Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Mar 19, 2007, 05:11 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Bladedog
Listen to the Blade

Bladedog is still being judged by the masses

Default UK: Which new Broadband provider?

Short version first:
I'd like a new broadband provider.

Only one of the LLU providers is in my exchange, so its basically down to the ADSLMax providers. Currently spend £24.99 on 2 meg unlimited. Want to spend less if possible, certainly no more, on a faster connection retaining unlimited download. If not unlimited I need at least 80Gb/month.

Any ideas?

Long version for those who like to read:
Currently got Freedom2Surf broadband, 2 meg, costing £24.99/month with unlimited downloads.

Its OK but I'm sure there must be better out there.

Freedom2Surf don't do unlimited packages anymore, so if I upgrade with them I move to an 8 meg, 50Gb/month for £23.99/month. Problem is in the last 12 months I went over 50Gb 7 times, as much as 87Gb one month, and they charge £0.99/Gb over the limit. You can add 50Gb for £6/month but thats a lot of extra money per month.

Also I live far enough from the exchange that I would at best get only 4.5 meg out of the link.

Be Unlimited have just completed LLU in my area, 24 meg download !!! but I have checked a few statistics and just about the stage 8 meg drops to 4.5, 24 meg drops to about 5 meg too, so I wouldn't get any faster than going with an 8 meg provider. Plus Be is an ADSL2+ connection meaning a new modem/router. They give you one for free but it only has 2 of the four ethernet ports that you can use, the others are reserved for future expansion and I have 3 ethernet devices. I could get a hub or a switch but now its getting messy.

So what I am looking for is a provider with 4 meg + download speed with unlimited or at least 80Gb+/month for max £25/month. Any ideas?
Bladedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2007, 05:29 PM   #2
MysticKiller
Nuff Respect Due

MysticKiller is still being judged by the masses

If you have cable in your area consider something from Virgin Media as part of a package.

If its ADSL (BT Phoneline) your after, go for something from UK Online. Or if you have Sky, get a package from them. I've heard they're offering 16MB uncapped at a good price.
Old Mar 19, 2007, 05:31 PM   #3
Samurai_crip
AMD FanBoi

Samurai_crip is still being judged by the masses

BT homehub package its good

im on 4meg i think

Samurai_crip is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 19, 2007, 05:34 PM   #4
kepler
Radeon Arctic Islands

kepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Stay away from Tiscali, horrible horrible provider.

I've been looking at Virgin cable but I'm wary of the OMGZ UNLIMITED JIGGAMEGGS*

*unlimited in as completely limited to an arbitrary amount we don't tell you of.

Last edited by kepler : Mar 19, 2007 at 05:40 PM.
kepler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2007, 05:52 PM   #5
Freelance
Radeon R300

Freelance is still being judged by the masses

if you want unlimited downloads, go cable. if you try to actually do it on dsl, most ISPs will limit/filter you to hell as they have to pay for bandwidth used from BT wholesale (which is why i guess you're looking at LLU)
There's no escaping, insect. You had to meddle, had to destroy my beautiful station. So be it. You'll forgive me if I don't stay to enjoy the final conflagration, but I have better things to do. As for you, you've made your bed. Now die in it.
Freelance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2007, 06:15 PM   #6
delirium121
Radeon Southern Islands

delirium121 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydelirium121 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

NTL/Virgin £25 gets you 4mb unlimited & the service aint bad to be honest (it is lot better than it used to be so dont go by people past stories (ntl used to be terrible), never had any caps imposed or phone calls
I dreamt you were a cat.

Last edited by delirium121 : Mar 19, 2007 at 06:20 PM.
delirium121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2007, 06:45 PM   #7
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Weird...

Over here... I pounded apparently... 300GB in a month... All I got was a tsk tsk. LoL

If I was on cable I'd get my ass throttled and a threatening letter after 40 or 50.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 04:32 AM   #8
Doozer
lollollollol

Doozer knows why the caged bird singsDoozer knows why the caged bird singsDoozer knows why the caged bird singsDoozer knows why the caged bird singsDoozer knows why the caged bird sings

I use Bulldog, got ADSL2+, get about 12Mb+, no limits at all, £35 inc phone line and free UK calls.

If you get provided with a new router, you can always hook one router to the other to give more ports.

