Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Oct 8, 2005, 12:37 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Oxy_Gen_8500
Radeon R520

Oxy_Gen_8500 is still being judged by the masses

Default Router - Plug And Play?

I'm tired of disconnecting and switching my cable modem plug whenever I want to play on Xbox Live or use the internet on my computer....

So I'm gonna get a router...is it simple as just connecting the cable modem to the router then a cable to the Xbox and another to the computer? Is there anything I have to set up? What is a good, affordable one?
Oxy_Gen_8500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 01:56 AM   #2
Sam Hain
goram hell. let me sleep

Sam Hain is still being judged by the masses

As long as you're not gonna need any wireless stuff, it really is plug and play no matter what device you buy. Your PC and XBox should already be set up for DHCP addressing, which the router will take over from the cable setup. You may need to configure some things on the router (steps will vary by make and model) for Live to work, but that's explained in this forums sticky post by andrewfee. Linksys, Netgear, D-Link... may as well get the one that you think looks nicest
Sam Hain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2005, 02:05 AM   #3
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

I'm fond of both Linksys & Netgear. It is pretty common to find them at Best Buy or CompUSA for a good discount after rebate, or some lesser known brands for completely free after rebate.

Most routers come w/ wireless functionality anymore. If you're not going to use the wireless, be sure to turn it off. If you will use it, be sure to change the password and lock it up w/ either WEP or WPA (preferred).
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad