Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old May 25, 2011, 12:55 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

AMD AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Review @ Rage3D.com

AMD bumps clocks once again, taking the Phenom II X4 to the dizzying 3.7GHz heights, where only Pentium IVs once dared ship. Are four cores, an unlocked multiplier and a price lower than the outgoing model enough to keep interest high in this product line?

AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Review @ Rage3D.com
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 03:25 AM   #2
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Need to overclock the CPU-NB aswell, helps memory performance alot and is also unlocked on Black Edition CPUs.

Default is 2000MHz, but AMD recommends at least 2400MHz for DDR31600 memory. You should be able to hit 2.6-2.8GHz.

Also, have load line calibration enabled? 4.3GHz should be possible with that.
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2011, 09:30 AM   #3
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Yes, load line calibration was enabled. Thanks for the feedback!
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 26, 2011, 09:30 AM   #4
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

No problem, its something most reviewers forget.

In AIDA64 memory benchmark, my read is 11069MB/s while your AMD systems are all way below that. Im pretty sure the x6 will benefit large from the increased CPU-NB in memory benchmarks (as they can hit around 3GHz speeds).
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus

Last edited by Danny Nissan : May 26, 2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old May 26, 2011, 11:36 AM   #5
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

You are correct. This latest round of benchmarks and reviews has been more limited than they normally are. There are always things I want to do in testing that I don't have time for, but since the April 27th storms in my area I have had less time to do testing as I've been volunteering in clean up. I personally know 30 people who have major damage to their homes, and there are tens of thousands more that need help. So I pitch in where I can, and unfortunately that means less time for playing with computers.

I appreciate the feedback and tips, thanks for sharing. Hopefully I can include that in a future test.
Old May 26, 2011, 12:08 PM   #6
Crisler
SAPPHIRE PR REP

Crisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCrisler can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I think the real excitement about this release is no the 980 itself but what it did to the product lineup as a whole. The 955 is pirced now at $120 or less on sale. This mean currently at the Egg you can get a Black Edition, full Phenom II 955 for $15 more the same speed but speed locked and no L3 cached 840.

The 955 is serious the best bank for the buck in building a new system right now.

#SapphireNation
Crisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 12:48 PM   #7
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisler View Post
I think the real excitement about this release is no the 980 itself but what it did to the product lineup as a whole. The 955 is pirced now at $120 or less on sale. This mean currently at the Egg you can get a Black Edition, full Phenom II 955 for $15 more the same speed but speed locked and no L3 cached 840.

The 955 is serious the best bank for the buck in building a new system right now.

i kind of think now they can ditch some of the processors and keep the entire phenom II lineup quad core. Remove the dual cores, keep the tri cores quad cores and hex cores. The speed bumps have pushed down the pricing on the whole lineup and made some of them irrelevant.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 01:30 PM   #8
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

The Phenom II line up is about to be obsolete anyway, they're just going to firesale them and ditch the retail line over the next 9-12mo and just keep what they have for existing OEM's that might need replacements.
Old May 26, 2011, 01:47 PM   #9
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
You are correct. This latest round of benchmarks and reviews has been more limited than they normally are. There are always things I want to do in testing that I don't have time for, but since the April 27th storms in my area I have had less time to do testing as I've been volunteering in clean up. I personally know 30 people who have major damage to their homes, and there are tens of thousands more that need help. So I pitch in where I can, and unfortunately that means less time for playing with computers.

I appreciate the feedback and tips, thanks for sharing. Hopefully I can include that in a future test.
Oh my, i had no idea. Good on you and other volunteers for helping people in need!

iPhone 8 Plus
Old May 26, 2011, 10:21 PM   #10
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Disappointed in the lack of 965 involved in the benchmarks, would of been a good bench to see the old king vs the new king on the same.... Whats the word I am looking for.. Range? (both being X4s and once touted king of the lineup)
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 11:24 PM   #11
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshSasquach kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
Disappointed in the lack of 965 involved in the benchmarks, would of been a good bench to see the old king vs the new king on the same.... Whats the word I am looking for.. Range? (both being X4s and once touted king of the lineup)
every PII from 965 to 980 has been the former king.....

And each successor was always benched against the previous king, in this case the 975.
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + Asus Dual Radeon RX 6600
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011, 08:11 AM   #12
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Anyone with a 965 or 975 isn't going to buy a 980. They might consider an X6.
Old May 27, 2011, 08:45 AM   #13
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Oh I know. But I was just curious how it would stand is all. The 965 was such a great processor. Considering how well it has aged. I regret getting rid of mine.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2011, 09:46 PM   #14
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I've built 5 desktops on 955 Blacks but only cuz we got them cheap. No OC'ing but I figured they'd be a lot cooler then say a Phenom II X4 840.
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 03:07 AM   #15
Apocalypsee
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
I've built 5 desktops on 955 Blacks but only cuz we got them cheap. No OC'ing but I figured they'd be a lot cooler then say a Phenom II X4 840.
If you want to run it cooler, lower it voltage to around 1.2V, if the BIOS setting isn't available use k10stats to control each power planes voltage. These are my personal setting

If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
(d) Must use fire.
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 09:03 AM   #16
DarthElvis
Radeon R300

DarthElvis is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Nissan View Post

In AIDA64 memory benchmark, my read is 11069MB/s while your AMD systems are all way below that.(as they can hit around 3GHz speeds).
Could using 3 sticks of ram in an AMD system and expecting dual channel operation have anything to do with it ?
DarthElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2011, 11:54 AM   #17
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
They are the same TDP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthElvis View Post
Could using 3 sticks of ram in an AMD system and expecting dual channel operation have anything to do with it ?
He is talking about overclocking the HT link.
Old May 29, 2011, 04:48 AM   #18
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
He is talking about overclocking the HT link.
Just to be clear, I mean the CPU-NB (or "uncore" as its called sometimes).

The HT Link is the "hyper transport", wich also comes at 2000MHz standard but usually overclocking this is not needed.

In, for example, CPU-z (the application), the CPU-NB is the clock in "memory" tab, saying "NB frequency".

The CPU-NB is inside the CPU itself, and each CPU overclocks diffrently.

The HT Link is mostly a motherboard limitation. Overclocking this is mostly only needed for Crossfire systems, or systems with more than 1 CPU (i mean physical CPU, not cores).

iPhone 8 Plus
Old May 30, 2011, 07:34 PM   #19
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Yah, I knew what you meant just typed it wrong. thanks for the clarification