Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Archived Discussions » Rage3D Articles and Reviews Comments
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rage3D Articles and Reviews Comments Your commentary and feedback on Rage3D original features and reviews.

Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:36 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

AMD Rage3D Review - AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition Video Card

AMD aims to recapture the single-GPU performance crown with the new AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition, equipped with specially binned high-clocked ASICs, faster memory, and improved PowerTune that offers Boost clocks for more performance. Does AMD win, lose or draw at the $500 price point?

AMD Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition Video Card Review @ Rage3D.com
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:22 AM   #2
LordJuanlo
Catalyst Beta Tester

LordJuanlo is still being judged by the masses

Why Battlefield 3 in Eyefinity isn't scaling with Crossfire?

http://www.rage3d.com/reviews/video/.../index.php?p=6
3 x Radeon 7970 on 3 x Benq XL2420T (EyeFinity 5760x1080 @ 120Hz)
Onkyo TX-NR709 Receiver / KEF KHT 2005.3 Speakers / Westone 3 EarPhones
Ideazon Fang / Microsoft Wireless Controller / G27 Racing Wheel
Windows 8 Pro x64 / Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Oculus Rift
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Blín D'ñero
HD7970 crossfire

Blín D'ñero is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordJuanlo View Post

Look again, (with your eyes open )
a single 7979 GE: 49/67
7970 GE crossfire: 80/113.

That not scaling???
Intel i7 2700K @ 4.8 Ghz | Zalman CPNS9900LED | Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z | 16 GB Corsair Dominator GT CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 DDR3 | 2 x (Sapphire) AMD Radeon HD7970 (crossfire) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro | Corsair AX 1200W | 4 x WDC WD1002FAEX | Optiarc AD 5240S | Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600 | Steelseries 7G | Razer Imperator 2012 | Coolermaster Stacker STC T01 | Logitech Z-5500 | Sennheiser HD598 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 |
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:46 AM   #4
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Thanks, will read it!
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:53 AM   #5
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Nice read -- I do like the Supreme Commanders and quite the gain there in minimums.

I like the boost ability and efficiency gains as illustrated here:

http://www.computerbase.de/artikel/g...hz-edition/12/

It's awesome to see AMD aggressive, continue to try to raise the bar -- by offering more choice.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 08:53 AM   #6
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Solid review from the Rage3D team.

yoz
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:19 AM   #7
LordJuanlo
Catalyst Beta Tester

LordJuanlo is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blín D'ñero View Post
Look again, (with your eyes open )
a single 7979 GE: 49/67
7970 GE crossfire: 80/113.

That not scaling???
Look at the last two graphs (Eyefinity graphs):

Eyefinity single 7970: 21 fps min / 28 fps avg
Eyefinity dual 7970s: 21 fps min / 27 fps avg
3 x Radeon 7970 on 3 x Benq XL2420T (EyeFinity 5760x1080 @ 120Hz)
Onkyo TX-NR709 Receiver / KEF KHT 2005.3 Speakers / Westone 3 EarPhones
Ideazon Fang / Microsoft Wireless Controller / G27 Racing Wheel
Windows 8 Pro x64 / Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Oculus Rift
Old Jun 22, 2012, 09:28 AM   #8
Blín D'ñero
HD7970 crossfire

Blín D'ñero is still being judged by the masses

OOoooops sorry. In CF Eyefinity you said. Apparently i had my eyes closed when i read your post.

Please forgive me Lord.
Intel i7 2700K @ 4.8 Ghz | Zalman CPNS9900LED | Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z | 16 GB Corsair Dominator GT CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 DDR3 | 2 x (Sapphire) AMD Radeon HD7970 (crossfire) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro | Corsair AX 1200W | 4 x WDC WD1002FAEX | Optiarc AD 5240S | Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600 | Steelseries 7G | Razer Imperator 2012 | Coolermaster Stacker STC T01 | Logitech Z-5500 | Sennheiser HD598 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 |
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:28 AM   #9
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:

Quote:
Look at the last two graphs (Eyefinity graphs):

Eyefinity single 7970: 21 fps min / 28 fps avg
Eyefinity dual 7970s: 21 fps min / 27 fps avg
honestly, I don't know... driver install issue? eyefinity was... problematic with this driver to configure, but once the SLS was in place and BC configured it was solid. everything else performed as expected, i could go from one app with cfx eyefinity scaling showing to bf3 and get none, then back to another app and get more perf. Kinda short on time but my initial feeling is crossfire, eyefinity and bf3 engine are a hard combo. but it could be my noobiness.

thanks to all for your feedback. do you guys like the new 1 game per page format? I'm hoping to expand it to be more comprehensive including summaries of scaling and notes on stutter in future.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:45 AM   #10
jam2k

jam2k is still being judged by the masses

Last edited by jam2k : Jun 22, 2012 at 01:29 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 10:51 AM   #11
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Subscriber

Impressive that a single card can hang with the 6990 and 590/690
Old Jun 22, 2012, 11:35 AM   #12
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

yeah, Tahiti is really all about res. 1080 just isn't enough res for it. Strange world we live in.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:06 PM   #13
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
thanks to all for your feedback. do you guys like the new 1 game per page format? I'm hoping to expand it to be more comprehensive including summaries of scaling and notes on stutter in future.
Yes, I do. Any chance you can bench more demanding games? Don't exatcly know what but perhaps add Crysis 2 as a graphics benchie.

Just a thought. Some of the games there (say Balck Ops) are not stressful enought for these new cards.

yoz
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:16 PM   #14
jam2k

Last edited by jam2k : Jun 22, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:22 PM   #15
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Please do not hotlink images - its bad form. Rehost them (imgur etc) if you want to use forum img tags. IMG tags removed.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:31 PM   #16
jam2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
Please do not hotlink images - its bad form. Rehost them (imgur etc) if you want to use forum img tags. IMG tags removed.

DONE

Last edited by jam2k : Jun 22, 2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:34 PM   #17
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SAPPHIRE PREPARES NEW TOXIC AND VAPOR-X MODELS:

Jun 22, 2012

Faster GCN models to come!

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presenta...articleID=4524
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:42 PM   #18
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Yes, I do. Any chance you can bench more demanding games? Don't exatcly know what but perhaps add Crysis 2 as a graphics benchie.

Just a thought. Some of the games there (say Balck Ops) are not stressful enought for these new cards.
yeah i'm looking at the games and trying to find new ones.

crysis 2 I keep having activation problems with... once I get that resolved it'll be back in the mix.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:46 PM   #19
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
yeah i'm looking at the games and trying to find new ones.

crysis 2 I keep having activation problems with... once I get that resolved it'll be back in the mix.
Honestly, as you mentioned, these new cards can handle anything out there at 1080p. Hard to make 'em sweat a bit.

yoz
Old Jun 22, 2012, 02:59 PM   #20
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

So, are 1080p benchmarks even useful any more? Can we take as given that $400-$500 GPU's are going to be plenty for the 1080 gamer, and we should consider big res only? 2560 and up? Or is the contrast of interest? Or should all the 1080 stuff be about going beyond game settings, adding IQ modes?
Old Jun 22, 2012, 03:22 PM   #21
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Honestly, as you mentioned, these new cards can handle anything out there at 1080p. Hard to make 'em sweat a bit.
they (7970/680)can do most games at 1600p just a faw games need cfx/sli now

next time with a 8970 or 9970 witch ever i get next i will only get one card
Old Jun 22, 2012, 06:30 PM   #22
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

1080p benches are still useful, since the demanding games still have a minimum framerate below 60 using a single card.

Last edited by Mangler : Jun 22, 2012 at 06:36 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 06:39 AM   #23
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Subscriber

I game at 1080P and have a 7970. I like to pile on the AA and also like Mangler said, some games can still make the card drop below 60fps.

1080P is still relevant I'd say.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:55 AM   #24
KAC
It might be gays!

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

90% of the population is on 1080P. So yes it is relevant
Also, doing video card reviews without competition always never makes sense to me.
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:10 AM   #25
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
So, are 1080p benchmarks even useful any more? Can we take as given that $400-$500 GPU's are going to be plenty for the 1080 gamer, and we should consider big res only? 2560 and up? Or is the contrast of interest? Or should all the 1080 stuff be about going beyond game settings, adding IQ modes?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
1080p benches are still useful, since the demanding games still have a minimum framerate below 60 using a single card.
Agreed. I was trying out Crysis: Warhead last night and in the hovercraft ice level the FPS dipped into the mid 30s maxed @ 1080.

I know lots of peeps here don't like FXAA / MLAA but it's great to play games that u can't force MSAA on well with these AA methods.

yoz
Old Jun 23, 2012, 11:11 AM   #26
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
Also, doing video card reviews without competition always never makes sense to me.
I know Jim tried to get a 670/680 but he's had no luck so far due to low inventories.

yoz
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:03 PM   #27
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
90% of the population is on 1080P. So yes it is relevant
by the same token, "90% of the population" don't buy $400+ video cards, so maybe we shouldn't be exaiming those either ?
Old Jun 23, 2012, 04:16 PM   #28
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Well, it's a bit too early to say that 1080p benches are useless when you have 30fps minimums at 1080p in your review.

That's my take on it.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 06:04 AM   #29
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
I know Jim tried to get a 670/680 but he's had no luck so far due to low inventories.
Kombatant has one...
Old Jun 24, 2012, 08:12 AM   #30
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Kombatant has one...
You think he can send it over?

yoz