Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Aug 7, 2005, 09:40 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Rickenbacker
Banned

Rickenbacker is still being judged by the masses

Default Thinking Of Building An AMD Gameing Rig

I want the 7800GTX on the system. I want a cost effective processor that can overclock very well. If I wanted to stay at 1200 or under what would you suggest? I would need everything involving the tower down to the case and psu...
Rickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 10:04 PM   #2
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

$1200? I don't think so... The A64 rig in my sig was $1400 for the tower, and that's with an X800 XL - half the price of a 7800GTX.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 10:06 PM   #3
Rickenbacker
Banned

Rickenbacker is still being judged by the masses

it can be done...you have 2 gigs of ram by the way
Rickenbacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 7, 2005, 10:09 PM   #4
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickenbacker
it can be done...you have 2 gigs of ram by the way
And 2x 200GB HDs in a stripe
How anyone could possibly consider building a new PC for gaming with anything less is beyond me. My A64 system pees all over my P4 system (single-threaded performance, of course), even stock and with both systems using the same video card.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2005, 11:38 PM   #5
m3talc0re
Radeon Evergreen

m3talc0re is still being judged by the masses

ShaidarHaran, what's the code for making the spoiler with naming it and putting text in it? Thanks...

"The real hell is your life gone wrong."
m3talc0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 12:07 AM   #6
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3talc0re
ShaidarHaran, what's the code for making the spoiler with naming it and putting text in it? Thanks...
http://www.rage3d.com/board/misc.php?do=bbcode
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 02:58 AM   #7
DarkPretender
Radeon Volcanic Islands

DarkPretender is still being judged by the masses

1200? You got it!

Pick out a nice socket 939 pci express board (I suggest SLI setup for that future upgrade). Say $170
Venice 3000+, overclocks like a champ. Ive got mine running about equivilant to a FX-55 right now. Thats only $150 at newegg.
7800GTX, whats that run for...about $600?

That leaves you about 300 to pig out on memory, and all the other stuff...yeah, you cannot do it. The problem is the card your shooting for. Unless you already have a harddrive, tower, psu, dvd burner/rom. If you have all that, then 300 on good memory, I recommend 2 gigs. Runs everything sweet. I have some nice OCZ which was $263 at the egg...but you can get 2 gigs for under $200.
DarkPretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 03:23 AM   #8
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Monitor, keyboard & mouse too? That's quite a shopping list for $1200.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote