Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Feb 17, 2021, 08:06 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Default Upgrade advice needed

I'm looking to upgrade my current system. Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel i7 7700K @ 4.2Ghz, air cooled
Mobo: MSI B150A GAMING PRO (ancient, no M.2 support)
RAM: 16Gb DDR4-2133
Video: nVidia GTX 2080ti
Boot drive: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB (SATA-III)
Power: Corsair 650 Watt

I'll be keeping the 2080Ti but would like to move to a new mobo, RAM, M.2 boot drive, and AMD or Intel CPU (don't care which).

What's the best bang for the buck these days (besides KAC)?
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2021, 08:16 AM   #2
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

AMD 3600X / 5600X with 16GB of 3600 RAM?

Even though AMD prices have risen and some Intel options are similarly priced.

You saw all the good KAC got from his CPU "upgrade". IMHO 6 core/12 threads is where bang for the buck is ATM.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2021, 09:57 AM   #3
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I wouldn’t buy anything Zen 2.

You should try either 10700K w/ Z490 OR 5600X with X570 combo. Throw in some DDR4 3600 ram and make games your bitch.

If you are looking for high performance and longevity then go 10900K with Z590 board OR 5900X with X570 board.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 17, 2021, 10:02 AM   #4
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
I wouldn’t buy anything Zen 2.

You should try either 10700K w/ Z490 OR 5600X with X570 combo. Throw in some DDR4 3600 ram and make games your bitch.

If you are looking for high performance and longevity then go 10900K with Z590 board OR 5900X with X570 board.
He did say bang for the buck.....

yoz
Old Feb 17, 2021, 10:11 AM   #5
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Yes and 3 series is no longer one of them.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 10:16 AM   #6
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Yes and 3 series is no longer one of them.
Sure it is and the right mobo will take a Ryzen 5.

yoz
Old Feb 17, 2021, 10:19 AM   #7
KAC
It might be gays!

Check prices acroig. It is no longer a 160 bucks 3600. 3600X and above are even worse. At that price range only 5600X makes sense if you can find one. Otherwise spend 20-30 bucks extra for an Intel 10600K since it is 8-10% faster at 1440P. Check some Cyberpunk, Ass Creed, SOTTR, MS flight sim and Hitman benches. As you move up to 3700X and onwards it makes sense to buy a 10700(K) instead.
Old Feb 17, 2021, 10:29 AM   #8
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Check prices acroig. It is no longer a 160 bucks 3600. 3600X and above are even worse. At that price range only 5600X makes sense if you can find one. Otherwise spend 20-30 bucks extra for an Intel 10600K since it is 8-10% faster at 1440P. Check some Cyberpunk, Ass Creed, SOTTR, MS flight sim and Hitman benches. As you move up to 3700X and onwards it makes sense to buy a 10700(K) instead.
Mobo prices for Intel chipset is always the issue unless Munkus has a Microcenter nearby. And thanks AMD for raising prices!!

yoz
Old Feb 17, 2021, 10:48 AM   #9
KAC
It might be gays!

If he is not overclocking he can do what I did. 10700 and B460 motherboard. Gets the job done and has 2 M2 slots, Gigabit LAN and basic goodies. Still a 8-10% better story than 3600(X) and B550 setup.

A B460 starts at 65 bucks .
Old Feb 17, 2021, 11:24 AM   #10
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

There is also the subject of availability, looking at his setup the only thing that is going to give him anything is one of the overpriced cant find 3080/3090's. I would mention AMD as well but wouldnt recommend as I believe the 3000 series are better overall. But good luck getting any of them. Unless your willing to hunt day and night. Or pay the price!
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2021, 09:47 AM   #11
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
If he is not overclocking he can do what I did. 10700 and B460 motherboard. Gets the job done and has 2 M2 slots, Gigabit LAN and basic goodies. Still a 8-10% better story than 3600(X) and B550 setup.

OK, fair enough.

yoz
Old Feb 18, 2021, 05:37 PM   #12
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Wait a month for Rocketlake reviews then decide between 5600x/5800x or 11600k/11700k imo.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 06:07 PM   #13
LordHawkwind
Harbinger of Doom

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Quote:

Hate to say it but KAC is right on this one. Even Gandalfthewhite is recommending Intel CPU's for new builds because they are actually available and cheaper than AMD CPU's. Intel have gained market share on AMD purely down to availability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
There is also the subject of availability, looking at his setup the only thing that is going to give him anything is one of the overpriced cant find 3080/3090's. I would mention AMD as well but wouldnt recommend as I believe the 3000 series are better overall. But good luck getting any of them. Unless your willing to hunt day and night. Or pay the price!
He said he's keeping his 2080ti so he's not looking to replace his GPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
Wait a month for Rocketlake reviews then decide between 5600x/5800x or 11600k/11700k imo.
Forget 5600x/5800x as for more cores Intel are now cheaper. In UK 5600x is £350 and intel 10700K 8c/16t is £320. The 5800x is £480 and the 10c/20t 10850K is £410 and the Intel CPU's have lots of stock.
Ryzen 7 3800X, ASUS Prime X470 Pro, KFA2 RTX 3090 SG, 16GB Crucial DDR4 LPX 3000 Ram, iiyama G-Master GB3466WQSU 3440x1440 freesync 144hz, 250gb Samsung SSD, 750mb Seagate SSHD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda H/D, 1 TB Samsung H/D, 850w PSU, Windows 10
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2021, 06:13 PM   #14
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Pricing may be adjusted after Rocketlake release.
Old Feb 18, 2021, 06:20 PM   #15
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
Hate to say it but KAC is right on this one. Even Gandalfthewhite is recommending Intel CPU's for new builds because they are actually available and cheaper than AMD CPU's. Intel have gained market share on AMD purely down to availability.

He said he's keeping his 2080ti so he's not looking to replace his GPU.
AMD 5000 series CPU's are starting to be in stock regularly, at least at Microcenter for either the 5600X or 5800X.

Yes I know that's what he said, and if that's the case I dont believe upgrading anything is worth all that much. I would leave it as is. Maybe he would gain a little but not sure if it would be worth it. I would go cheap if that would be the case and get a 5600X ($299) it has been in stock at Microcenter for a good 2 weeks straight now.

Edit:
I stand corrected, it looks like the 5600X would give you a pretty decent bump with the the 2080 Ti

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vte9TA9mX_s

https://www.techspot.com/review/2135-amd-ryzen-5600x/

Last edited by Nascar24 : Feb 18, 2021 at 06:43 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 07:30 AM   #16
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Bang for the buck is subjective. You want something that will last, where you get your bang for the buck over the lifetime of the product, imo.

I'd wait for Rocket Lake to release in March, as the prices on the 10850K will drop further, and grab one of those. 10 core/20 thread will last you a long, long time. 32GB of 3200CL15, and a Z490 motherboard (you could use Z590, but prices went up a ton on that entire platform)

I would look for deals on Z490 boards now and grab from the ASUS STRIX line, or MSI Gaming Edge/Gaming Carbon.

The 5600X is a waste and won't last long term. Buying a 6core in 2021 is a bad idea, imo. There's a reason the 5600X has been relatively easy to find; why would I spent $300 on a 6core processor? Unless you're buying a 5900X or 5950X, the 5000 series are prices horribly.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2021, 07:36 AM   #17
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Dont agree on the 5600X being a waste, It performs up there with the best of Intel and is affordable, it all comes down to what you want to spend.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 07:38 AM   #18
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Dont agree on the 5600X being a waste, It performs up there with the best of Intel and is affordable, it all comes down to what you want to spend.
Seconded. Nunz likes top of the line CPUs and mobos (can't blame him) and yes, bang for the buck is subjective, up to a point.

Munkus, what you think so far?

yoz
Old Feb 19, 2021, 07:42 AM   #19
KAC
It might be gays!

Give us a budget and we can make a rig for you.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 07:44 AM   #20
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwardsNagorak can recite pi backwards

One thing I will say is don't get K SKU next time if you're going to get a non-overclocking board. If you don't want to overclock that's fine--there's less need to do it now than ever before since the CPUs are already so heavily tuned. But it doesn't make sense to pay the premium for a K and then run it at stock.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2021, 07:49 AM   #21
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
One thing I will say is don't get K SKU next time if you're going to get a non-overclocking board. If you don't want to overclock that's fine--there's less need to do it now than ever before since the CPUs are already so heavily tuned. But it doesn't make sense to pay the premium for a K and then run it at stock.
Right, good point. Price difference is usually what, $30?

yoz
Old Feb 19, 2021, 07:52 AM   #22
KAC
It might be gays!

Much higher on the boards. Totals can vary by up to 150 boners for a non over clocked option.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 08:15 AM   #23
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Seconded. Nunz likes top of the line CPUs and mobos (can't blame him) and yes, bang for the buck is subjective, up to a point.

Munkus, what you think so far?
It has nothing to do with top of the line CPUs. We are talking about longevity here, and anything with less than 8cores will not have that. The 5600X may do well now, but in 2 years? Doubt it. We already have a couple games seeing advantages with more than 8cores ..

Agreed on the K. If you get a non-K, don't buy a Z490 then; I believe it's B460 or something like that then.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Feb 19, 2021, 08:16 AM   #24
KAC
It might be gays!

Yes I just got a non K 10700. SC boost to 4.8 Gs and MC to 4.7 Gs. Board is B460. Cheap as shite.
Old Feb 19, 2021, 08:29 AM   #25
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Based on all this, plus my research online looking at benchmarks vs real-world fps, I could probably expect only a 15-20% bump in fps in most games. At 1440p, my CPU is limiting me slightly, but we're talking the difference between 100 fps and 120fps in many cases. I doubt I would notice that while playing. The 2080ti is a beast. If I was playing at 4K it would be a different story. Even then I'd probably be better off getting a 3080 or 3090 instead of a new CPU.

I'll just keep it as-is for now and wait awhile longer for the new CPUs.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2021, 08:32 AM   #26
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
It has nothing to do with top of the line CPUs. We are talking about longevity here, and anything with less than 8cores will not have that. The 5600X may do well now, but in 2 years? Doubt it. We already have a couple games seeing advantages with more than 8cores ..
Come on, I call you a high roller and you get nasty?

Kidding bro.

yoz
Old Feb 19, 2021, 08:37 AM   #27
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

Not to discourage anyone from upgrading but this currently is like the WORST time I have seen in the past decade to even think about upgrading anything.

Shortages are leading to record pricing for parts. New stuff is on backorder or is basically nonexistent. Bots are grabbing everything else.

I mean, if you can wait a while I think it'll be in your best interest.

EDIT: I hate to say this. I'm always for people upgrading their stuff but at this time it has become a real pain in the butt to do any upgrades. About the only things that are not on backorder are SSDs.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2021, 08:39 AM   #28
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
Not to discourage anyone from upgrading but this currently is like the WORST time I have seen in the past decade to even think about upgrading anything.

Shortages are leading to record pricing for parts. New stuff is on backorder or is basically nonexistent. Bots are grabbing everything else.

I mean, if you can wait a while I think it'll be in your best interest.
So true....

yoz
Old Feb 19, 2021, 09:05 AM   #29
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Come on, I call you a high roller and you get nasty?

Kidding bro.
Who's getting nasty?
Old Feb 19, 2021, 10:58 AM   #30
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Who's getting nasty?
KIDDING!!!!

yoz