Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Front Page News
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Front Page News News and Rage3D articles as it appears on the frontpage.

Old Mar 20, 2008, 03:43 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

9800 GX2 Performance Preview and HDTV Gaming

Rage3D guest reviewer ChrisRay keeps his electric meter busy testing Nvidia's new 9800 GX2.

Check out 9800 GX2 Performance Preview and HDTV Gaming.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 03:47 PM   #2
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

What? New content?

Gah! My eyes!

Old Mar 20, 2008, 04:24 PM   #3
Pirate Neilsouth
The undead have returned!

Pirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled withPirate Neilsouth is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
What? New content?

Gah! My eyes!

Im blind!

Sweeet
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 20, 2008, 04:42 PM   #4
bigtabs
is a happy chappy

bigtabs is still being judged by the masses

It's a good review and looks fair. ChrisRay is a great addition to our forum.

Just seems a bit weird having an nVidia focus group member writing graphics hardware reviews for the site? I'm not suggesting there has been any bias shown, but it feels a little odd.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 04:45 PM   #5
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Kombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtabs View Post

Just seems a bit weird having an nVidia focus group member writing graphics hardware reviews for the site? I'm not suggesting there has been any bias shown, but it feels a little odd.
So you would be more comfortable if I reviewed the nvidia card? Or an ati fanboy, for instance?
Old Mar 20, 2008, 04:52 PM   #6
bigtabs
is a happy chappy

I fail to see what point you are trying to make. None of the above. Surely it is better for someone neutral to be providing reviews?

Should Tim Sweeney be reviewing the latest Unreal Tournament game?
Old Mar 20, 2008, 05:03 PM   #7
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Thing is Chris has always been one of the most netrual minded ppl I know when it comes to discussing the technology. Just because he tests hardware and software for a company doesn't mean that he is in their pocket and it really gets tiresome seeing ppl accuse him of being so outright or backhandedly. Its the same crap ppl have thrown at Kombi and Vengenace before.

now if you want to discuss the preview thats fine if you want to discuss the writer do it somewhere else.

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 05:21 PM   #8
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:

Let me put it this way. This is an SLI Zone / Rage3D exclusive from someone that has access to the card and has proven to be a fair reviewer in the past (look at his previous work stickied in Gen Graphics).

I can see how it could make some people suspicious since he's an nV Focus Group member, but it's not his membership in that group that should matter but rather his character and his long time support of Rage 3D.

My .02.
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 05:31 PM   #9
Gandalfthewhite
Hardware Enthusiast

Gandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled withGandalfthewhite is not someone to be trifled with

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Let me put it this way. This is an SLI Zone / Rage3D exclusive from someone that has access to the card and has proven to be a fair reviewer in the past (look at his previous work stickied in Gen Graphics).

I can see how it could make some people suspicious since he's an nV Focus Group member, but it's not his membership in that group that should matter but rather his character and his long time support of Rage 3D.

My .02.

what he said

HOURGLASS = most appropriate named ICON/CURSOR in the Windows world :-)

In a dank corner of ATI central, the carpet covered with corn flakes, the faint sound of clicking can be heard........Click......click, click............as the fate of the graphics world and the future of the human race hangs in the balance.

I know....I know........Keep my day job :-)- catcather
Gandalfthewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 05:32 PM   #10
ChrisRay
1983 - 2010

ChrisRay is still being judged by the masses

Since it's been brought up I'll go ahead and do my best to answer that criticism. Yes I'm an Nvidia Focus Group member. And this has been a reason I was dubious about doing reviews in the past for rage3d. I dont want to get too deep into rage3d politics. But I'll explain my position on this issue.

1) I asked not be a direct part of the staff. And not a moderator. This is obviously because my affiliation. I really like rage3d. But I wanted to avoid as much political problems as is. And I'm quite happy just being a member of rage3d.

2) My hardware is my own. I just use what I have. Since I have a steady supply of modern hardware. I can provide some unique insight to Nvidia products.

3) No Cross vendor comparisons. I dont like doing them on my own. And I certainly don't wish to put rage3d into any kind of political mess due to me reviewing an AMD card. I'm just not going to do that. I like how I do my reviews.

4) They give me freedom to provide articles as I can do them. And with the above conditions. This is a test run done by both of us to see how things go. There's no hard feelings if things do not work out.

Believe me when I say I understand and appreciate the negative association my affiliation can bring. But I also care about what happens to rage3d as a whole. I can offer them some content in this case as well as a steady supply of my own hardware. If it does not work out. It doesn't work out. I hope that people here will at least give it a chance.

Chris

--

|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.2 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 05:35 PM   #11
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

See guys? A chance to have direct contact with the reviewer (like we used to have).

Now, before anyone says it, yes there will be ATI content coming, just be patient, OK?
Old Mar 20, 2008, 05:37 PM   #12
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Kombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
I fail to see what point you are trying to make. None of the above. Surely it is better for someone neutral to be providing reviews?

Should Tim Sweeney be reviewing the latest Unreal Tournament game?
Surely it'd be better to actually criticize him with some hard facts instead of criticizing him simply because of his affiliation? That's my point. If you have them, please, bring them on.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 05:51 PM   #13
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kombatant View Post
Surely it'd be better to actually criticize him with some hard facts instead of criticizing him simply because of his affiliation? That's my point. If you have them, please, bring them on.
Right. We all have to get away from this "oh, you're from ATI/nV so you're just here to post PR or do damage control" mentality. Rage should welcome and value industry insiders for all the great stuff they can provide the community with. We must also remember that all these insiders are under NDA and are not dumb enough to say something that could/will get them fired from their jobs. The key here is R E S P E C T (sing it with me) so these people feel comfortable in our community and want to stay and participate.

Last edited by acroig : Mar 20, 2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: lousy typing skills
Old Mar 20, 2008, 05:54 PM   #14
bigtabs
is a happy chappy

Why are you all thinking that I'm criticizing ChrisRay?

I have loads of respect for the guy. Did I not make my actual point perfectly clear in my first post? Apparently not.

I am not discussing the person. I have no qualms with him whatsoever. I simply think it's an odd state of affairs. That is all.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 05:58 PM   #15
acroig
Troll Mod

My comments were not specific to yours, just a general commentary.

Again, it may be odd but let's look beyond his affiliations.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 06:08 PM   #16
AlexV
Radeon Northern Islands

AlexV is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Right. We all have to get away from this "oh, you're from ATI/nV so you're just here to post PR or do damage control" mentality. Rage should welcome and value industry insiders for all the great stuff they can provide the community with. We must also remember that all these insiders are under NDA and are not dumb enough to say something that could/will get them fired from their jobs. The key here is R E S P C T (sing it with me) so these people feel comfortable in our community and want to stay and participate.
Respect...priceless. For everything else there is Tweaktown(that's how that Mastercard commercial goes, no?)
AlexV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 06:12 PM   #17
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth Bauglir View Post
Respect...priceless. For everything else there is Tweaktown(that's how that Mastercard commercial goes, no?)
Typing skills with that MC would help (I just noticed I misspelled respect). Thanks!

And I don't discuss TT because mostly negative thoughts come to mind.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 06:13 PM   #18
AlexV
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay View Post
Since it's been brought up I'll go ahead and do my best to answer that criticism. Yes I'm an Nvidia Focus Group member. And this has been a reason I was dubious about doing reviews in the past for rage3d. I dont want to get too deep into rage3d politics. But I'll explain my position on this issue.

1) I asked not be a direct part of the staff. And not a moderator. This is obviously because my affiliation. I really like rage3d. But I wanted to avoid as much political problems as is. And I'm quite happy just being a member of rage3d.

2) My hardware is my own. I just use what I have. Since I have a steady supply of modern hardware. I can provide some unique insight to Nvidia products.

3) No Cross vendor comparisons. I dont like doing them on my own. And I certainly don't wish to put rage3d into any kind of political mess due to me reviewing an AMD card. I'm just not going to do that. I like how I do my reviews.

4) They give me freedom to provide articles as I can do them. And with the above conditions. This is a test run done by both of us to see how things go. There's no hard feelings if things do not work out.

Believe me when I say I understand and appreciate the negative association my affiliation can bring. But I also care about what happens to rage3d as a whole. I can offer them some content in this case as well as a steady supply of my own hardware. If it does not work out. It doesn't work out. I hope that people here will at least give it a chance.

Chris
Chris, first of all, congratulations(again). Very good job!

As a very minor quip, I assume that the pictures of the card and whatnot come from nV's launch PDF...perhaps in future endeavors you'll consider using a higher quality conversion to jpg, as they came out a tad choppy looking.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 06:26 PM   #19
ChrisRay
1983 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth Bauglir View Post
Chris, first of all, congratulations(again). Very good job!

As a very minor quip, I assume that the pictures of the card and whatnot come from nV's launch PDF...perhaps in future endeavors you'll consider using a higher quality conversion to jpg, as they came out a tad choppy looking.
I understand. Part of the problem was that this was originally converted and meant to be used as a forum post. Which I had to make other exceptions for. ((picture size/ect)) future ones will be done with pngs.

Chris

--

|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.2 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
Old Mar 20, 2008, 06:36 PM   #20
razor1
Radeon Arctic Islands

razor1 is still being judged by the masses

Chris isn't an employee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by silent_guy View Post
What exactly do you think would happen if you *did* connect a large load? The arrival of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie
Contrast that with the GT300 approach. There is no dedicated tesselator, and if you use that DX11 feature, it will take large amounts of shader time, used inefficiently as is the case with general purpose hardware. You will then need the same shaders again to render the triangles. 250K to 1 Million triangles on the GT300 should be notably slower than straight 1 Million triangles.
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1137331/a-look-nvidia-gt300-architecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corum Jhaelen Irsei View Post
and you tell me I am in for a suprise? It is the FX; Late, hot, needing insane clock rates for its size. You have yet to show even one of my posts wrong.
razor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 06:38 PM   #21
ChrisRay
1983 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor1 View Post
Chris isn't an employee?

I have explained this many times Some people just dont entirely get it.

--

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Old Mar 20, 2008, 06:42 PM   #22
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Those of you wishing to discuss the review itself are encouraged to do so. If, however, your goal is to merely troll or flame than I suggest you take a deep breath and get over it.

While Rage3D continues to be an ATi centric website, we're also graphics enthusiasts and will continue to review and discuss important events within the industry. I want to personally thank ChrisRay for giving Rage3D a first-hand look at the 9800 GX2.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 07:05 PM   #23
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
I want to personally thank ChrisRay for giving Rage3D a first-hand look at the 9800 GX2.
That goes from me as well.
Old Mar 20, 2008, 08:19 PM   #24
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Subscriber

I would like to thank ChrisRay for secretly agreeing to share all the monies he gets from nVIDIA with me
Old Mar 20, 2008, 08:38 PM   #25
Lupine
Administrator

I added a PureVideo image to the first page of the review. Direct link to image:

http://www.rage3d.com/image.php?pic=...ment=PureVideo
Old Mar 20, 2008, 09:12 PM   #26
traitoR
Galactic Butterfly

traitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
I want to personally thank ChrisRay for giving Rage3D a first-hand look at the 9800 GX2.
I`d also like to thank those who contributed as well. Nice to see some new content.
traitoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:19 AM   #27
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Default We apprieciate you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay View Post
I have explained this many times Some people just dont entirely get it.

Hey man forget what others are saying about all the negative crap they bring up. When nothing is going on they complain and when something is going well they complain. We (or I) appreciate you here. Since Rach left with his excellent reviews and contribution here, it left a huge void especially with review content. By having you here to fill that void it brings more life back to R3D that has been missed since Rach left.

You do excellent reviews and I hope you continue to bring as much material as possible. Hoping you bring the April Fools day release of the 9800GTX.

But your one lucky SOB to be able to get free hardware from NVIDIA. Id love to have your job.
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 05:50 AM   #28
kaarel
Radeon R700

kaarel is still being judged by the masses

E6300 is the oldest core tech CPU for desktops with only 2x1MB cache.You have some serious Nvidia hardware and almost 2 year old CPU. So don't complain when game is CPU limited.
People are going to pair GX2 level cards with at least E8x00 that goes easyly over 4GHz with air and has 3 times more cache.
Oblivion is a wonderful game especially with mods. And it destroys my GPU when I max everything with texturepacks and LOD mods. Believe me, it is going to destroy even GX2 @2560x1600 with max AA/AF settings.
And that is because 512MB of vRAM is just too small for so powerful GPU. I am not going to buy a new vcard especially expensive one, if there is less than 1GB of vram per GPU. It is the worst thing that might happen with te amount of FPS when vcard runs out of vmem.
kaarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 06:09 AM   #29
AlexV
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaarel View Post
E6300 is the oldest core tech CPU for desktops with only 2x1MB cache.You have some serious Nvidia hardware and almost 2 year old CPU. So don't complain when game is CPU limited.
People are going to pair GX2 level cards with at least E8x00 that goes easyly over 4GHz with air and has 3 times more cache.
Oblivion is a wonderful game especially with mods. And it destroys my GPU when I max everything with texturepacks and LOD mods. Believe me, it is going to destroy even GX2 @2560x1600 with max AA/AF settings.
And that is because 512MB of vRAM is just too small for so powerful GPU. I am not going to buy a new vcard especially expensive one, if there is less than 1GB of vram per GPU. It is the worst thing that might happen with te amount of FPS when vcard runs out of vmem.
Which is quite wonderful for you, but not necessarily the best way to write a review. Once you start futzing with Mods, Texture packs, ini hacks, this thing here that thing there you muddy the waters beyond usability. IMHO a review should show the out-of-the-box experience as much as possible both WRT the GPU and the games used. One can write separate investigative pieces of what Qarl's texture pack does, for example, if it's actually worth it.

All of you folks pissed because your day-to-day gaming settings aren't tested should understand the difference between mass-aimed and individual-aimed. IMHO, of course.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 06:50 AM   #30
TheNGTV
EGG

TheNGTV is still being judged by the masses

Hey Morgoth, that makes [T]artOCP moot too!

Chris has done a great job on the review itself and a great help to starting to move R3D homepage content. Why can't we look at that instead?
TheNGTV is offline   Reply With Quote