Nikon D7100,
Nikkor 16-35mf f4
Sigma 120-400mm
Nikon 18-55mm kit lens,
Sigma 70-300 APO Macro,
Nikkor 50mm f1.8,
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro HSM,
Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 EX DG,
Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 HSM,
Sigma x2 TC
Remote shutter release ,
Raynox D250 closeup/macro attachment,
Kenko extension tubes,
reverse lens adaptor,
Nikon SB800 flash,
Vivitar 285HV Flash unit,
Tripod (x2),
Monopod

Rage3d flickr Group
Doozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 06:18 AM   #9
Bladedog
Listen to the Blade

Bladedog is still being judged by the masses

Unfortunately I live in a two-horse town, and we have almost no connections except BT and BTMax.

No cable.
No Sky.
No Bulldog.

Infact no LLU except Be.

I have looked at two different graphs now, and at 1.67 Km (straight line) from the exchange one suggests I would get full 8 meg ADSLMax and approx 20 out of 24 meg ADSL2+, whereas another one suggests I would get approx 5 meg ADSLMax and 10-12 meg ADSL2+. BT's own ADSL checker suggests I would get 4.5 meg on the line. All in all I am confused.

I am going to go back to my current provider and asking if they will drop or reduce the price of the additional 50Gb/month download, in order to retain me as a customer (well they did ask the question in the resulting e-mails).

Thanks for all the input.
Bladedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2007, 06:41 AM   #10
Doozer
lollollollol

Doozer knows why the caged bird singsDoozer knows why the caged bird singsDoozer knows why the caged bird singsDoozer knows why the caged bird singsDoozer knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladedog View Post

Unfortunately I live in a two-horse town, and we have almost no connections except BT and BTMax.

No cable.
No Sky.
No Bulldog.

Infact no LLU except Be.

I have looked at two different graphs now, and at 1.67 Km (straight line) from the exchange one suggests I would get full 8 meg ADSLMax and approx 20 out of 24 meg ADSL2+, whereas another one suggests I would get approx 5 meg ADSLMax and 10-12 meg ADSL2+. BT's own ADSL checker suggests I would get 4.5 meg on the line. All in all I am confused.

I am going to go back to my current provider and asking if they will drop or reduce the price of the additional 50Gb/month download, in order to retain me as a customer (well they did ask the question in the resulting e-mails).

Being 1.67km from the exhange isn't so bad, but thats as the crow flies, so how far so the cables go in reality ?

The longer the cables, the more the signal degrades, which is why the speeds slow down. At that distance you should be able to get pretty close to 8Mb and 10-12 sounds about right for ADSL2+.

It's about time BT and the other companies started replacing all their copper cables for fiber so we can get 100Mb

Nikon D7100,
Nikkor 16-35mf f4
Sigma 120-400mm
Nikon 18-55mm kit lens,
Sigma 70-300 APO Macro,
Nikkor 50mm f1.8,
Sigma x2 TC
Remote shutter release ,
Kenko extension tubes,
reverse lens adaptor,
Nikon SB800 flash,
Tripod (x2),
Monopod

Rage3d flickr Group
Old Mar 20, 2007, 07:09 AM   #11
Samurai_crip
AMD FanBoi

Me want faster interwebz i only have 4meg ...I wantz 100

Old Mar 20, 2007, 07:39 AM   #12
Doozer
lollollollol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_crip View Post
Me want faster interwebz i only have 4meg ...I wantz 100
me too, I can only download @ 1400kbs

Nikon D7100,
Nikkor 16-35mf f4
Sigma 120-400mm
Nikon 18-55mm kit lens,
Sigma 70-300 APO Macro,
Nikkor 50mm f1.8,
Sigma x2 TC
Remote shutter release ,
Kenko extension tubes,
reverse lens adaptor,
Nikon SB800 flash,
Tripod (x2),
Monopod

Rage3d flickr Group
Old Mar 20, 2007, 07:43 AM   #13
kepler
Radeon Arctic Islands

kepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladedog View Post

No cable.
No Sky.
No Bulldog.

Infact no LLU except Be.

Tiscali told me I should be able to have a full 8mb connection without any problems as I live in the centre of a city, but have never had more than around 1mb p/s (as opposed to 1MB p/s). Though hopefully you'll be luckier with yours.
Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:42 AM   #14
Samurai_crip
AMD FanBoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doozer View Post
me too, I can only download @ 1400kbs