Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old May 10, 2021, 06:00 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
djsolidsnake86
Radeon R420

djsolidsnake86 is still being judged by the masses

Default Will using smart plug with a computer monitor cause any damage?

Using a wifi smart plug on a pc monitor, i was wondering if this will damage the monitor at all since turning it off is basically like unplugging the monitor while it's still turned on , it can damage the display electronics?
djsolidsnake86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2021, 07:12 AM   #2
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I've been using one of those smart power strips for years now and haven't had any issues. Although there's no wifi feature on mine. I've got my PC plugged into the control port that turns everything else on/off (including the monitor) when i turn on/off the PC.

Actually love using them. Really convenient and saves a bit of power too. I use several throughout my house and have definitely seen my power bill drop a bit.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2021, 01:34 PM   #3
kboye
9700PRO RIP

kboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultykboye can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

There are some issues here and there. My Samsung Odyssey G9 won't detect the Displayport source when power is cut then back on (instead of idle), literally have to shut down the PC, then power on screen, then power on PC. LG OLEDs use their standby time to compensate for pixel use ("pixel refresher"), cutting power to this would not be ideal. Some consoles do background updates, which can be useful at night.

Do like doing this for my simrig and the pincab
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 11, 2021, 03:50 PM   #4
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Not likely to cause an issue? Although your display might loose it's settings if it's powered off like that for long enough.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote