Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:24 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Rage3D 9800 GX2 Quad SLI Review

Is it time to take a second mortgage out on the house? Join Rage3D guest reviewer ChrisRay as we review 9800 Quad SLI to see how it stacks up.

In this article we will offer a small Quad SLI setup guide, take a gander at some new software available with the configuration and, most importantly, check out the performance gained with this new offering by Nvidia. Join Rage3D as we put on our protective gear, call in a warning to our local power company, and see what these babies can do!

Review: 9800 Quad SLI Performance Tests
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Added OS & PSU information to test setup.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 01:06 PM   #3
Japps
Ernie just shat his pants

Japps is still being judged by the masses

Instructive review!

Black Canon Digital Rebel XTI (10 mp) with Canon Speedlite 420 EX
Sigma 10-20mm EX DG - Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DG - Canon 70-200 F4 L
Japps is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 25, 2008, 01:44 PM   #4
Limbo Stick

Limbo Stick is still being judged by the masses

There's a typo in the link, it directs to https instead of http.
Limbo Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 03:03 PM   #5
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limbo Stick View Post
There's a typo in the link, it directs to https instead of http.
Fixed. Thanks!
Old Mar 25, 2008, 04:34 PM   #6
bigtabs
is a happy chappy

bigtabs is still being judged by the masses

Interesting read.

What resolution and settings were used on the afr method benchmark at the bottom of the first page?
Old Mar 25, 2008, 05:11 PM   #7
ChrisRay
1983 - 2010

ChrisRay is still being judged by the masses

1920x1080

--

|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.2 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 05:31 PM   #8
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

Every Crysis player on the planet has been waiting for a configuration that can play this game at max settings and maintain enjoyable experience. Can the 9800 GX2 Quad SLI do that at this resolution? The answer is no.

that's a heart breaker.
please next time don't say 'no' straight forward.

regardless of that, I am still quite happy we got Chris as a guest reviewer.
I am also happy I don't have to take a second mortgage out on the house.

anyway, at least now I will have something nice to read at R3d.

thanx to lupine and Chris for putting all of this together and for their hard work.
I am looking forward on what will come next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 05:58 PM   #9
bigtabs
is a happy chappy

Well I have to say that the GX2 is doing far better than I thought it would, in both quad and regular configurations.

gg nVidia
Old Mar 25, 2008, 06:51 PM   #10
fivefeet8
Radeon R200

fivefeet8 is still being judged by the masses

Nice review Chris, as always. I actually have an SLI board these days, but have yet to jump on the multi card setups.
fivefeet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 07:15 PM   #11
ChrisRay
1983 - 2010

I just wanted to let you guys know. The Crysis results for the 9800GX2 and 9800GX2 Quad SLI results are wrong in both my reviews. I recorded the incorrect data entries for them. ((They are actually few FPS faster in all cases. Its doesnt totally break the results but its a flaw none the less and I requested Lupine fix it when he became available))

This is my fault because I organized my bench data terribly before I graphed it. I need to better organize myself so these mistakes dont happen. Below are the correct performance results ((not a big difference but I rather they'd be accurate ))

Quad SLI Chart

9800GX Chart

--

|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.2 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members

Last edited by ChrisRay : Mar 25, 2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 09:07 PM   #12
Lupine
Administrator

Updated. Thanks Chris.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 09:46 PM   #13
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

As the old Said53 would say, "Tank god we have yu Cris Ray"

Man your reviews are making this place much more exciting! I think we can all safely say you filled the shows of ratchet when it comes to reviews.
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:00 PM   #14
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Quick question Chris.

It seems anandtech was able to get Crysis running on very high settings maintaining an avg framerate of 43fps at 1600x1200. How come you weren't able to achieve these results?

Im not sure how they tested Crysis. Did they run the benchmarking BAT file, or did they do a custom run through with real gameplay? Im looking forward in playing crysis on very high settings. I can play it on my sold BFG OC 8800GTS 640MB with 112sp's with an avg of about 15-18 fps.
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:20 PM   #15
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb2k5 View Post
Quick question Chris.

It seems anandtech was able to get Crysis running on very high settings maintaining an avg framerate of 43fps at 1600x1200. How come you weren't able to achieve these results?

Im not sure how they tested Crysis. Did they run the benchmarking BAT file, or did they do a custom run through with real gameplay? Im looking forward in playing crysis on very high settings. I can play it on my sold BFG OC 8800GTS 640MB with 112sp's with an avg of about 15-18 fps.
Are you referencing his quad sli numbers? Keep in mind all tests were run at 1920*1080.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:43 PM   #16
ChrisRay
1983 - 2010

1920x1080 is quite a bit more demanding than 1600x1200. Thats pretty much it. Plus it uses more framebuffer. It will run @ 1680x1050 with no AA. At about 45sh FPS. But I wasnt testing those settings and stuck with HDTV resolutions. But 1680x1050 with no AA on a 1,200 dollar setup is not that impressive. However if you make some sacrafices. I played it on "high" at 1680x1050 with shadow volumes set to medium with 16x CSAA/16xAF and maintained about 55sh FPS in the first level.

Some people have different ideas of whats impressive though. To me turning off AA for slightly improved DX10 effects at a huge cost of performance is simply a step backwards.

Chris

--

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Last edited by ChrisRay : Mar 25, 2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:55 PM   #17
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

another quick question for Chris, I saw that you did the benchmarks under vista 64 bit.
are you planning to check the performance under xp 64 bit or xp 32 bit?

I was under the impression SLI performs better in XP rather than vista.
also I would assume single GX2 will perform better under XP as well. and your benchmarks for single GX2 are also done under vista 64 bit.
Quote:

Last edited by nomore : Mar 25, 2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:10 PM   #18
ChrisRay
1983 - 2010

Quad SLI isnt supported under XP. So it'd be a fruitless endeavor. Neither is Tri SLI. It'd cut my result data by half. This is due the frame limit I discussed on the first page. As far as Windows Vista 32 bit testing. The way Microsoft handles its licenses with Windows Vista that could be a real hassle. As I'd have to reactivate/reinstall the same OS over and over again and I only have 2 Windows Vista Ultimate licenses ((and coincidently only 2 Desktop computers Running Vista Ultimate)). I have not felt SLI performs radically better under XP for a long time now. Actually if anything. Vista has become the preferred multi GPU platform after SP1.

Chris

--

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Last edited by ChrisRay : Mar 25, 2008 at 11:13 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:40 PM   #19
ChrisRay
1983 - 2010

Oh and for those curious. Here are some tempature displays of the 9800GX2 Quad SLI system. ((and the 790I running 1828 FSB))

--

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Old Mar 26, 2008, 04:20 AM   #20
bigtabs
is a happy chappy

How are the load temps?
Old Mar 26, 2008, 09:16 AM   #21
ChrisRay
1983 - 2010

Those are the load temps.

--

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Old Mar 26, 2008, 05:09 PM   #22
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay View Post
Quad SLI isnt supported under XP. So it'd be a fruitless endeavor. Neither is Tri SLI. It'd cut my result data by half. This is due the frame limit I discussed on the first page. As far as Windows Vista 32 bit testing. The way Microsoft handles its licenses with Windows Vista that could be a real hassle. As I'd have to reactivate/reinstall the same OS over and over again and I only have 2 Windows Vista Ultimate licenses ((and coincidently only 2 Desktop computers Running Vista Ultimate)). I have not felt SLI performs radically better under XP for a long time now. Actually if anything. Vista has become the preferred multi GPU platform after SP1.

Chris
cool, thank you.

I still didn't install SP1 for vista 32 bit business version I use, I am assuming vista also became a preferred single GPU platform after SP1?
or would my assumption be incorrect in this case?
thanx.

by the way, quad sli gpu temps at load are 4 C lower than my 8800gts at load...
can you tell us little bit about your fan settings and your pc case settings?
like how many fans do you have and what brand of pc case do you use and etc?
thanx again,

if it is not too much of a trouble, I would like to see a picture of your case with that quad sli setup.
Quote:
Old Mar 28, 2008, 08:04 PM   #23
bigtabs
is a happy chappy

Quote:
Those are the load temps.
Yeah? What were you running when they were taken?
Old Mar 28, 2008, 08:14 PM   #24
ChrisRay
1983 - 2010

RTHDRIBL. You cant see the taskbar in that screenshot because I cut it out because I originally taking the picture to show someone I actually had the system that didnt believe me for some reason ((these pictures werent originally taken for the purpose of showing off load temps)) I have a better comparison of load temps coming soon of the G92 cores. So I admit this wasnt the best comparison.

Fortunately since I windowed down RTHDRIBL and put up Nv system monitor. The load temps dont change a whole lot. ((Maybe 1 or 2C)) since Nv monitor is technically a 3d application which uses the GPUs. ((You have to minimize it to get the basic 2D monitor)). The reason for this is once you pass 75C. The fans start to spin up faster ((usually from 25% to 50%)) to help keep the temp down.

Chris

--

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Old Mar 28, 2008, 08:37 PM   #25
bigtabs
is a happy chappy

That's nice and cool. Very impressive.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 08:49 PM   #26
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
because I originally taking the picture to show someone I actually had the system that didnt believe me for some reason
I would believe you if you say you have a 10800 gtx.
Quote:
Old Mar 31, 2008, 03:19 PM   #27
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

So is Rage an nVidia site now that we do nVidia reviews, but not ATI reviews?

Not to stir up a storm or anything, as I've gone nVidia this round. I could live with the site switching as often as I switch my cards.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 03:25 PM   #28
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristogod View Post

Not to stir up a storm or anything, as I've gone nVidia this round. I could live with the site switching as often as I switch my cards.
While primarily an ATI enthusiast website, we will continue to review and discuss events in the industry that are, in our opinion, important and interesting to our members. As to your question, we have several ATI specific reviews in the pipeline right now that will be seeing the light of day shortly.
Old Mar 31, 2008, 08:02 PM   #29
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristogod View Post

this would have bothered the heck out of me a year ago... but I don't really care(maybe because I have a nvidia card now as well) and I am glad we have at least something to talk about and read about.

that is way better than nothing!!!
Quote: