Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jul 22, 2002, 05:36 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Dyre Straits is still being judged by the masses

Arrow Intel's Newest chipset drivers....

Intel has posted some newer chipset drivers and, according to the list, my 440BX board should be supported.
However, when I try to run the program as I have done on numerous occasions in the past, I get an error at the 50% point and it tells me something like this:

Cannot get SourcePath from....
HKLM/Sofware/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup. Registry is corrupted.

Now, the Registry isn't corrupted...at least according to Registry Checker in the System Information Tools.

One method that's suggested of updating these components is to remove the Plug and Play Bios devices in Device Manager. Then, when Windows98SE reboots, the user is supposed to point to the files. BUT, in my case, Windows98SE just keeps restoring the previous ones without even prompting me for a location. How would I go about disabling that feature?

Anyway, I currently have the Intel 1008...and the newest version is 1013. Would like to update if possible.

Dyre Straits
~Windows 10 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX R9 390 8GB GDDR5~3 Acer 27 inch LCDs~SCEPTRE 505 4K UHD TVand one Sanyo 32 inch HDTV connected via Intel onboard GPU~SATA BluRay RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~AND....1 TB XBOX ONE~1 PS4 with Uncharted Bundle~

Quote:
If you have an issue with what you said, please resolve it in private ;)
Dyre Straits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2002, 07:05 PM   #2
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Talking Got it!

This was a little learning experience involving a little tinkering with the Registry after all.

I had just installed a new hard drive a week and a half ago. I had also installed Windows 98SE fresh on this new hard drive.

For whatever reason, the Setup/SourcePath key had become (or was created as) a Binary key. The number was HUGE!!!

I had to delete the SourcePath key and then create a new one and enter the correct information. In my case it was F:/Win98

That was all there was to it and the Intel driver installation proceeded and succeeded after that without a hitch.

Dyre Straits
~Windows 10 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX R9 390 8GB GDDR5~3 Acer 27 inch LCDs~SCEPTRE 505 4K UHD TVand one Sanyo 32 inch HDTV connected via Intel onboard GPU~SATA BluRay RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~AND....1 TB XBOX ONE~1 PS4 with Uncharted Bundle~

Quote:
Old Jul 22, 2002, 07:13 PM   #3
kbleft
Radeon Evergreen

kbleft is still being judged by the masses

Man 440BX boards were awesome! Ok, this suggestion is going to be *very* annoying:

If the plan is to remove all plug and play devices, but windows is just so damn helpful that it won't let you do that ... you could try taking them out of the computer. Maybe if you disconnect a bunch of stuff, then turn off "plug and play" os in the bios, windows might let you install the chipset drivers. Then you could switch everything back.

Irritating, no?

How hard do you think it would be to remove all of the .inf files and registry entries for the plug and play devices?

Oh, what about safemode? There shouldn't be any plug and play interference if you force install the chipset drivers in safemode. You might need winrar to unpack the files.

[EDIT] then again, you could just reply with the answer.
kbleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 22, 2002, 08:22 PM   #4
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Arrow Did try it in Safemode....

Got the same 'SourcePath' error as in normal Windows.

But, as you see, it's all fixed now.

Dyre Straits

Quote:
Old Jul 23, 2002, 07:08 PM   #5
JCLW
Radeon R600

JCLW is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by kbleft
Man 440BX boards were awesome!
"were"? There are many people out there still happily computing with them.

There's only one thing better then an i440BX and a PIII...

...an i440BX and two PIIIs.

- JW
Old Jul 24, 2002, 07:12 PM   #6
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Originally posted by JCLW

"were"? There are many people out there still happily computing with them.

There's only one thing better then an i440BX and a PIII...

...an i440BX and two PIIIs.

- JW

Everything about your system looked good to me....except....

Why are you running a SDR video card? I'd expect to see something a little more impressive in there.

Dyre Straits

Quote:
Old Jul 31, 2002, 12:09 AM   #7
JCLW
Radeon R600

JCLW is still being judged by the masses

When I bought the card, the DDR version was considerably more expensive and the performance gain is negligable. It's main use is 2D AutoCAD so the DDR does't help anyways.

I'm building a new uni-processor machine (i815, PIII-S-1400) for games that I'll put a better card in. Maybe even a 9700 if I can dig up the $$$.

- JW
JCLW is offline   Reply With Quote