Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Nov 21, 2020, 04:32 PM   #241
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Contacted Costco through chat and phone line to ask them about return/replacement and what the timeframe is and the options for doing so (so I don't get stuck without a display). I got a different answer every time.

So I called my local store and asked them, and they said my monitor falls into some grey area and it's not actually on the 90 days...but is actually "whenever". I can literally go there and return it at any point, even past the normal 90 days. I then had her confirm it with their electronics and return folks just to be sure. This is supposedly the case.

So...won't do anything for now but keep a close eye on it I think. I did bring my PC to my home theater room and sit on top of the 49" Sony screen I have in there and used the PC/played some games to test...and it's not as bad as I thought it would be at my current desk. I was considering just swapping it for the 48" CX OLED...

Anyway, that's the drama for now. Swap it for something else, or keep it and hope it doesn't get worse.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2020, 04:47 PM   #242
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Now that you mention it, I don't think I've ever seen it during gaming. It's always been on the desktop, but not tied to doing anything in particular. For example, I'll be reading an article, or have a video playing off to the side and I'll be focused on those...then see a super quick flash/flicker on the bottom or top of the monitor out of the corner of my eye. Almost too quick to even catch. So at first I was like...the hell was that? Did something go by my window outside? (it casts a minor glow/light on my monitor). Then I caught it a couple times right where I was looking.

I was using 144Hz and 8bit color since I got it 3 months ago. yesterday I changed it to 120Hz and 10bit color. Does it with both settings. I work from home, so I literally use it 10-12hrs a day. In that entire 12hrs, I might catch it flicker 2-4 times.
Sounds similar to the flickering i saw but it is not happening randomly on mine. Happens when my desktop wallpaper changes. I already mentioned that so i assume that's not when it happens for you.

I can live with it as long as it doesn't get worse, or start happening while gaming. I'm wondering now if there's firmware updates available that fix issues like this.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2020, 05:54 PM   #243
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

That's a strange one, it's almost like a loose connection. Have you tried swapping cables and ports on video card?
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 21, 2020, 07:27 PM   #244
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
Contacted Costco through chat and phone line to ask them about return/replacement and what the timeframe is and the options for doing so (so I don't get stuck without a display). I got a different answer every time.

So I called my local store and asked them, and they said my monitor falls into some grey area and it's not actually on the 90 days...but is actually "whenever". I can literally go there and return it at any point, even past the normal 90 days. I then had her confirm it with their electronics and return folks just to be sure. This is supposedly the case.

So...won't do anything for now but keep a close eye on it I think. I did bring my PC to my home theater room and sit on top of the 49" Sony screen I have in there and used the PC/played some games to test...and it's not as bad as I thought it would be at my current desk. I was considering just swapping it for the 48" CX OLED...

Anyway, that's the drama for now. Swap it for something else, or keep it and hope it doesn't get worse.
Costco has crazy awesome return policies... So not too surprised there

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2020, 09:55 PM   #245
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled withOverclockN' is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Costco has crazy awesome return policies... So not too surprised there
Good to hear.

I'm really tempted to get the 48" OLED though to test out. I've been against OLED as a primary PC display, so it's tough to commit.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Nov 21, 2020, 10:01 PM   #246
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Depending on where you sit pixel pitch might be too high for you. Especially if you are going to be working on documents etc.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2020, 10:13 PM   #247
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Depending on where you sit pixel pitch might be too high for you. Especially if you are going to be working on documents etc.
Shouldn't be an issue for me. I sat literally on top of my Sony that's about the same size. I just compared the two online for their pixel pitch and the LG is slightly better yet. So yeah, that would be fine.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Nov 21, 2020, 10:15 PM   #248
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Should be OK, pixel pitch will be the same as a 24" 1080p display.

Quote:
Good to hear.

I'm really tempted to get the 48" OLED though to test out. I've been against OLED as a primary PC display, so it's tough to commit.
If the size doesn't bother you, I'd get one. Sell me your faulty 2nd hand unit without transferrable warranty. Can't be worth much

I'll pay for shipping OFC
Old Nov 21, 2020, 10:18 PM   #249
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Should be OK, pixel pitch will be the same as a 24" 1080p display.

If the size doesn't bother you, I'd get one. Sell me your faulty 2nd hand unit without transferrable warranty. Can't be worth much

I'll pay for shipping OFC
Well, it's worth quite a bit of money according to Costco, who is offering a full refund.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Nov 21, 2020, 10:22 PM   #250
demo
space cadet

Old Nov 22, 2020, 11:30 AM   #251
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Yeah, the G7 and my previous monitor did not do that.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2020, 10:44 PM   #252
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

After giving this ultra wide a fair shot, I ordered a 48" CX OLED tonight to test for a couple months and see if I like it as a primary display. I'll then return this if I like it more. Will report back once I get it. ETA is Dec 30th.

Primary reasons for trying something else:
1. Ultrawide resolution with varying game support. Some games don't support it properly (though honestly MOST do). Most of the ones that do, still have 16:9 menus and cut scenes. All of this bugs me a bit, plus the annoying fisheye.

2. Judder/Stutter. This isn't a huge issue, but I'm use to TV's that smooth it out and this is kind of annoying. I see this constantly in shows and movies. But to clarify, this is NOT something I typically see in games.

3. Proper HDR support. Again, this isn't a huge problem, but it would be nice to have if I'm doing something different. This monitor claims HDR600, but let's face it...it's not really HDR if we're being honest. "HDR" on this monitor just looks like it cranks the brightness to 150% across the whole display. It's not great. It's expected though for a display that has no local dimming zones or OLED.

4. My particular LG 38GN950 has a flickering problem that comes and goes, so I'd want to at least swap it out at some point anyway.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 21, 2020, 08:47 AM   #253
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Clownies

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I also ordered a 48" CX OLED, for most of the reasons you stated. Plus I want to play at 4K not 5K downsampled, have HDR, and working Gsync.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 09:31 AM   #254
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
I also ordered a 48" CX OLED, for most of the reasons you stated. Plus I want to play at 4K not 5K downsampled, have HDR, and working Gsync.
Awesome, I'm hoping it's as amazing as everyone says. If it is, I can just do all my gaming here in my office and not even bother with the idea of stringing my PC image/USB out to other rooms. I won't have surround sound, but that's easy enough to fix if I really wanted to.

I think I'll get a 2nd display though and put that on my monitor arm I'm using for the 38" LG right now. I'll put more static content on that instead of the OLED. I'll still browse internet on the OLED, but it's not like it'll be something I leave up for hours and hours like I do my email, chats, youtube. That can go to the 2nd smaller display. We'll see... Looking forward to trying it out.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 21, 2020, 09:58 AM   #255
SirBaron

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I'm using my Galaxy tab 7+ for anything that's basically just web browsing etc.

OLED will be films/games.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 11:43 AM   #256
Ghastlyone
Radeon Southern Islands

Ghastlyone is still being judged by the masses

Awesome, congrats OverClockN'. I'd be amazed if you don't love the CX48. It's amazing. It doesn't get any better than this for gaming right now. The couple little nit picks with this TV are minuscule in my opinion, overall it's the current king of gaming displays...

Ghastlyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2020, 12:19 PM   #257
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Dang, that's sitting close!

Looking forward to it. Seems like it'll be a couple weeks yet though. Probably not until after the new year.

Wonder how my NES games will look on it.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 21, 2020, 12:32 PM   #258
Ghastlyone
Radeon Southern Islands

Ghastlyone is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

Looking forward to it. Seems like it'll be a couple weeks yet though. Probably not until after the new year.

I love it. I'm about 3 feet away from where my chair position is.

Keyboard and mouse gaming works great, and then I can hook a controller up for other games and kick back even further.

So I've been using this LG CX48 for like 3 weeks now. I gave my old 1440p 27" monitor to my boy. I went into his room last night to adjust some settings for him on his PC. I went full Zoolander and was like "WHAT IS THIS? A MONITOR FOR ANTS!!"

I cannot believe that's what I was gaming on for that many years. It's laughable now after using this beautiful 48" OLED.

Last edited by Ghastlyone : Dec 21, 2020 at 12:47 PM.
Ghastlyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2020, 12:40 PM   #259
SirBaron

Quote:

Yeah not sure when mine is due either, next week maybe. Ss for NES I've played NES games on them and they look very sharp albiet via emulator and not the original hardware.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 01:00 PM   #260
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghastlyone View Post
I cannot believe that's what I was gaming on for that many years. It's laughable now after using this beautiful 48" OLED.
I brought my PC up to a room I have that's more of a "home theater" room with a 49" Sony X900. I sat 32-36" away from it and gamed for a while before pulling the trigger on the 48" CX. But yeah, I had the same impression coming back to this 38" LG Ultrawide. It takes a good 30-40min before it starts feeling normal again.

Quote:
Ss for NES I've played NES games on them and they look very sharp albiet via emulator and not the original hardware.
I have an AVS Retro that I use for cartridge NES games that runs at 720P and looks fantastic. Will be fun to see what it's like on a much larger screen. Every pixel will be huge!

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 21, 2020, 01:09 PM   #261
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
I have an AVS Retro that I use for cartridge NES games that runs at 720P and looks fantastic. Will be fun to see what it's like on a much larger screen. Every pixel will be huge!
I play my Hi-def modded NES on a 46" plasma and its all about viewing distance. Sitting any closer than 4-5 feet and the pixels are very noticeable. But 7 feet away on my couch it looks great, just very sharp and clear.

I don't know how some of you guys use a display that size as a desktop monitor. Its just too damn big. My brother had a 42" as a desktop monitor for a while years back and I could never get used to it.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 01:14 PM   #262
SirBaron

It's not the size for me I've done it before, but the PPI and the 120hz refresh rate is what makes it better. Plus I will be using the TV a foot further away than my monitor.

Would be nice if the stand wasn't ****ing huge though

Plus it has GSync so if for some reason I can't do 60fps at least it's tolerable.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 01:36 PM   #263
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Oh that's right, and the OLED is 4k. Forgot about that.

4k gaming is still too tough to maintain good performance with IMO, even with a 3080.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 01:38 PM   #264
SirBaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Oh that's right, and the OLED is 4k. Forgot about that.

4k gaming is still too tough to maintain good performance with IMO, even with a 3080.
Without DLSS in Ray Tracing maybe, but nearly all games are 60fps+ and then you have Gsync for the 1% drops.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 01:53 PM   #265
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Without DLSS in Ray Tracing maybe, but nearly all games are 60fps+ and then you have Gsync for the 1% drops.
Even if that's the case (depends on personal standards of what's considered good performance) it wont be long before even more demanding games are released forcing you to upgrade again sooner than you may want to.

It took a while for 1440 to become acceptable for mid-range to high-end GPUs to maintain good performance across the board with high-spec PCs. We are still, STILL not there yet with 4k in my opinion. Personally I want to be able to use my 3080 for at least 3-4 years. On a 4k display I don't think I'll be able to.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 02:00 PM   #266
SirBaron

Yeah in that case probably, but I'll keep this GPU for max 2 years.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 02:14 PM   #267
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Yeah, we're definitely still lagging on the hardware side to keep up with 4k resolutions. My opinion is that we aren't really there yet either, and newer games will just make it harder to run. Games like AC Valhalla and Cyberpunk already show that.

But...that's just the way it is. I'd hope anyone buying 4k displays has already weighed those factors in and used that data to make their choice. Personally, I'll get a 3080 and toss it when a 4080 comes out. Rinse and repeat.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 21, 2020, 02:29 PM   #268
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

I guess since 4k is so niche (only like 2-3% of gamers according to Steam) most of those people are likely the high end type to upgrade yearly anyways. Annual GPU upgrades definitely help to stay on and keep up with that bleeding edge of new demanding games. Not really something I can afford to do though.
Old Dec 21, 2020, 02:37 PM   #269
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

I've been 4k gaming for a couple years now at least. I had been playing on my 49" Sony X900F until I made a new office in a spare room when we started working from home. I bought the 38" LG a couple months after that. So before then, I was gaming 4k already on a 1080Ti.

So yeah...use to the crap performance. Not much has changed.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Old Dec 21, 2020, 03:30 PM   #270
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

**** you guys are making me wanna pull the trigger. I offered my 38" to my dad for $800 (just paid $1600 for it in October, and the price went up to $1799 MSRP now) and I have an ASUS 27" 1440p 165Hz monitor I need to offload. I'm trying so hard to not order one but if I can sell the 27" for $400-500 like I expect, I'll do it. It'll barely cost me anything out of pocket, plus my dad will get a nice upgrade from his older 34" 3440x1440 100Hz ASUS ultrawide.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote