Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:02 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

ATI Technologies Rage3D Article: AMD Rebranding - The Death of ATI

AMD is completing the assimilation of ATI with their next generation Graphics product release, due later this year. This will be first generation without ATI branding, and the introduction of a fully AMD branded product line.

AMD Rebranding - The Death of ATI
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:09 PM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Farewell, ATI! I hope the AMD Radeon brand continues the success of the HD 5000 series when it is launched with the new product series this year. Bringing the graphics and processor branding together makes a lot of sense with FUSION APU's imminent.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:11 PM   #3
Roxen
Drunk sexy prick

Roxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Meh.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:13 PM   #4
erek
Banned

erek is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRoxen View Post
Meh.
you don't care?
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:17 PM   #5
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Its hard to see a brand like ATI go away, one that has such name recognition. But, the more I think about it, Radeon more than ATI is the key to that recognition. So as much as it pains me to see ATI finally retired, Radeon is still with us.

Please keep it red though. Green team vs ... green team just doesn't cut it.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:18 PM   #6
Roxen
Drunk sexy prick

Roxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by erek View Post
you don't care?

I think it's a pretty lame decision. I don't completely understand why they'd drop the ATi name.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:18 PM   #7
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Well then it is settled then, new shift in naming, well Radeon which is actually the biggy stays, plus I do like the red better too . We don't need two green teams in graphics, except AMD is more green per se then Nvidia is on another thought. If the 6xxx is as successful or better then the 5xxx series, looks very good so far, then this shift probably will go very smooth as well with some great products making that name look even better. Probably the best way to do this with a winning product line coming down the pike at full speed +.
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:18 PM   #8
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRoxen View Post
I think it's a pretty lame decision. I don't completely understand why they'd drop the ATi name.
Did you read the article?
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:19 PM   #9
Roxen
Drunk sexy prick

Nope, but I don't think anything it says is going to justify it to me.

edit: caption under the ruby doll picture says "SirEirc's Ruby Doll"

Last edited by Roxen : Aug 29, 2010 at 11:23 PM.
Roxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:25 PM   #10
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

That's to see if you were reading it. If you read it, then you'll have information on the 'why' that you were missing.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 11:38 PM   #11
Dungeoncrawler
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwardsDungeoncrawler can recite pi backwards

Would be interesting to have the ability to sit-in on one of these board-decisions. The aquisition of Alienware by Dell is another prime example. Unlike AMD however they decided to maintain the Alienware brand. Personally, don't think AMD deserves to be associated with ati at this point anyways.
Dungeoncrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:15 AM   #12
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Sad to see the ATI name go. But it's nostalgia more than anything, I understand why AMD is doing it, it makes sense.

What I don't understand is why the hell they would allow Radeon stickers on notebook systems without the AMD name on them. That is a colossal mistake!
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:28 AM   #13
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Does AMD now need to update their logo?
Its been the same since i can remember....
they just pretty it up every so often.

I think Intel's updated their logo 2-3 times already.

Looks like nVidia is the last graphics card company standing from the many that existed but evaporated over the years.

I dont think anyone will really notice immediately if all the boxes still look the same. Its just that instead of a big "ATI" logo in the corner it'll be a "RADEON" logo with a small AMD logo underneath (thats assuming the ATI branded ones).
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset

Last edited by Sasquach : Aug 30, 2010 at 12:34 AM.
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 01:20 AM   #14
Dyre Straits
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Dyre Straits is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dungeoncrawler View Post
...... Personally, don't think AMD deserves to be associated with ATI at this point anyways.
Pretty much sums up my own opinion of the matter. I have not liked the union between AMD and ATI from the git-go and this only gives me reason to dislike it even more.

In fact, I dislike this move so much that I may just give the green team a try on my next upgrade. And, that's from someone who has never, EVER, put a nV video card into any system I've bulit for myself since the early 1990s.

The "death" of ATI is a very, very sad affair to me.
~Windows 10 x64 Professional~Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H~Intel I7-3770K~8x2 GB DDR3 Crucial Ballistic 1600 RAM (Dual Channel)~RealTek Onboard~XFX R9 390 8GB GDDR5~3 Acer 27 inch LCDs~SCEPTRE 505 4K UHD TVand one Sanyo 32 inch HDTV connected via Intel onboard GPU~SATA BluRay RW~1000 W PSU~And a Whole Lot More!~AND....1 TB XBOX ONE~1 PS4 with Uncharted Bundle~

Quote:
If you have an issue with what you said, please resolve it in private ;)
Dyre Straits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 01:22 AM   #15
Roxen
Drunk sexy prick

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
That's to see if you were reading it. If you read it, then you'll have information on the 'why' that you were missing.
I read it, I understood the reasons to do it before reading, but I still don't like it. Don't read into it.

Last edited by Roxen : Aug 30, 2010 at 01:37 AM.
Roxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 04:13 AM   #16
Uroboros
Radeon R520

Uroboros is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyre Straits View Post
Pretty much sums up my own opinion of the matter. I have not liked the union between AMD and ATI from the git-go and this only gives me reason to dislike it even more.

In fact, I dislike this move so much that I may just give the green team a try on my next upgrade. And, that's from someone who has never, EVER, put a nV video card into any system I've bulit for myself since the early 1990s.

Wow, so much drama over a name change/drop.

It's not like they've annouced that the job of designing and building video cards is being turned over to trained monkees.

Whatever ATI is today is what ATI will be after the name is dropped. People who want to buy ATI will know what to do. The rest of the general public buys whatever the salesperson convinces them to buy.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 04:44 AM   #17
Faceless Rebel
Rage3D Veteran

Faceless Rebel can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFaceless Rebel can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

The final Damn It!! in DAAMIT can finally be uttered.
Faceless Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 05:57 AM   #18
digitalwanderer
Dangerously Mirthful

digitalwanderer is still being judged by the masses

Good read Jim. Did you go through several stages of depression while writing your thingy too?

Bubbles Phenom II X4 965 BE, Gigabyte MA790FXT-UDP5, 2x2GB Corsair XMS3, ATi Radeon HD 5970, ADA885, Corsair 620hx, 200GB, 200GB, CD/DVD burner
Blue Phenom X4 9950 BE, Asus A8A32-MVP, 2x1Gb Crucial PC8500, ATi Radeon HD 4870, ATi 650 Theatre Pro, 250GB, 500GB
Darkstar Phenom II X4 955 BE, Asus M3A32-MVP, 1x2Gb Kingston HyperX PC8500, 512MB Radeon 5870, DVD, 80GB, 160GB
Fluffy Phenom II X4 940 BE ,Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H, 2x1Gb Corsair Dominator PC8500, ATi Radeon HD 4970, 250GB, QuickCam
Bertha Inspiron 1705 UXGA, C2D T5200 (1.6Ghz), 2Gb DDR2 @ 533, 256Mb ATi Mobility X1400, 120Gb 5400, CD/DVD burner
Baggo Dell Inspiron 8200, P4 1.8Ghz, 1-1/2Gb PC2100, 32Mb GeForce2 Go, 120Gb HDD

digitalwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 06:05 AM   #19
Pepsin
bananed

Pepsin is still being judged by the masses

It makes sense and I'm surprised it didn't happen earlier. The 4800 series GPUs did extremely well at a time when AMDs CPU division was really struggling. Putting an AMD logo on video card boxes might have improved AMDs reputation overall?

Too bad AMD won't be allowed to display their logo on Intel systems with Radeon graphics. That would have been great advertising Instead they've had to create an ugly, minimalist badge that only says "Radeon Graphics".
Old Aug 30, 2010, 08:06 AM   #20
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet View Post
What I don't understand is why the hell they would allow Radeon stickers on notebook systems without the AMD name on them. That is a colossal mistake!
AMD aren't particularly pleased about it either, but the option is to continue as they do now with no branding on systems with their hardware inside, or at least have the Radeon or FirePro branding. While the 800lb Gorilla is currently in chains, OEM partners remember that Kong escaped eventually and remembered those who turned on him. Similarly, Intel's FTC overseers won't be there in 6 years time, and anyone who wants to continue to enjoy a tier 1 relationship with Intel at that time - when they have integrated GPU, SoC management solutions, products from consumer through enterprise grade networking, computing, storage and management - will be reticent to stick the knife in now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyre Straits View Post

Of all the reasons to switch graphics card brands, that is the most asinine I have encountered. The only reasons to purchase should be based on performance, price, warranty and features. The sticker on the cards should be irrelevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalwanderer View Post
Good read Jim. Did you go through several stages of depression while writing your thingy too?
Thanks digi. Not really, I've been waiting for this since I saw that this was how ATI gets to be an integral part of AMD, being in FUSION. This is not the dismissal of ATI, but the full on acceptance of it with their core technologies and resources being key to the company's continued success.

My favorite part of the article is the interview with Terry and Eric
Old Aug 30, 2010, 09:08 AM   #21
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly once held a door open for a complete strangerSIrPauly once held a door open for a complete strangerSIrPauly once held a door open for a complete stranger

imho,

It's time to move forward considering the vision and future may be Fusion. Radeon is a strong brand name and a testament and legacy of ATI.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 09:36 AM   #22
Sound_Card
Banned

Sound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySound_Card can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I guess it was a matter of time. I hope they know what they are doing. ATi is a very powerful name in graphics. Couple things though...
1) Get rid of Green. Seriously. It's an ugly sea green for one, and two, Nvidia is green. Make the company color red.
2) Radeon is powerful and I'm glad they are pushing it's name instead of just ATi Premium graphics. That always seemed silly to me. However, why no AMD under or over Radeon?
Sound_Card is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 09:40 AM   #23
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Old Aug 30, 2010, 09:49 AM   #24
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Got an email from AMD's, Dave Erskine, thought I'd share:

Quote:
Hi James,

Good article, very detailed. I know it is tough to watch the ATI name go by the wayside but I also think that it will help in terms of creating more awareness for AMD graphics.

Best regards,

Dave
Old Aug 30, 2010, 09:50 AM   #25
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

I may be misunderstanding or I skimmed over something important - but I'm looking at the chart at the end that shows that all AMD CPUs (except Opterons) are going to be branded as "Vision".

What's up with that? They're going to rename all their CPUs to "Vision"? Or is that basically just showing there will be a single case badge and they'll (presumably) still maintain their individual CPU names?

I like the existing CPU badges "Vision" as a branding for a processor is kind of lame, IMHO - sounds kind of like something I'd expect to see on a Mac not a PC, which is to say it seems pretentious and more like a name for a fashion line instead of a processor line

Last edited by Sweetz : Aug 30, 2010 at 09:55 AM.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 09:58 AM   #26
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Read more about VISION here and here
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:09 AM   #27
Treeckcold57
Good ol' ATI

Treeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird singsTreeckcold57 knows why the caged bird sings

As long as they keeping the Radeon name and red color. That's fine with me. But I do like ATI name. Because its sound a cool name.

AMD Phenom II X2 555 @ stock clock
Xigamtek Knight cooler
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 1333 (4x4GB)
Intel 530 240GB SSD
XFX ATI Radeon 4870 1GB
Antec Truepower 750W
NZXT Source 210
Windows 7 x64

AMD FX-8350 @ stock clock
Gigabyte GA-990FX-UD5 R5
G.Skill Sniper 16GB (8x2) DDR3 1866
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro 7 rev. 2
Gigabyte Windforce 7950 3GB Ghz Edition
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD
EVGA SuperNova 650W
NZXT Source 210 w/ two Noctua F-12 fans
Ubuntu MATE 64-bit
Intel i5 3570K @ stock clock | G.Skill 16GB (8GBx2) DDR3 1866 | Silicon Power 60GB SSD | Win 10 Pro x64 | NZXT Source 210
Treeckcold57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:13 AM   #28
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeckcold57 View Post
As long as they keeping the Radeon name and red color. That's fine with me. But I do like ATI name. Because its sound a cool name.
Yeah, I agree, but that's nostalgia talking, for me. From a marketing standpoint, I think it was more than a little confusing. Do we call it AMD ATI Radeon? AMD Radeon? ATI Radeon? We've had this discussion more than once, in regard to how best to write it in reviews, and there are generally as many opinions as people. In the end, the common thread is - Radeon. That's the key label, along with the color, and the product name that people recognize.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:18 AM   #29
CATALYST maker
dominATIon

CATALYST maker is still being judged by the masses

THIS SUCKS!!!!

How did Eric get a Japanese Ruby and I didnt??????

GRRRRR
http://www.tmakworld.com
CATALYST maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:18 AM   #30
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Read more about VISION here and here
This is so anal retentive, but it bugs me that they're calling it VISION, but the logo actually says VISIOn.

Especially because RADEON still has a normal captial N.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote