Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jun 13, 2021, 11:05 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Och
ATI Champion

Och is still being judged by the masses

Default Should Intel MEI drivers and firmware updates be installed?

I usually always install Intel chipset drivers, they are probably not as important as they were during Windows XP/7 days, but I still seek the latest version for my motherboards just to make sure proper drivers are installed for motherboard system components.

But what about MEI? There are usually MEI firmware updates, which are separate from the BIOS updates on most Asus boards, and then there are MEI drivers. I usually also install all of these, but I read that they can slow down performance. Are they needed?
Och is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2021, 11:12 AM   #2
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Install them. The performance loss is not noticeable, and if you want that performance back, you can use a program called InSpectre to turn off the protection. I have it off because I couldn't care less about Spectre or Meltdown vulnerabilities. They aren't aimed at home users. I thought Intel was dumb to push it out to everyone when it really is only worrisome for servers/workstations.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2021, 01:12 PM   #3
Och
ATI Champion

Why doesn't Asus just combine BIOS and MEI firmware updates, or do all motherboard manufacturers do this?
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 13, 2021, 01:35 PM   #4
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsNunz glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

It depends. Large MEI updates are usually included in new BIOS, but sometimes Intel will push out smaller ones that are done through Windows Update typically.

Most of the time, you already have the new MEI update, as it was automatically done through Windows Update.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Jun 13, 2021, 01:56 PM   #5
Och
ATI Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
It depends. Large MEI updates are usually included in new BIOS, but sometimes Intel will push out smaller ones that are done through Windows Update typically.

Most of the time, you already have the new MEI update, as it was automatically done through Windows Update.
I think you are confusing MEI driver and MEI firmware updates. Windows Update does not push firmware updates at all.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 02:02 PM   #6
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Windows Update does push firmware updates on many things. You just might not notice. It's sneaky like that

You're right though, I was talking about the MEI firmware; typically the ones you see in BIOS updates. I have seen Windows Update automatically download an MEI update, which was not the driver, but yeah, the driver itself is completely optional. I do not have it installed personally. I think I used to a long time ago, but couldn't notice a difference.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 02:08 PM   #7
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

For my Asus Z370 board I noticed that Asus releases either standalone MEI firmware updates or new BIOSes that contain a MEI firmware update.
I’ve never seen Windows Update push any MEI firmware updates either.

I keep all Intel stuff updated regarded of official releases and download everything chipset, storage and MEI related from the best source available. Constantly updated and has all the info needed (and more) in the forum, which is very responsive:

www.win-raid.com
Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2021, 03:44 PM   #8
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I just realized I'm talking about something else. The MEI and microcode updates are two different things. The microcode updates have been pushed through Windows Update before (and people have avoided them by delaying the update), but they were also being introduced in BIOS updates. This is why I brought up the Spectre/Meltdown stuff; I was thinking of a different acronym. MEI has nothing to do with the security vulnerabilities.

MEI.. I don't think I've ever installed the driver, nor sought out a firmware update. Interesting. I'll check it out and report back if I see any changes when I update.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 04:35 PM   #9
Och
ATI Champion

Quote:
I just realized I'm talking about something else. The MEI and microcode updates are two different things. The microcode updates have been pushed through Windows Update before (and people have avoided them by delaying the update), but they were also being introduced in BIOS updates. This is why I brought up the Spectre/Meltdown stuff; I was thinking of a different acronym. MEI has nothing to do with the security vulnerabilities.

MEI.. I don't think I've ever installed the driver, nor sought out a firmware update. Interesting. I'll check it out and report back if I see any changes when I update.
Microsoft can't just push MEI firmware updates, they are updated by writing ROM and can brick your motherboard if you update with a wrong file or interrupt the process.

Check your motherboards website for these drivers.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 11:48 PM   #10
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Install them. The performance loss is not noticeable, and if you want that performance back, you can use a program called InSpectre to turn off the protection. I have it off because I couldn't care less about Spectre or Meltdown vulnerabilities. They aren't aimed at home users. I thought Intel was dumb to push it out to everyone when it really is only worrisome for servers/workstations.

This is completely false about Spectre. One of the proofs of concept was an in-browser exploit.

https://www.wired.com/story/spectre-...of-of-concept/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2021, 04:54 AM   #11
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Still have yet to get hit by it. Use common sense when browsing the web and you don't run into issues. Proof of concept by Google researchers also does not mean it has been found to be injected that way in real-world.

Last edited by Nunz : Jun 14, 2021 at 05:08 AM.
Old Jun 14, 2021, 08:43 AM   #12
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Whenever I see a new MEI firmware I always create a new bios and added he firmware too it using the latest bios from Asus for whatever board I have at the time.

Then I just install the latest drivers.
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 3080Ti Sixtuple SLI KAC Edition, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2021, 12:22 PM   #13
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Och View Post
Microsoft can't just push MEI firmware updates, they are updated by writing ROM and can brick your motherboard if you update with a wrong file or interrupt the process.

Check your motherboards website for these drivers.
Not entirely true, I had an HP Laptop that a bios update was included in a windows update package.

To nobody's surprise it also bricked said laptop.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2021, 01:40 PM   #14
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I run a modded BIOS on my shitty old ASUS laptop and if I forget to delay the Windows Update, it'll flash back to the latest standard BIOS. It's annoying as hell
Old Jun 15, 2021, 08:47 AM   #15
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
I run a modded BIOS on my shitty old ASUS laptop and if I forget to delay the Windows Update, it'll flash back to the latest standard BIOS. It's annoying as hell
Just use DDU to permanently block it.
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 3080Ti Sixtuple SLI KAC Edition, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2021, 08:48 AM   #16
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
Just use DDU to permanently block it.
Yeah, that’s what I ultimately did.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 12:50 AM   #17
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
Still have yet to get hit by it. Use common sense when browsing the web and you don't run into issues. Proof of concept by Google researchers also does not mean it has been found to be injected that way in real-world.
Common sense browsing will do crap all. Stuff slips through the various ad services(even googles Adsense)

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i7 4770k @ 4.5Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2021, 12:31 PM   #18
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Yeah, the Internet is not a common sense place. It takes just a cursory investigation to realise how much crap happens without you knowing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2021, 07:10 AM   #19
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Always install latest Intel firmware and drivers to ensure that your PC is properly exposed to new vulnerabilities.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote