Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Sep 18, 2008, 02:54 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

ATI Technologies AYBABTU - A Rage3D Interview with Eric Demers (Discussion Thread)

Rage3D sits down with AMD's Eric Demers to discuss Radeon technologies and reveal how one earns the right to say AYBABTU!

'Under the IHS' Interview: Click Here
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 03:15 PM   #2
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Well done Alex. My exact thoughts on Open CL and Cuda.
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 03:29 PM   #3
sireric
ATI Guru

sireric is still being judged by the masses

Yes, well done Alex.
sireric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 18, 2008, 03:31 PM   #4
Gerard
Rage3D Veteran

Gerard is still being judged by the masses

*scratches head*

Btw eric you really need to get a new pr pic, that ones from around 2003 or so isnt it?
Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 03:34 PM   #5
sireric
ATI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard View Post
*scratches head*

Btw eric you really need to get a new pr pic, that ones from around 2003 or so isnt it?
Yeah, I know (I'm better looking now ;-)). I took one with my phone and sent it to Alex as well -- when I saw it on the page (preview), it scarred me. I'm supposed to get some sort of head shot to replace the current one in a couple of weeks. I just don't take good pictures. Some sort of evil curse.

Last edited by sireric : Sep 18, 2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 03:41 PM   #6
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by sireric View Post
I took one with my phone and sent it to Alex as well -- when I saw it on the page (preview), it scarred me.
It scared me too, so we pulled it with a Quake-style headshot and stuck w/ your 2003 hottie shot.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 03:43 PM   #7
AlexV
Radeon Northern Islands

AlexV is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Yeah, I know (I'm better looking now ;-)). I took one with my phone and sent it to Alex as well -- when I saw it on the page (preview), it scarred me. I'm supposed to get some sort of head shot to replace the current one in a couple of weeks. I just don't take good pictures. Some sort of evil curse.
Actually, it's because you used an iPhone...
AlexV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 03:53 PM   #8
sireric
ATI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexV View Post
Actually, it's because you used an iPhone...
Your ninja-photoshop skills weren't up to snuff perhaps?
Old Sep 18, 2008, 03:59 PM   #9
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly once held a door open for a complete strangerSIrPauly once held a door open for a complete strangerSIrPauly once held a door open for a complete stranger

Great job and outstanding questions -- enjoyed the inter-connect and Super-AA questions!
SIrPauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 04:07 PM   #10
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Did I miss where 'AYBABTU' was explained?

Also, needs moar facepalm.

And did Eric really say trademark when repeating the word 'Radeon'?
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 04:10 PM   #11
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post

You just earned moar facepalm.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 04:15 PM   #12
AlexV
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Your ninja-photoshop skills weren't up to snuff perhaps?
Oh, those....never had em
Old Sep 18, 2008, 04:18 PM   #13
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
I get plenty helping you learn how to use computers.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 04:21 PM   #14
sireric
ATI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post

Sorry, it's a nervous (tm) tick I have (tm)...
Old Sep 18, 2008, 04:23 PM   #15
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

, its ok - if thats the worst you've gotten from explaining the difference between VLIW and superscalar, then at least you've got a career in PR ahead of you!
Old Sep 18, 2008, 09:14 PM   #16
Xion X2
AA me, baby.

Xion X2 is still being judged by the masses

Nice interview.

I could be wrong in my thinking, but this comment here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sireric
The interconnect offers the same features as the PCIe interconnect, plus it allows for a GPU to broadcast memory writes to its own memory and to the other GPU's. The data exchangeable is any data that the driver would desire.
--seemed to suggest that the sideport would allow GPU1/GPU2 to share the frame buffer?

Perhaps I'm just hoping that's what was meant.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 09:21 PM   #17
sireric
ATI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
Nice interview.

I could be wrong in my thinking, but this comment here:

--seemed to suggest that the sideport would allow GPU1/GPU2 to share the frame buffer?

Perhaps I'm just hoping that's what was meant.
I don't exactly know what you mean by "sharing", but it's just that when one writes, it can write both to its own local memory, as well as the remote, at the same time.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 09:30 PM   #18
Xion X2
AA me, baby.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll see if I can elaborate a little more, although my knowledge in this area's limited.

With the sideport enabled, would both GPUs have the capability to share the 2GB VRAM for rendering purposes (high-res textures and multisampling AA?)

My understanding is that 4870X2 was designed with 2GB VRAM because the GPUs couldn't share a 1GB, therefore effectively splitting it in half (512 for each GPU.) So by equipping the card w/ 2GB of VRAM, each GPU would have access to 1GB.

Does the sideport resolve that issue so that both GPUs have access to share the 2GB for rendering? I'm guessing not and that I'm misunderstanding the exact function of it.

Last edited by Xion X2 : Sep 18, 2008 at 09:35 PM.
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:12 PM   #19
sireric
ATI Guru

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. I'll see if I can elaborate a little more, although my knowledge in this area's limited.

With the sideport enabled, would both GPUs have the capability to share the 2GB VRAM for rendering purposes (high-res textures and multisampling AA?)

My understanding is that 4870X2 was designed with 2GB VRAM because the GPUs couldn't share a 1GB, therefore effectively splitting it in half (512 for each GPU.) So by equipping the card w/ 2GB of VRAM, each GPU would have access to 1GB.

Does the sideport resolve that issue so that both GPUs have access to share the 2GB for rendering? I'm guessing not and that I'm misunderstanding the exact function of it.
Well, they can already split certain things already -- For example, the display buffer can be 1/2 in one, and 1/2 in the other. The parts unique to each are kept only in their own memory, without duplication. In a way, that's "sharing" as you envision it, I believe.

But to "truly" share memory, each ASIC would need full read and write access to the "other" memory, as well as having a significant amount of the bandwidth made available (say equal amounts remote as local). If they only had read/write, but much less bw, then it would be a numa type system, and it's not clear how useful that would be, performance-wise.

In our case with sideport, it's a write only memory, which much less bandwidth than local GDDR memory. Consequently, some things can be accelerated (like generating the same render target on both, using the broadcast write), but, in general, you need to have copies of everything needed in each memory -- You need to be able to read it, and have enough BW reading it to not slow you down too much.

Consequently, for now, AFR still ends up being the best way to get both rendering and geometry acceleration. The added BW and write capabilities of the sideport won't generally be used in AFR, since each is working on their own thing. But we are looking at non-AFR ways in the future, to accelerate rendering in multi-gpu, without duplicating the data.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:52 PM   #20
Lux
Radeon R600

Lux is still being judged by the masses

Many thanks for the interview etc - it is quite remarkable that somebody in your position takes so much time over the years to communicate with fanbase. Thank you for that!

My question would be - any info on if/when ATI plans to release new amazing Ruby demo, to showcase the really amazing hardware 4000-series is?
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:57 PM   #21
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Rage3D: Hello Eric, it's a pleasure to finally meet you!

Eric: Well, we are only meeting on the phone…
i knew it was gonna be an awesome article right at the start
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 10:58 PM   #22
sireric
ATI Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
Many thanks for the interview etc - it is quite remarkable that somebody in your position takes so much time over the years to communicate with fanbase. Thank you for that!

My question would be - any info on if/when ATI plans to release new amazing Ruby demo, to showcase the really amazing hardware 4000-series is?
Not 100% sure on demo status -- The froblins was released, I believe. As for some of the other stuff, like otoy related ones, I'm not sure if those will be released or not.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:01 PM   #23
Xion X2
AA me, baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
Indeed we do appreciate it, Eric. Thanks for your last clarification.

My thanks to the driver team as well as they're doing some excellent work thus far. Please let them know it's appreciated by us.. especially those of us with high-end setups (Crossfire.) I've seen some significant performance increases in these last two driver sets in DX10 games like Crysis and Lost Planet. Crossfire scaling in itself has been incredible in most games I've tested. Aside from performance, each driver has been stable, with very few bugs, if any.

In regards to AFR, I'm wondering if ATI is keeping tabs on Lucid's new multi-GPU tech, the Hydra. Not sure if you can speak to that or not, but it sounds as if it has a lot of potential.

Last edited by Xion X2 : Sep 18, 2008 at 11:06 PM.
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:05 PM   #24
sireric
ATI Guru

Quote:
Indeed we do appreciate it, Eric. Thanks for your last clarification.

My thanks to the driver team as well as they're doing some excellent work thus far. Please let them know it's appreciated by us.. especially those of us with high-end setups (Crossfire.) I've seen some significant performance increases in these last two driver sets in DX10 games like Crysis and Lost Planet. Crossfire scaling in itself has been incredible in most games I've tested.

Aside from performance, each driver has been stable, with very few bugs, if any.
Those guys do read the forums and they send their thanks, I'm sure. They are a superb bunch of people and do work very hard. It's somewhat of a thankless job (people only complain), and very tricky and demanding. They've made huge improvements on stability and performance in the last year, and there's much more to come...
Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:14 PM   #25
Xion X2
AA me, baby.

Quote:
It's somewhat of a thankless job (people only complain), and very tricky and demanding.
Yeah, I can imagine that. It's a good thing they have you as a conduit to communicate at least a little appreciation from some of us.

Their effort hasn't gone unnoticed, and for those of us who pour a significant amount of money and time/effort into this stuff, they are our best friend(s). I always look forward to their next piece of work.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 11:24 PM   #26
sireric
ATI Guru

Quote:
In regards to AFR, I'm wondering if ATI is keeping tabs on Lucid's new multi-GPU tech, the Hydra. Not sure if you can speak to that or not, but it sounds as if it has a lot of potential.
Yes, we do keep tabs on that kind of technology. There are different possibilities for scaling -- We are investigating some of those for the future, of course.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 06:06 AM   #27
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Kombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationKombatant has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Subscriber

Eric, long time no talk.. and yes btw, he is much better looking these days than the 2003 era
Old Sep 19, 2008, 06:15 AM   #28
AlexV
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
But to "truly" share memory, each ASIC would need full read and write access to the "other" memory, as well as having a significant amount of the bandwidth made available (say equal amounts remote as local). If they only had read/write, but much less bw, then it would be a numa type system, and it's not clear how useful that would be, performance-wise.
Ah, merde, I just figured out a question I could've/should've asked and didn't. Oh, well...next time.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 09:38 AM   #29
jam2k

jam2k is still being judged by the masses

Great interview, very interesting stuff.
jam2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2008, 11:00 AM   #30
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexV View Post
Ah, merde, I just figured out a question I could've/should've asked and didn't. Oh, well...next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post

All your facepalm belong to alex!