Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jul 30, 2010, 01:34 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Computer Case Rage3D Reviews Cooler Master's HAF X

Following up on our recent review of the HAF 922 & HAF 932 cases, our resident caveman pokes & prods Cooler Master's latest HAF creation, the HAF X!

Cooler Master's beastly new HAF X full tower gets built out by the Caveman with an i7, two ATI Radeon HD 5870 2GB Eyefinity 6 cards and a dremel. Check out our review of the newest Cooler Master High Air Flow full tower, complete with pics!

Check out Rage3D's Cooler Master HAF X Case Review
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 01:41 PM   #2
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Really neat case in terms of features, but it's soooo ugly - at least in the eyes of this beholder.

This is why I'm so excited for the Corsair 600T. It's got a lot (though not all) of the same awesomeness feature-wise, but doesn't look like it was design as a background prop for a sci-fi movie of the week

Now if only they would release the damn thing
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 06:39 PM   #3
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

I wanted to say. My 932 came with the roller pegs (wheels for the bottom of the case) he states his does not and hence why it got a lower score.

But they do come with rollers, he just didn't get them

Might want to fix that, don't know.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 30, 2010, 08:49 PM   #4
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
I wanted to say. My 932 came with the roller pegs (wheels for the bottom of the case) he states his does not and hence why it got a lower score.

Might want to fix that, don't know.
The HAF X brings more improvements to the table than just roller wheels, so even if that's not a differentiating factor its still a superior chassis to the 932.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 09:07 PM   #5
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post

We noted in the HAF 932 that some people got roller feet, but I didn't. The addition of roller feet is a plus for the HAF X regardless of it the HAF 932 had them added as a production run addition or original equipment.

I'm looking at you Lup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
The HAF X brings more improvements to the table than just roller wheels, so even if that's not a differentiating factor its still a superior chassis to the 932.
The price went up along with the improvements, which makes it less accessible despite being even more awesomesauce.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2010, 10:09 PM   #6
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
I'm looking at you Lup.
I was going to send the rollers along, but they were just too nice an upgrade for my rollerblades.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 11:55 PM   #7
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Good review BTW. One minor thing potentially worth considering for future case reviews. I can't be sure, but from the pictures, it doesn't look like there's any convenient way to pick up the cases other than their bottoms. Not a big deal, but it's nice when a case has a front and rear lips or handles so you can pick them up securly with having to slide your fingers under the bottom.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:22 AM   #8
Mystik
Radeon Arctic Islands

Mystik is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
Not a big deal, but it's nice when a case has a front and rear lips or handles so you can pick them up securly with having to slide your fingers under the bottom.
that's what she said.

otherwise, good review.
i wouldn't mind one of these cases but i still have to love my p180.

my house can get pretty dusty at times so that case would look like a
sasquach after a month or 2.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 03:39 AM   #9
dawdler
Radeon Caribbean Islands

dawdler is still being judged by the masses

Sorry to say it, but I'm a little dissapointed with the review.

No temperature readings? No performance comparisons with other cases? No noise tests?

If I wanted to know how the case looked on the outside, inside and how its believed to cool good, I'd visit Coolermasters site :/
dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 04:07 AM   #10
Mystik
Radeon Arctic Islands

Mystik is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawdler View Post
Sorry to say it, but I'm a little dissapointed with the review.

No temperature readings? No performance comparisons with other cases? No noise tests?

If I wanted to know how the case looked on the outside, inside and how its believed to cool good, I'd visit Coolermasters site :/
i think it's quite fine without those.

the case is fairly open and, even without fans, temperature would barely be
of any concern.

i'm.. not quite sure how to test the performance of a case.
"it held our components inside with a firm, but loving, grip. Each press of the
power or reset button gives you a feeling that many euphoric empathogens
give you, without any side effects."

i'm also not sure that person purchasing this case would care too much about
noise, considering the open design of it. the best you'd be able to do would
be to put slipstreams (which means someone would have to buy it for them)
and test with a sound meter with a range low enough to make a difference.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 07:02 AM   #11
dawdler
Radeon Caribbean Islands

dawdler is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystik View Post
i'm.. not quite sure how to test the performance of a case.
Similar to how other reviews does it? Measure temperatures during idle and load, measure dBa during idle and load. For HAF X in particular, the effect of the side fan options would be interesting to have in numbers, if only to see what difference it makes. The methodology should not be strange: Rage3D posted quite extensive temperature tests during the Noctua FLX review, in comparison. And that's just a darn fan you can replace with a "pfff, this is crap *throws out the window*", not a $200 case you're going to base your entire build on.

Quote:
the best you'd be able to do would
be to put slipstreams (which means someone would have to buy it for them)
and test with a sound meter with a range low enough to make a difference.
Why? Ignoring the fact that there are no 230mm and 200mm slipstreams, all you have to do is make to perform a dBa measurement at a specified distance and a specified ambient noise level. Perhaps you dont care about the noise when you buy it, but you're probably going to care 10 seconds after you've turned it on

But granted, perhaps it would be a futile exercise and show what other reviews show: HAF is noisier and cools similar to every other case with no apparent advantage.

Last edited by dawdler : Jul 31, 2010 at 07:07 AM.
dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2010, 05:29 PM   #12
Lupine
Administrator

Appreciate the feedback dawdler.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:46 AM   #13
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Not a big deal, but it's nice when a case has a front and rear lips or handles so you can pick them up securly with having to slide your fingers under the bottom.
That was my biggest issue in going from my CM Stacker 830 SE to the HAF X. I lost my nice handles at the top. So carrying is now something I have to do by grabbing around the whole case, instead of just by the handles at the top.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:50 AM   #14
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ristogod View Post
That was my biggest issue in going from my CM Stacker 830 SE to the HAF X. I lost my nice handles at the top. So carrying is now something I have to do by grabbing around the whole case, instead of just by the handles at the top.
That was a design feature I appreciated with my Cooler Master Cosmos:

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/prod...roduct_id=2700

Though that version of handles probably doesn't fit the design style of the HAF X, handles would be a nice addition if properly incorporated into the design.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 02:32 AM   #15
sygnus21
Single card only :)

sygnus21 is still being judged by the masses

I'm lovin this case

BTW I wouldn't have bought this if it did have handles since I don't transport my system anyway.

Here's my thoughts.... http://www.sevenforums.com/overclock...r-s-haf-x.html

Oh...yeah..... the case is whisper quiet.

Last edited by sygnus21 : Aug 4, 2010 at 02:44 AM.
sygnus21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:28 PM   #16
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Really neat case in terms of features, but it's soooo ugly - at least in the eyes of this beholder.

This is why I'm so excited for the Corsair 600T. It's got a lot (though not all) of the same awesomeness feature-wise, but doesn't look like it was design as a background prop for a sci-fi movie of the week

Now if only they would release the damn thing
The case features are really nice but the thing looks like a retarded transformer reject. Very fugly

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:34 PM   #17
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Seriously, finding a high-end case that doesn't look like it was designed with the aesthetic ideals of a teenager in mind is way more difficult than it should be.

Prior to the 600T popping up on the radar, the only other high-end/high-feature case that appealed to me visually is CoolerMaster's Cosmos, but that thing is so darn expensive.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 12:52 AM   #18
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

While tastes in appearance vary greatly from person to person, I don't see this case as being quite as ugly as many seem to indicate. In fact, if you compare it against the majority of cases you can buy on the market, I'd say it's pretty middle of the road in terms of aesthetics. While I actually enjoy the looks of the case, I can understand how some can derive distaste from it's appearance as it doesn't follow that ultra-refined look that many people crave. But I feel it's far from tacky or distasteful.

As has been suggested that the Corsair 600T is a better looking case, in my opinion, it is some what ugly to me. It's some very subtle things about it that just ruin the appearance. For instance, at first it appears sleek and refined. But the more I look at it, the more it bores me. Also, the transition between the front grills and the edge of the front looks to me to be a throw back to some earlier case designs of the past that I did not like. I can't put my finger on it, but it reminds me of something I've seen before and did not like.

Still I will agree that once they develop features and basic designs for these cases, it would be nice to offer them in a variety of different appearances, rather than a single model type that only appeals to some and not others.
Old Aug 5, 2010, 03:26 PM   #19
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Yeah the 600T is kind of boring, that's part of the reason I like it I don't want a shouty case.

I like rounded edges on a case, which is why I like the 600T and the Cosmos. In the past I've looked at stuff like Lian Li cases, which are also aesthetically simple, but excessivly so. I don't like the hard, squared edges; they're just cubes and they look too industrial to me.

I also somewhat like the design of the Thermaltake Element S, but I've got two problems with it. I don't like the eye-blindingly-red front bezel and, at least from photos, the quality of the plastic looks a lot cheaper than the 600T. The 600T shots are of a prototype though, so we'll have to see whether the quality on the final product matches.

Last edited by Sweetz : Aug 5, 2010 at 03:37 PM.