Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Front Page News News and Rage3D articles as it appears on the frontpage.

Old Dec 3, 2007, 10:32 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Ichneumon
Lord of the Flies

Ichneumon is still being judged by the masses

Hard Drive Three Generations of Seagate - Comparison

Our staff caveman has been hard at work banging around in his cave with more hard drives than you can shake a club at. urf - ok that was ugly, but this article is not! Jim put together an excellent comparison including single and multiple drives in several different RAID configurations.

Check out Three Generations of Seagate - Compared.

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on. "
- Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
Ichneumon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 10:57 PM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Thanks, Ichy

I appreciate and welcome your comments, rep and feedback!
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 11:11 PM   #3
Bamboozled
Radeon Sea Islands

Bamboozled is still being judged by the masses

Wow! I was just looking for something like this.
Well done

Star Blazers theme
Bamboozled is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 4, 2007, 12:46 AM   #5
SD-[Inc]
Radeon Arctic Islands

SD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete strangerSD-[Inc] once held a door open for a complete stranger

Mines a ST3320620AS in device manager, how do I tell what version it is?
SD-[Inc] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 03:00 AM   #6
xNaquada
Radeon Northern Islands

xNaquada is still being judged by the masses

Google?
xNaquada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 07:25 AM   #7
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

When I purchased my two 1TB drives I actually had to return them a few times. I purchased 2 at first and both drives made a mechanical hum and would not be detected by any system, I took them back and got replacements. The next 2 would not power up at all. I replaced them again. One worked perfectly and the other would head crash with a nice clicking sound at startup and would not be detected, of course turning the drive up side down made the head crash stop and would be detected, but seatools failed on test immediately. I took it back and then tech tested it and said it worked fine. I of course saw he had the drive upside down and as I turned it back over the drive failed again and lost connection within Windows... He tried to tell me its an acutator issue but the drive is fine and refused to replace it... After an hour of arguing and me showing him the print out of the failed drive he gave me another one.... Thats 7 drive now and I've finally got 2x1TB 7200.11 in raid 0.

They more then likely just got a bad batch that someone probably dropped...
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 3080Ti Sixtuple SLI KAC Edition, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 08:23 AM   #8
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD-[Inc] View Post
Mines a ST3320620AS in device manager, how do I tell what version it is?
Put that code into the product code box on this page, and it'll give you all the information you need about your 320Gb 7200.10 16Mb Cache Barracuda SATA-2.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 08:46 AM   #9
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Thanks for the review, Jim! I would +rep you, but the system will not let me.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 09:48 AM   #10
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Excellent review caveman! And yes, the 500GB version of the 7200.11 32GB drives has dropped considerably. I was able to pick up one for $110 about a week ago, and you can find them for $120-$130 pretty easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapatingjaky View Post
Thats 7 drive now and I've finally got 2x1TB 7200.11 in raid 0.
Yeesh, you're a brave soul. I'm not sure I could bring myself to run a RAID0 array on that size of drive. I'd be saving up for one more for a RAID5 array. Hopefully you have a solid backup scheme in place.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 2007, 08:19 PM   #11
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHapatingjaky can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
Excellent review caveman! And yes, the 500GB version of the 7200.11 32GB drives has dropped considerably. I was able to pick up one for $110 about a week ago, and you can find them for $120-$130 pretty easily.

Yeesh, you're a brave soul. I'm not sure I could bring myself to run a RAID0 array on that size of drive. I'd be saving up for one more for a RAID5 array. Hopefully you have a solid backup scheme in place.
I've got a third 1TB Seagate 7200.11 now using a Vantec Nexstar 3 eSATA enclosure that has all my MP3's and trash on it. The raid 0 runs my OS/Games/Whatever else. So I will never lose anything.
Intel Core i9 10900K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus XII Apex, GSkill Trident-Z Royal DDR4 3200MHz 32GB CAS11, EVGA FTW3 3080Ti Sixtuple SLI KAC Edition, Creative Labs SXFI Theater, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Old Dec 4, 2007, 09:44 PM   #12
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
I've got a third 1TB Seagate 7200.11 now using a Vantec Nexstar 3 eSATA enclosure that has all my MP3's and trash on it. The raid 0 runs my OS/Games/Whatever else. So I will never lose anything.
What if that externally housed drive fails?
Old Dec 5, 2007, 01:09 AM   #13
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Must say, a well written review. Just noticed this on the from page TBH.

Kudos to Jim.
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 01:26 AM   #14
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound_Card View Post
Must say, a well written review. Just noticed this on the from page TBH.

Kudos to Jim.
You may want to start checking the front page more often now.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 07:16 AM   #15
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Quote:
What if that externally housed drive fails?
I've got an ol' Maxtor 80GB USB2 HDD, aswell my Dell XPS and Creative Zen Vision M 60GB also has my backup on it. I'm all good
Old Dec 5, 2007, 10:42 AM   #16
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
I've got an ol' Maxtor 80GB USB2 HDD, aswell my Dell XPS and Creative Zen Vision M 60GB also has my backup on it. I'm all good
Good.

Sorry if it seems like I'm hounding you. I had a friend drop off his computer on Sunday worried that his RAID1 array had completely failed (one drive a few weeks ago and now access problems on the second drive). Sure enough, both drives are toast. And he didn't have a backup plan in place (RAID arrays offer redundancy, not backup).
Old Dec 7, 2007, 02:02 AM   #17
seeker010
chaotic evil

seeker010 is still being judged by the masses

awesome. that must've taken a lot of patience to do. surprised that the 8204ELP doesn't do interleaved reads in RAID 1 though.

Quote:
Good.

Sorry if it seems like I'm hounding you. I had a friend drop off his computer on Sunday worried that his RAID1 array had completely failed (one drive a few weeks ago and now access problems on the second drive). Sure enough, both drives are toast. And he didn't have a backup plan in place (RAID arrays offer redundancy, not backup).
RAID 6 ftw!!!

Last edited by seeker010 : Dec 7, 2007 at 02:07 AM.
seeker010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2007, 03:37 AM   #18
hobs0n
Radeon Arctic Islands

hobs0n is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
When I purchased my two 1TB drives I actually had to return them a few times. I purchased 2 at first and both drives made a mechanical hum and would not be detected by any system, I took them back and got replacements. The next 2 would not power up at all. I replaced them again. One worked perfectly and the other would head crash with a nice clicking sound at startup and would not be detected, of course turning the drive up side down made the head crash stop and would be detected, but seatools failed on test immediately. I took it back and then tech tested it and said it worked fine. I of course saw he had the drive upside down and as I turned it back over the drive failed again and lost connection within Windows... He tried to tell me its an acutator issue but the drive is fine and refused to replace it... After an hour of arguing and me showing him the print out of the failed drive he gave me another one.... Thats 7 drive now and I've finally got 2x1TB 7200.11 in raid 0.

They more then likely just got a bad batch that someone probably dropped...
WoW, talk about bad luck I hope the two you got now will be more stable.

Great write there Jim

I was kinda surprised that the 1TB drive beat the Raptor
hobs0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 07:16 PM   #19
-n7-
Radeon Arctic Islands

-n7- is still being judged by the masses

Never even saw this till now.

Nice job caveman!

If i could make one suggestion to keep me more interested, it'd be real world results.

I know real world testing is a ***** [pretty much regardless of what hardware is being reviewing], but it's really nice to see, since synthetics really mean nothing to me for the most part.

Good review overall though

n7

n7
-n7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 08:52 PM   #20
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Thanks! What specifically would you want to see? Real world differs from person to person; I'd be interested in running multiple VM's and performance creating, restoring and exploring backup archives.

I don't have access to all the hardware anymore, but I could do a comparison of the raptors with 7200.10 500gb drives.
Old Dec 14, 2007, 05:55 PM   #21
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

a review on the front page?
is Ratchet back???

edit: wait that is not Ratchet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC

Last edited by nomore : Dec 14, 2007 at 05:58 PM.
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15, 2007, 03:37 AM   #22
hobs0n
Radeon Arctic Islands

hobs0n is still being judged by the masses

I would like to see the comparison between various modern 7200 HDDs and Raptors. I always thought Raptors where superior but after reading your test I realized that it might not be so

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Thanks! What specifically would you want to see? Real world differs from person to person; I'd be interested in running multiple VM's and performance creating, restoring and exploring backup archives.

I don't have access to all the hardware anymore, but I could do a comparison of the raptors with 7200.10 500gb drives.
hobs0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 09:12 AM   #23
Shutin
right now - breath in

Shutin is still being judged by the masses

If Seagate+Raptor was the only manufacturer of harddrives this could be a relevant article.Fortunately they arn't: http://techreport.com/articles.x/13732
Shutin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 09:46 AM   #24
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

The title 'Three Generations of Seagate Performance' didn't give you a clue?
Old Dec 18, 2007, 09:44 PM   #25
-n7-
Radeon Arctic Islands

-n7- is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by -n7- View Post
Never even saw this till now.

Nice job caveman!

If i could make one suggestion to keep me more interested, it'd be real world results.

I know real world testing is a ***** [pretty much regardless of what hardware is being reviewing], but it's really nice to see, since synthetics really mean nothing to me for the most part.

Good review overall though
Simple things.

Game/program installs, Windows bootup/loading times, game loading times, WinRAR extraction/compression times, moving files, etc.

I realize that a lot of this stuff is a pain to benchmark accurately, but it's what i look for in reviews of HDDs.

n7

n7
-n7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21, 2007, 07:07 AM   #26
TheNGTV
EGG

TheNGTV is still being judged by the masses

Nice one Jim!

I'd love to get an mtron 16/32GB fast SSD (OS) and a normal 7200.11. No need for backups- as they die they're gone with the wind.
TheNGTV is offline   Reply With Quote