Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Aug 3, 2006, 04:00 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
bazzar

bazzar is still being judged by the masses

Default totally lost clue. pro, xl, gto, hm, etc..

hi, its time again to buy a new card but gone the good old times where you could chose between vanilla and pro. today you need to choose between:

SE, LE, PRO, XT, XT PE, XTX, GT, GTO, GTO2, XL, HM
all seen on ati cards.

what does all these mean and is there an actuall performance order?

SE: second, starter edition?
LE: light edition?
PRO: PRO
XT: XTreme?
XT PE: XTreme personal, private, power, premium, platinum edition?
XTX: XTremeX? lol
GT: ?
GTO: not talking about cars eh?
GTO2: ?
XL: xtra large?
HM: things that make you go hm?

please help
bazzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 04:02 PM   #2
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Most of those are not abbreviations. They have no meaning. The only ones that do have meaning are AIW (All In Wonder) and HM (Hyper Memory).

XTX is the highest model right now. XT just below that. GTO, Pro, and XL vary from generation to generation. The rest are dsignations for entry-level cards.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 06:26 PM   #3
Drexion
Radeon Sea Islands

Drexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzar
SE, LE, PRO, XT, XT PE, XTX, GT, GTO, GTO2, XL, HM
SE = special edition
LE = limited edition
Pro = professional edition
PE = platinum edition
OC / KO (nvidia) = factory overclocked

Don't let those marketing tags fool you into thinking they are good deals, or bang for the buck etc. Best to check official benchmark / review sites first.
Its merely a way of differentiating between cards.

From best to worst its _usually_ something like
XTX PE > XTX > XT > Pro/GT > XL/GTO.

The GTO2 (usually) has unlockable pipes, unlike the GTO. This is not always 100% a sure thing.

These can change from generation to generation - its best to ask on a forum like this if you are unsure about a purchase.
[Proc: Intel Core i7 [email protected]][GPU: MSI GTX980Ti 6GB][Mem: 64GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 2666-DDR4][Mobo: Asus X99-A][HD: Samsung 500GB SSD 840 EVO][PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W G2][Audio: Yamaha RX-V673 7.2/JBL 7.2 Surround]
Drexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 3, 2006, 07:25 PM   #4
Rad2owns
Rage3D Vet

Rad2owns is still being judged by the masses

How much do you want to spend.
If its around 400.00 wait for the X1950XT.
If you Fold The Cure will Come!!!!!
Fold On Forever!!
http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...00CC&c5=FFFFFF
Your Thoughts Will Define Your Destiny.
Hidden variables are everywhere.
BF3 KOz1
Rad2owns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2006, 10:09 PM   #5
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
XL: xtra large?
HM: things that make you go hm?
hahahhaa I liked these two a lot.
I should get me some x1800 xtra large.

I hope pizza is included in the things that make you go hm

Quote:
GTO: not talking about cars eh?
GTO2: ?
I have no idea what GTO stands for and actually thought they got it from cars as well.

Quote:
the "PowerColor X800GTO". Now, don't get confused with the extra "O" at the end. ATI and NVIDIA are typically releasing many graphic chipsets with all kind of weird letters and numbers attached to it, making it look like a new product. But, most of the time, it is the same stuff, with some specifications such as Pixel Pipelines, Memory Width and the Core/Memory clocks speed having some small modifications. Here, the extra "O" stands for extra pixel pipelines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 02:31 AM   #6
bazzar

bazzar is still being judged by the masses

thanks for your answers.

so im running good with a RX1900GT? (not soo many choices in my local store)
bazzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 07:44 AM   #7
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

The X1900 GT is a good card, but better cards will be out in a couple weeks in the form of the X1950 GTO, XT, and XTX. Unless you find a great deal on the GT, I'd say hold off.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2006, 05:22 PM   #8
blindskaters3
Radeon R700

blindskaters3 is still being judged by the masses

soo confusing!

i say we just called em by what they are..
Barton [email protected] - 1gig Of Corsair ValueRam - Ati 9600XT - Abit Nfs-s V2
Home Theater:
Pioneer 50" Plasma - Sky HD Plus via HDMI - Xbox 360 - Pioneer UpScaling Dvd - Pioneer VSX-916-S Amp To 7.1 Speakers
My Bike Shop!
blindskaters3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:53 AM   #9
cvearl
God uses ATI.

cvearl is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
The X1900 GT is a good card, but better cards will be out in a couple weeks in the form of the X1950 GTO, XT, and XTX. Unless you find a great deal on the GT, I'd say hold off.
Are you sure that the 1950 based cards are in a few weeks? I thought it was more like October or November before they hit shelves...

Because the X1900GT is getting so good in price I too am having a hard time "holding off". I have done that before and a few weeks turned into a few months. And then waiting another few months for the price to become resonable (like the X1900GT is today) resulted in my picking up an nVidia card.

If the price is super on the X1900GT and you need one now I would just get it. I can wait if I have to as I already have an X800XL in my ATI system that will be fine till the 1950's arrive.

But even I am getting impatient and the price just keeps getting better on the X1900GT. Arrrgggg.....

C.

Welcome to Flight sim 2012 - http://youtu.be/rmZNMjn30XQ

The add ons...

Planes - http://www.carenado.com/CarSite/Port...ccion=products
Scenery - http://fullterrain.com/
Enviroment - http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/
Hardware - http://www.saitek.com/
cvearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:58 AM   #10
cvearl
God uses ATI.

cvearl is still being judged by the masses

***EDIT***...

The inquirer...

"X1950XTX, or ATI's R580+ is set to be launched at a games convention on the 23rd of August. The samples are going to be ready even earlier, in the middle of the month.
Production cards in volumes are expected some two weeks after the sample phase and so they'll be available to buy in the last week or August.

The second wave, powered with RV560 and RV570, the new Radeon X1900 GTO is expected in September time, and the cards should be out by the end of the month. We can bet that Nvidia is also preparing a refresh of its cards but we still don’t know what is set to replace G73 and the like cards. We are anxious to see the G80 in action."

So ya. Under best conditions, for most people the X1950GTO is not likely until early October except through online vendors in late September. And then probably a month or two before pricing comes down a little if price is a factor.

A few weeks is actually 2 to 3 months from now.

The X1900GT looks pretty good if you need a card ASAP.

C.

Welcome to Flight sim 2012 - http://youtu.be/rmZNMjn30XQ

The add ons...

Planes - http://www.carenado.com/CarSite/Port...ccion=products
Scenery - http://fullterrain.com/
Enviroment - http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/
Hardware - http://www.saitek.com/
cvearl is offline   Reply With Quote