Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Oct 10, 2020, 11:26 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ugly
Radeon R600

ugly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyugly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Yeah, I remember that if you go the wrong way from the first town you'll get your **** ruined immediately.

I really don't think there is a legit way to actually learn spells. You pretty much have to use the command-cancel trick. Even if you make one character a dedicated spell-caster that never did a melee attack you wouldn't level up very many spells. I think the only spells you actually do level up legitimately are your Cure/Heal spell and the Life spell. Because you'll be using those a lot, but mainly outside of battle so you don't even build your MP.

The game had some interesting ideas. But it needed a lot of rebalancing. I think the modern remake for the PSP was a little more forgiving.
ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2020, 12:51 AM   #62
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Sometimes the game can be super cheap, which is the frustrating part. I just went through a complete dungeon TWICE tonight. I opened a single chest that contained 3 enemies that were easy to beat, but happened to all cast stone on the first attempt and all my characters got hit...THE END. Just like that. Even more annoying, it was the last chest in the entire dungeon, on the final floor, right before the last door. I had to load up my save and do the entire thing a 2nd time.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard

Last edited by OverclockN' : Oct 11, 2020 at 01:43 AM.
OverclockN' is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2020, 04:13 AM   #63
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Clownies

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Sometimes the game can be super cheap, which is the frustrating part. I just went through a complete dungeon TWICE tonight. I opened a single chest that contained 3 enemies that were easy to beat, but happened to all cast stone on the first attempt and all my characters got hit...THE END. Just like that. Even more annoying, it was the last chest in the entire dungeon, on the final floor, right before the last door. I had to load up my save and do the entire thing a 2nd time.
You playing console or emulator?

I'd just save state that **** and enjoy my extra 2 hours in life.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 12, 2020, 07:43 AM   #64
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
You playing console or emulator?

I'd just save state that **** and enjoy my extra 2 hours in life.
Playing on console.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Oct 18, 2020, 09:26 PM   #65
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Beat Final Fantasy II today. Not a bad game at all, but wow...I had to grind levels in that game more than I've ever had to do for an RPG in my life.

The story had a few more twists/turns than the original, so it's nice to see the development in the franchise. The NPC's had a bit more to say this time (though still not much at all) than the first game. Also, they introduced asking questions. An NPC would refer to something important and it would show it as a kind of context clue, and you could "learn" that phrase or word. Then, ask people about it to learn more. This is basically how you figure out where to go in this game and what to do. Even then, without a guide, I would have been roaming around endlessly trying to find things. I have no idea how anyone could play these early games and find their way around without one.

The same goes with weapons, armor, and spells. The game tells you nothing, so it's simply impossible to know what anything does without a LOT of trial and error.

The game was still pretty light on the story and had very basic writing and dialogue, but neat to see. I'm curious to see how the last NES game (FF3) plays out and if it's a bit deeper. That game should be here this week.

After that, the next 3 games are on SNES. I'm still trying to get a hold of a Super NT Analogue, but they've been out of stock for months. I sent them an email and just got some lame canned response from one of their reps. That crap just drives me insane. Why can't people just respond like a human and actually answer questions?

Will have to put the series on hold until I get that system, whenever that might be. I want to play them on that in their original (although obviously visually better) form.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Oct 19, 2020, 12:47 AM   #66
ugly
Radeon R600

ugly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyugly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Yeah, FF2 gets ripped on a lot. But it's not a bad game. Just a lot different from the other games in the series. And very flawed. If some aspects of the game were fixed, it could be one of the better games in the series.

FF3 is the most polished game. It kind of takes everything from the first two games and makes it better. Basically what a video game sequel should be. An impressive amount of content for a NES catridge.

I'm pretty sure it's a step backwards in terms of storyline. It's closer to FF1 for story. The DS version adds a bit more context, but not a whole lot.

The combat is better presented. I think 3 is the first one that got rid of the ineffective attack. The whole combat feels less clunky than in the first two.

In terms of classic Final Fantasy gameplay elements FF3 adds a lot. They use the 'class' system, which they've used a couple of times. You can swap between classes for any of your characters given the situation. Classes finally have skills associated with them, so the thief actually steals items and stuff like that. Summons are introduced. I think moogles are in this one. Just a lot of things that you'll see in future games over and over.

The classes are a little unbalanced. There will be a bunch of classes you don't use because they suck so much (like the Bard). Espcially after you get your 3rd and 4th set of classes. The DS version rebalances them so any class is viable. There are a few situations where the gameplay forces you to play as a particular class. There are a couple of dungeons that force you to be mini so you're stuck with spellcasters. And a few bosses that sort of require a particular class. Or else the game kind of hints at the class based on the items you find.

I forget how the class levelling works in this one. I think you gain some class skills, but I forget how much it matters. I think there were some class points you get in battle that allow you to switch classes, and it costs more to switch between a magic and combat class.

I remember FF3 being very difficult. The final dungeon is a huge grind. It's super long, tons of boss fights, lack of save points. And then the final boss is brutal.

I don't think there are too many tricks to this game. There are two bonus classes in the final dungeon that are the two best melee and magic using classes, they might be sort of hidden. But I don't think there's a reason to use any of the other classes once you find those.

The only real secret is that your original 'onion knight' class can be the best character in the game. They are basically totally useless. But in the 2nd last dungeon there are rare random encounters where you fight a dragon. Each colour dragon rarely drops an Onion item (sword and each type of armor). It's only used by the original onion knight class and it's the best in the game. But I think it's such a rare thing to get that it might not be worth trying for if you're not being a completionist.
Old Oct 21, 2020, 12:57 AM   #67
ugly
Radeon R600

Not too long ago Kotaku did a retrospective of the Final Fantasy games.

https://kotaku.com/tag/ff-retrospective
Old Oct 21, 2020, 08:26 AM   #68
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Hey, that's neat! Thanks...will make a good read.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Jun 16, 2021, 02:26 AM   #69
ugly
Radeon R600

Square Enix does a very Square Enix thing and is going to re-re-re-re-re-release the Final Fantasy games.

And even though I already bought the re-re-re-re-releases on Steam, like a sucker I'm going to get this too.

To be fair, it would be the first time FF1 and FF2 are available on the PC. And the PC versions of 3 and 4 are pretty bad.

I think this would be exactly what most old-school Final Fantasy fans would want. Basically a remaster with updated but still old-school graphics. Hopefully they don't mess with the gameplay too much.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 08:45 AM   #70
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly View Post
Square Enix does a very Square Enix thing and is going to re-re-re-re-re-release the Final Fantasy games.

And even though I already bought the re-re-re-re-releases on Steam, like a sucker I'm going to get this too.

To be fair, it would be the first time FF1 and FF2 are available on the PC. And the PC versions of 3 and 4 are pretty bad.

I think this would be exactly what most old-school Final Fantasy fans would want. Basically a remaster with updated but still old-school graphics. Hopefully they don't mess with the gameplay too much.
But they didnt announce any console releases...only PC and mobile......
And we know how good their PC ports are.....

I'd get this on Switch if it ever becomes available.

all their PC ports of the old titles have been ass (from what i read), they were based off their mobile ports...or just straight ported the mobile ports to the PC without tweaking the mobile-based UI to something more big-screen friendly.
I think when its built up to be on PC as well as console its mostly, fine. Its when they port stuff...they suck at porting.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2021, 01:59 AM   #71
ugly
Radeon R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquach View Post
But they didnt announce any console releases...only PC and mobile......
And we know how good their PC ports are.....

I'd get this on Switch if it ever becomes available.

all their PC ports of the old titles have been ass (from what i read), they were based off their mobile ports...or just straight ported the mobile ports to the PC without tweaking the mobile-based UI to something more big-screen friendly.
I think when its built up to be on PC as well as console its mostly, fine. Its when they port stuff...they suck at porting.
I remember an article about the PC ports that said something like 'PC gamers got the shittest versions of all the Final Fantasy games'.

3 and 4 were ports from the DS version. They are awful. They look terrible. Giant blocky characters on a big PC monitor. 3 is actually okay, especially since it is the only version of that game that made it to North America. 4 looks terrible, and they changed the gameplay significantly.

5 and 6 seem okay. I haven't played them through on the new PC version, but it seems generally the same in terms of gameplay. I think the main complaint was that they changed the art style and that it was an Android port. I think after the release they did actually put some effort into making it a little better. Same with the PC version of Chrono Trigger.

It is suprising that they didn't announce it for a console. But hopefully that means they're putting some actual effort into making this decent for the PC. PC is usually an afterthought, which is why the ports have been pretty bad.