Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Rage3D Articles and Reviews Comments
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rage3D Articles and Reviews Comments Your commentary and feedback on Rage3D original features and reviews.

Old Apr 16, 2012, 12:50 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

AMD Eric Demers - Farewell Interview @ Rage3D.com

Eric Demers, former AMD CTO and VP, Graphics Product Division, gave us a few minutes of his time as he transitions into his new role as VP of Engineering for Qualcomm.

Eric Demers - Farewell Interview
Old Apr 16, 2012, 02:08 PM   #2
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Nice interview! Thanks!
Old Apr 17, 2012, 02:10 AM   #3
Spyhawk
Radeon Evergreen

Spyhawk is still being judged by the masses

Aye, great interview. Thanks !!

I must of missed it but did we ever know the reasons behind his departure from AMD. This really came out of left field.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 17, 2012, 06:06 AM   #4
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Great group of guys or gentlemen there at AMD, hopefully he will continue to have those great successes that he had in the past. Who knows in the future he could take over AMD .
Old Apr 17, 2012, 08:31 AM   #5
hwhacker
Radeon R300

hwhacker is still being judged by the masses

ATI Technologies

Thanks for this.

It's always been a treat for us laymen to read interviews with Mr. Demers over the years, let-alone enjoy the fruits of his labor. He is, without a doubt, a key individual that set ATi (et al) apart from other tech companies and made backseat and Monday-morning gpu engineers out of a generation of forum/tech nerds. He has given us looks inside the thought-processes and design intricacies on countless occasions that are priceless. That pulling back of the curtain, in my opinion, has always made me root for their team on a purely sentimental level. There never was an Eric Demers at nvidia, and it's one of those intangibles that I'm sure many, wither you realize it or not, relate to when you think about the differences between those companies and their public persona in relation to tech geek culture. ATi always seemed like a group of friendly engineers that loved to talk about what they do on a deeply technological level, and was for moving the bar forward in a non-proprietary way even when it was detrimental to them personally. I think a lot of that mind share is because of Eric.

I don't know if many stop and realize some of the great technology breakdowns (that non-engineers can understand) provided by Anand, R3D, B3D, and other reputable sites are largely because of him. When you stop and realize he also had a major hand in how all those things actually came to be, it's a little mind-blowing.

Think about Anand's pretty spectacular articles on the origins of R770 and Cypress. Think about the nitty-gritty articles from Rage and Beyond regarding even the R300 and R600. How many companies have someone fundamentally rooted in their products that either can or will articulate that information to the public? It's rare, and it's pretty damn awesome.

Once again, I wish him luck. He best not become a stranger.

One thing is for sure, when Qualcomm introduces a new product from now on I'll be paying attention. Hopefully the VP of engineering will make himself available for comment.

On every other forum I am known as "turtle". I signed up for R3D back when I co-ran the now-defunct hwhackers.com.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:33 AM   #6
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwhacker View Post
Where is a +rep button when you need it. Excellent post.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:31 AM   #7
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyhawk View Post
I must of missed it but did we ever know the reasons behind his departure from AMD. This really came out of left field.
Eric's a high class guy and he left AMD on good terms. All he would say about moving on is 'change fosters change'.

To my mind, when a major leadership change occurs in a company, people take stock of what they're doing, how they're doing, what their life plan is etc. While the change (a new CEO, with new vision and plan) can prompt the re-evaluation, the decisions from the introspection aren't necessarily in response to market forces, management changes, or job duties, but a listening to the internal voice and responding to what that says.

It's easy to say, ah, new CEO, must have butted heads or he doesn't like the new strategy, but that's selling short people who have a large vision and passion and don't feel that one job, role or time period is enough to be fulfilling forever.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 01:11 PM   #8
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

2900xt stills remains in my heart....
Is good for competition but for me nvidia remains a borring player somehow..
Ati original stuff (this is why i bought the 2900xt the first 300euros + card)
I loved the 2 bios switch in 6900 series..I already made some very risky flashes from windows and actually the pc became unstable..But i was fine..No fear..The switch was there..
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:41 PM   #9
sireric
ATI Guru

sireric is still being judged by the masses

Thanks guys. Really nice words. Means a lot.

I love sharing my passion with folks, and getting them to understand why I thinks it's cool. I will continue that, just attuned to some of the new technologies that are becoming dominant, but which can also teach me may new things...
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:37 AM   #10
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sireric View Post
Thanks guys. Really nice words. Means a lot.

I love sharing my passion with folks, and getting them to understand why I thinks it's cool. I will continue that, just attuned to some of the new technologies that are becoming dominant, but which can also teach me may new things...

Don't forget to throw some sugestions to ati guys at a coffee so they still make a good VGA without you :P
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:04 AM   #11
Dr. Zhivago
Sound: Serious Business

Dr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwardsDr. Zhivago can recite pi backwards

Great interview. Good luck, Eric! It was good to have you on the Red team.

Bedroom PC - Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 - AMD 1100T @3.7/4GHz - H50 - 8GB DDR3-1600 - HD 7870 OC - Samsung 840 250GB - WD 640GB Blue - Xonar DX - LG BDROM - Logitech 6110 - TT Volos - Antec 900 - CM 500W PSU - Samsung 32" HDTV - Onkyo TX-SR606 - BIC L/R & MTX Surround Speakers - Mission C70 Center - Sony 10" Sub - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

HTPC - Gigabyte GA-890GPA~UD3H - AthlonII X4 630 - HD6450 - 8GB DDR3-1333 - WD 500GB Black - WD 640GB Green - WD 2TB Green - LG BDROM - Ceton InfiniTV 4 w/ MCE Remote - Logitech MX5000 Laser Desktop - Corsair 450W - Silverstone LC10B-E - Sharp Aquos 46" HDTV - Onkyo TX-SR606 - PE 15" Sub - Classic Mission Speakers - Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

Office PC - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H - Intel 3570K - 16GB DDR3-1866 - HD 7950 FLEX - Samsung 840 250GB - WD 500GB Blue - WD 1TB Black - Xonar DX - Corsair 600W PSU - Antec ON1E - Logitech G5 - Logitech USB Media KB - AOC 23" LCD - Creative Inspire 2.1 - Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

5x Presentation Machines - Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3 - FX-8350 w/ FX WC - 8GB DDR3-1600 - 5870 or 7870 Eyefinity 6 - 2x Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - WD 500GB Black - DVDRW - Cooler Master Sileo 500 - 600W PSU - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit - Office 2010 Pro
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:56 AM   #12
demo
space cadet

demo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieseldemo exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Great questions & interview
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:35 AM   #13
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Thanks for the interview!
Eric congrats on the past and best wishes on your future endevours! Im sure youre going to kick ass as usual!