Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jul 28, 2009, 01:06 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Cooling Rage3D Review: Xigmatek HDT-S1283 HSF

Caveman-jim has another review hot off the griddle, this time the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 with a side helping of a XLF-F1253 fan. Check it out!

Today we'll be looking at an aftermarket heatsink and fan combo, the Xigmatek HDT-S1283. This tower heatsink uses three heat pipes and a 120mm fan to cool your CPU. In this review, we'll pit the HDT-S1283 against a stock AMD cooler and see what happens if we swap in sleeve bearing equipped Xigmatek XLF-F1253 fan.

Xigmatek HDT-S1283 Review
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 01:55 PM   #2
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Very nice review, Jim. TBH, however, I think the Mugen 2 is a better value for the $. Just my .02.
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 02:12 PM   #3
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Caveman solid review, I agree that the 1283 is one of the best values in heatsinks right now. I would suggest however that AMD users make use of this heatsink with a notice of additional information.

The design of the 1283 limits the heatsink orientation to only one direction. This is fine if you have a chimney fan, ie top of case but when you only have a rear exhasut my testing showed that the heatsink gave up 4 more degrees C on average.

Sunbeam and SilenX

Offer the same design principle, similiar performance and pricing with a mounting system that offers top or back orientation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Very nice review, Jim. TBH, however, I think the Mugen 2 is a better value for the $. Just my .02.
That beast looks impressive.

#SapphireNation

Last edited by Crisler : Jul 28, 2009 at 02:15 PM.
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 28, 2009, 03:38 PM   #4
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Mugen is a nice looking cooler, and I'll work on getting some review materials from them.

Regarding the orientation, I think it's due to making it compatible with so many sockets. For me I think its the right choice due to the benefits of mounting the heatpipes flat wrt to the ground, so the liquid wick doesn't pool in one arm only. If you have a top mounted psu it'll pull air out and through it, with the rear fan pulling across the fins to help airflow; if you have a bottom mounted psu with no top mount, then the air will be pulled out through the rear fan as well.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 03:44 PM   #5
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Mugen is a nice looking cooler, and I'll work on getting some review materials from them.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 04:14 PM   #6
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Thanks for taking the time to write that review, Jim! I will have to read it when I get a chance later.

Lupine, I made a news thread pointing to the review, as well.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2009, 04:30 PM   #7
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android1 View Post
Lupine, I made a news thread pointing to the review, as well.
Thanks!
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:29 AM   #8
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Im using the DK-S1283 on the i7 (D0) at 3.8ghz with 1.22volts. With IBT on full blast core1 never go above 76c. Core 2-4 usually stay between 69-72. The system usually idles around 38c.

Awesome cooler even for someone like myself who stays in a fairly warm and humid environment.
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2009, 09:52 PM   #9
JesterOnYer6
Banned

JesterOnYer6 is still being judged by the masses

So easy a caveman did it.
JesterOnYer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2009, 05:47 PM   #10
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterOnYer6 View Post
Old Jul 30, 2009, 06:16 PM   #11
traitoR
Galactic Butterfly

traitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterOnYer6 View Post
LOL !

The dream of eternal life is far more compelling than living one.
traitoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2012, 08:50 PM   #12
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

This turned out to be a good purchase for me. This weekend I pulled it out of a computer that has been running 24/7 for the past four years minus a few power outages. The fan is still in good shape and I'm moving this fan/heatsink to another computer that sees light duty. I didn't expect the fan to last, but it did.

Thanks go to Caveman for pointing this product out to me. I bought it on 4/8/2008 - about a year before he reviewed it. The review date must be wrong or he took his time writing it.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2012, 06:52 AM   #13
Android1
Radeon Polaris 20 XL

Android1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird singsAndroid1 knows why the caged bird sings

Mine too is still going strong after four years. The HDT design makes applying thermal paste more difficult, and mounting the fan with the included rubber widgets can be a pain, but it is a great product overall.
Android1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:10 AM   #14
wonder squirrel
Godlike

wonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete stranger

This is kind of random, but can you make a drop down box with the sections of the review, (first impressions, stock testing, OC testing, conclusions, etc.) so you can go straight to the section you want to read about instead of clicking next, next, next.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 10:23 AM   #15
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonder squirrel View Post
This is kind of random, but can you make a drop down box with the sections of the review, (first impressions, stock testing, OC testing, conclusions, etc.) so you can go straight to the section you want to read about instead of clicking next, next, next.
This review's template is no longer used, but even in it there indeed is a drop down menu. Click on "page list" top right.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:39 AM   #16
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

It's amazing how there can be so many different tower heat-sinks, with that same basic boring design, and still have so much variation between them. I suppose if I was using them, I'd be more interested. But now every time I go into a heat-sink review and see it's just another tower, I skip to the end and just read the last paragraph. Sealed/Closed Loop systems are becoming that to me too, "Oh, another Corsair HXX wannabe". Although I briefly owned a H100 a month ago and it was indeed a really good cooler. Pump was quieter than my Swiftech kit. It even cooled better. But that's only because it would ramp the fan speeds pretty high. I'm starting to think though that I prefer the sound of fans over pump whine. I currently control my pump speeds through software as it's connected to the mobo using pwm. That keeps the whining down.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 02:32 PM   #17
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

The self contained liquid cooler products really focused the heatsink market, pushed the price down and made some better products more affordable.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2012, 04:34 PM   #18
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Lets face it Thermalright made the perfect heatsink with the True. There still isn't a heatsink on the market that does a noticeably better job at around the same size.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote