Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:14 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Superclocked Video Card Review @ Rage3D.com

Nvidia's 'Mid Life Kicker' gives the boot to AMD's HD 5800 range with the new EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Superclocked showing how it's done. Our investigation looks at how the EVGA's $369 card compares with it's big GTX 580 brother, and AMD's Radeon HD 5970 OC, HD 5870 2GB and HD 6870 cards.

EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Superclocked Video Card Review @ Rage3D.com
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:27 PM   #2
ragejg
Rage3d Staff Emeritus

ragejg is still being judged by the masses

Me likey!

Great selection of tests. Good job.
ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:36 PM   #3
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Subscriber

nice review as always!

and @ overclock results
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:39 PM   #4
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

great review

last pic of card nice dust
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:43 PM   #5
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

"The pricing of the GeForce GTX 580 lends itself to comparisons with the similarly priced Sapphire Radeon HD 5970 OC, but the strong positioning of the GeForce GTX 570 leaves AMD without a really good answer - this week, anyway."

yoz
acroig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 12:44 PM   #6
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
great review

last pic of card nice dust
I wanted to show it was actually used. Kinda artsy, gritty, real world feel. Not at all that I was in a blazing hurry and couldn't even find time to wipe the card with my sleeve. nope, not at all. :embarrased:
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 03:57 PM   #7
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

so can we now have the 580 and 570 rage3d giveaway contest?

i mean, what are you ati fanboys gonna do with the dirty geforces. give them away!
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 03:59 PM   #8
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

well, we might hold on to them for a week or so

y;know, just in case
Old Dec 7, 2010, 04:07 PM   #9
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
well, we might hold on to them for a week or so

y;know, just in case
no need to rerun the same benches again

well i can wait a week its not a big deal
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7, 2010, 09:44 PM   #10
moshpit
Resident Mac Hater

moshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete strangermoshpit once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

As usual, top job! One of the better 570 reviews out there. Keep it up, Cavey!
Old Feb 10, 2011, 05:30 PM   #11
BBA
GTX 570 SC+ATi GPU

BBA is still being judged by the masses

Great review, it impressed me enough to buy this card. I bought this card last weekend.

The reality is: It's not compatible with about 90% of the motherboards out there (mine included, XFX X58i). Thanks to EVGA lifetime warranty and NO RETURN FOR REFUND policy...I am stuck with an expensive paperweight.

I may contact the BBB.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 06:09 PM   #12
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBA View Post
The reality is: It's not compatible with about 90% of the motherboards out there (mine included, XFX X58i).
Which BIOS are you running? I have an XFX X58i, I will test it with the 570 to see what happens tomorrow, if I can.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 06:52 PM   #13
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBA View Post
The reality is: It's not compatible with about 90% of the motherboards out there
Wait, what?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:01 PM   #14
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

For reference: The Nvidia 400/500 series lockup club! Have a Fermi based card that's locking up/blackscreens? Welcome! (@ nvidia forums)

Also, looks like BBA did get an official response from XFX at some point regarding the issue:

Quote:
[ERIK_A 2/10/2011 2:59:37 AM] Hi Bill, The reason this is happening is because of the Nvidia HDMI audio device in the GTX570 cards, unfortunately we dont have any workarounds or fixes on the motherboards end for this. The only fix we have seen has been video card BIOS updates that disable the the HDMI audio chip, some of the EVGA 4 series cards had an alternate BIOS that did that, but havnt heard anything about the 5 series cards. - Erik
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=...5&postcount=28

BBA will have to give the full context though.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:40 PM   #15
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Thanks for clearing that up Lupine, what a PITA for those users.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:43 PM   #16
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

I've got a GTX 580 working fine in an X58 board right now, no problems. It's not the XFX board but it's brand new to the market.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:49 PM   #17
demo
space cadet

Quote:
I've got a GTX 580 working fine in an X58 board right now, no problems. It's not the XFX board but it's brand new to the market.
I posted in the other thread, but might aswell post here too, I have seen 3 systems first hand without issue using 3 different mobos all listed as incompatible in that thread.. so meh I dunno.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 10:54 PM   #18
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Might be related to early board designs/BIOS. My XFX X58i is an old design, rev 1.0 I believe, and running bios 2.0 or 2.5 iirc.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 09:41 AM   #19
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

OK, I'm installing Forceware 266.58 with HDMI Audio drivers now.

From the brief skim of the nvidia thread it seems disabling the audio device in windows might resolve any issues.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 12:38 PM   #20
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Worked fine all morning for me, XFX x58i with bios 2.1. Is there something specific you can do that reproduces the problem?

EDIT - OK, did a reboot and it was slow start up, now applications are slow to load and apps like speedfan, CPU-z don't start fast at all. Disabling the NVIDIA Audio devices and updating the onboard Realtek audio devices hasn't helped.

Last edited by caveman-jim : Feb 11, 2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 02:00 PM   #21
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

lol no 6950 or 6970. Wtf?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 03:21 PM   #22
BBA
GTX 570 SC+ATi GPU

Quote:
Which BIOS are you running? I have an XFX X58i, I will test it with the 570 to see what happens tomorrow, if I can.
I have the 10/09/09 ver 08.00.15 bios. There were none available on XFX website to update with BUT...I got an email from one of the XFX techs and he emailed me a ver.13 bios file package. I am going to update to those sometime this weekend and see if it makes a difference. Problem is my mother in law is in the hospital with her death rattle and my weekend will be obligated to family. (I shouldn't even be on the PC right now but needed a release).
Old Feb 11, 2011, 03:35 PM   #23
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
lol no 6950 or 6970. Wtf?
The 570 was released before the 6900 series, remember lol wtf hurr durr
Old Feb 11, 2011, 03:41 PM   #24
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

OK, so the system is now hardlocking on startup during windows loading screen now. Problem reproduced. Currently playing with IOH voltage to see if there is anything to change the behaviour, like turning spread spectrum on/off, bumping IOH voltage, adjusting PCI-E speed.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 04:09 PM   #25
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Keeping 100MHz PCI-E speed and spread specturm disabled fixed the boot failures, bumping CPU PLL voltage increased performance at the desktop and stability.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 03:20 AM   #26
BBA
GTX 570 SC+ATi GPU

Quote:
Keeping 100MHz PCI-E speed and spread specturm disabled fixed the boot failures, bumping CPU PLL voltage increased performance at the desktop and stability.
Thats great news...I will try this tomorrow. I have the card at my friends house to verify it actually works, and it does for him, so when I get it back I'll make these changes.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 06:59 AM   #27
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Ah. Didn't see date on thread...
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:08 AM   #28
BBA
GTX 570 SC+ATi GPU

Quote:
Might be related to early board designs/BIOS. My XFX X58i is an old design, rev 1.0 I believe, and running bios 2.0 or 2.5 iirc.
I really appreciate all the work you are doing, especially from a site not even dedicated to making an nvidia card work...

I just flashed the bios with the version the XFX tech sent me and I'm at version 1.3, can you doublecheck your bios? I have a feeling he sent me an older bios he found somewhere.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 10:37 AM   #29
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Yeah, mine is version 2.1. Request it from your XFX contact. My board is product code MD-X58I-CH09, is that the same as yours?
Old Feb 12, 2011, 03:16 PM   #30
BBA
GTX 570 SC+ATi GPU

Quote:
Yeah, mine is version 2.1. Request it from your XFX contact. My board is product code MD-X58I-CH09, is that the same as yours?
Yep, same model. No luck with the 2.5 bios, the guys at XFX seem to feel like it's asking too much for a recent bios. You don't happen to have the flash files for it do you?