Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jun 3, 2021, 12:51 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllexxisF1 View Post
Z Reviews is by far the best speaker reviewer on Youtube, and he's freaking hilarious.

If you're looking for a nice set of monitors for your PC, check out his channel. He's reviewed pretty much all of them. If you want to learn about real acoustics and have a thing for hardware, he's your guy.

I ended up getting the Edifier 1700BT's but I find I end up using my headphones still more then anything. Decent speakers however.

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2021, 03:11 PM   #32
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

So I think my wife ordered these for me for Father's Day:

https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1280... 2C179&sr=8-4

I'm like 99% sure, because I had them on my Amazon list and they are now gone from list, and she received a suspicious package matching the approximate size.

Happy camper if she did, but now I need to wait 2 weeks to know, or order anything myself.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2021, 02:56 AM   #33
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
So I think my wife ordered these for me for Father's Day:

https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1280... 2C179&sr=8-4

I'm like 99% sure, because I had them on my Amazon list and they are now gone from list, and she received a suspicious package matching the approximate size.

Happy camper if she did, but now I need to wait 2 weeks to know, or order anything myself.
you get presents on father's day? wtf....

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 4, 2021, 08:23 AM   #34
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwardsExposed can recite pi backwards

Yeah what's up with that. All I get is usually a steak and lobster dinner. I wouldn't mind some new speakers also.
Exposed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2021, 11:08 AM   #35
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
you get presents on father's day? wtf....
Of course, why wouldn't I?

Its customary for as long as I can remember to give gifts to fathers and mothers on Father's and Mother's Day.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 04:58 PM   #36
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Got my Schitt in today. No doubt a definite improvement over my Sound Blaster Audigy Fx. When I hooked them up to my Logitech Z-2300's and turned it up it was like a punch in the face how much better it sounded.

Honestly I was a bit concerned it would not be much difference and a waste of money but my concerns were unwarranted. This Modi DAC is awesome. Much smoother sounding with nice bass that I was able to turn up higher than before with the SB which started sounding too muddy with the sub knob cranked up. But it also has a bright clear high end too. I am getting better separation of the instruments and can definitely pick up some detail that I did not hear before!

The Magni is also a noticeable improvement even when using my cheap PC 373D headphones. The SB Audigy FX headphone amp was not driving them well enough even though only 50 ohms. Overall very happy and haven't even upgraded my speakers yet. Honestly though I'm kind of glad I am able to try out the Schitt Modi on my current speakers before getting new ones since I'm so used to how they sound and can really evaluate the difference.

Yay Hi-fi.

Old Jun 4, 2021, 05:50 PM   #37
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Of course, why wouldn't I?

Its customary for as long as I can remember to give gifts to fathers and mothers on Father's and Mother's Day.
hey, don't get me wrong i'm fine with it, it's just not common over here, that's why i was surprised.

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

Old Jun 4, 2021, 06:08 PM   #38
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
hey, don't get me wrong i'm fine with it, it's just not common over here, that's why i was surprised.
You guys need to treat your parents better.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 07:46 PM   #39
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Quote:
You guys need to treat your parents better.
we do, just without pricey gifts

Old Jun 4, 2021, 08:15 PM   #40
eNforcer
Radeon Southern Islands

eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'eNforcer once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Not too long ago I switched from a cumbersome Z5500 setup to a pair of Micca MB42X's with an SMSL AD18. Decent monitor speakers have a surprisingly good amount of bass, no reason to add a subwoofer for me.

Actually, that said, I've pretty well grown old of needing face punching bass and loud volume audio in general
eNforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2021, 10:47 PM   #41
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNforcer View Post
Not too long ago I switched from a cumbersome Z5500 setup to a pair of Micca MB42X's with an SMSL AD18. Decent monitor speakers have a surprisingly good amount of bass, no reason to add a subwoofer for me.

Actually, that said, I've pretty well grown old of needing face punching bass and loud volume audio in general
Don't think that will ever happen for me. I'm in my mid 40's and still love to crank it loud.

Something about loud ass hard rock and metal just sooth's my nerves and kills my anxiety dead in its tracks.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 09:44 AM   #42
kboye
9700PRO RIP

kboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

That feeling of surprising physical pressure changes is gold Got some very old Jamo D830 bookshelf speakers that still do this, incredibly fast, though amp is dead and with HDMI 2.1 drama the Logitechs are back
Old Jun 7, 2021, 10:07 AM   #43
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Yeah its great. I've been listening to lots of music past few days.

This DAC has breathed new life into my favorite albums.
Old Jun 10, 2021, 08:24 PM   #44
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG once held a door open for a complete strangerNIGELG once held a door open for a complete strangerNIGELG once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Yeah its great. I've been listening to lots of music past few days.

This DAC has breathed new life into my favorite albums.
Do you think it's a big improvement over the Sound Blaster Titanium HD?
Old Jun 11, 2021, 07:35 AM   #45
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGELG View Post
Do you think it's a big improvement over the Sound Blaster Titanium HD?
I dont know, I don't have a SB Titanium HD.

My soundcard was the Audigy FX which is a cheap $40 card. Not sure how much was the Titanium HD but i know it was much more expensive so i expect the sound quality to be better. Hard to say without being able to test myself if the Schitt DAC would be an improvement.
Old Jun 11, 2021, 08:02 AM   #46
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

The DAC on the Titanium HD is still very good. The Schiit DAC is higher quality, but it depends what you're looking for. Are you listening to loss-less quality music with mid-range or higher quality cans/speakers? If so, then you would notice a difference. If not, then I'd say stick with the Titanium, especially if it's just for gaming.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2021, 06:39 PM   #47
NIGELG
Fire of Unknown Origin

NIGELG once held a door open for a complete strangerNIGELG once held a door open for a complete strangerNIGELG once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
I dont know, I don't have a SB Titanium HD.

My soundcard was the Audigy FX which is a cheap $40 card. Not sure how much was the Titanium HD but i know it was much more expensive so i expect the sound quality to be better. Hard to say without being able to test myself if the Schitt DAC would be an improvement.
The Titanium cost 200 bucks in 2012 and is no longer supported but the sound quality is excellent. It was touted as an 'Audiophile Card' and I agree.

I don't go higher than CD/FLAC for music though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
The DAC on the Titanium HD is still very good. The Schiit DAC is higher quality, but it depends what you're looking for. Are you listening to loss-less quality music with mid-range or higher quality cans/speakers? If so, then you would notice a difference. If not, then I'd say stick with the Titanium, especially if it's just for gaming.
Yes, I use it mostly for gaming and some Movies/TV and Computer audio.

I have a Beyerdynamic DT 990 600 Ohm headphone but I use that for Vinyl and CD never for PC audio. My every day headhone is the Sony MDR 7506 and that sounds great with the Titanium.

That Titanium is 9 years and doesn't want to fail. It is the Oldest hardware in my Rig.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 07:23 PM   #48
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Wouldn't touch it. If you have any issues with driver support, you could look for some 3rd party drivers. I have no idea if that's a thing, but I'm sure some googling could find an answer.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2021, 07:38 PM   #49
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Btw, do any of these sound cards have physical volume adjustments, or are you adjusting your volume in Windows?

Because if you're using software, you're technically losing more bitdepth by turning the volume down than anything mp3 would do to a file.

This is assuming you could even tell the difference between software clamping, and a physical adjustment though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2021, 03:10 AM   #50
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by metroidfox View Post
Btw, do any of these sound cards have physical volume adjustments, or are you adjusting your volume in Windows?

Because if you're using software, you're technically losing more bitdepth by turning the volume down than anything mp3 would do to a file.

This is assuming you could even tell the difference between software clamping, and a physical adjustment though.
I wonder if you can minimize that by simply running at higher bitrate to compensate for any potential loss vs your source and your volume level.

*late edit*. It does make me wonder though if the headphone outputs and speaker outputs on soundcard handle it differently.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit

Last edited by Trunks0 : Jun 14, 2021 at 01:03 PM. Reason: later edit. Nvm on the striked out part.
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2021, 02:38 PM   #51
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Well turns out my wife did gift me the Edifier R1280Ts. So now I need a new sub woofer. These Edifiers definitely are an improvement over the Z-2300 but I am used to that added low-end punch from the sub.

Didn't feel like going through all the researching so just ordered the Edifier T5. Should have it in a few days.