I got the game for $40 CAN and brought it home hoping that it won't become another coaster on my shelf.
All I had to do was play first mission. I loved it from the very beginning, but the more I played it the more I enjoyed this gem. I finished Mafia in two days of non-stop playing. I even called in sick at work on Friday. I finally beat it yesterday and what a great game it is..! Without any doubt I found it to be the best single player game I ever had a chance to experience. Story was gorgeous, ending brilliant, gameplay 100% addicting.
I actually feel sorry that it's all over now, and I was sitting in front of my monitor last night watching credits scroll by. I thought: "Man, this is truly the very first time when I feel like I just watched a movie, and a great one."

So, thank you all again for your suggestion. I'm ashamed that I waited so long to play this title.

EVERYONE, go play Mafia because you(just as me before) probably have no idea what you're missing out on..!
Old Aug 17, 2003, 11:38 AM   #2
RedHerring
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

RedHerring is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Mafia...Wow!

Quote:
Originally posted by AcidJazz
brought it home hoping that it won't become another coaster on my shelf.
Who puts their drinks on a shelf? Would'nt you have to get up just to take a sip? Talk about strange diets....

Anyway, I played the demo of Mafia, and I found it way too hard. The parking garage shootout didn't feel right. Sneaking around and shooting off bursts from your tommy is more like a semi-realistic FPS than a 3rd person aciton game.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 11:47 AM   #3
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

P1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird singsP1x44r knows why the caged bird sings

Default Re: Re: Mafia...Wow!

Quote:
Originally posted by RedHerring
Who puts their drinks on a shelf? Would'nt you have to get up just to take a sip? Talk about strange diets....

Anyway, I played the demo of Mafia, and I found it way too hard. The parking garage shootout didn't feel right. Sneaking around and shooting off bursts from your tommy is more like a semi-realistic FPS than a 3rd person aciton game.
My shelf is a part of my PC desk and is positioned in such a way that all I have to do is reach for a fresh drink..

I did not like the demo either(one of the reasons I did not pick up Mafia right away), but it does not give the full game any judgement.
You're there for the story..! Believe me, Mafia's story blows away every single game I know of. Think Max Payne with a deeper, better story, which alters your gameplay in every way.
And yes, it's pretty challenging sometimes. Some levels I had to re-do 30 times(like the last shootout mission where I did not think of buying some weapons first and started with 6 bullets in my Colt ). But this challenge only makes the game better. You do not want to be a super hero, do you..? Taking out each thug is a challenging task for the most part, but you do get a feel of achievement after. And that's great. You really feel like a gangster leaning around the corner with bullets whizzing around. Shoot, hide, reload, lean around your cover, shoot, hide, reload, etc. Very nice if you ask me. Even two-three oppoenents met at once provide a good challenge most of the time.

Give it another try..!

P.S. I found parking lot shootout to be one of the best parts in the game. For the reasons you already mentioned - semi-realism baby..!
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 17, 2003, 12:19 PM   #4
RedHerring
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

If I see it marked down, I'll think about getting it, even though I have to save for a lot of hardware and a few big games (HL2, Jedi Academy and Lo-Mac that are coming out soon)

However, I"m not a fan of challenging games.. at least in the way you describe it.

A fun, challenging experience was like in the subway level of Urban Operations which was fun and challenging.

NOT challenging like "I get through a 5 minute long car race only to miss a turn and lose the whole thing"

Are there any cheats?
Old Aug 17, 2003, 12:26 PM   #5
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Are there any cheats?
Sort of, they only work with the unpatched version. My suggestion is to patch the game, play up until you just can't seem to beat it anymore. Uninstall the game, reinstall it without patching and use cheats. (don't delete game saves of course)
I had a real problem with the camera in this game. Everytime I was in a firefight and got backed up against an object or wall, my camera changed from 3rd person to 1st person back and forth. I couldn't aim properly this way and died way too much. It got me very frusterated and made me not want to finish the game. That's why I cheated. The game is semi realistic as far as taking bullets goes. It's somewhat hard in that respect. Make sure you keep behind cover.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 12:36 PM   #6
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
If I see it marked down, I'll think about getting it, even though I have to save for a lot of hardware and a few big games (HL2, Jedi Academy and Lo-Mac that are coming out soon)

However, I"m not a fan of challenging games.. at least in the way you describe it.

A fun, challenging experience was like in the subway level of Urban Operations which was fun and challenging.

NOT challenging like "I get through a 5 minute long car race only to miss a turn and lose the whole thing"

Are there any cheats?
Racing track difficulty was brought down with 1.1 patch. I finished that level on my first try leaving the second opponent 10 seconds behind...
I found that there was more driving in this game than shooting. Still, driving around Lost Heaven is fun. The city looks/feels so dynamic with traffic, different areas(country side, downtown, etc). Of course it isn't perfect and you could see repetitions here and there, draw distance could be better as well, day/night cycle should've been implemented. But it's still fun, especially when you get good cars that do not go 10mph over a bridge.
Shootouts are absolutely gorgeous though. They're so chaotic for the most part. The garage one could be mentioned as an example. Nothing is sweeter than blowing up a car with you Tommy and watching it exploade takingf lives of 2-3 gansters near by. Or the harbour mission where you blow up some gas containers and watch an enemy catch on fire and run around screaming until he dies. But Mafia was never meant to be Max Payne where you could run into a room filled with enemies and come out barely hit. Here it all about planning things, leaning aruond a corner, taking out a thug and quickly changing location while re-loading. No such thing as using any weapon you like in this game. Of course you could, but different scenarious require different approach and therefore different weapon of choice. Close combat is performed the best with shotguns, because you take out enemy popping up right in front of you with only one shot. But do not try to use the same shotgun in open areas. Even a colt will do much better. make enemy waste whole round on you by teasing him from behind a cover, then catch him re-loading and quickly stuff 3-4 bullets in him. One problem less, isn't it..? Be agressive when you are in need of ammo. Go for head shots and not let opponent shoot at you much - you will need every bullet you could collect. Go around, circle and fall back. Run, crouch and come from behind. Take your time, aim and relocate. Use stealth, use rushes and use your brains. Whatever it takes to win this ultimate battle for survival.

Mafia could be had for less than $20 right now. I think at this price no one should miss out on the game.

P.S. If I was able to beat the game without cheats then I think anyone could. Just remember to hold down crouch button all the time. It's crucial.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 12:43 PM   #7
Shark
Pain

Shark is still being judged by the masses

the game is easy,I only spent like 2 days in the last mission...I didnt know how to get weapons to beat the asses inside the museum
Old Aug 17, 2003, 12:51 PM   #8
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally posted by Shark
I didnt know how to get weapons to beat the asses inside the museum
Me neither.
After 20 tries or so, I decided to go and read a walkthrough at GameFAQs. It said that you could load up with weapons before you go in the gallery. Yes, starting with a dinky Colt Detective Specail with only 6 bullets in it was tough.
But if you load a previous save and go to Yellow Pete's Shop in Hoboken, you could get every weapon you could possibly want. I just needed my beloved Colt 911 though. One headshot from a close distance and all of enemy's ammo is mine. Rinse and repeat.
When you pick up a Tommy gun later on it becomes a breeze. Oh, and taking out the last guy(won't tell who not to spoil the game) was never any more satisfying...It's quiet, but you know that he's somewhere around and his machinegun is always loaded...Move around carefully as he's probably aiming at you from behind...
Old Aug 17, 2003, 12:59 PM   #9
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundFuku2 can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Me neither.
After 20 tries or so, I decided to go and read a walkthrough at GameFAQs. It said that you could load up with weapons before you go in the gallery. Yes, starting with a dinky Colt Detective Specail with only 6 bullets in it was tough.
Actually, I made it half way through that mission that way. All the way up the stairs, took them out, and got to main buddy. That's where I was screwed. I just had to make every shot count and run to grab the dead guys guns for more ammo. It was very tough. If I had known I could grab weapons before I went into the gallery I might not have cheated. <I'm retarded!
Old Aug 17, 2003, 01:26 PM   #10
HL2ISOUT
Banned

HL2ISOUT is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Re: Re: Mafia...Wow!

