Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Oct 11, 2011, 03:32 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwards

Default Thinking of building this! Need some feedback

Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K ($219.99)
Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100 ($125.00)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 ($169.99)
RAM: 2 x 4 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 ($79.99)
Graphics card: XFX Radeon HD 6870 ($179.99)
Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe ($138.00)
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB WD1002FAEX ($79.99)
Optical drive: Sony Optiarc AD-7260S ($25.98)
Power supply: Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 ($174.99)
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 650D ($189.99)
Monitor: Dell UltraSharp U2311H ($288.00)
Speakers: Corsair Gaming Audio Series SP2500 ($249.99)
Keyboard: Logitech Gaming Keyboard G110 ($65.00)
Mouse: Logitech G9x ($49.99)

Questions:

1. The HD 6870 is only in there to hold me off till the HD 7970, then I'll give the HD 6870 to my brother. But will his Q8300 bottleneck the HD 6870?

2. Should I just get the X-Fi Titanium or wait for the new Creative sound cards (i.e. Sound Blaster Recon3D)?

3. The X-Fi Titanium HD does not have 3.5 mm jacks like the X-Fi Titanium. How would I connect computer speakers to the X-Fi Titanium HD?

4. How does the U2311H monitor compare to the new replacement U2312HM? I can get the U2311H at a good price so should I just get that or wait for the U2312HM and pay a higher price?
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:24 AM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

(1) Yes, so overclock it or turn up the eye candy. It should still give a great game experience.
(2) I would wait, but I'm not a fan of Creative cards at all.
(3) IDK, no first hand experience.
(4) Don't know, but what is important to you about the specifications that makes you consider one over the other?
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:28 AM   #3
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

New stuff should be dropping pretty soon (a few months) so if the upgrade is not a priority, I would suggest waiting a bit.

But, the overall kit is not bad

I would strongly suggest a Xonar sound card over the Creative cards however.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:37 AM   #4
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwardsKain can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
(1) Yes, so overclock it or turn up the eye candy. It should still give a great game experience.
(2) I would wait, but I'm not a fan of Creative cards at all.
(3) IDK, no first hand experience.
(4) Don't know, but what is important to you about the specifications that makes you consider one over the other?
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
New stuff should be dropping pretty soon (a few months) so if the upgrade is not a priority, I would suggest waiting a bit.

But, the overall kit is not bad

What stuff is coming out in a few months? Ivy Bridge and the new GPUs? I heard Ivy Bridge is not a big leap over Sandy Bridge so I don't think it is worth waiting for. Am I wrong?
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:41 AM   #5
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
What stuff is coming out in a few months? Ivy Bridge and the new GPUs? I heard Ivy Bridge is not a big leap over Sandy Bridge so I don't think it is worth waiting for. Am I wrong?
We don't know yet what the improvements will be, but either way, it will be a newer product

Your call, but I am serious about the sound-card
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 08:43 AM   #6
sunnyd
Where's my Starcraft 3?

sunnyd is still being judged by the masses

Another vote for Xonar, as I have one and it's great. However, the recon3d sounds pretty sweet. And, as far as I know, creatives drivers have gotten much better now. Seems like a pretty nice system. I just built an i5-2500k in March and the chip is a beast. I have it running at 4.2ghz but since you are getting an h100 you should be able to hit 5.0 easy with reasonable temps.
sunnyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 01:55 PM   #7
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

First of all you could crossfire two 6870s and overclock the piss out of them and not come close to maxing out a 650w psu. I think that an 850w psu is overkill.
I think that the H100 is overkill too. An H50/60 is more than enough for sandy especially if you have some good fans kicking around.
For a HDD I would go with the cheaper Hitachi 7k1000.d that was just released. I would like to see a proper review but it should be the fastest 1TB HDD on the market.
I would have a hard time spending that much on the Corsair speakers when you can get something like the M-Audio BX5a for less money or an M-audio AV-40 for around $100.
With the money saved you could step up to the new dell U2412M for $320 or a SSD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Why? Its not as if Asus is famous for their software support either. The Xonar is not without issue either. Although I was generally pretty happy with mine aside from the lack of EAX support and the odd quirk here and there.

Last edited by BababooeyHTJ : Oct 11, 2011 at 02:12 PM.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2011, 02:27 PM   #8
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Considering the lack of EAX support it seems pretty much pointless to get a sound card these days. If you really want the best sound I would blow that money on better speakers before a sound card.

That $138 could also allow for a huge bump in your monitor or video card.

Windows 7 ultimate is also kind of a waste unless you are getting some special deal or already have a copy.

Quote:
Providing phenomenally accurate positional 3D audio over headsets or speakers, the Sound Blaster Recon3D PCIe sound card is powered by the new Sound Core3D quad core sound and voice processor. It provides hardware-accelerated THX® TruStudio Pro™ and CrystalVoice™ audio technologies. Engineered for low power consumption and high performance, the sound card’s Sound Core3D quad-core sound and voice processor is Creative’s first sound and voice processor to integrate a four-core high-performance digital signal processor (DSP) and high-quality HD audio digital-to-analog converters (DACs) and analog-to-digital converters (ADCs) on one chip.
its got a quad core. given the number of times they point it out in that paragraph Creative must be concerned their target market suffers from short term memory loss.

Last edited by aviphysics : Oct 11, 2011 at 02:37 PM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote