Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old May 26, 2009, 06:41 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default I think I'm done with JRPGs

I used to be a huge fan, but lately I haven't enjoyed them as much. I loved The Last Remnant, but the excessive grinding, followed by the lame ending, really turned me off. Then there was the oh-so-tedious Star Ocean. And I tried to go through Breath of Fire IV, but all the run-around is annoying. And then there was Blue Dragon, that went from so easy it was boring to the impossible final boss that just left me like

I think I'm going to stick to shooters, racers, adventure games, fighting games, and American RPGs...
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 08:40 PM   #2
shai-tan
Radeon R520

shai-tan is still being judged by the masses

I haven't liked many of this generations J-RPG games. There's many more for the PS2 than there are for the current generation so it wasn't too hard for me to find a few I like.
shai-tan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 10:25 PM   #3
pahncrd
Stranger in a Strange LAN

pahncrd is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
I used to be a huge fan, but lately I haven't enjoyed them as much. I loved The Last Remnant, but the excessive grinding, followed by the lame ending, really turned me off. Then there was the oh-so-tedious Star Ocean. And I tried to go through Breath of Fire IV, but all the run-around is annoying. And then there was Blue Dragon, that went from so easy it was boring to the impossible final boss that just left me like

I think I'm going to stick to shooters, racers, adventure games, fighting games, and American RPGs...
Welcome to the club.

I hate JRPGs in general, mostly due to the archetypes and tropes prevalent in them, though I did enjoy Lost Odyssey quite a bit, and I am looking forward to finally playing Last Remnant.
pahncrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 26, 2009, 10:27 PM   #4
sMashPiranha
Radeon Volcanic Islands

sMashPiranha is still being judged by the masses

I don't like them as much as I used to when I actually had time to sit around for hours grinding.
sMashPiranha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2009, 10:44 PM   #5
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The biggest problem I've encountered lately is that in order to beat the final boss, you have you grind sooooo much that it makes every other enemy butt-easy. And grinding is not fun.
Old May 27, 2009, 12:18 AM   #6
Serotonin
Lacking details

Serotonin is still being judged by the masses

I haven't played a good jrpg since FF7.

I tried all of them since, except 11 and 12.

Square pretty much sucks these days, star ocean isn't half the series it was on psone, tales of destiny disappeared...

So yeah...I agree...jrpgs..actually about for the last 10 years have been crap.

Give me the days of Sega Saturn...Grandia, Dragon Force, Panzer Dragoon Saga...
Serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 03:11 AM   #7
CHIPS
The Overmind

CHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I started many JRPGs but haven't finished that many of them. Most of the stories start off good but gets boring in the middle somewhere. There are also too much grinding involved. I prefer the Guild Wars style much more.

"Humans in general are very self-interested, while expecting all other humans around them to be selfless."
"Sometimes, it is not about whatever you can do something or not. It is about, if you cannot do it, who else can?"
"A difficult task might stop you from getting it done. But it cannot stop you from trying your best."
"Who you hang out with is who you will become" "Do not act on feelings, but act on facts"
"It does not matter how other people sees you. What matters is how you see yourself." "Some pains are sharp, but short. Some pains are dull, but long."
"I killed you ten times with my knife and you killed me 13 times with a gun so I pwned you!" -Crawdaddy79
"Gorgeous white girls everywhere with that "I'M SOOO HOT AND YOU CAN'T HAVE ME" bullsh** attitude" -gts007
"If you wasn't in my way, I wouldn't have shot you" -Kamille Bidan, Zeta Gundam
"It is easy to give up. Anyone can do it. But I choose the hard path." -Beyond
"If women can't compete with video games for our attention its their problem, not ours." -sumpwa
CHIPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 04:57 AM   #8
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Yeah I'm the same these days, though Lost Odyssey is by far the best JRPG since the old days.
Old May 27, 2009, 07:57 AM   #9
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBaron View Post
Yeah I'm the same these days, though Lost Odyssey is by far the best JRPG since the old days.
It is just so underrated in the shadow of FF13, and it is the only JRPG that I have actually enjoyed in years.
Old May 27, 2009, 09:34 AM   #10
Encyclopedia_b
Purveyor of OFN

Encyclopedia_b is still being judged by the masses

i have an excersize bike that sits infront of my ps2. this is my genre of choice when i ride the bike.

i dont love them ... but they are the best genre for this as far as ive found.
Encyclopedia_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 09:46 AM   #11
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclopedia_b View Post
i have an excersize bike that sits infront of my ps2. this is my genre of choice when i ride the bike.

JRPGs would probably be great for that sort of thing, as would RTS, and Civilization type games (Civ Revolution on Xbox).
Old May 27, 2009, 09:50 AM   #12
Miikkrusoff
Rage3D Veteran

Miikkrusoff is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclopedia_b View Post

That sounds awesome.
Miikkrusoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 12:53 PM   #13
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Yeah Lost Odyssey is sooooo underrated. The most original JRPG in years.
Old May 27, 2009, 12:59 PM   #14
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
Yeah Lost Odyssey is sooooo underrated. The most original JRPG in years.
It makes sense since it is the actual true heir to the Final Fantasy franchise. The FF series has gotten progressively more shallow and less interesting, but Lost Odyssey was great and it is a shame that it will never get the recognition it deserves since it doesn't have Final Fantasy in the title.
Old May 27, 2009, 02:45 PM   #15
hazindu
I put the zin in Hadu!!!

hazindu is still being judged by the masses

Maybe my tastes are changing, or maybe JRPGs are changing, or maybe both, but I'm for the most part not enjoying modern JRPGs nearly as much as I did some time ago. I loved the SNES and PSX Final Fantasies, and many other games of that type, but I don't care for the modern Tales games, Blue Dragon, or any other recently released RPG I've tried. I did enjoy Eternal Sonata and to an extent Lost Oddysey, but I doubt I'll ever have a desire to play either again.
Old May 27, 2009, 03:24 PM   #16
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazindu View Post
Maybe my tastes are changing, or maybe JRPGs are changing, or maybe both, but I'm for the most part not enjoying modern JRPGs nearly as much as I did some time ago. I loved the SNES and PSX Final Fantasies, and many other games of that type, but I don't care for the modern Tales games, Blue Dragon, or any other recently released RPG I've tried. I did enjoy Eternal Sonata and to an extent Lost Oddysey, but I doubt I'll ever have a desire to play either again.
I think as we age a bit, our priorities change along with what we find interesting or important. These games are usually just a bunch of OC teenagers posturing and looking ultra stylish.

Standard jrpg characters...

I am much more interested in grittier games that either have a protagonist that I define myself, or a realistic and cynical one such as in Gothic. I am able to relate much better with those sorts of games, without being annoyed by the overly "cool" characters that dominate JRPGs, Anime and Manga.
Old May 27, 2009, 04:29 PM   #17
Ogrillion
Radeon R420

Ogrillion is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahncrd View Post
I think as we age a bit, our priorities change along with what we find interesting or important. These games are usually just a bunch of OC teenagers posturing and looking ultra stylish.
I am much more interested in grittier games that either have a protagonist that I define myself, or a realistic and cynical one such as in Gothic. I am able to relate much better with those sorts of games, without being annoyed by the overly "cool" characters that dominate JRPGs, Anime and Manga.
I agree 110%.. I mean I don't need a super manly character either but damn I dislike the only thing that separates some of these female / male characters are boobs.. =/

I havn't tried lost odyssy I will have to give it a shot then.. I remember it looking pretty cool, and then I got distracted with the other 100 games that came out around the same time.

I am playing right now tales of vesperia and I don't know i am enjoying that game. I find its one of the better ones that I played lately, the last jrpg I played was blue dragon, and I don't know I found I was so bored of the game by the end I just didn't care.. Just beat it, just to say I did didn't enjoy it at all lol
Ogrillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2009, 04:42 PM   #18
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrillion View Post
I havn't tried lost odyssy I will have to give it a shot then.. I remember it looking pretty cool, and then I got distracted with the other 100 games that came out around the same time.
I think I liked Lost Odyssey because the characters weren't douchy, and so I could connect with them and care about what happened to them... plus the story was actually pretty damned good. The first ten hours or so is slow because of how they have to portray the main character, but what they did was entirely required in the context of the story. From the second half of the second disc, it goes from good to amazing imho.
Old May 28, 2009, 01:15 PM   #19
CHIPS
The Overmind

CHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
It makes sense since it is the actual true heir to the Final Fantasy franchise. The FF series has gotten progressively more shallow and less interesting, but Lost Odyssey was great and it is a shame that it will never get the recognition it deserves since it doesn't have Final Fantasy in the title.
Another problem is it is not on the PS3.

"Humans in general are very self-interested, while expecting all other humans around them to be selfless."
"Sometimes, it is not about whatever you can do something or not. It is about, if you cannot do it, who else can?"
"A difficult task might stop you from getting it done. But it cannot stop you from trying your best."
"Who you hang out with is who you will become" "Do not act on feelings, but act on facts"
"It does not matter how other people sees you. What matters is how you see yourself." "Some pains are sharp, but short. Some pains are dull, but long."
"I killed you ten times with my knife and you killed me 13 times with a gun so I pwned you!" -Crawdaddy79
"Gorgeous white girls everywhere with that "I'M SOOO HOT AND YOU CAN'T HAVE ME" bullsh** attitude" -gts007
"If you wasn't in my way, I wouldn't have shot you" -Kamille Bidan, Zeta Gundam
"It is easy to give up. Anyone can do it. But I choose the hard path." -Beyond
"If women can't compete with video games for our attention its their problem, not ours." -sumpwa
CHIPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 01:19 PM   #20
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Problem for you guys
Old May 28, 2009, 01:19 PM   #21
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIPS View Post
Another problem is it is not on the PS3.
I think they should port it to PC and PS3, as hopefully more would get a chance to play it.
Old May 28, 2009, 05:25 PM   #22
Ogrillion
Radeon R420

Ogrillion is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I think they should port it to PC and PS3, as hopefully more would get a chance to play it.

Eerrr that is anti-fanboy talk how dare you want a good game to be experienced by all who can!!!
Ogrillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 05:27 PM   #23
pahncrd

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrillion View Post
Eerrr that is anti-fanboy talk how dare you want a good game to be experienced by all who can!!!
I'm sorry...
Old May 28, 2009, 05:33 PM   #24
zebra 204
Rage3D Manches Veteran

zebra 204 is still being judged by the masses

Blue Dragon was easy. All depends on what skills you learn and how you use them. The final boss did a maximum of about 27 points of damage and I felt bad for the guy and a I killed him in just a few turns. The king poo on the other hand was hard.

To Play List: Everything else
zebra 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 05:35 PM   #25
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

I thought the King Poo was cake. Hmm. Lemme see if I work up the desperation to grind up another 5 levels in Blue Dragon so I can actually beat him. I'm still not at peace with that game.
Old May 28, 2009, 05:49 PM   #26
zebra 204
Rage3D Manches Veteran

zebra 204 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
I thought the King Poo was cake. Hmm. Lemme see if I work up the desperation to grind up another 5 levels in Blue Dragon so I can actually beat him. I'm still not at peace with that game.
Maybe. I fought him with everyone at about level 70-72. But I grinded gold/platinum poos for 2 hours for SP with the Force Field II one day to earn all the skills and then tested them in different orders to see what made me the most unstoppable. I doubt someone with a life would want to do that.

Edit: King Poo was cake?! But he is a kazillion times harder than the actual boss fights and so are the magical dragons you can kill to earn the dragon bracelet. Your backwards mate!

To Play List: Everything else
zebra 204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2009, 06:00 PM   #27
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Nope. I killed King Poo on my second try, no grinding in between. Maybe its just a matter of how you specialize your characters.