Quote:
My shelf is a part of my PC desk and is positioned in such a way that all I have to do is reach for a fresh drink..

I did not like the demo either(one of the reasons I did not pick up Mafia right away), but it does not give the full game any judgement.
You're there for the story..! Believe me, Mafia's story blows away every single game I know of. Think Max Payne with a deeper, better story, which alters your gameplay in every way.
And yes, it's pretty challenging sometimes. Some levels I had to re-do 30 times(like the last shootout mission where I did not think of buying some weapons first and started with 6 bullets in my Colt ). But this challenge only makes the game better. You do not want to be a super hero, do you..? Taking out each thug is a challenging task for the most part, but you do get a feel of achievement after. And that's great. You really feel like a gangster leaning around the corner with bullets whizzing around. Shoot, hide, reload, lean around your cover, shoot, hide, reload, etc. Very nice if you ask me. Even two-three oppoenents met at once provide a good challenge most of the time.

Give it another try..!

P.S. I found parking lot shootout to be one of the best parts in the game. For the reasons you already mentioned - semi-realism baby..!
I prefer having a mini-fridge down the side of me
HL2ISOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 01:28 PM   #11
HL2ISOUT
Banned

HL2ISOUT is still being judged by the masses

Oh yeah - and Mafia - pretty good game. I have only played the demo though - it's only Ł15 - i'll probably go and grab it sometime.
HL2ISOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 01:29 PM   #12
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Mafia...Wow!

Quote:
Originally posted by HL2ISOUT
I prefer having a mini-fridge down the side of me
Lol, yes I like my alcohol warm and nasty..
Talk about a wrongly used adjective...
Old Aug 17, 2003, 02:27 PM   #13
Supercross
Desire Is Irrelevant

Supercross is still being judged by the masses

Yeah when I first played Mafia I was like WOW!!!...The game was simply astounding in how it made you feel like you were in the community and how you could feel the effects of event happening around you.
Supercross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 02:41 PM   #14
Aztlan
Radeon R420

Aztlan is still being judged by the masses

yeah, i just finished mafia, and this is the best game i played, its so real, after i played this game i havent touched gta vice city, i like the farm mission where there was a storm, i liked the effects during that mission, sound was incredible, graphics
too bad i cant choose weather in the freebie
Aztlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 02:46 PM   #15
Supercross
Desire Is Irrelevant

Supercross is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by Aztlan
yeah, i just finished mafia, and this is the best game i played, its so real, after i played this game i havent touched gta vice city, i like the farm mission where there was a storm, i liked the effects during that mission, sound was incredible, graphics
too bad i cant choose weather in the freebie
Yeah I loved that level too...The cut-scenes were also top notch...Has the GodFather feel to it almost.
Supercross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2003, 03:05 PM   #16
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

My favorite level was the garage shootout for the reasons I listed above. Also, Peppe's restaurant and last gallery missions.
Old Aug 17, 2003, 03:34 PM   #17
RedHerring
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh

Damn, now you're making me download the demo again
Old Aug 17, 2003, 03:51 PM   #18
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Damn, now you're making me download the demo again
* Puts down a checkmark in his notepad while mumbling to himself: "One more converted..." *

Old Aug 21, 2003, 04:28 PM   #19
Animotion
O_o

Animotion is still being judged by the masses

I recently brought this game and i am really enjoying the story to.

(SPOILER)

i am having some trouble i am at a mission where i have to sneak into a house or villa but sometimes the guards see me and once a maid saw me and i end up running out of ammo and getting killed anyone have any tips for that level i am getting annoyed restarted many times
Animotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2003, 04:52 PM   #20
Aztlan
Radeon R420

are you in the mission where you have to steal documents from the prosecutor? if so.
this is what i did,
hide behind the bushes with the other guy, and wait until the walking guard passes buy, he doesnt notice you. also hold the right mouse button so that you can get force when using the bat, once he passes you walk behind him and hit him,
then you know that another guard is in a little hous watching toward the road, walk around the bushes while being crouch and hit him from behind
now he is out cold like the previous guy,for the other guys is better to use the small weapons to shoot from afar
Old Aug 21, 2003, 05:09 PM   #21
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

SH64 is still being judged by the masses

when it comes to senario & storyline .. this game is a BIG WOW!
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2003, 05:42 PM   #22
skyguy
Radeon R600

skyguy is still being judged by the masses

If you like good storytelling and visuals, try Metal Gear Solid 2 for the pc.
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2003, 08:03 PM   #23
Sherv
Radeon R600

Sherv is still being judged by the masses

Wink

Mafia is one of THE BEST games ever!!!
Asus Maximus VI Hero
AMD Radeon Sapphire Tri-X Crossfire R290x
Samsung 840 evo 500GB & 250GB
Sherv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 06:39 AM   #24
P1x44r
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally posted by Anemotion

i am having some trouble i am at a mission where i have to sneak into a house or villa but sometimes the guards see me and once a maid saw me and i end up running out of ammo and getting killed anyone have any tips for that level i am getting annoyed restarted many times

Here's a good walkthrough.

http://db.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/file/mafia_a.txt

Search page for: (Ap11)
Old Aug 22, 2003, 07:42 AM   #25
Dryhte
Radeon R300

Dryhte is still being judged by the masses

Hmmm... I loved the game! (still do). I can't say I like Free Ride Extreme, though. I prefer Free Ride (shootouts with police and gangsters... hurray!)

One thing I didn't like in the game: lack of repercussions when you hit ordinary people with your car. Okay, if the police see you, you're screwed, but the other witnesses just run away instead of reporting you... and when you ignore the red light, you're fit for jail... c'mon

I must've killed or maimed a thousand innocent passengers with my car during this game... poor sods... Only been chased by the police once for it, though... Did they 'turn the blind eye'?

Last edited by Dryhte : Aug 22, 2003 at 07:46 AM.
Dryhte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 08:28 AM   #26
Defrag
Retired Jedi

Defrag is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: Mafia...Wow!

Quote:
....I finished Mafia in two days of non-stop playing. I even called in sick at work on Friday....
I must admint I've been so hooked on a game I called in sick once as well...was years ago when I was playing Might & Magic VI non-stop.

Hmm.... There should be something called "Calling in well". You know.. you call your boss, tell him you're feeling great and you'll be in day after tomorrow.

Regards
Defrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 05:23 PM   #27
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

SH64 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by skyguy
If you like good storytelling and visuals, try Metal Gear Solid 2 for the pc.
already did ! played it for both PS2 & PC
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2003, 09:33 PM   #28
muzz
Rage3D Veteran

muzz is still being judged by the masses

Great game thats for sure. I like the ramps in Fre Extreme myself........ only a couple of cars ( standard game cars) will make it over the river to the other side ( at least so far for me).
The ramp over the railroad is pretty cool too.
Old Aug 23, 2003, 12:13 PM   #29
Neotic
Radeon R600

Neotic is still being judged by the masses

You want real realism/immersion, try playing it w/ a wheel and using the over the hood view, just driving around Lost Heaven is a joy
Neotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2003, 03:42 PM   #30
Aztlan
Radeon R420

damn i need to get a steering wheel
by the way i am making these two cars, i had the escalade in mind but i found better images for the hummer h2, my brother is making the audi
we are making these for mafia, but it looks like the mafia mod community is not helpful at all, no wonder it didnt got popularity like gta, if i dont get help, it looks like they are going to be for vice city