Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D)
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Distributed Computing (Team Rage3D) Home of the Team Rage3D [email protected] project. Get [email protected] info, download information, and details on how to join the Team. Team Rage3D progress updates posted here daily.

Old Jan 31, 2008, 11:56 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Default Update your beta clients!

Stanford has been busy today, good thing since all the betas are expiring tonight!

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Download

No change logs unfortunately, so I don't know which clients have received updates beyond simply resetting the beta period. This is the only commentary I've found:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasson
We are in the process of releasing the updated beta clients. So far, beta2 has been released for OSX-Intel-Console and Linux versions. These are available from the download page. Other clients will be coming shortly. These clients will expire August 2, 2008.

The Linux and OSX clients have no major differences beta1 to beta2. We anticipate a few minor changes in the Windows SMP client.

Thanks for contributing! Please direct questions and comments to the appropriate client-specific forums.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beberg
Three more updated betas ready and waiting on the downloads page:

Windows Console
Windows GUI
GPU console

No significant changes to these three.
Source: foldingforum.org
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 01:55 AM   #2
Mmm_Beefy
Radeon Southern Islands

Mmm_Beefy is still being judged by the masses

heh i'm not using the beta clients.. when i installed MDC's iso i went with the 5x core downloaded by his script...
i guess winsmp beta left such a bad taste in my mouth i felt like sticking to stable builds.
wow alow bunch of nood who dont know what the **** they talking about 1 you need to sleep atlist 8:30 hours and who the **** drinks Neutrament for break fast ? its only for help to recovery protein will not gona make you get big protein jast help you recover you muscle and you need to eat breakfast then after 2 hours drink 40 g of protein in 2 hours eat lunch then agen in 2 hours eat some frots whit yugurs or milk go to gym before work out drink some creatine i can even sogest you TRACK is the best in marke after work out rush home emedatle drink 40 grams of protein shake whit fruts bannans and some apples and strobery or some fruets that you like and then after 40 minuts eat dinner that is my single day work out and food that i eat write now iam 210 pounds 23% fat my bench is 300 for 3rep max my deadleaft is 470 punds for 4 reps max my shuads is top 28o for 8 reps

C2Q Q6600 @ 3ghz
Zalman 9700 cooler
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
4x1gig Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800
Geforce 7300 128meg
1x500gig WD Caviar
Liteon CDRW
Antec P180 case
Xubuntu 32bit

Abit IP35-E
C2Q Q6600 B3 @3ghz
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 pro
4Gigs 2x1 Crucial Ballistix 2x1gig Corsair Valuselect
EVGA 8800 GTS 640meg
1x 250gig WD Caviar
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
NEC DVD/RW
Monsoon MM-700 2.1 speakers (old but man do they rock)
WinXP sp2

Windows is easier than Linux, just like crapping your pants is easier than going to the bathroom.
Fold for Rage... and women will find you sexy
Mmm_Beefy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 02:00 AM   #3
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Hrm, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but pretty sure the 5.91 linux client was beta as well.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 1, 2008, 02:10 AM   #4
Mmm_Beefy
Radeon Southern Islands

iirc.. i think i'm using 5.04
wow alow bunch of nood who dont know what the **** they talking about 1 you need to sleep atlist 8:30 hours and who the **** drinks Neutrament for break fast ? its only for help to recovery protein will not gona make you get big protein jast help you recover you muscle and you need to eat breakfast then after 2 hours drink 40 g of protein in 2 hours eat lunch then agen in 2 hours eat some frots whit yugurs or milk go to gym before work out drink some creatine i can even sogest you TRACK is the best in marke after work out rush home emedatle drink 40 grams of protein shake whit fruts bannans and some apples and strobery or some fruets that you like and then after 40 minuts eat dinner that is my single day work out and food that i eat write now iam 210 pounds 23% fat my bench is 300 for 3rep max my deadleaft is 470 punds for 4 reps max my shuads is top 28o for 8 reps

C2Q Q6600 @ 3ghz
Zalman 9700 cooler
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Geforce 7300 128meg
1x500gig WD Caviar
Liteon CDRW
Antec P180 case
Xubuntu 32bit

Abit IP35-E
C2Q Q6600 B3 @3ghz
EVGA 8800 GTS 640meg
1x 250gig WD Caviar
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
NEC DVD/RW
WinXP sp2

Windows is easier than Linux, just like crapping your pants is easier than going to the bathroom.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 08:54 PM   #5
Rad2owns
Rage3D Vet

Rad2owns is still being judged by the masses

Cant update my Linux VM clients.
There is no file on their server.
Wow crappy!!
If you Fold The Cure will Come!!!!!
Fold On Forever!!
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...00CC&c5=FFFFFF
Your Thoughts Will Define Your Destiny.
Hidden variables are everywhere.
BF3 KOz1
Rad2owns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 09:45 PM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad2owns View Post
Cant update my Linux VM clients.
There is no file on their server.
Wow crappy!!
try

Code:
wget http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.00beta2-Linux.tgz
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2008, 09:51 PM   #7
Rad2owns
Rage3D Vet

Just figured that out was going to post it.

The quick setup guides need to be fixed to reflect the changed server and clients.
Fold On Forever!!
BF3 KOz1
Old Feb 3, 2008, 12:56 PM   #8
junglist1996
Reload selecta!

junglist1996 is still being judged by the masses

Hmmm... a guide would be extremely helpful for a complete Linux n00b like myself.

The VM is stuck and I'm not sure how to extract the file after downloading it...
<= See "System Specs" | CPU Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 2.4GHz | Mobo Asus P5Q Deluxe | RAM 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 800 | GPU HIS Radeon HD6570 1GB | SSD 120GB Intel 320 | Optical LG GGC-H20L Blu-ray/HD DVD | Case Origen AE S16V | PSU Zalman ZM600-HP | OS Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Input Logitech MX Air + Logitech diNovo Edge | TV Panasonic VIERA TH-P50V20H 50" Plasma 1080p | DAC Wyred4Sound DAC2 24/192 Async USB | Integrated amplifier Musical Fidelity AMS35i 35wpc pure Class A | Loudspeakers Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand | ASRock Core 100HT | CPU Core i3 350M 2.26GHz | Chipset Intel HM55 | RAM 4GB Kingston DDR3 1333 | GPU Intel HD Graphics | SSD 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 | Optical LG Super-Multi DVD burner | OS Windows 7 Home Premium x64 | Input Logitech K400 | TV Sony BRAVIA KDL-40HX750 40" LED 1080p | DAC Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC 24/192 w/ M2Tech hiFace USB->SPDIF | Integrated amplifier Musical Fidelity A1 20wpc Class A | Loudspeakers DALI Royal Menuet II on Solidsteel ZR-7 | Dell XPS 15 (9530) | CPU Core i7 4702HQ 2.2GHz | Chipset Intel HM87 | RAM 16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU Nvidia GT 750M 2GB Optimus + Intel HD Graphics 4600 | SSD 512GB Samsung SM841 | OS Windows 8.1 Pro x64 | Input Backlit keyboard (built-in) + Logitech Performance Mouse M950 + Filco Majestouch Ninja keyboard (Cherry MX Brown) | Display 15.6" 3200x1800 Touch + Matrox DualHead2Go w/ 2 x Dell UltraSharp 1907FP 2560x1024 | Sound Realtek HD Audio | Microsoft Surface Pro | CPU Core i5 3317U 1.7GHz | Chipset Intel HM77 | RAM 4GB DDR3 1600 | GPU Intel HD Graphics 4000 | SSD 128GB Micron RealSSD C400 | OS Windows 8.1 Pro x64 | Input Touch Cover + Surface Pen | Display 10.6" 1920x1080 touchscreen | QNAP TS-253 Pro | 2 x 6TB HGST Deskstar NAS RAID 1

Would you like to help cure cancer with your uber rig? Join the fold at Team Rage 3D today!
junglist1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2008, 01:44 PM   #9
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Code:
wget http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.00beta2-Linux.tgz
tar xzf FAH_6.00beta2-Linux.tgz
sudo chmod fah6 +x
This downloads the client, extracts it, then makes sure the binary is executable. You'll need to enter the login password, which is r3d in my guide and MDC's VM.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 03:28 PM   #10
Mmm_Beefy
Radeon Southern Islands

i finally got around to updating the client on my pc. so far not too bad. i'll be updating the server and my wifes pc later.

i did it the easy way.. i edited MDC's ./getFAH script.. only had to change one number to get it to download

whever it says this file:

FAH6.00beta1-Linux.tgz

change it to say this file:
FAH6.00beta2-Linux.tgz

easy peasy

C2Q Q6600 @ 3ghz
Zalman 9700 cooler
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Geforce 7300 128meg
1x500gig WD Caviar
Liteon CDRW
Antec P180 case
Xubuntu 32bit

Abit IP35-E
C2Q Q6600 B3 @3ghz
EVGA 8800 GTS 640meg
1x 250gig WD Caviar
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
NEC DVD/RW
WinXP sp2

Old Feb 3, 2008, 11:10 PM   #11
Rad2owns
Rage3D Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglist1996 View Post
Hmmm... a guide would be extremely helpful for a complete Linux n00b like myself.

The VM is stuck and I'm not sure how to extract the file after downloading it...
I had to use VM Ware server 1.04 because the 2.0 VM would freeze and get stuck with my Vista 32 install.

MDCs image works fine in the 1.04 VMware server.
Fold On Forever!!
BF3 KOz1
Old Feb 4, 2008, 05:06 PM   #12
jmscott42
Radeon R520

jmscott42 is still being judged by the masses

Can this upgrade work like the last one where you just can swap out fah.exe on the Windows machines?
jmscott42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2008, 05:10 PM   #13
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Good question. I don't know, but I would assume so, as there is no update to the client, just an extension of beta period.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 09:10 AM   #14
Turbo_Rage3d_
Blessed to be here!

Turbo_Rage3d_ is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Good question. I don't know, but I would assume so, as there is no update to the client, just an extension of beta period.
I have 1 left to update, I'll try it after lunch and post my results.
Turbo_Rage3d_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 09:41 AM   #15
junglist1996
Reload selecta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Code:
tar xzf FAH_6.00beta2-Linux.tgz
sudo chmod fah6 +x
This downloads the client, extracts it, then makes sure the binary is executable. You'll need to enter the login password, which is r3d in my guide and MDC's VM.
Thanks for your help but I've just proved that I'm worst Linux n00b there is by failing to even properly extract the new client.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rad2owns
I had to use VM Ware server 1.04 because the 2.0 VM would freeze and get stuck with my Vista 32 install.

MDCs image works fine in the 1.04 VMware server.
Thanks for the tip. I'm actually using VMware Server 1.0.3 with MDC's custom VM v2.5.

Anyway, I seem to be able to renew the FAH client by using MDC's ./getFAH script. I note that the URL in MDC's script is "http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.00beta1-Linux.tgz" instead of the correct URL which is "http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.00beta2-Linux.tgz". But regardless, the VMs are working now so it's all good.
<= See "System Specs" | CPU Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 2.4GHz | Mobo Asus P5Q Deluxe | RAM 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2 800 | GPU HIS Radeon HD6570 1GB | SSD 120GB Intel 320 | Optical LG GGC-H20L Blu-ray/HD DVD | Case Origen AE S16V | PSU Zalman ZM600-HP | OS Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Input Logitech MX Air + Logitech diNovo Edge | TV Panasonic VIERA TH-P50V20H 50" Plasma 1080p | DAC Wyred4Sound DAC2 24/192 Async USB | Integrated amplifier Musical Fidelity AMS35i 35wpc pure Class A | Loudspeakers Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand | ASRock Core 100HT | CPU Core i3 350M 2.26GHz | Chipset Intel HM55 | RAM 4GB Kingston DDR3 1333 | GPU Intel HD Graphics | SSD 60GB OCZ Vertex 2 | Optical LG Super-Multi DVD burner | OS Windows 7 Home Premium x64 | Input Logitech K400 | TV Sony BRAVIA KDL-40HX750 40" LED 1080p | DAC Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC 24/192 w/ M2Tech hiFace USB->SPDIF | Integrated amplifier Musical Fidelity A1 20wpc Class A | Loudspeakers DALI Royal Menuet II on Solidsteel ZR-7 | Dell XPS 15 (9530) | CPU Core i7 4702HQ 2.2GHz | Chipset Intel HM87 | RAM 16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU Nvidia GT 750M 2GB Optimus + Intel HD Graphics 4600 | SSD 512GB Samsung SM841 | OS Windows 8.1 Pro x64 | Input Backlit keyboard (built-in) + Logitech Performance Mouse M950 + Filco Majestouch Ninja keyboard (Cherry MX Brown) | Display 15.6" 3200x1800 Touch + Matrox DualHead2Go w/ 2 x Dell UltraSharp 1907FP 2560x1024 | Sound Realtek HD Audio | Microsoft Surface Pro | CPU Core i5 3317U 1.7GHz | Chipset Intel HM77 | RAM 4GB DDR3 1600 | GPU Intel HD Graphics 4000 | SSD 128GB Micron RealSSD C400 | OS Windows 8.1 Pro x64 | Input Touch Cover + Surface Pen | Display 10.6" 1920x1080 touchscreen | QNAP TS-253 Pro | 2 x 6TB HGST Deskstar NAS RAID 1

Would you like to help cure cancer with your uber rig? Join the fold at Team Rage 3D today!
Old Feb 5, 2008, 09:54 AM   #16
Mmm_Beefy
Radeon Southern Islands

all 6 VM's updated as of last night

C2Q Q6600 @ 3ghz
Zalman 9700 cooler
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Geforce 7300 128meg
1x500gig WD Caviar
Liteon CDRW
Antec P180 case
Xubuntu 32bit

Abit IP35-E
C2Q Q6600 B3 @3ghz
EVGA 8800 GTS 640meg
1x 250gig WD Caviar
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
NEC DVD/RW
WinXP sp2

Old Feb 5, 2008, 09:56 AM   #17
Mmm_Beefy
Radeon Southern Islands

Quote:
Anyway, I seem to be able to renew the FAH client by using MDC's ./getFAH script. I note that the URL in MDC's script is "http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.00beta1-Linux.tgz" instead of the correct URL which is "http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.00beta2-Linux.tgz". But regardless, the VMs are working now so it's all good.

you noted it? or did you read post 10 in this thread?

good job getting em changed over!

C2Q Q6600 @ 3ghz
Zalman 9700 cooler
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Geforce 7300 128meg
1x500gig WD Caviar
Liteon CDRW
Antec P180 case
Xubuntu 32bit

Abit IP35-E
C2Q Q6600 B3 @3ghz
EVGA 8800 GTS 640meg
1x 250gig WD Caviar
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
NEC DVD/RW
WinXP sp2

Old Feb 5, 2008, 10:07 AM   #18
MDC
Radeon Northern Islands

Location: United States Center of the Universe, Washington DC
MDC is still being judged by the masses

Running ./update in the v2.5 VM will now update your clients and restart them.
MDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 12:03 PM   #19
junglist1996
Reload selecta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmm_Beefy View Post
you noted it? or did you read post 10 in this thread?

good job getting em changed over!
You caught me!

Seriously, I didn't read you post #10. And even if I had read it, I certainly wouldn't have known how to edit the script to change that digit. Anyway, the unmodified script is working for me so no complaints here.

ps It'd be great if someone can point me to a place for starters where I can learn some basic Linux commands. Perhaps a Linux for Dummies (if one exists)?

Last edited by junglist1996 : Feb 5, 2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 12:19 PM   #20
Mmm_Beefy
Radeon Southern Islands

Quote:
You caught me!

Seriously, I didn't read you post #10. And even if I had read it, I certainly wouldn't have known how to edit the script to change that digit. Anyway, the unmodified script is working for me so no complaints here.

ps It'd be great if someone can point me to a place for starters where I can learn some basic Linux commands. Perhaps a Linux for Dummies (if one exists)?
for me it was:
sudo nano getFAH
password prompt.
do your editing.. then hit CTRL+X hit Y for yes, hit enter, hit ctrl+x

have a look here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

should get you on the right track.

cheers

C2Q Q6600 @ 3ghz
Zalman 9700 cooler
Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L
Geforce 7300 128meg
1x500gig WD Caviar
Liteon CDRW
Antec P180 case
Xubuntu 32bit

Abit IP35-E
C2Q Q6600 B3 @3ghz
EVGA 8800 GTS 640meg
1x 250gig WD Caviar
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS
NEC DVD/RW
WinXP sp2

Old Feb 5, 2008, 12:21 PM   #21
Turbo_Rage3d_
Blessed to be here!

Turbo_Rage3d_ is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Rage3d_ View Post
I have 1 left to update, I'll try it after lunch and post my results.
Worked just fine for me, rnamed the client to match the old one, copied over and working fine so far.
Turbo_Rage3d_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 12:22 PM   #22
junglist1996
Reload selecta!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmm_Beefy View Post
for me it was:
sudo nano getFAH
password prompt.
do your editing.. then hit CTRL+X hit Y for yes, hit enter, hit ctrl+x

have a look here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

should get you on the right track.

cheers
Thanks for helping out man. After all, I don't want to be crapping my pants all my life.

Old Feb 5, 2008, 02:58 PM   #23
ukHazard
Radeon Northern Islands

ukHazard is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmscott42 View Post
Can this upgrade work like the last one where you just can swap out fah.exe on the Windows machines?

Yes, QED with my work laptop
Old Feb 5, 2008, 03:44 PM   #24
hazindu
I put the zin in Hadu!!!

hazindu can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyhazindu can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

LOL, a new problem cropped up Vmplayer is only doing caps.... I've tried starting with caps lock on and off, and uh... I have all the luck with this.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 04:23 PM   #25
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazindu View Post
LOL, a new problem cropped up Vmplayer is only doing caps.... I've tried starting with caps lock on and off, and uh... I have all the luck with this.
Its yelling *NEED MOAR POWAR!!!111* at you. Go feed the beast!