Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Dec 15, 2020, 01:02 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Falck
Radeon R520

Falck is still being judged by the masses

AMD Just bought a 5800x.

Soo, I just bought a 5800x. Only one that was in stock in the country.

Going from a 3900x. The most demanding thing I do is gaming, no rendering, no picture editing, just gaming and surfing. Occasionally I watch some videos.

Was this a stupid move? I see "everywhere" the reviewers "don't understand the 5800x as 5600x is in relative performance cheaper for gaming, and upwards for productivity 5900x is "only" 100USD more" (which is ~20% more?).

Now, my rationalization was the newer gen. consoles are 8/16. So I thought that would make more sense futurewise than a 5600x. Shure, the 5600x might be very good at gaming today, but what about 2-3 years from now? Won't it make more sense now that the consoles are homogeneous alike PC hardware that developers will develop (duh...) "more threaded" games?
Falck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2020, 01:08 AM   #2
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Should've gone 5900X. That's what I did. 5800X didn't make any sense to me. And you are downgrading from a 12 core to 8 core CPU.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2020, 02:40 AM   #3
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

I think you did well, on average it's a whisker faster than 5900x for gaming according to TPU, and two more cores than 5600x for longevity.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...-5900x/16.html
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 15, 2020, 04:01 AM   #4
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...-5800x/23.html

Quote:
Actually, Ryzen 7 5800X might be the better choice for some scenarios over the Ryzen 9 5900X because the 5800X crams all its eight cores into a single CCD, whereas the 5900X uses a 6+6 dual CCD design. Communication between CCDs has to pass through the IO die and runs at higher latency, which costs a little bit of performance. Looking at our benchmarks, we see this effect in many single or low-threaded applications. The problem seems to be that the Windows Thread Scheduler sometimes moves the application onto another CCD, which means the process has to pack up everything on its current CCD, move to the other CCD, and spin up the workload again. This looks rather like a Microsoft issue than an AMD problem, though.

In their presentations and launch event, AMD has been making noise that they won gaming leadership from Intel. My results are not as convincing, but kinda close. In our mix of 10 games, the Ryzen 7 5800X is around 2% behind the Core i9-10900K across all resolutions, a tiny bit faster than the Ryzen 9 5900X. The advantage over the 5900X certainly comes from the single-CCD design, but it's not big enough to lose any sleep over it. Against Intel, there are more pronounced differences in specific games. Especially Far Cry and Assassin's Creed have always been challenging for Ryzen. Other titles are almost a tie, and in games like Wolfenstein and Sekiro, AMD has indeed taken the performance crown.

I'm not sure if it's the selection of tests or the fact that we're running memory at 3200 MHz and AMD's numbers are at 3600 MHz, the silicon lottery, or something else. I even updated to Windows 20H2 for the scheduler improvements, as the Windows thread scheduler in version 1903 will definitely put loads on the wrong Zen 3 cores (I tested it). The performance loss without the update is a few percent, so make sure to update your OS when upgrading to Zen 3.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 04:14 AM   #5
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falck View Post
Soo, I just bought a 5800x. Only one that was in stock in the country.

Going from a 3900x. The most demanding thing I do is gaming, no rendering, no picture editing, just gaming and surfing. Occasionally I watch some videos.

Was this a stupid move? I see "everywhere" the reviewers "don't understand the 5800x as 5600x is in relative performance cheaper for gaming, and upwards for productivity 5900x is "only" 100USD more" (which is ~20% more?).

Now, my rationalization was the newer gen. consoles are 8/16. So I thought that would make more sense futurewise than a 5600x. Shure, the 5600x might be very good at gaming today, but what about 2-3 years from now? Won't it make more sense now that the consoles are homogeneous alike PC hardware that developers will develop (duh...) "more threaded" games?

We debated this matter and i post many videos in the disguised KAC remorse thread about this.Fortunetly KAC stired the stuff already on the forum so you just had all relevant info on the table.No point in debating now your choice.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 05:14 AM   #6
Falck
Radeon R520

AMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Should've gone 5900X. That's what I did. 5800X didn't make any sense to me. And you are downgrading from a 12 core to 8 core CPU.
Appreciate the input.

As I stated in my original post, I never do productivity. IPC gains doesn't matter? And I don't do nearly enough of "zippin" files to justify 12 cores and the +~20% "coretax" that comes along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
I think you did well, on average it's a whisker faster than 5900x for gaming according to TPU, and two more cores than 5600x for longevity.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/a...-5900x/16.html
This was my take on it also! Thanks =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
Thx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
We debated this matter and i post many videos in the disguised KAC remorse thread about this.Fortunetly KAC stired the stuff already on the forum so you just had all relevant info on the table.No point in debating now your choice.
Soooo, you're saying I did the most logical choice with my usecase? =)
Old Dec 15, 2020, 07:10 AM   #7
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

You had the material already posted.We had to help a newbie (KAC) in the Ryzen ecosystem.
KAC had a bit of drama with this AMD build.Acroig gave him some awards...KAC just surpassed himself this time around.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 08:19 AM   #8
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
You had the material already posted.We had to help a newbie (KAC) in the Ryzen ecosystem.
KAC had a bit of drama with this AMD build.Acroig gave him some awards...KAC just surpassed himself this time around.
Wait!? What!? KAC upgraded???? I've been working so much I haven't had time to lurk the forums.... Must troll now.
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 3080Ti Sixtuple SLI KAC Edition, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2020, 08:33 AM   #9
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
Wait!? What!? KAC upgraded???? I've been working so much I haven't had time to lurk the forums.... Must troll now.
Bitch please you missed out all the action. See my thread and drool on my pics in the pics thread.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 08:40 AM   #10
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
, +rep

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2020, 08:44 AM   #11
KAC
It might be gays!

By badsykes logic you should’ve just gotten a 5600X then.
Old Dec 15, 2020, 08:55 AM   #12
acroig
Troll SMod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Well you showed me that was money not well spent.

yoz
Old Dec 15, 2020, 08:58 AM   #13
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I myself like the 5800X. It's got higher boost clocks than the 5600X, and it's the highest quality silicon in AMD's line up right now (a full CCX).

However, given that you upgraded from a 3900X (i.e. max one year), you're not going to reap much of a difference between the 5600X and 5800X, let alone the 3900X and 5800X (unless you game at 1080p). Even then, you need a 3080/6800XT to get to the CPU's limits. You do seem to have a 6800XT though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2020, 10:41 AM   #14
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I meant that we have put enough information for you to be used by him to make a wise decision for himself.

Last edited by badsykes : Dec 15, 2020 at 10:50 AM.
badsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2020, 11:09 AM   #15
acroig
Troll SMod

Quote:
I meant that we have put enough information for you to be used by him to make a wise decision for himself.
Oh yes, very informative. KAC Hardware Reviews FTW!

yoz
Old Dec 15, 2020, 04:27 PM   #16
Falck
Radeon R520

Thanks for the input guys.

Well, the 5800x is in the motherboard and purring like a kitten. I need to do some testing to see if I'll keep it. Most likely I will