Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 11, 2020, 09:43 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Ahahaha. 2 days later of grabbing a CPU my 5900X arrived in Dubai. lol. Will probably receive it tomorrow. **** me.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2020, 09:47 PM   #92
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Ahahaha. 2 days later of grabbing a CPU my 5900X arrived in Dubai. lol. Will probably receive it tomorrow. **** me.
Finally!

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2020, 10:14 PM   #93
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 12, 2020, 02:21 AM   #94
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

It’s out for delivery today. Man I really should’ve waited lol. Selling an AMD locally will be a bitch.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 02:24 AM   #95
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
It’s out for delivery today. Man I really should’ve waited lol. Selling an AMD locally will be a bitch.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 08:21 AM   #96
KAC
It might be gays!

Ok I think I need help again. I did nothing to this 5900X except:

Enable PBO
Set DDR4 to 3733
Set FCLK to 1866

Everything is running but hot damn it is idling at 60 C (max is 84 C in Real Bench - 2 C less than 5600X)
Voltage is about 1.48 typically. Voltage is bouncing around like a maniac.

Wtf? What should I do with this damn thing to:
1) Make it run cool at idle
2) Not apply 1.48 volts to the damn thing

Read some posts on forums and they say it is normal behavior. Well normal my ass. I can't have a 60 C idle CPU.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 08:34 AM   #97
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

You're loving the Ryzen experience, eh?

yoz
Old Dec 12, 2020, 08:40 AM   #98
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post

Over 500 posts in less than 25 days. You need to spend more time reading and researching and less time typing. Learn about how the new hardware works and the best way to configure it.

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2020, 08:44 AM   #99
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Just leave it alone and let it run. This is how it works.

I'm going to lmao if you sell everything for an intel side-grade now that you've already side-graded yourself once for your use case.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2020, 08:55 AM   #100
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Stick with intel if you want a better month one experience.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2020, 09:12 AM   #101
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

Enable PBO
Set DDR4 to 3733
Set FCLK to 1866

Everything is running but hot damn it is idling at 60 C (max is 84 C in Real Bench - 2 C less than 5600X)

Read some posts on forums and they say it is normal behavior. Well normal my ass. I can't have a 60 C idle CPU.

It's an 12 core CPU...What do you think ?
Old Dec 12, 2020, 09:14 AM   #102
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
It's an 12 core CPU...What do you think ?

My 3900X (12 core) idles at 28C
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2020, 09:15 AM   #103
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
You're loving the Ryzen experience, eh?
Now that the 12c /24t came he cannot go back to the shop and buy intel....
Old Dec 12, 2020, 09:19 AM   #104
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
My 3900X (12 core) idles at 28C

According to techpowerup graphs the load at stock is 67 C and oced to 4.5 ghz is 79 C

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...-5900x/20.html
Old Dec 12, 2020, 09:36 AM   #105
KAC
It might be gays!

Not sure where the hate is coming from. If you guys don’t want to help that is fine. Nobody is forcing you to read a thread that is explicitly about helping me overclock this CPU.

Anyways, I lowered the voltage to 1.3 manually and it is idling at 53 C instead of 62 C. From a performance standpoint I see it routinely boost to 4.95 single core and usually stays around 4.6-4.7 on most cores.

I have only set PBO to auto, FCLK to 1866, DDR4 to 3733 and volts to 1.3. Didn’t touch anything else. My timespy score jumped from 16.2K with 8086K to 17.76K with this processor.

I am unable to replicate Cinebench results but my Real Bench jumped from 175K on 8086K to 310K with this processor. Everything apart from Cinebench seems to be correct.

Will play some more. Also I have never seen Cinebench run this fast lol
Old Dec 12, 2020, 09:44 AM   #106
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Did you have EGS running when you had 60C idle temps?
Old Dec 12, 2020, 09:46 AM   #107
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
Did you have EGS running when you had 60C idle temps?
Yes I have it running all the time.
Just closed it and idle dropped to 46 C. Wtf? It was 53 C before. What does that have to do with anything?
I am still punching 1.3 volts only though. Everything seems stable. I may drop voltage to 1.25 and test next.
Game temps are 73 C in HZD.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 09:48 AM   #108
Mangler
PC

I think someone in the ryzen 5000 thread mentioned that having EGS running prevented him from having the CPU going Idle for real.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 10:00 AM   #109
KAC
It might be gays!

Sold my 5600X. Ate the 30 bucks loss.
Processor is good tbh. I think I can live with 73-75 C gaming temps. Just need to try and lower volts further and let it do its thing.
Closed EGS and its idling at 45 C.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 10:12 AM   #110
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Make sure to retest your performance benchmarks since you lowered voltage to 1.3. With my Zen 2 CPU when i lowered voltage to make it run cooler it also lost some performance. In the end after lots of testing i ended up just using a negative offset of -0.048. That was the lowest i could go on the voltage before Cinebench score started to suffer.

Don't worry about it running at close to 1.5v. It worried me at first too but that is normal operating voltage for Ryzen. I spent a good amount of time reading up on that.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2020, 10:39 AM   #111
Riptide

Riptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyRiptide can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Every ryzen I've had is all over the place constantly even at idle on voltage and temps spiking and drooping. Unless I shut off CPB, this is the outcome. I'm on a 280mm aio and this 5950x idles in the 40s and 50s, and it doesn't stay still for long either.

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT
Old Dec 12, 2020, 11:33 AM   #112
Nascar24
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra

Nascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwardsNascar24 can recite pi backwards

Quote:

Enable PBO
Set DDR4 to 3733
Set FCLK to 1866

I was having this problem while allowing the EPIC launcher to run, dropped 10c once I shut it down. Zen 3 idles hot, although I see 60c as excessive I Idle around 50c and not at all worried about it. It tops out at 80c in game. I posted an article somewhere in the 5000 thread that states yes Zen 3 runs hot. At least it isnt only me with the EPIC Launcher, maybe they just did an update and its jacking with Ryzen, I now am not running it at boot until that is sorted at some point.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2020, 11:45 AM   #113
KAC
It might be gays!

Well I managed to do some stuff. In games it is boosting till 4.8 Gs and sometimes hits 4.95 Gs when I put load on it.

Max temps when benching hard (like Real Bench stress test) is about 84 C. For most benches it is typically around 80 C.

Max temps while playing Cyberpunk for 1 hour is about 70 C. HZD bench will put it at 73 C tops.

It is now idling at 45 C. I put volts to 1.25 volts for daily use. My real bench jumped from 310K to 319K. I didn't try other benches but my game FPS remained the same (tested ACO, FCND and HZD).

I think I will leave it here for now and see what's up.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 03:37 PM   #114
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
Well I managed to do some stuff. In games it is boosting till 4.8 Gs and sometimes hits 4.95 Gs when I put load on it.

Max temps when benching hard (like Real Bench stress test) is about 84 C. For most benches it is typically around 80 C.

Max temps while playing Cyberpunk for 1 hour is about 70 C. HZD bench will put it at 73 C tops.

It is now idling at 45 C. I put volts to 1.25 volts for daily use. My real bench jumped from 310K to 319K. I didn't try other benches but my game FPS remained the same (tested ACO, FCND and HZD).

I think I will leave it here for now and see what's up.
Would you re-run your games benchmarks so I can compare with 5600x and 8086K plz?

yoz
Old Dec 12, 2020, 08:27 PM   #115
KAC
It might be gays!

5900X is 1-3 FPS higher than 5600X which was 1-5 FPS higher than 8086K.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 08:54 PM   #116
Riptide

What is the general consensus as far as enabling 2T and disabling gear down mode vs. 1T and keeping it enabled?

Ryzen 5950X
32GB GSkill PC 3600
ASUS TUF X570
ASRock Phantom 6900 XT
Old Dec 12, 2020, 08:55 PM   #117
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
5900X is 1-3 FPS higher than 5600X which was 1-5 FPS higher than 8086K.
Thanks.

yoz
Old Dec 12, 2020, 08:58 PM   #118
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
What is the general consensus as far as enabling 2T and disabling gear down mode vs. 1T and keeping it enabled?
I don’t even know what gear down is but my ram runs 1T automatically.
Old Dec 12, 2020, 09:08 PM   #119
KAC
It might be gays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Thanks.
Some examples.

ACO
5600X - 92
8086K - 92
5900X - 93

HZD
5600X - 130
8086K - 130
5900X - 132

Old Dec 12, 2020, 09:26 PM   #120
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
On my Z370/8700K system, 1T provides a small performance increase. Tightening RAM timings netted an even larger increase. The gains from RAM tweaking tend to be small but cumulative. Curiously, I found that I actually had to lower some of the (inflated) XMP voltages back to normal in order to get 1T to run reliably on my previous Z170 system. Eventually, I got my 32GB G.Skill Hynix MFR DDR4-3200 CL16 kit running at 3333MHz CL15-16-16-32 (@1.36v), with read over 51,000 MB/s, write over 50,000 MB/s, and copy over 48,000 MB/s in AIDA64. However, for gaming, such increases in RAM speed likely make a negligible difference if the system is GPU limited.