Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Oct 23, 2002, 12:37 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Danielsan
Rage3D Veteran

Danielsan is still being judged by the masses

Default Universal standard requirement test program needed soon.

My hair has become gray, my teeth yellow from all the darn smoking and I am starting to shake badly based on all the coffee I had to drink recently in the attempts to make my 9700 work.

I´ve reformated and intalled xp several times, diagnosed with every known tool to human kind, checked for I/O´s, IRQ´s, memory handling, voltage settings, different AGP constilations, background application handlings and computer administrating management ressources.....everything to very little use, at some points my 9700 has been stable a whole night to fail stability the next day but success is my quest and I shall prevail in the end.

I envy my neighbour dearly, with a 260w PSU, some noname ram and tons of stuff attached to his PC he runs every game flawlessly on his 9700. I feel like kicking him for being such a lucky bastard.

I wish the standard developers would make a diagnostic utility which if passed would asure gaming and application compatibility on the respective computer. You would run the application which with every test in mind would supply a person with the necessary information to adapt the system to maximum and stable performance. Each and every application/game and piece of hardware would have to meet this tests requirements in order to be allowed public distribuition. If a PSU doesnt meet the tests strict voltage regulations it has to be redesigned and reviewed before seeing the hands of the consumer.

Just as an example 2 of the 5 motherboards I ve tested didnt boot with the Radeon 9700....this is outrageous and should never be allowed to happen, its only going to get worse I fear...many companies are doing their best for the money taking little consideration to the enduser.

I know some systems are working flawlessly with the 9700 but just as many have one issue or the other, some probably based on the users inexperience but just as many cases are based on incorrect specification based hardware.

Right now I feel as a sort of a beta tester, too bad I aint paid for being one.
.......cpu clocked to 3.5 ghz .. 333x10.5 on stockcooler.
Ram: 2 x 1 gb kingston PC5300 DDR 2
HD: 2 x 350 gb Maxtor HD plugged to sata, running IDE mode seperately
Graphics: Nvidia NGTS250 at default speeds.
Danielsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 01:05 AM   #2
AznGodspeed

AznGodspeed is still being judged by the masses

GO to a shop and ask them to install it hehe
AznGodspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 02:36 AM   #3
BrainPiercing
Tseng Labs ET500

BrainPiercing is still being judged by the masses

There is still the slight possibility that your card might be flawed.
IBM Deskstar 307030 30GB HD, Ultra ATA 100, 7200 RPM + WD something
60GB HD, Ultra ATA100, 7200 RPM + WD Caviar 120GB SATA133 7200RPM + Samsung 200GB Sata150 7200
Powercolor Radeon 9800pro STILL running 4.3 cats, and Arctic Cooling VGA Silencer
Onboard network cards; !!!Win98SE!!! (yes 200GB HDD on Win98 works fine :))
NEW: HP nx9420, T2400, x1600 256M, 1440x900, 1GB, 100GB HDD, XPPro.
BrainPiercing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 23, 2002, 02:40 AM   #4
Danielsan
Rage3D Veteran

Danielsan is still being judged by the masses

AznGodspeed,

you seem to miss my point. Even with standard issued installations from vendors a lot of problems can be encountered. With my experience of setting up computers in various schools I can tell you that hardware issues are often encountered when applying the latest software wether it is enduser applications or driver installations.

I can by no means expect a 100% bugfree based solution since one or another application or piece of hardware will cause a bit of trouble but the present solutions are in my oppinion very bad. RMA´ing should be an extreme measure in order to get something to work, not a common act.
.......cpu clocked to 3.5 ghz .. 333x10.5 on stockcooler.
Ram: 2 x 1 gb kingston PC5300 DDR 2
HD: 2 x 350 gb Maxtor HD plugged to sata, running IDE mode seperately
Graphics: Nvidia NGTS250 at default speeds.
Danielsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2002, 03:33 AM   #5
Bathrone
Radeon R420

Bathrone is still being judged by the masses

Why buy custom systems and then complain about support issues?

If you cant handle it, buy a Dell or similar.

The 9700 Pro, had some serious issues with drivers, but now with 6193 it seems reasonable, apart from some DirectX issues.

There is many test / diagnostic applications out there to help diagnose problems.
Bathrone is offline   Reply With Quote