Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Radeon Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Radeon Technical Support Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Old Apr 14, 2001, 04:38 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
BARNY

BARNY is still being judged by the masses

I own a p3 550 setup now and it works great but I want to build a new one. I just finished helping a friend build up an 800 DURON computer and was very impressed with it.he had no video problems with it as he used a VOODOO 4. I am going to use my RADEON 32 DDR WITH IT- Whats involved in getting it going on the VIA chipset. THX
Old Apr 14, 2001, 06:56 AM   #2
UT-CS&QIIIRules
Radeon R200

UT-CS&QIIIRules is still being judged by the masses

hey man.. u into Ocing?. get a duron 700 or 750 they OC much better than 800s i see people get 750s to 1333. but u should run it. why not get a ddr system?. ok maybe not... but with a via chipset i havent had 1 problem. im running a duron [email protected]
Old Apr 14, 2001, 10:13 AM   #3
Chicane-UK

Chicane-UK is still being judged by the masses

There really arent many issues with a Radeon & VIA combination - the only problems were with older KX133 VIA chipped boards, but they arent sold any more.

Get somthing like an Abit or Asus board, use the latest 4 in 1 drivers / Radeon drivers, and you should be fine
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 14, 2001, 11:17 AM   #4
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

If I was building a new system these are the two mobo's that would be my final choices:

http://www.asus.com/products/Motherb...266/index.html

http://www.asus.com/products/Motherb...133/index.html

I own an Abit KT-7 RAID but my next mobo will be an Asus, they are still the best for stability and quality. The Abit KT7A-RAID is a nice mobo as well, that would be my third choice.

All in all I think the best mobo is the A7M266, yea I realize the AMD chipset is hardly popular and more expensive but it is worth it. The stability and speed are second to none.

Also check this mobo out, it has some interesting features like being able to use SDRAM or DDR SDRAM

http://www.asus.com/products/Motherb...266/index.html

Last edited by Skynet : Apr 14, 2001 at 11:23 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2001, 12:00 PM   #5
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

Save some cash and get an Epox. They're damned good overclockers. Also get a good hsf if you're gonna oc. I'm pretty sure that's why I can't get my rig to higher speeds.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
Old Apr 14, 2001, 02:10 PM   #6
BARNY

BARNY is still being judged by the masses

Default loading via drivers

the main issue I have is the order in which you load drivers.Do you have to load via 4-1 drivers? Do you load them first? Is their a good alternative to a VIA based MOBO for an AMD cpu? I have read theads addressing these issues but cant seem to find them[search isn't working that well]. THX
Old Apr 16, 2001, 12:53 PM   #7
Mattster

Mattster is still being judged by the masses

Barney: Here are some instructions that someone posted a while back here in the forums, that I have modified slightly. I have built 3 systems for some of my customers and all of them have been rock solid, following these directions to a "T".

*Disable AGP 4x in BIOS (Can try with it enabled, but if instability is present after driver install, disable this in BIOS)
*Started Win2K install
* Ran through the install of Win2K
* Immediately after the win2k install, install the following VIA drivers from ViaHardware: INF 1.02B, AGP405, NIRQ 1.3A. I did not reboot until after all 3 were installed.
* After this reboot, I installed the following Win2K HotFixes: Q260233 (ATA100 Support patch) & Q261606 (VIA chipset W2k AGP fix). Wait to reboot until the second one is installed.
* Installed the drivers for my SB Live 5.1 off of the CD (can use current set from the web as well) and rebooted.
* Installed the drivers and all utils off my ATI CD. The current CD is software release 1.07. Rebooted after this was done.
* Tested TV and DVD playback. Both worked fine
* Enabled DMA on CD-R and DVD drives and rebooted
* Installed Win2K SP1. Rebooted.
* Installed remaining compatibility updates, high encryption pack and rebooted.

(The following steps are optional, but are required if using CD release 1.07)
* Installed DX 8.0A and rebooted
* Tested TV and DVD playback. Both worked fine.
* Installed latest DirectX 8 driver from ATI CD and reboot.

Credit for the original post of this info goes to SFuller. I changed a couple of things in it, to suit the systems I was building at the time.

Hope this helps out!

Old Apr 16, 2001, 05:07 PM   #8
Firestar_3x
The Grand Master!

Firestar_3x is still being judged by the masses

i've had very few issues with my setup, just don't get a SB-Live sound card, I had to change mine to a Game theater xp (Which is great, nuch better than a SB-Live). apart from the sound card my computer is top.
Rig 1: AMD 64 3500 - Phase Change Cooled / Abit AV8 3rd Eye - Watercooled Chipset / 2048Mb Corsair XMS 3500 Cas 2 / NEC 3500 DVD±RW / Enermax Noisetaker 600W / x800 XT - Watercooled / 2x 74GB WD Raptors In Raid 0 / 2x 200Gb SATA WD 8Mb Cache / Creative Audigy 2 ZS / Logitech Z-680's / Lian-Li PC-75 / Vapochill PE / Waterchill KT12-L20 / 2x Viewsonic VX2025VM X Series 20" LCD Monitor / Func 1030 / Logitech DiNovo.

Home Cinema: Panasonic TH-42PW6 42" Plasma TV (HDTV + Progressive Scan) / Wall Mount Bracket / Logitech Z680 Speakers / Toshiba SD340 DivX Multi-region DVD Player (Progressive Scan) / X-box 360 / Playstation 2 / Aver Media STB-3 / Sky Digital / Progressive Scan Interconnects / Optical Audio.

Bender / Futurama - How about you interface with my ass, by biting it!
[email protected] Member Rank
Old Apr 17, 2001, 02:51 AM   #9
JohnM
Harley Racer

JohnM is still being judged by the masses

Skynet,

I just switched from a KT7-RAID to an Asus K7M. My T-Bird is running at 1.5 in it & it is stable as a rock.

I absolutely love this mb & would recommend it very highly.
1024 Crucial DDR 3200
Adaptec 39160
Seagate X-15 Cheetah boot drive
Three 10,000rpm Cheetah's (73gig for video capture)
AUDIGY xp W/Klipsch 5.1
toslink connection to 5.1 surround sound W/two subwoofers
this sig was automatically shortened to meet the 10-lines max rule
Old Apr 17, 2001, 09:51 AM   #10
Wolf
The Man Who Wouldnt Be

Wolf is still being judged by the masses

have used both Abit KA7 and Asus A7V have yet to build a 266based system though however...the asus seems to be a more stable board for a home user..I put one in my dads computer and he has yet to have any problems (strange for a user like him) however if i were to buy I would get the Abit..softmenu III rules..then again both of those are expensive, someone mentioned epox, I havent used epox for an athlon based system but I've heard lots of good things about them. I have used epox previously on a socket 7 based system and it was great I loved that board.
epox also costs less then both asus and abit (at least where I'm from)
good luck