Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Nov 9, 2010, 08:36 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Nvidia GTX 580 Graphics Card Review @ Rage3D.com

NVIDIA's new GeForce GTX 580 has arrived, ready for the holiday season. With a fancy new cooler, microarchitecture improvements and a renewed vigor pumping triangles, is it man enough to take on Crossfire HD 6850's, an ATI Radeon HD 5870 2GB, and the worlds fastest graphics card - the ATI Radeon HD 5970? Yep, and then he's gonna take your lunch money.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 Video Card Review @ Rage3D.com
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 08:50 AM   #2
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Reading now.
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 09:46 AM   #3
Pestul
Radeon Evergreen

Pestul is still being judged by the masses

Good stuff. Seems to be quite comparable to the 5970 and absolutely rocks ATI in tessellation performance. I have to commend Nvidia on this one.. looks to be a great card. Now get that price down to the $400 range!
[Antec 902 Case w/Antec Truepower 750] [ASUS P6T SE Crossflashed to WS Pro] [Xeon X5650 @4.2GHz] [Thermalrite Ultra 120 Extreme] [12GB G.Skill DDR3 @1691 9-9-9-24-1T] [Zotac GTX970] [180GB Intel 330 SSD, 640GB WD Black, 3TB Toshiba] [27" iMac IPS 1440p]
Pestul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 9, 2010, 09:49 AM   #4
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Thanks. Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback.
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:26 AM   #5
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

The card drew 16,765 Watts!? You must have some power supply Jim (page 7 first graph is mislabeled).
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:32 AM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

looks fine to me?

Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:34 AM   #7
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

That's not page 7, now is it

Last edited by Sweetz : Nov 9, 2010 at 10:36 AM.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:38 AM   #8
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

looks fine to me

Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:43 AM   #9
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

I enjoyed the article, only thing is I don't see the point of [email protected] benches, useless program. That's just my opinion.

Also cosmetically, why make the page so narrow? But that's not really important. A drop down menu would also be greatly appreciated. I like that you're using a PHII X6, almost no one else does (I happen to have one so it's relevant to me).
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:46 AM   #10
bill dennison
Rage3D Spammer

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

great review
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 10:49 AM   #11
shadow001
Captain thread derail....

shadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Anandtech's review is also up,and they tested quite a lot of games in their review.

Bottom line is that their overall opinion is that the GTX580 is the card that the GTX480 should have been,but that if the user is willing to consider multi-GPU setups and their higher power consumption,the HD6870 in crossfire and the HD5970 are roughly the same price,and usually faster,and it remains to be seen what the situation will be like when the Cayman and antillies cards are released.

Personally,i think that the GTX580 will have it's hands full with cayman,and given that the existing HD5970 cards,wich have been out for a year,are still competitive products against the GTX580,there's no doubt that the antillies will be the fastest card again,despite being dual GPU,since it has to be faster than the HD5970,as it's the replacement card for it.

So will Nvidia release a dual GPU card,using the same GF110 GPU that the GTX580 uses to fight antillies is the question here?
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:08 AM   #12
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet View Post
I enjoyed the article, only thing is I don't see the point of [email protected] benches, useless program. That's just my opinion.

Also cosmetically, why make the page so narrow? But that's not really important. A drop down menu would also be greatly appreciated. I like that you're using a PHII X6, almost no one else does (I happen to have one so it's relevant to me).
The [email protected] benches are important to a market segment, so we consider it a value add for those readers. That said, it does fail as a tool for comparing AMD and Nvidia graphics cards, since the limiting factor is the client rather than the hardware.

Ctrl +/- will adjust the page width along with the font size. Not the preferred solution, but works for now.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:16 AM   #13
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

I think this card is great. However, the days of me shelling out $500+ for the top-tier graphics card are over.

I'm very interested in the second-tier product they come out with using this architecture. If they come out with a GTX 570 that offers 480 performance while requiring only 2 six-pin power connectors for $350-400, I think I might just pick that up.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 11:40 AM   #14
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

It looks interesting but without the context of the new Radeons it's hard to say how good it is.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 01:32 PM   #15
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post
It looks interesting but without the context of the new Radeons it's hard to say how good it is.
exactly.. heck even the 5770s successor (Bart) showed that in crossfire they were as fast and much cheaper. I imagine the 6970 will be comparable and it's foolish to jump at the 580 with the 6900s right around the corner.. at the very least it will most likely put pressure on pricing, thus allowing better deals for those seeking to live in the green camp
Old Nov 9, 2010, 01:52 PM   #16
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly once held a door open for a complete strangerSIrPauly once held a door open for a complete strangerSIrPauly once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
I agree with this.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 01:57 PM   #17
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet View Post
It's a good real-world application to use for power and heat testing, and there is a fair amount of interest here for it. I think more people want to know power draw and temps using real world apps than Furmark, now.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 01:59 PM   #18
Pestul
Radeon Evergreen

Pestul is still being judged by the masses

After reading a few of the early reviews, I was pretty confident the 6970 would best it on average (excluding tessellation), but now I'm not so sure. I think the 580 will be slightly faster than the 6970 since it seems to be quite a large jump above the 480. Guess we'll know very soon.. unless the delay rumors surrounding the Cayman are true.

Good to hear that the 580 will be available for purchase in decent quantities. This should really drive competition for the highend DX11 market.
[Antec 902 Case w/Antec Truepower 750] [ASUS P6T SE Crossflashed to WS Pro] [Xeon X5650 @4.2GHz] [Thermalrite Ultra 120 Extreme] [12GB G.Skill DDR3 @1691 9-9-9-24-1T] [Zotac GTX970] [180GB Intel 330 SSD, 640GB WD Black, 3TB Toshiba] [27" iMac IPS 1440p]
Pestul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 02:02 PM   #19
shadow001

shadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete strangershadow001 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

That's actually a curious answer to be honest,since if you look at the performance numbers shown,it is an insanely fast single GPU card,and much faster than any previous single GPU card,so why wouldn't it be considered extremely good,period?

I mean even if cayman ends up being faster,it's unlikely that the lead would be huge enough to even notice in actual games anyhow,and it would only be noticed in FPS charts.

You could probably swap the cards in a given system,keep all possible means to identify the hardware hidden from the user(hardware and software wise),and said user will never notice the difference between both when playing games with any sort of reliability.

I guess the silence with regards to cayman,even though the release is supposed to be only 2 weeks away,is starting to get to me...
Old Nov 9, 2010, 02:05 PM   #20
Ancient76
Rage3D Veteran

Ancient76 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAncient76 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

There's no GTX 480 to compare?

And where is Stalker CoP in this test?
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 02:05 PM   #21
Skynet
Banned

At the $500 price point, I don't think the 580 will do much of anything in terms of market share. But what it does do is restore Nvidia's credibility, Fermi has been largely looked upon as a failure in many metrics, the 580 reverses this for the most part.

That credibility can go a long way to pushing the mainstream volume stuff where the bread and butter profits come from, so a very important launch for Nvidia. It remains to be seen if the GTX 580 is a "15 minutes of fame" card, depending on what AMD brings to the table, and most importantly, when.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 02:08 PM   #22
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

Noice review as always! Can't wait to see what the competition does. I agree with the poster above who said that we can't really judge how good this part is until the 6970 benches get released.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 02:18 PM   #23
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient76 View Post
There's no GTX 480 to compare?

And where is Stalker CoP in this test?
I don't have a GTX 480, sorry.

I ran out of time to run Stalker Benchies, even using the benchmark tool.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 02:29 PM   #24
Ancient76
Rage3D Veteran

Ancient76 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAncient76 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
I don't have a GTX 480, sorry.

I ran out of time to run Stalker Benchies, even using the benchmark tool.
Ok. Thanks.

Btw, review is great.
Ancient76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 02:45 PM   #25
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Thanks!
Old Nov 9, 2010, 03:17 PM   #26
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
That's actually a curious answer...snip...
I stand by what I said.

Especially price but also performance of Cayman could make a big difference in how attractive this card is. Its not a question of whether the card is good or bad but of how competitive it will be with the new Radeons.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 03:29 PM   #27
icecold1983
Radeon Arctic Islands

icecold1983 is still being judged by the masses

nice review jim

http://gawker.com/5002269/the-cruise...ed-to-suppress

AHAHAHAH WTF IS HE TALKING ABOUT??????????
icecold1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 03:43 PM   #28
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

thanks, glad you like it. sorry its a bit light on games and benchmarks, but I only got the card friday night, and spent a lot of time saturday fighting with my XFX X58 motherboard, which won't POST with more than 1 stick of ram installed now.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 03:45 PM   #29
shadow001

Quote:
I stand by what I said.

Especially price but also performance of Cayman could make a big difference in how attractive this card is. Its not a question of whether the card is good or bad but of how competitive it will be with the new Radeons.

Unless the performance difference is much larger than what's usually been the case over the last several years,at least in most cases,it won't be a 10~15% performance gap between the HD6970 and the GTX580 that will be enough on it's own,to declare a winner or a loser overall,as price will also come into it,power consumption as well.

It's basically too close to call unless performance gaps,even as small as 5 Fps between both,are hugely important to a given user.....Now if the gap is much larger than that,i can see your point.

In my case it gets even more complicated since there's 3 cards to feed,so driver optimizations also play a huge role in distributing the workload as efficiently as possible between the 3 GPU's,not to mention how well the driver uses all those CPU cores,even when individual strongpoints of each architecture aren't in the final consideration....It's getting pretty hard to evaluate GPU's now that their architectures are so flexible and complex to be honest,and each one has particular strong points.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 04:03 PM   #30
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
It's basically too close to call unless performance gaps,even as small as 5 Fps between both,are hugely important to a given user.....Now if the gap is much larger than that,i can see your point.
An awful lot of ifs, since you're comparing known specs to unknown specs. Will be very interesting to see where things sit once Cayman hits the scene - and whether early 580 adopters will be sporting smiles or frowns, when the compare their investment with what has just been added to the table.