Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Feb 22, 2008, 05:21 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Mongolui

Mongolui is still being judged by the masses

Default Computer can't get past the XP loading screen

Recently my computer has stopped working in that Windows will not load. The computer boots up fine but after the XP logo finishes loading I get a blank screen and the computer just seems to stop working. I thought it may have been a problem with the installation so I used my Windows XP setup CD to try and rectify the problem, however that does not work either as when it gets to the part where it loads the setup it has the message down the bottom "Starting up windows" or something similar. It stays on this and doesn't move; I left it like that for 10 minutes or so and tried it three times and still no difference.

There is nothing wrong with the CD either, as I tried two copies yet they still have the same problem. Furthermore, I tried them on my 6 year old PC and they worked fine.

If anyone could provide a reason as to what the cause of this is it would be appreciated.
Mongolui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 08:32 AM   #2
-n7-
Radeon Arctic Islands

-n7- is still being judged by the masses

Try running chkdsk c: /r via BartPE: http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Worth a try anyway.

I'd also run the my usual testing tools, Memtest & MHDD or whatever bootable HDD test you prefer.

n7

n7
-n7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:12 AM   #3
Dr. Zhivago
Sound: Serious Business

Dr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwards

Can you boot to Safe Mode?
Dr. Zhivago is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 22, 2008, 04:12 PM   #4
Darkz0r
Italian Brazilian Rager

Darkz0r can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDarkz0r can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Heh, I had those sorts of issues after changing some BIOS settings (which shouldnt impact on anything, but they did)

Try loading failsafe bios settings and starting up.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 05:33 PM   #5
Mongolui

Mongolui is still being judged by the masses

Thanks for the replys. I set all the BIOS settings to default and it works fine now, thanks.
Mongolui is offline   Reply With Quote