Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Sep 11, 2008, 08:21 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Default Please recommend a good but cheap combo

I need:

CPU
MOBO
RAM

Would be used for gaming but bang for the buck is paramount. Thinking of an Intel 775 platform for CPU.

Thanks!
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 08:53 AM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Obviously some wiggle room if you drop down to non-quads, and 2gb of ram. But thats what I'd consider best bang/buck.

Add in a HDT-S1284 for cooling of either for most OC potential.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 09:13 AM   #3
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Thanks, Jim!

Any good combos/deals on dual cores and 2GB RAM? I know Quad's the way to go but I counting pennies on this one.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 11, 2008, 09:17 AM   #4
Crucible
Radeon R420

Crucible is still being judged by the masses

I just built a machine for my son:

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail
Item #: N82E16820231122
$79.99

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor Model BX80570E8400 - Retail
Item #: N82E16819115037
$169.99

GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Item #: N82E16813128337

$84.99

Order Total $343.94
Crucible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 09:24 AM   #5
acroig
Troll SMod

TY, Crucible. Looks like Jim's RAM is fater/cheaper today. I'll look into the CPU/MOBO.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 09:29 AM   #6
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

You know my personal preference would be the AMD version, good job offering both. I would however differ with you, the S1284 as silly as it seems does not seem to perform any better than the 1283, get the 1283 instead is my advise.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233003

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 09:42 AM   #7
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

They're the same price. only difference is 1283 is free shipping to get rid of stock, I guess.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 09:42 AM   #8
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisler View Post
You know my personal preference would be the AMD version, good job offering both. I would however differ with you, the S1284 as silly as it seems does not seem to perform any better than the 1283, get the 1283 instead is my advise.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835233003
HSF? Right link?
Old Sep 11, 2008, 09:51 AM   #9
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

AMD

Intel

Don't know about how well the Intel one will do for OC'ing, but its cheap!
Old Sep 11, 2008, 09:56 AM   #10
acroig
Troll SMod

Awsesome, Jim, thanks!!

EDIT: You'd go with the AMD setup?
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:19 AM   #11
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

AMD rig, though let me do some more playing and see if theres another option.

EDIT - not sure how the bang/buck is working here, but interesting:

Last edited by caveman-jim : Sep 11, 2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:37 AM   #12
acroig
Troll SMod

I know nothing of the new Phenoms so I'll need all the advice I can get. I'll probably skip the HSF though unless the included one is total crap.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:46 AM   #13
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

My X2 5000 BE didn't come with a HSF, I'm not sure if thats still a feature of the Black Edition series or not.

More I think about it, more I'm leaning towards the X2 5400. Just need a HSF; maybe this for a bit of a money break.

Ah ha! Heres the money shot:

This right here is how AMD makes sales. Compare this to the Intel Pentium dual core setup I posted above.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:48 AM   #14
acroig
Troll SMod

That sounds excellent, Jim, thanks!!
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:54 AM   #15
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

With the Phenom X3 now down near $100 it is getting really hard to suggest an X2. The X2 is still viable but for only a few bucks more you get an extra core. However the $100 price savings with the X2 setup is hard to ignore.

For third party heatsinks I would suggest using this site as a good gauge:

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:59 AM   #16
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Well you add a core and lose 300mhz... of course the efficiency increases in Phenom over previous gen address that a little, but $100 for losing 300mhz and gaining one core is hard to justify. Yay for BIOSTAR combos!

Here's the mATX version, for HTPC:

Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:19 AM   #17
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Yay for BIOSTAR combos!
Amazing!
Old Sep 13, 2008, 10:42 AM   #18
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Here's the mATX version, for HTPC:

Jim, it's all in the cart, can you recommend me a good/cheap PSU to drive that and a 4850?

TY!!
Old Sep 13, 2008, 11:07 AM   #19
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Old Sep 13, 2008, 11:59 AM   #20
acroig
Troll SMod

Got the Thermaltake with the $30 MIR. TY!!!
Old Sep 13, 2008, 12:00 PM   #21
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

& benchies when you finish your build
Old Sep 13, 2008, 12:03 PM   #22
acroig
Troll SMod

That's a promise. This will replace my youngest's rig (3700+ on an Asrock 939 Dual mobo) and the wife will inherit that with a 3850.

EDIT: $253.99 with shipping - $50 in MIR.

Last edited by acroig : Sep 13, 2008 at 12:35 PM.