Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:40 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

ATI Technologies Assassin's Creed DX10.1 - Digging Deeper

Soon after Rage3D's initial Assassin's Creed DX10.1 investigation, Ubisoft announced the removal of DX10.1 support from the game via an upcoming patch. With little detail into the reasons of removal, the official statement on the cryptic side, questions regarding the differences in Image Quality (IQ) between the DX10 and DX10.1 pathways prompted us to investigate further.

Assassin's Creed DX10.1 - Addendum
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 12:01 AM   #2
damicatz
Radeon R300

damicatz is still being judged by the masses

The only problem with that explanation is that particles (including soft particles, aka particles with depth masks) aren't done at the post process stage unless you are using a deferred renderer.

And I seriously doubt that a few missing particles would cause such a performance difference (unless Ubisoft is worse at writing code than I already thought).

Last edited by damicatz : Apr 29, 2008 at 12:09 AM.
damicatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 03:13 AM   #3
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by damicatz View Post
The only problem with that explanation is that particles (including soft particles, aka particles with depth masks) aren't done at the post process stage unless you are using a deferred renderer.

And I seriously doubt that a few missing particles would cause such a performance difference (unless Ubisoft is worse at writing code than I already thought).
*cough* Nvidia *cough*

Wouldn't be the first Ubisoft or Nvidia sponsored game to suddenly lose a feature, then get it get it back once team green can support it.

Heatware

Last edited by gamefoo21 : Apr 29, 2008 at 03:16 AM.
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 29, 2008, 03:23 AM   #4
Sharkfood
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Sharkfood is still being judged by the masses

Very nice series of articles and investigative work. Lupine & Morgoth- your efforts are appreciated and I've really enjoyed both of the articles in this series.

Don't spread my wealth, spread my work ethic.
3/21/2010 - R.I.P. Freedom, Democracy, America
Sharkfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 03:42 AM   #5
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Nice article. Too bad Im planning to get it for the 360.
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 04:08 AM   #6
Arghuin
Nexus 6

Arghuin is still being judged by the masses

An excellent article, which only goes on to show the massive difference in devrel strength between the two companies

In my opinion, while no-one can 'accuse' Ubisoft at this point of removing said support to 'fix' things (at the end of the day it's their software and they should know better what needs and doesnt need doing, regardless of any conspiracy theories out there), one cant stop people from thinking that nV might have had a hand in this whole story.

So, I suppose the real question(S) now are: will the dx10.1 support and 'bug fixes' be implemented back in the game before nVidia actually has dx10.1-capable hardware available?

If yes, kudos to Ubi for doing all that's necessary and supporting their product. If not, I'm not buying a Ubisoft game again, ever. 'Cause like I said, it's their software, but hey, its my money
Arghuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 04:14 AM   #7
AlexV
Radeon Northern Islands

AlexV is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

Then it's good that AC, at least in its DX10 incarnation is most certainly a deferred renderer, and that the performance benefits manifest themselves even in scenes that do not involve the troublesome dust. You'd think we had explained these, especially the second part, in our article.
AlexV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 05:43 AM   #8
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Nice article and screenshots, thanks
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 07:06 AM   #9
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Everytime I read dust in the article the term "pixie dust" entered my mind from a silly point-of-view; it was like this pixie dust was the magic element of 10.1 and needed to be addressed -- can't have missing "pixie dust" in a game.

My main concern is the performance attributes gained by 10.1 and so far it seems 10.1 adds these with shader resolve. Wish there were other examples -- even synthetic examples - anything that would add more data here.
SIrPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 01:32 PM   #10
shootMasterxy
TECHNO

shootMasterxy is still being judged by the masses

hmm..my card doesn't support dx10.1.
Old Apr 29, 2008, 04:00 PM   #11
Humus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Humus is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Any particular reason why it matters if it's in the post process stage or elsewhere?
Humus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 04:42 PM   #12
damicatz
Radeon R300

damicatz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humus View Post
Any particular reason why it matters if it's in the post process stage or elsewhere?
Ubisoft stated that a pass was missing from the post-process stage in DX10.1 and that this was what caused the framerate differences.
damicatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 04:52 PM   #13
AlexV
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Ubisoft stated that a pass was missing from the post-process stage in DX10.1 and that this was what caused the framerate differences.
Why did everyone choose to read it like that?Why not read it as they probably intended it to be read:we have this DX10.1 thingie, it brings additional functionality, we can drop one(costly) rendering pass by taking advantage of that functionality and by doing so improve performance. Yey!

Don't you think that someone would've noticed the disappearance of one rendering pass that actually produced visual defficiencies(beyond the dust anomaly which seems to be related to how they coded one of their shaders)?I perhaps am blind, but if Kyle and his guys couldn't find it, odds are it isn't there(the IQ degradation).
Old Apr 29, 2008, 07:06 PM   #14
Drexion
Radeon Sea Islands

Drexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21 View Post
Wouldn't be the first Ubisoft or Nvidia sponsored game to suddenly lose a feature, then get it get it back once team green can support it.
Exactly. And its poor when the dev lies about it.

Like when ATI supported HDR+AA in Call of Juarez years ago (for the EU release), but the devs lied and said the game engine wouldn't allow it and disallowed it in the game menus. (even though users found workarounds to get it working)

Then when nVidia released its next batch of cards which could do HDR+AA, the devs said "oh we just noticed the engine can do it, we'll unlock it next patch".

LOL what a farking joke.
[Proc: Intel Core i7 [email protected]][GPU: MSI GTX980Ti 6GB][Mem: 64GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 2666-DDR4][Mobo: Asus X99-A][HD: Samsung 500GB SSD 840 EVO][PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W G2][Audio: Yamaha RX-V673 7.2/JBL 7.2 Surround]
Drexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 07:55 PM   #15
cvearl
God uses ATI.

cvearl is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkfood View Post
Very nice series of articles and investigative work. Lupine & Morgoth- your efforts are appreciated and I've really enjoyed both of the articles in this series.
+1

Welcome to Flight sim 2012 - http://youtu.be/rmZNMjn30XQ

The add ons...

Planes - http://www.carenado.com/CarSite/Port...ccion=products
Scenery - http://fullterrain.com/
Enviroment - http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/
Hardware - http://www.saitek.com/
cvearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 08:08 PM   #16
Dave Baumann
ATI Guru

Dave Baumann is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb2k5 View Post
Nice article. Too bad Im planning to get it for the 360.
Curious, why? Isn't it cheaper for the PC?

(Of course, if you're an achievement hunter I can understand that! )
Dave Baumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 08:46 PM   #17
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Baumann View Post

probably because amazon has ps3 and xbox360 version for $30 where pc version is for 40 bucks:
http://www.amazon.com/UBI-Soft-Assas...9519877&sr=8-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 09:38 PM   #18
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore View Post
probably because amazon has ps3 and xbox360 version for $30 where pc version is for 40 bucks:
http://www.amazon.com/UBI-Soft-Assas...9519877&sr=8-1
oh damn! Why you didn't tell me about that pretty good deal before?

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2008, 09:50 PM   #19
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeckcold57 View Post
oh damn! Why you didn't tell me about that pretty good deal before?
I post PC gaming deals not console gaming deals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 12:24 AM   #20
SSXeon
CAPS CAPS CAPS

SSXeon once held a door open for a complete strangerSSXeon once held a door open for a complete strangerSSXeon once held a door open for a complete strangerSSXeon once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Baumann View Post

DAMN!

Thermaltake Core V51
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8/4.84Ghz
Cryorig C1 + Noctua NF-P14r @ 1500RPM w/ MX4
ASUS TUF Gaming B550-PLUS

16GB Corsair LPX 3200Mhz 16-18-18-36
1TB WB Black SN850 NVMe Gen4 (OS)
2TB WD Red HDD
4TB WD Red HDD
Nvidia RTX 2080 SUPER FE 8GB @ 1650/1935/7751Mhz
Dell 27" S2716DG 1440p @ 144Hz
Razor DeathAdder 6400dpi Mouse
Razer Cynosa Chroma Keyboard
Xbox One Wireless Controller
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
WHQL 465.89

Coolermaster N200
Intel Core-i3 4170 @ 3.8Ghz
Xigmatek 1283 HSF + Thermaltake CL-F005
MSI H81M-P33
8GB Corsair Vengence 1600Mhz 9-9-9-24
500GB WD Blue 3D Nand SSD (OS)
2TB WD Red HDD
2TB WD Red HDD
Intel HD 4400 350/1150Mhz
Corsair CX600 PSU
Dell 21.5" S2209WB 1080p @ 60Hz
Razor Lachesis 5400dpi Mouse
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
WHQL 15.36.28.4332

Thermaltake Versa H15
AMD Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.0/3.2Ghz
Wrath Spire HSF w/ MX4
8GB Corsair LPX 2400Mhz 14-16-16-31
1TB WD Blue HDD (OS)
EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB @ 1708/1937/5005MHz
Oculus Rift Touch
Samsung 55" MU6290 HDR 2160p @ 60Hz
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
WHQL 388.00

Dell XPS 7390
Intel Core-i5 10210u @ 1.6/4.2Ghz
8GB
LPDDR3 2133Mhz
256GB Toshiba NVMe SSD (OS)
Dell 13.3" 1080p @ 60Hz
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

SSXeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 01:11 AM   #21
Faceless Rebel
Rage3D Veteran

Faceless Rebel can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFaceless Rebel can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I've had the 360 version since before Christmas when it was on sale at Best Buy for $35. Still haven't beaten it, though.
Faceless Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 01:23 PM   #22
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

I wanted it for the pc but I saw it used for the PS3 the other day so I couldn't resist. Been wanting to play it and my PS3 library is sad so I jumped on it.

On topic: Very good investigation guys, keep it up! Makes me sad I don't have a 38xx to check out this stuff myself.
Jokerzwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 02:32 PM   #23
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

saving a screenshot to a compressed and overall reducing of quality format - (JPEG) is inaccurate for comparing AA and this review does just that...

...i read this article prior to reading any kind of comments or responses and intuition has me thinking that too much of a big deal in terms of marketing and hype is being put forth

Quote:
"Ubisoft are at the forefront of technology adoption, as showcased with the fantastic Assassin’s Creed title. In this instance our developer relations team worked directly with the developer and found an area of code that could be executed more optimally under DX10.1 operation, thus benefiting the ATI Radeon HD 3000 Series."

there is less feeling from this being a massive deal... its averagely 20% improved AA performance, but is that consistent? consider what all the frames tend towards... higher or lower?
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 02:46 PM   #24
AlexV
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by erek View Post
saving a screenshot to a compressed and overall reducing of quality format - (JPEG) is inaccurate for comparing AA and this review does just that...

...i read this article prior to reading any kind of comments or responses and intuition has me thinking that too much of a big deal in terms of marketing and hype is being put forth

[/i]there is less feeling from this being a massive deal... its averagely 20% improved AA performance, but is that consistent? consider what all the frames tend towards... higher or lower?
Yes, because an edge can suddenly receive no AA when JPEG is used. Really.

Do you have trouble accesing the high resolution pngs?You know, the ones we put up going through quite a bit of pain so ppl can actually compare IQ?The ones included in the article you're commenting about?You're the first one.

The last paragraph is incredibly hard to understand-what are you inquiring about?
Old May 1, 2008, 03:03 PM   #25
erek
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgoth Bauglir View Post
Yes, because an edge can suddenly receive no AA when JPEG is used. Really.

Do you have trouble accesing the high resolution pngs?You know, the ones we put up going through quite a bit of pain so ppl can actually compare IQ?The ones included in the article you're commenting about?You're the first one.
the reduction of quality by using JPEG compression changes the image, so its inaccurate. i am far from saying anything about AA being gone, but an image in JPEG format is less than desirable for close scrutinty... scrutinizing a similar looking picture is far from the real deal...in general

http://www.rage3d.com/image.php?pic=/articles/assassinscreed/pics/aadx101.jpg&comment=AA%20as%20seen%20on%20the%203870X2%20with%20SP1%20installed
(aadx101.jpg)

that's one of the image links i get directly from:
http://www.rage3d.com/articles/assas.../index.php?p=4
Old May 1, 2008, 03:08 PM   #26
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
the reduction of quality by using JPEG compression changes the image, so its inaccurate. i am far from saying anything about AA being gone, but an image in JPEG format is less than desirable for close scrutinty... scrutinizing a similar looking picture is far from the real deal...in general
Then reference the pictures from the addendum article.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2008, 03:08 PM   #27
AlexV
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:

http://www.rage3d.com/image.php?pic=...P1%20installed
(aadx101.jpg)

that's one of the image links i get directly from:
http://www.rage3d.com/articles/assas.../index.php?p=4
You are aware that you're posting comments in the thread that's dedicated to an article about AC that adresses that very concern of yours, yes?One about IQ?With high-resolution PNGs included?Per pixel comparisons?

You are also aware that the article you're talking about had a different purpose, and for showing that an edge receives no AA with DX10 whilst it is being AAed with 10.1 a JPEG is more than adequate-it is not adequate for comparing overall IQ, of course...and so we come back to what I wrote in the first paragraph.
Old May 1, 2008, 03:26 PM   #28
erek
Banned

i understand now, sorry

...still though there is better ways to relate your understanding to others... took a bit more paying attention cause of the lack of emphasis on what's overall going on... had to re-read towards the end of the first page and the page with the sp1/no sp1 comparisons

Last edited by erek : May 1, 2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old May 1, 2008, 03:32 PM   #29
AlexV
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
i understand now, sorry

...still though there is better ways to relate your understanding to others... took a bit more paying attention cause of the lack of emphasis on what's overall going on... had to re-read towards the end of the first page and the page with the sp1/no sp1 comparisons
Ehm?
Old May 1, 2008, 03:40 PM   #30
erek
Banned

Quote:
Ehm?
Quote:
You are also aware that the article you're talking about had a different purpose, and for showing that an edge receives no AA with DX10 whilst it is being AAed with 10.1 a JPEG is more than adequate-it is not adequate for comparing overall IQ, of course...and so we come back to what I wrote in the first paragraph.
...i didn't get that from my first look at the review, and had to look "deeper" to understand the purpose of the article...