Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Jun 3, 2008, 11:34 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

ATI Technologies ATI 3870X2 CrossfireX Review - Part III: Path Less Traveled

Here we are, finally ready to wrap up the 3870X2 investigation, after spending quite a bit of time with the red bicephalous monster. We'll be taking a few liberties in this final part, doing some of the things avoided in Part I and Part II, mainly because the games we'll be going through are not ones you usually see dissected by reviewers.

ATI 3870X2 CrossfireX Review - Part III: Path Less Traveled
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 01:00 PM   #2
jam2k

jam2k is still being judged by the masses

Thanks.

CrossfireX is definitely in good shape for 4800 arrival !

BTW there's an error in page 7:

Code:
Error loading image 3870X2 - No AA
Error loading image 3870X2 - 2X AA

jam2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 01:09 PM   #3
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Thanks jam2k, fixed.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 3, 2008, 01:11 PM   #4
spajdr
Bankrupt

spajdr is still being judged by the masses

Lets hope that crossfire wont be borked on nextgen ati cards, since it took ATI nearly year to improve crossfire radically, but still you need to rename some exe files to get big boost
spajdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 01:13 PM   #5
cvearl
God uses ATI.

cvearl is still being judged by the masses

Nice work!

C.

Welcome to Flight sim 2012 - http://youtu.be/rmZNMjn30XQ

The add ons...

Planes - http://www.carenado.com/CarSite/Port...ccion=products
Scenery - http://fullterrain.com/
Enviroment - http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/
Hardware - http://www.saitek.com/
cvearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 01:17 PM   #6
jam2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by spajdr View Post
Lets hope that crossfire wont be borked on nextgen ati cards, since it took ATI nearly year to improve crossfire radically, but still you need to rename some exe files to get big boost
Yep, I wonder why ATI doesn't apply the 'AFR-Friendly3D.exe' profile by default ...
Old Jun 3, 2008, 01:22 PM   #7
AlexV
Radeon Northern Islands

AlexV is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by jam2k View Post
Yep, I wonder why ATI doesn't apply the 'AFR-Friendly3D.exe' profile by default ...
Because there are a lot of scenarios where it doesn't work. That profile exists as a developer tool: during development, you rename your exe and check for AFR breaking behavior.
AlexV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 02:30 PM   #8
friskyolive
Looking down on you!

friskyolive is still being judged by the masses

Nice review, guys! I really hope that amd/ati does in fact use profiles for games..It's unfortunate to players having to dish out coin for a "ghetto" approach. In truth, I rather have a single GPU solution without having to become frustrated in choosing appropriate exe's..unless of course a temporary sticky is made by offering alternate exe's for specific games.

[CPU]: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Quad Core Processor AM3 3.4GHZ 8MB Cache 125W 45NM [MOBO]: ASUS M4A78T-E ATX 790GX Socket AM3 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI HDMI Video Sound GBLAN Motherboard[GPU]: Powercolor Radeon HD 5770 In Crossfire [SOUND]: Corsair Gaming Audio Series CA-HS1A Headset 50MM Drivers Circumaural Earcups and the Creative Sound Blaster X-FI TITANIUM Fatality PRO with Yamaha 5590 Receiver[MEMORY]: OCZ (OCZ3G1600LV4GK) DDR3 1600MHz Gold Edition Low Voltage 4GB (2x2048MB) Dual Channel and G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB [MONITOR]: DELL U2410, 24W, OPT/FPWS,CUS [HD]: Western Digital 320GB and 1 TB Black Edition [Optical Drives]: LG GSA-4167B Dual Layer DVD±R/RW Drive [PSU]: Corsair HX 1000 watt [OS]: Win7 64-bit Professional On a Antec 1200 Full Tower Case.
friskyolive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 03:04 PM   #9
spajdr
Bankrupt

spajdr is still being judged by the masses

Its even more frustrating, when some MMORPG checks for name of file and when you rename it, you cant run it, so if game runs poorly without renaming, you are screwed for at least month until ATI fixes it.
spajdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 03:06 PM   #10
jam2k

I have hopes that something of this will change with 4870X2.
Old Jun 3, 2008, 06:18 PM   #11
icecold1983
Radeon Arctic Islands

icecold1983 is still being judged by the masses

what resolution were the tests at?

http://gawker.com/5002269/the-cruise...ed-to-suppress

AHAHAHAH WTF IS HE TALKING ABOUT??????????
icecold1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 06:19 PM   #12
AlexV
Radeon Northern Islands

AlexV is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecold1983 View Post
what resolution were the tests at?
1920x1200 as usual.
AlexV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 06:45 PM   #13
narciso
Rage3D Veteran

narciso is still being judged by the masses

Nice review, and that shows that we have 50% chance of not getting any crossfire support without some exe renaming.
ATI need some serious driver improving.
Another conclusion that we can get is quadfire is a waste of money.
narciso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 07:36 PM   #14
Greasy
ODI

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I thought SLI was a PITA. They (both) have a long way to go before this multi gpu thing is gonna work out the way it should. I really hope ATI brings a winner next go around.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2008, 08:33 PM   #15
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

actually for the improvements in 8.4, 8.5 and the beta 8.6, the driver team deserve a hand cf needs more but it's alot better than it was
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 12:54 AM   #16
Dwarden
Bohemia Interactive

Dwarden can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDwarden can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Lightbulb

very nice article and it clearly shows that CF and CFX badly needs public online profile database ...
ideally combined with application profiles in drivers ...
needed CCC features == online up2date Game profiles or ALL features of ATT / RadeonPro (if you fail deliver don't even try say You got technical advantage)
Dwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 07:00 AM   #17
JethroBodine
Banned

JethroBodine is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
I thought SLI was a PITA. They (both) have a long way to go before this multi gpu thing is gonna work out the way it should. I really hope ATI brings a winner next go around.
Why is SLi a "PITA"?

There's no waiting for profiles as mentioned above, the games all ship with them or NVIDIA launches them the day of. No "month wait".

If there wasn't a profile by some chance, you can:

A. Create your own after testing if AFR1, AFR2, SFR work best with the game. (can't do this with CF)

B. Force a global render method (AFR1, AFR2, SFR) in the CP, instead of just using one mode like CF.

I've used SLi since 6800GT SLi, it's been anything but a PITA.
JethroBodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 08:44 AM   #18
WaltC
Captain Know-it-all

Location: United States Deep in Martian soil where it's warm and the air is good
WaltC is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroBodine View Post
Why is SLi a "PITA"?

There's no waiting for profiles as mentioned above, the games all ship with them or NVIDIA launches them the day of. No "month wait".
SLI is limited to the same extra-API situation as CrossfireX: it's up to the IHV (nVidia or ATi) to code SLI/CrossfireX support into its drivers to support 3d games. It's not a game developer scenario, remember. You are right about there being "no month wait" for official SLI support to come from nVidia--sometimes such support takes several months in line with nVidia's sporadic driver release schedule...

Quote:
Glad to see you really do understand what I said above... There's actually no "chance" about it. The IHV either codes his drivers to support SLI/CFX in a given game or he doesn't, and of course you cannot write code support into your drivers for games that have not yet been released at the time your driver version is released. That's why I find ATi's driver release schedule far better than nVidia's--ATi's is regular and predictable, nVidia's is anything but.

Quote:
A. Create your own after testing if AFR1, AFR2, SFR work best with the game. (can't do this with CF)
I guess you missed the comments above about renaming the executable. The only reason you have to do that is because ATi hasn't yet formally supported the game in CFX. This strikes me as being identical to what you describe having to do when you encounter a game that nVidia has yet to code for SLI support in the current driver set. The methodology might be technically different, but the reason you have to do this at all in either case is the same: it's because the IHV hasn't yet coded SLI/CFX support into his drivers for a particular game.

Quote:
B. Force a global render method (AFR1, AFR2, SFR) in the CP, instead of just using one mode like CF.
I don't suppose it has occurred to you that some games don't work well or at all when forcing them into AFR1, or AFR2 or SFR path. So what good is such a global profile, exactly, when you have to change it around among the different games which are not supported in the current nVidia driver?

Again, nVidia's and ATi's situation in this regard is identical: neither SLI nor CFX is supported in the D3d or OpenGL API's, and proper support for SLI/CFX must come from the IHV since it won't come from any other source.

Quote:
Well, the fact is, I think, that wholly 50% of a given 3d accelerator's value comes from its drivers, and the fact that ATi has a regular, monthly WHQL driver release schedule is something I consider to be very important for the support of old and new games alike. I'm now running a pair of VT HD3870 512 OC's in CrossfireX--which replaced a BFG 8800 GT OC, btw--and I couldn't be more pleased. To me, ATi's regular driver-release schedule is a compelling draw and I think a solid reason to recommend ATi over nVidia.

Don't misunderstand--I liked the 8800 GT and thought it was an excellent product for the months I that I used it. I found nVidia's control panel support formula, however, to be far less intuitive and far more confusing than ATi's control panel formula, though. nVidia's driver release unpredictability however made me glad to return to the Catalyst format.
Old Jun 4, 2008, 09:03 AM   #19
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly once held a door open for a complete strangerSIrPauly once held a door open for a complete strangerSIrPauly once held a door open for a complete stranger

Hi WaltC! Good to see you're still gaming..........but always will remember you as CheckMate!
SIrPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 09:42 AM   #20
ChrisRay
1983 - 2010

ChrisRay is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroBodine View Post
Why is SLi a "PITA"?

The above post is incorrect. Jethro's first SLI configuration was dual 6600GTs. He has just selectively blocked the experience.

Chris

--

|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.2 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 10:17 AM   #21
TheNGTV
EGG

TheNGTV is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay View Post
The above post is incorrect. Jethro's first SLI configuration was dual 6600GTs. He has just selectively blocked the experience.

Chris

For its time, 2 6600GTs were a great combo if you didn't run hi-res too often. It did go quite close to the 68U overall.
TheNGTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2008, 08:19 PM   #22
-n7-
Radeon Arctic Islands

-n7- is still being judged by the masses

Thanx for this more revealing review.

The review shows one of many reasons why i will likely never ever go Crossfire again.

I used my 3870X2 for all of 30 minutes before i knew there wasn't a chance it'd be staying in my possession.

The one other huge issue that really should be looked at is the horrible fps drops, stuttering/chugging, & input lag that comes along as a bonus.

SLi might have slightly better built in profile support, but it too suffers from basically the same issues as CF, & as an added bonus, you're forced to relive to the horrors of single display use with it enabled.

n7

n7
-n7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 8, 2008, 05:02 PM   #23
Debello
Not built for speed

Debello is still being judged by the masses

Nice read.

I finally have my HD3870 X2 crossfire system up, running and actually working. Cant wait to play around with it for a couple moths before it gets replaced with a new system.