Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Apr 1, 2008, 05:24 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Rage3D 9800 GTX and SLI / 3-Way SLI Performance Preview

Has nVidia produced a worthy successor to the 8800 GTX? Join Rage3D guest reviewer ChrisRay as he uncovers nVidia's latest G92 offering: the 9800 GTX.

Today Nvidia unveals its newest single GPU high end video card sporting the G92 core: the GeForce 9800 GTX. In addition to higher clocks, the 9800 GTX joins the 9800 GX2 in supporting several features that separate it from its the 8800 GT and 8800 GTS brothers, including Hybrid Power and Tri SLI. The GeForce 9800 GTX comes with an attractive MSRP of $299 to $349. Join Rage3D as we examine Nvidia's new offering as we discover how well the 9800 GTX positions itself as a new contender in the price/performance arena.

Review: nVIDIA 9800 GTX and SLI / 3-Way SLI Performance Preview
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 06:58 AM   #2
Arghuin
Nexus 6

Arghuin is still being judged by the masses

Post all other reviews from sites in this thread as well or...?
Arghuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 07:04 AM   #3
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Reading now...

A good head to head with an 8800GT would've been nice...
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 1, 2008, 07:31 AM   #4
Targon
Radeon R520

Targon is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
Reading now...

It would be interesting to see a head-to-head with a CrossfireX setup as well. While AMD/ATI may not be able to compete very well on a single-card to single-card basis, when you go to three video cards, things may change a bit.
Targon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 07:59 AM   #5
AlexV
Radeon Northern Islands

AlexV is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targon View Post
It would be interesting to see a head-to-head with a CrossfireX setup as well. While AMD/ATI may not be able to compete very well on a single-card to single-card basis, when you go to three video cards, things may change a bit.
Something along those lines might be coming, although, making one huge assumption WRT the ATi content that'll soon be published(of which I have no knowledge), it won't be exactly a head-to-head. But odds are that you'll see what the competition gives in some of the price brackets included here.

Good job Chris!
AlexV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 09:27 AM   #6
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Thanks to Chris and Charlie for their hard work!
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 09:47 AM   #7
ChrisRay
1983 - 2010

ChrisRay is still being judged by the masses

For those curious about the case/cooling I used for this review.

Shot with KODAK EASYSHARE M863 DIGITAL CAMERA at 2008-03-31

Shot with KODAK EASYSHARE M863 DIGITAL CAMERA at 2008-03-31

--

|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.2 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 09:50 AM   #8
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

I'm particularly disappointed with Nvidia's naming scheme on this one. Don't get me wrong, it does look like it brings a lot of good things to the table vs. the 8800 GTX. But it earns the title 8850 GTX or similar, not one indicative of an all new series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targon View Post
Unfortunately we don't have both setups under the same roof this time around, but a CrossfireX config is working its way through the Rage3D labs and, IMHO, the review will be most interesting.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 09:58 AM   #9
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
.... a CrossfireX config is working its way through the Rage3D labs and, IMHO, the review will be most interesting.
We have labs? I guess my security clearance is not high enough to visit them.

Happy April fools!
Old Apr 1, 2008, 12:25 PM   #10
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Like the quick rundown of review, good job. Wow! can't believe my GTX is about as good as it gets for single GPU cards yet after a year and a half. I am looking forward more for next generation stuff, maybe DX 11 as well if Ray tracing actually goes mainstream with real time rendering.
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 01:26 PM   #11
AlexV
Radeon Northern Islands

AlexV is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
We have labs? I guess my security clearance is not high enough to visit them.

Happy April fools!
I think the traveling expenses would be somewhat...extensive.
AlexV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2008, 01:46 PM   #12
ChrisRay
1983 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
Reading now...

I would have liked to include the 8800GT but time restraints and trying to maintain consistency with the other reviews I wasnt able too. I did keep the 8800GT SLI results in there though. The 8800GT is typically a good deal slower than the 9800GTX in alot of cases. I found some cases to be in the range of 20-25%. Not that its a bad value. But consider the 8800GT originally came out for the 299-349 price tag that the 9800GTX is assuming now. It makes me wonder what Nvidia's plans are for the 8800GT. Probably sit it at around the 200 dollar mark.

--

|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.2 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
Old Apr 1, 2008, 02:27 PM   #13
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay View Post
I would have liked to include the 8800GT but time restraints and trying to maintain consistency with the other reviews I wasnt able too. I did keep the 8800GT SLI results in there though. The 8800GT is typically a good deal slower than the 9800GTX in alot of cases. I found some cases to be in the range of 20-25%. Not that its a bad value. But consider the 8800GT originally came out for the 299-349 price tag that the 9800GTX is assuming now. It makes me wonder what Nvidia's plans are for the 8800GT. Probably sit it at around the 200 dollar mark.
I see thanks. I was wondering if there will be a 9800GT/GTS card in 250$ price range? If that is the case I will sell off my new 8800GT and wait out a bit.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 03:48 AM   #14
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

Quote:
No additional cooling or case modifications were used for this testing because, frankly, we did not feel they were needed for operating in a standard 70 degree room environment. The results were impressive: with our 8800 GTX 3-Way SLI configuration, we were forced to install additional case cooling to keep the cards from overheating. 9800 GTX SLI, with standard cooling, maintained an average of 85-90C, so 9800 GTX SLI and 3-Way SLI temperatures should be much easier to manage for the average user. Single 9800 GTX and 9800 GTX SLI users will probably never be concerned about their temperature of their card.
That's a little funky to read.

Not being critical or anything, just pointing out...
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 06:04 AM   #15
Arghuin
Nexus 6

Arghuin is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
It makes me wonder what Nvidia's plans are for the 8800GT. Probably sit it at around the 200 dollar mark.
Or phase it out completely and replace it by the 9800gt (which could go for say $199) and subsequently bring the prices of 9600gt even further down (such as $129 or thereabouts)?

Ah, good days to be a consumer
Arghuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 07:22 AM   #16
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arghuin View Post
Or phase it out completely and replace it by the 9800gt (which could go for say $199) and subsequently bring the prices of 9600gt even further down (such as $129 or thereabouts)?

Ah, good days to be a consumer
But what exactly IS 9800GT? Is it any different then 8800GT? They're obviously going to be the same chip, yet again. This is a rip off. G92 could have really cemented Nvidia's reputation for solid refresh's had it been named appropriately, but instead we have this confusing 8800/9800 crap existing on the same chip.

I'm NOT letting this issue go. We're outright watching Nvidia's worst unethical marketing tactic perpetrated yet.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 08:41 AM   #17
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

If there is going to be a 9800 GT -- which I doubt......it may have similar stream processors with higher clockings, and maybe the ability to have Tri-Sli.

It doesn't make much sense to replace the 8800GT and 8800 GTS 512 products considering all of them may be replaced with the 99XX family.

It did make sense to replace the Ultra and GTX even if it's just a few months or so from now.

We may see a more polished naming with the 99XX family but who knows for sure or if this even comes to any level of fruition.

9900GT
9900GTS
9900GTX
9900X2
SIrPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:04 AM   #18
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIrPauly View Post
If there is going to be a 9800 GT -- which I doubt......it may have similar stream processors with higher clockings, and maybe the ability to have Tri-Sli.

It doesn't make much sense to replace the 8800GT and 8800 GTS 512 products considering all of them may be replaced with the 99XX family.

It did make sense to replace the Ultra and GTX even if it's just a few months or so from now.

We may see a more polished naming with the 99XX family but who knows for sure or if this even comes to any level of fruition.

9900GT
9900GTS
9900GTX
9900X2
So your saying higher clocks and an extra SLI connector would be enough to justify calling it 9800GT over 8800GT even as it has the same GPU in it? I'm holding back judgement on that one just yet.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:29 AM   #19
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

No and why I use the wording "non-ideal" naming scheme because they may offer some confusion for some.

The ideal naming scheme would of been this for the G-92's:

8900GT
8900GTS
8900GTX
8900GX2

Instead of this:

8800GT
8800GTS 512
9800GTX
9800GX2

But what can you do?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:32 AM   #20
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
No and why I use the wording "non-ideal" because they may offer some confusion for some.

The ideal naming scheme would of been this for the G-92's:

8900GT
8900GTS
8900GTX
8900GX2

Instead of this:

8800GT
8800GTS 512
9800GTX
9800GX2

But what can you do?
Hehehe. You say "non-ideal", I say "deceptive business practice". You say Tomato, I say tomato. (how does one stress a single letter in a word?)
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:43 AM   #21
acroig
Troll Mod

You two still at it I see.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:37 AM   #22
ChrisRay
1983 - 2010

Quote:
You two still at it I see.
The Non ATI forums were down for nearly 10 hours. Gotta catchup.

--

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:39 AM   #23
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
The Non ATI forums were down for nearly 10 hours. Gotta catchup.
Aren't you banned?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:43 AM   #24
ChrisRay
1983 - 2010

Quote:
Aren't you banned?
The truth is I hacked the site. I said there'd be hell to pay didnt I?

--

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:44 AM   #25
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
Remind me not to piss you off.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 11:44 AM   #26
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

Quote:
Worth repeating in this thread, hehe, you bastard!
Old Apr 2, 2008, 12:51 PM   #27
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

Subscriber

Quote:
Worth repeating in this thread, hehe, you bastard!
And SirPauly and I find a point of agreement
Old Apr 4, 2008, 11:47 AM   #28
ChrisRay
1983 - 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by andino View Post
That's a little funky to read.

Not being critical or anything, just pointing out...

Yes I sorry. This was a typo we corrected early on. The 9800GTX should have read "8800GTX". We fixed this on the 1st. I would have noticed your post sooner if not for the April Fools joke and my subsequent ban resulting from it. :P

--

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator