Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Front Page News News and Rage3D articles as it appears on the frontpage.

Old Feb 7, 2006, 02:20 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Ratchet
The Tool

Ratchet is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber
Videocard Sapphire X800 GTO² Review

Sapphire has graced out pages once again in the form of an X800 GTO² review. Highly modable and with excellent overclocking, the GTO² has some serious potential for those looking for a cheap way to get into a high-end card. Does the modability provide enough power to make up for the lack of Shader Model 3.0 support? Read on to find out.
Since the summer ATI has released an entire series of next-generation parts in the form of their X1000 family that has helped ATI retake some mindshare back from NVIDIA’s 7-series. So, even though the X800 GTO is likely on its last legs now, and even though it’s decidedly last generation, it should still generate respectable sales from people looking for high performance at low prices.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 04:00 PM   #2
DanaG

DanaG is still being judged by the masses

If I were to build a system right now, that's what I'd definitely go with. Then again, a 6800GS sounds nice too, but I have no experience with nvidia cards at all. Given a choice, I don't know what I'd prefer -- noise, heat, and driver support (including Linux) are important, but I wouln't want to give up the auto-clocking and OSD of ATI Tray Tools.

One note: Please don't do subpixel hinting (ClearType) on prerendered images (like the graphs)! It looks awful on BGR LCDs, such as the ones in my college's CSC lab, and has no effect on CRTs.

Last edited by DanaG : Feb 7, 2006 at 04:04 PM.
DanaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 04:37 PM   #3
Ratchet
The Tool

Subscriber

ClearType looks much better on my CRT, but I will look into your suggestion.

I'll be changing the charts soonish from what I've been using recently anyhow.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 7, 2006, 04:47 PM   #4
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Nice review! I like the modded testing I'm looking to build a budget computer and a GTO² modded would be a major boost. Is there a 6800GS review (head-to-head/single test) anywhere in the future?
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 05:04 PM   #5
Spoon83
Radeon R300

Spoon83 is still being judged by the masses

ClearType on CRTs looks horrible. Basically simulates poor convergence.
Spoon83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2006, 05:19 PM   #6
Ratchet
The Tool

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim
Nice review! I like the modded testing I'm looking to build a budget computer and a GTO² modded would be a major boost. Is there a 6800GS review (head-to-head/single test) anywhere in the future?
Yep, we did a 6800GS review in early November:
http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/video/nvidia6800gs/
Old Feb 7, 2006, 05:20 PM   #7
Ratchet
The Tool

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon83
ClearType on CRTs looks horrible. Basically simulates poor convergence.
I like it better over aliased text. Personal preference I suppose.
Old Feb 7, 2006, 07:39 PM   #8
KJ
Classic Gamer

KJ is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Nice review as usual Ratch

I love the Candiens/Maple Leafs ending too

AND IT'S FOLDING FOR RAGE3D!
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2006, 06:36 AM   #9
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratchet
Yep, we did a 6800GS review in early November:
http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/video/nvidia6800gs/
Great, Thanks!
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 05:03 AM   #10
animekenji
Radeon R200

animekenji is still being judged by the masses

Default Sapphire using R430 in GTO2 now. :-(

Hop on over to Sapphires forums and you will see they are now shipping GTO2 cards with R430 cores. They are still unlockable to 16 pipes and some even ship already unlocked, but the R480 core has departed. The R430 core does NOT overclock as well as R480, obviously. Most people with the R430 cores are saying they do not overclock well at all and look to be pretty much set at or near max clock speed right out of the box. If you order one, and it does not have a power connector on board, then you have an R430. People are reporting the R430 cores come on blue Sapphire spec boards and say X800XL right on the chips (you have to remove the cooling unit to see this) and the R480 come on red ATi spec boards. So if you are looking for a GTO2, don't buy it blindly. Be sure you are getting a red ATi spec board with the R480 core on it.
animekenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2006, 11:24 AM   #11
Ratchet
The Tool

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by animekenji
Hop on over to Sapphires forums and you will see they are now shipping GTO2 cards with R430 cores. They are still unlockable to 16 pipes and some even ship already unlocked, but the R480 core has departed. The R430 core does NOT overclock as well as R480, obviously. Most people with the R430 cores are saying they do not overclock well at all and look to be pretty much set at or near max clock speed right out of the box. If you order one, and it does not have a power connector on board, then you have an R430. People are reporting the R430 cores come on blue Sapphire spec boards and say X800XL right on the chips (you have to remove the cooling unit to see this) and the R480 come on red ATi spec boards. So if you are looking for a GTO2, don't buy it blindly. Be sure you are getting a red ATi spec board with the R480 core on it.
Thanks for the info animekenji
It seems that these are coming already unlocked now as well.